Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? (7176 Views)

A Company Director At 29, How Adetola Durojaiye Rose To The Top In Five Years / Loyalty To A Company Vs Gaining Experience And Moving To Another Company / Jobless Lady Returns Money A Company Mistakenly Paid Into Her Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by cokeryusuf09(m): 8:13am On Aug 19, 2023
Good morning everyone, can someone tell me how to know if a remote data entry job is a scam, especially if you cannot find a company in a Google search?
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by IyaTola: 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2023
There are two options to climbing the career ladder in the private sector.

A. Staying loyal to your company and gradually climbing through the ranks

Pros
1. You gain a lot of benefit that comes with loyalty. The remunerations and benefits increase as you spend more years within the coy. In some private companies, you may be eligible for pension and gratuity; and in some, your allotted vacation time increases with time.

2. The job becomes easy over time and you get more settled within the job. You’re familiar with the basics, this translates to less stress.

Cons
1. There could be massive competition amongst your teammates. As an example, a group of 20 trainees recruited at the same time will have to compete for like 1-2 positions during promotion. This could get nasty especially in an organization with lots of unprofessional colleagues. The unprofessional ones I’m talking about are the ones who gossip around to bring people down, the individuals who pay with their genitals and the stooges who lick behinds.

2. Your value may be downplayed. Your best bet is to up your game by adding professionalism and excellence to your service; else you’re just another employee they’ve seen all he/she has to offer.

3. Thin/Scanty resume with limited industry experience. Your experience can best be referred to as homogeneous.

4. In a situation where your bosses have favourites, you might be in for a long thing. Your promotion may not come in 10 years especially if they don’t like you; politicking has never left the corporate environment and it won’t end on you.

5. You’re not immune to mass retrenchment.

B. Gaining experience for a limited time and applying for the next position elsewhere.

A valid sample is Mr. A who currently works as a team supervisor with Fidelity bank. Mr. A works for 2 years and applies to GTBank as station Manager. Mr. A works with GTB for 3 years and applies as Regional manager with Ecobank.....and it goes on like that.

Pros
1. If you know how to write mouth-watering resumes, you will climb up the corporate ladder faster than another individual who chose to remain in a particular company for tons of years. Don’t be surprised you may rise faster above your former bosses in your former places of work.

2. You get to meet new professionals randomly and your social game is top notch. You don’t get stuck with racist/hateful bosses/colleagues for a long time.

3. Your resume is hot. If you know what you’re doing, you should be getting employment invitation calls every month. Recruiters love individuals who have worked across different companies in a particular industry.

4. You gain wealth of experience and your management skills improve. You would have managed different types of individuals and this would have properly tailored your management skills towards excellence.

5. You’re hardly a victim of mass retrenchment, Why? You are the one who fires each company before they fire you (if it ever happens).

Cons
1. You may end up with no retirement benefit/gratuity.

2. You have to re-learn, unlearn, learn new procedures every time you change company. This could be tough for the mentally feeble individuals.

3. Your family may be at disadvantage as you may need to carry them around each time you get a new job; especially one that is located in another geographical location.

Add yours

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by Judolisco(m): 12:22pm On Aug 21, 2023
Drop d company name here make we see.. And if they're not asking u to pay any money it's not a scam...
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by FCTvarrieti: 12:22pm On Aug 21, 2023
Study them and make your research on them. Pray too

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by Mophor: 12:22pm On Aug 21, 2023
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by harmargedon: 12:22pm On Aug 21, 2023
Make your research, online and offline. They always leave traces of their dubious activities.
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by orikoku: 12:22pm On Aug 21, 2023
Make we hear the company name.
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by ChronicGp(m): 12:25pm On Aug 21, 2023
When they scam you....
It's like a virgin preaching abstinence.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by BCISLTD: 12:25pm On Aug 21, 2023
wink change jobs as frequently as possible...trust me!!!

I got some cheap flagship samsung phones
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by Akwamkpuruamu: 12:25pm On Aug 21, 2023
CAC,
Company Reviews
Physical address confirmation
Dropping company name on public forums etc

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by Brownshoe: 12:28pm On Aug 21, 2023
[quote author=Asaq1422 post=125257288][/quote]how much iss that US number
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by meum: 12:28pm On Aug 21, 2023
Hmm
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by Coder2Client(m): 12:29pm On Aug 21, 2023
Research them on Google add nairaland on your search
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by AntiChristian: 12:36pm On Aug 21, 2023
Search Google!

Search LinkedIn!

Search Nairaland!

Search Jobberman!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by LZAA: 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
Did you receive an offer?
If yes where you briefed on your job description and where you asked to pay a fee?
These are the questions you should ask and then you would get your answer
Also be on your guard
Scammers don't stand still
They upgrade all the time

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by livebyday(m): 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2023
cokeryusuf09:
Good morning everyone, can someone tell me how to know if a remote data entry job is a scam, especially if you cannot find a company in a Google search?

1. They don't provide work tools. Even if it's a remote job insist on the company sending you a laptop if they are adamant or insist that you use your own device refuse as insist either you don't have or that you do not use personal devices for handling company work

2. The organisation culture and way of doing things., If they don't have a credible internet footprint be very cautious . You should be able to find their website and the website should be professionally made not something that looks like an OND holder made it . Check that they have credible linkedin, Facebook and X presence

3. Back in the day a check on Nairaland used to be good but these days these scam companies don't even have a record here either so if Google can't find them pls be alert

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by livebyday(m): 12:44pm On Aug 21, 2023
4. Check the profile of the so-called managers on LinkedIn... If their profiles show from uniben to CEO or from HND to company director better run . They must have a clear growth trajectory in their career profile on LinkedIn. Infact if they don't have linkedin profile this is a huge red flag.

No serious minded professional doesn't have a LinkedIn profile

5.if their Facebook page has 100k followers yet their posts have 3 or 4 likes only , my dear those followers are fake.

6. Avoid most jobs from the website isn't what it was back then ,99% of their job are scammers

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by ednut1(m): 12:46pm On Aug 21, 2023
Once they ask you for money to process something of buy laptop. Run
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by BabaOfLagos: 12:52pm On Aug 21, 2023
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by MTNnews: 12:56pm On Aug 21, 2023
Pls can anyone confirm this video of Ipob/ UGM killing Yoruba is not a skit before I start spreading it to the right quarters ?

https://twitter.com/dipoaina1/status/1693575178523918605?t=GQTDnaKyP0qQNG3MOKWs6Q&s=19
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by Yankee101: 1:04pm On Aug 21, 2023
cokeryusuf09:

Ask for more details
They must have a website
If not run away. You’ll work for free or have your identity stolen or be shortchanged
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by money121(m): 1:10pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ok
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by GRACEGLORY: 1:14pm On Aug 21, 2023
Fake jobs don't just appear out of nowhere, in actuality. They are created by groups of people, including people and women, who utilize them to spread lies. Some employ it as a gimmick to seduce job searchers into thinking they are something they are not, while others do so only to extract money.

Meanwhile, you should visit the CAC's website. Scroll down the site and click on “Public Search” Insert the RC Number of the company you wish to search (if known) or the full name of the company in the search box and click on “Search” If the company is registered, the result will display the full company name, RC number, and office address.

But most of all, FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCT.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by Vogec01: 1:18pm On Aug 21, 2023
smiley

Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by cidieschat(m): 1:28pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ask us here, post their name...
Re: How Do I Know A Company Is A Scam? by millionboi2: 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2023
MTNnews:
Pls can anyone confirm this video of Ipob/ UGM killing Yoruba is not a skit before I start spreading it to the right quarters ?

https://twitter.com/dipoaina1/status/1693575178523918605?t=GQTDnaKyP0qQNG3MOKWs6Q&s=19
don't you have work, what did Yoruba do to ipob dat thy will be killing them....u no get work

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? / 13 Months Salary - I Need Your Advise / Managing Job Stress: Strategies For Coping And Thriving At Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.