Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Is The Igbo Language Dying? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is The Igbo Language Dying? (10700 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Igbo Language And Nigerian Pidgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Igbo Language Dying? by cantell(m): 1:18pm On Oct 13, 2011
Is the igbo language dying?
It's awful and a big shame to see most grown ups and kids in non-igbo states speak other languages and yet they cannot say a single word in their language.
I once asked a guy i knew why he cannot speak his language(igbo) and he said; if i can speak igbo, will it take me to london?
I was so ashamed.
Meanwhile, this guy got an "A" in yoruba language in WAEC!
My cousins born in lagos do not speak igbo. They're not even comfortable when others(igbos) speak.
I love yorubas and hausas in terms of language and culture preservation.
When a language dies, future generations lose a vital part of the culture that is necessary to fully understand it.
Yorubas or Hausas born outside their states, even in foreign countries speak their language fluently.
When an igbo man stays in abroad for 5yrs and comes home, he forgets his language and torments the people around him with English.
It's a big shame and -1 for them.
Something should seriously be done to prevent Igbo language from dying off.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by MegaMan87: 1:26pm On Oct 13, 2011
YES IT IS.

And it's solely down to the lazinesss of the IGBO people. I know Igbo people that understand Yoruba better than IGBO lol. What type of nonsense is that? Igbo people are to busy trying to give their children fancy English names because they think it's "trendy" cheesy. That's why it's hard for me to look upon Igbo people favorably. It speaks alot of your character when you can't even be bothered to learn your own language that your ancestors spoke proudly. Most of the "African Americans" on NL are IGBo and ask any of them if the can speak IGBO or if there parents taught it to them ha ha.  Of course they don't. In Igboland it's fashionable to behave like akata. grin grin

Every other Yoruba I know out here in London either speak the language or ATLEAST understand it. My parents instilled that Yoruba pride in me and the rest of brothers & sisters. Most Igbo parents don't even bother. It's a shame on their people. If the language dies it's up to them to resurrect it. Aslong as there's a Yoruba man/woman breathing whether in Nigeria or around the world breathing our language will be spoken and respected. Look at places like Brazil & Cuba where they still speak Yoruba.

The IGBO have no excuse. They should show a bit of pride, that's if they have any of course!!!
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Ybutterfly: 1:30pm On Oct 13, 2011
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by cantell(m): 1:45pm On Oct 13, 2011
MegaMan87:

YES IT IS.

And it's solely down to the lazinesss of the IGBO people. I know Igbo people that understand Yoruba better than IGBO lol. What type of nonsense is that? Igbo people are to busy trying to give their children fancy English names because they think it's "trendy" cheesy. That's why it's hard for me to look upon Igbo people favorably. It speaks alot of your character when you can't even be bothered to learn your own language that your ancestors spoke proudly. Most of the "African Americans" on NL are IGBo and ask any of them if the can speak IGBO or if there parents taught it to them ha ha.  Of course they don't. In Igboland it's fashionable to behave like akata. grin grin

Every other Yoruba I know out here in London either speak the language or ATLEAST understand it. My parents instilled that Yoruba pride in me and the rest of brothers & sisters. Most Igbo parents don't even bother. It's a shame on their people. If the language dies it's up to them to resurrect it. Aslong as there's a Yoruba man/woman breathing whether in Nigeria or around the world breathing our language will be spoken and respected. Look at places like Brazil & Cuba where they still speak Yoruba.

The IGBO have no excuse. They should show a bit of pride, that's if they have any of course!!!
It's so sad. Even the ones that can speak the language prefer to speak Engli-Igbo(joining English & igbo together)
This makes it difficult for others to learn properly.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by MegaMan87: 1:48pm On Oct 13, 2011
I don't blame the EBO though. Have you seen there movies? They try their hardest to put on a ridiculous American accent (which sounds horrible). They try and speak in American ebonics "hell, yeah homie" or "kiss my ass man", "I'm a bad b*tch nicca". Where do people talk like that except Igbo Land loooooool?!
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by MegaMan87: 1:54pm On Oct 13, 2011
cantell:

It's so sad. Even the ones that can speak the language prefer to speak Engli-Igbo(joining English & igbo together)
This makes it difficult for others to learn properly.

LOL grin. I really laughed when I read that. I know Igbo people just like that. They struggle to speak in igbo for a minute so they have to piece together there language with English to save them embarrassment grin grin. When we hear Igbo talk like that we just laugh to ourselves.

I know that Igbo will come on here and play the victim. they will say that Yoruba are just bullying them again but that's how they always say. I'm telling you. if a Igbo woman can't speak her own language I won't even consider being with her. I need a prideful woman in life. Not akata.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by cantell(m): 2:36pm On Oct 13, 2011
MegaMan87:

LOL grin. I really laughed when I read that. I know Igbo people just like that. They struggle to speak in igbo for a minute so they have to piece together there language with English to save them embarrassment grin grin. When we hear Igbo talk like that we just laugh to ourselves.

I know that Igbo will come on here and play the victim. they will say that Yoruba are just bullying them again but that's how they always say. I'm telling you. if a Igbo woman can't speak her own language I won't even consider being with her. I need a prideful woman in life. Not akata.
Nobody's playing the victim here. This is our problem not yorubas or any other tribe.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by rhymz(m): 3:24pm On Oct 13, 2011
MegaMan87:

YES IT IS.

Guy shut your Dog Breath and yap your nonsense on things you know about.
The peoblem I always have with a lot of you Yorubas is the way you just sit in the SW and assume the whole of Nigeria and the world revolve around the SW. How many Yorubas do we actually have outside of the SW region in comparison to the itinearnt Igbo people. How many real Igbo families that do not reside in the SW region do you know that have childrien that can speak Igbo?
You think Yoruba people are the only ones that are proud of their language? Seriously, a lot of you need to travel outside your SW zone to other part of Nigeria, so you can make informed argument from the stand point of what you have experienced outside of the SW and not what cases whose results are very glaring to see. If the case was that Igbo people both in Alaigbo and outside do not bother to instill their culture, language and way of life on their childrien and wards, your uninformed argument would have been in context but to drag it to reckless generalization is to trivialize issues and indulge in the stoopid, mindless jingoism that has become NL's lifeblood and Seun's own strategy of generating internet traffic to his site.
Besides, I find your colourless humour of Igbos being bullied by Yoruba laughable, unless you made that statement to make your feel good about yourself, I would rather you give us instances of such bullying. You know better than to just make stooopid statements just to boost your badly bruised ego. Igbos are intimidated yet they have fearlessly entered every nook and cranny of Nigeria to do business, live with the locals, even learn their language and culture and you want to talk about being Bullied?? Until I go see any Yoruba man for the remotest part of alaigbo doing his thing and living averagely well like most Igbos in Lagos then your claims of bullying are at best placebo therapy to help you with a false sense of abilities you do not have but only wish for.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by rhymz(m): 3:45pm On Oct 13, 2011
cantell:

It's awful and a big shame to see most grown ups and kids in non-igbo states speak other languages and yet they cannot say a single word in their language.
I once asked a guy i knew why he cannot speak his language(igbo) and he said; if i can speak igbo, will it take me to london?
I was so ashamed.
My cousins born in lagos do not speak igbo. They're not even comfortable when others(igbos) speak.
When a language dies, future generations lose a vital part of the culture that is necessary to fully understand it.
Yorubas or Hausas born outside their states, even in foreign countries speak their language fluently.
When an igbo man stays in abroad for 5yrs and comes home, he forgets his language and torments the people around him with English.
The only place where the Igbo Language is dying is in your feverish mind. Your exaggerations are at best childish and alarmist. I was born and raised in Lagos, I can speak all three languages-Igobo, Yoruba and English equally well and so are many others of my kind. While I don't dispute that there are a lot of Igbo kids in Lagos that do not speak Igbo very well, however, uneccessary exaggerations like your claims of many Igbo kids that can't speak or understand come in Igbo only shows your are not representing facts but mere sentiments.
The only time one can honestly begin to scream about the gradual death of Igbo Language is if there are cases of childrien born and raised in Alaigbo who are oblivious of their culture and language. All this uneccessary alarm about kids who grew up in places like mushin, oshodi and the likes surrounded by core yoruba lower class people who speak nothing but Yoruba even at their school is no indicator of any death in Igbo language. Go to the Southsouth and Southeast before jumping to uninformed conclusions.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Ybutterfly: 3:50pm On Oct 13, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^  grin grin grin grin grin

[img]http://1.bp..com/-QNJ1ZQvc9FY/TYCLi_TffgI/AAAAAAAABB8/_K8OJ0OJ0-A/s400/CrazyPeople.jpg[/img]

^^^^^^^^he insults Yoruba any how but he doesn't want to experience a taste of his own medicine. Cantell & MegaMan87 please continue this man talks like a angry i-diot all the time
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by cantell(m): 4:25pm On Oct 13, 2011
rhymz:

The only place where the Igbo Language is dying is in your feverish mind. Your exaggerations are at best childish and alarmist. I was born and raised in Lagos, I can speak all three languages-Igobo, Yoruba and English equally well and so are many others of my kind. While I don't dispute that there are a lot of Igbo kids in Lagos that do not speak Igbo very well, however, uneccessary exaggerations like your claims of many Igbo kids that can't speak or understand come in Igbo only shows your are not representing facts but mere sentiments.
The only time one can honestly begin to scream about the gradual death of Igbo Language is if there are cases of childrien born and raised in Alaigbo who are oblivious of their culture and language. All this uneccessary alarm about kids who grew up in places like mushin, oshodi and the likes surrounded by core yoruba lower class people who speak nothing but Yoruba even at their school is no indicator of any death in Igbo language. Go to the Southsouth and Southeast before jumping to uninformed conclusions.
Truth is bitter, but it must be told. No matter how hard you try to hide it, it'll still rear its ugly head out.
The earlier you accept it, the better for you.
If i wanted to get into the usual brawl, i would have headed straight to tribalism section.
So long for now.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by MegaMan87: 4:31pm On Oct 13, 2011
rhymz:

T[b]he only place where the Igbo Language is dying is in your feverish mind. Your exaggerations are at best childish and alarmist[/b]. I was born and raised in Lagos, I can speak all three languages-Igobo, Yoruba and English equally well and so are many others of my kind. While I don't dispute that there are a lot of Igbo kids in Lagos that do not speak Igbo very well, however, uneccessary exaggerations like your claims of many Igbo kids that can't speak or understand come in Igbo only shows your are not representing facts but mere sentiments.

Ahhhh, typical Igbo. Instead of facing up to your problems you lash out and attack the messenger.  If you can't open your eyes and see that the Igbo language in Nigeria and ESPECIALLY the diaspora is disappearing then you are a complete fool. Most so called Igbo outside of Nigeria can't speak a word of their native language. Ask some of your "African American" Igbo chums to speak for you. Most of them think they're Jamaicans anyway, trying to change their name to sound "trendy". Can you imagine ha grin. Guess who's to blame for it? The lazy parents who are out scamming people probably. Where's the pride? Igbo in Nigeria should be ashamed of themselves. I can't count the amount of igbo that come around us talking in yoruba and listening to what we are saying but when we ask them to speak their native language they don't even have a clue what to say. , .AND THIS IS IN NIGERIA. Yet again I ask, Where's the pride?

I know being the Igbo person you are, you will bury your head in the sand about the issue and talk a torrent of other nonsense. Good for you. You and your people are lazy and always have been. Teach your children your actual language. Advise your igbo akata friends in America to learn the language of "their people" instead of aspiring to be gang bangers and gangster rappers. Save your people the shame lol cool grin
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by MegaMan87: 4:49pm On Oct 13, 2011
rhymz:

Guy shut your Dog Breath and yap your nonsense on things you know about.
The peoblem I always have with a lot of you Yorubas is the way you just sit in the SW and assume the whole of Nigeria and the world revolve around the SW. How many Yorubas do we actually have outside of the SW region in comparison to the itinearnt Igbo people. How many real Igbo families that do not reside in the SW region do you know that have childrien that can speak Igbo?
You think Yoruba people are the only ones that are proud of their language? Seriously, a lot of you need to travel outside your SW zone to other part of Nigeria, so you can make informed argument from the stand point of what you have experienced outside of the SW and not what cases whose results are very glaring to see. If the case was that Igbo people both in Alaigbo and outside do not bother to instill their culture, language and way of life on their childrien and wards, your uninformed argument would have been in context but to drag it to reckless generalization is to trivialize issues and indulge in the stoopid, mindless jingoism that has become NL's lifeblood and Seun's own strategy of generating internet traffic to his site.       
Besides, I find your colourless humour of Igbos being bullied by Yoruba laughable, unless you made that statement to make your feel good about yourself, I would rather you give us instances of such bullying. You know better than to just make stooopid statements just to boost your badly bruised ego. Igbos are intimidated yet they have fearlessly entered every nook and cranny of Nigeria to do business, live with the locals, even learn their language and culture and you want to talk about being Bullied?? Until I go see any Yoruba man for the remotest part of alaigbo doing his thing and living averagely well like most Igbos in Lagos then your claims of bullying are at best placebo therapy to help you with a false sense of abilities you do not have but only wish for.

Common shut your silly mouth you've never washed. I was simply stating a home truth but of course you couldn't take it could you? Igbo are too lazy to learn their own language. This isn't the case of "big bad yoruba pickin on poor old igbo again". It's actually what is happening. You got it spot on when you said Igbo people go and learn other peoples languages. Why then should they not learn their own? Why do most Igbo musicians sing in yoruba? Why don't Igbo filmakers make films using the igbo language? I'll tell you why, because most of the EBO actors/actresses don't even know the igbo language ha ha grin. They would rather speak English and put on a silly american accent or go and speak yoruba in yoruba films. We Yoruba could make films speaking English but why should we? There's no pride in that at all.  Sorry, but it's the truth. Why do Yoruba need to travel outside of Yorubaland? We TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD. We are everywhere and most of our parents teach us to be proud of yoruba and to either speak it or understand it atleast. Further more, why do Igbo people move into yoruba land? It's because they can't be bothered to do stay in SE where kidnappers and 419 boys run amok? Why is it they'd rather come to Lagos and live with us, speak OUR language? You Igbo can slam on about Lagos being "cosmipolitan" all you want but everyone knows that Lagos is the home of the yoruba. It's situated in SW not SE. No matter how many of you flood into the city like rodents.

Abeg, take your crybaby act elsewhere. I have no time for riff raff. lipsrsealed
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by cantell(m): 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2011
^^hey! Don't turn this to a hate thread. If i had wanted one, i know exactly where to go to.
So pls, slow your roll.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by asha80(m): 6:35pm On Oct 13, 2011
cantell:

I was so ashamed.

you should have asked him whether the yoruba he spoke has taken him to london.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by asha80(m): 6:36pm On Oct 13, 2011
secondly igbos can be overtly pragmatic.

this is one of the downsides of that kind of pragmatism
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by cantell(m): 11:04pm On Oct 13, 2011
asha 80:

you should have asked him whether the yoruba he spoke has taken him to london.
Couldn't ask. I was so ashamed.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by rhymz(m): 3:26am On Oct 14, 2011
MegaMan87:

Common shut your silly mouth you've never washed. I was simply stating a home truth but of course you couldn't take it could you? Igbo are too lazy to learn their own language. This isn't the case of "big bad yoruba pickin on poor old igbo again". It's actually what is happening. You got it spot on when you said Igbo people go and learn other peoples languages. Why then should they not learn their own? Why do most Igbo musicians sing in yoruba? Why don't Igbo filmakers make films using the igbo language? I'll tell you why, because most of the EBO actors/actresses don't even know the igbo language ha ha grin. They would rather speak English and put on a silly american accent or go and speak yoruba in yoruba films. We Yoruba could make films speaking English but why should we? There's no pride in that at all.  Sorry, but it's the truth. Why do Yoruba need to travel outside of Yorubaland? We TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD. We are everywhere and most of our parents teach us to be proud of yoruba and to either speak it or understand it atleast. Further more, why do Igbo people move into yoruba land? It's because they can't be bothered to do stay in SE where kidnappers and 419 boys run amok? Why is it they'd rather come to Lagos and live with us, speak OUR language? You Igbo can slam on about Lagos being "cosmipolitan" all you want but everyone knows that Lagos is the home of the yoruba. It's situated in SW not SE. No matter how many of you flood into the city like rodents.

Abeg, take your crybaby act elsewhere. I have no time for riff raff. lipsrsealed
Your ignorance is only exceeded by your own ignorance. Obviously, you are more interested in petty tribal mudslinging than argue intelligently. I won't indulge your stoopidity cos I am way above your league.
But let me counter some of your obviously ignorant statements and claims.
1. Your claims that Yoruba ppl speak their language than anyone else does theirs is based on a bias premise; unlike the itinerant Igbos who are likely to be exposed to the culture, language, tradition societal idiosyncrasies of their new place of abode, the yorubas are not predisposed to leaving the SW region. When they eventually travel, it is most likely still to other states in the SW region with virtually thesame way of life as their previous residence.
2. Your nollywoods reference is silly and lacks any substance, like I have always told you, Yoruba folks erroneously think that Nigeria ends in the SW, incase you don't know, Yorubas are not the only ones that make movies in their native tongue so stop beating your chest like that is some unattainable achievment, monkey. There are movies done in IGBO, Calabar, Hausa and so many other Nigerian languages. The other day I was in Calabar, most of the Nigerian movies I watched were done in calabar language and translated in good english. So all that bragging about Yoruba film being the $hit is as usual from an uninformed standpoint. That marketers, film makers and producers(who unfortunately for you are mostly Igbos) choose to do their movies in English language is obviously for a wider audience and reach, the considerations are purely business. Little wonder they do way better than your Yoruba movies which are only popular on the fringes- just in the SW and nowhere else.
So climb off your high horse and trek back to reality, yoruba movies are not the $hit, if they were, they wont need any image prodding by thesame Yorubas to make them popular. And it is stoopid for anyone to even try to contemplate any movie industry outside of Nollywood based on some unpopular language that is spoken by just a few million people, trust me, only Yoruba business men will do that. .lol
By the way, come off it with your uneccessary hyperbole, which Igbo musicians sing in Yoruba of all languages, kid are you dense??, lol
Can you specifically call the names of these Igbo musicians that serenade us in your "darlin" yoruba language??lol, What a DUNCE!! You just have to resort to stoopid petty lies to force your points, typical of a tribal jingoist. Call names abeg or just shut the hole in your ugly face, the stench from it is worse than garbage. At least, I know of a song, eyim oma by KWAM1 that was sung entirely in Igbo Language( even though his attempt was in poor taste), he prolly did that song as a tribute to his igbo friends.
As for the nonesense talk about igbos moving to Lagos, you are an ignorant MOFO that obviously do not know what he is talking about. Left to Yorubas alone, Lagos would have been no different from the other SW states that are ridden with poverty, riots, tribal clashes, armed robbers, lazy never do well bastard area boys, Adedibus and street urchins. Lagos is what it is today not because of the Yorubas so go take a stroll to hell, you have got no point. Perhaps we should place the othe 5 yoruba states side by side with igbo states and compare notes, lol.
Whether you like it or not, Yoruba ppl do nothing better than anyone else, they are just as human as the Igbos and will do thesame if faced with such exposure. By the way, how many Yoruba kids born and bred in London speak fluent Yoruba, Mr ITK?? Dont you see the folly of your endless rantings
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Nobody: 3:30am On Oct 14, 2011
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^^^^^  grin grin grin grin grin

[img]http://1.bp..com/-QNJ1ZQvc9FY/TYCLi_TffgI/AAAAAAAABB8/_K8OJ0OJ0-A/s400/CrazyPeople.jpg[/img]

^^^^^^^^he insults Yoruba any how but he doesn't want to experience a taste of his own medicine. Cantell & MegaMan87 please continue this man talks like a angry i-diot all the time

ROTFLMAO!! @ the picture.  cheesy grin cheesy

HAHAHHAHA!!!!

All tribalist ppl sha. Yoruba this and that lol grin grin grin grin Yoruba ppl and their swagga lol!!

anywaz, tribalism is not cool yo. Let's love the Yorubas.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Ybutterfly: 4:16am On Oct 14, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^ I know oo, we Yoruba's are the best grin
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by mbatuku1: 9:05am On Oct 14, 2011
Why are all the silly yaribu people on this thread?

How does it concern an 'ofenmanu' whether Igbo is dying or not?

@post
The answer to your question is that you have to consider that this only happens among Igbos living outside Igboland. It's hard for kids to speak a language fluently if they were not raised where the language is indigenous.

It's a problem but I  think it's way too exaggerated. Igbo is more than alive in Igboland, and the kids there will school you! (just as yoruba is alive in yorubaland and hausa in hausaland).

It's not peculiar to Igbos alone. I've seen some yoruba and hausa kids who struggle with their native tongue. Why? They were raised in territories where their native languages are not the daily medium of communication.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by manchy7531: 9:27am On Oct 14, 2011
Another tribal trend.

have you gone to the east to know if the language is dying,

how many yoruba and Hausa people in the east speak their native language, or how many Ghanaian speak their native language when the come here to Nigeria( they mostly speak pidgin or they language of their host communities)

most people speak the language of their host communities to be able to blend and communicate well,

By the way i give credit to the igbos that learn other peoples language, it show they are versatile and love adventure and the are the true Nigerians and that is why they keep dominating Nigerian because they learn other peoples culture,why other just remain in Kano and Lagos thinking the world is centered around there.

This has explain why people remain myopic cos they never see beyond their nose, umu anuofia
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 14, 2011
manchy7531:

Another tribal trend.

have you gone to the east to know if the language is dying,

how many yoruba and Hausa people in the east speak their native language, or how many Ghanaian speak their native language when the come here to Nigeria( they mostly speak pidgin or they language of their host communities)

most people speak the language of their host communities to be able to blend and communicate well,

By the way i give credit to the igbos that learn other peoples language, it show they are versatile and love adventure and the are the true Nigerians and that is why they keep dominating Nigerian because they learn other peoples culture,why other just remain in Kano and Lagos thinking the world is centered around there.

This has explain why people remain myopic cos they never see beyond their nose, umu anuofia
Seconded
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by ogwulumba: 9:31am On Oct 14, 2011
Can that ever happen? Big question?? Though subtle it might look. The igbo tribe can never run into extinction. When u think its fading, it comes bak strong and vibrant.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Afam4eva(m): 9:40am On Oct 14, 2011
Is the Igbo language dieing? Not in a hundred years. I used to be one of those that believed that the Language was dieing but not any more. I guess it was because i lived in Lagos where the Ajebutter Igbos could only understand but not speak Igbo. That's what people fail to understand. Lagos is not land, so that explains why some Igbos there cannot speak the language. Before you make such ignorant comment about the death of Igbo language, go to Port-hacourt, Aba, Enugu, Asaba, Onitsha, Abakaliki, Owerri and tell me how many Igbos you'll come across that can't speak the language and even write in it. You can't just sit in Lagos and make such unfounded statement.

The only thing i advocate is that Igbo leaders and business men should try as much as possible to improve the infrastructure in Igboland in order to keep Igbos at home.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Ttoks: 9:46am On Oct 14, 2011
I don't think the Igbo language will die off like that, Because in South East as a whole the predominant language is still igbo language. But i thank the guy that raised the issue, Thanks for reminding my people to wake up.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Afam4eva(m): 9:49am On Oct 14, 2011
Ttoks:

I don't think the Igbo language will die off like that, Because in South East as a whole the predominant language is still igbo language. But i thank the guy that raised the issue, Thanks for reminding my people to wake up.

Welcome to Nairaland. What's your former nairaland username?
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by mbatuku1: 9:58am On Oct 14, 2011
afam4eva:

Is the Igbo language dieing? Not in a hundred years. I used to be one of those that believed that the Language was dieing but not any more. I guess it was because i lived in Lagos where the Ajebutter Igbos could only understand but not speak Igbo. That's what people fail to understand. Lagos is not our land, so that explains why some Igbos there cannot speak the language. Before you make such ignorant comment about the death of Igbo language, go to Port-hacourt, Aba, Enugu, Asaba, Onitsha, Abakaliki, Owerri and tell me how many Igbos you'll come across that can't speak the language and even write in it. You can't just sit in Lagos and make such unfounded statement.

The only thing i advocate is that Igbo leaders and business men should try as much as possible to improve the infrastructure in Igboland in order to keep Igbos at home.

Even at that only a few are outright efulefu. A good number can speak Igbo though not impeccable enough.

Children learn a language first from their parents and then perfect it by interacting with it in the environment. That perfection achieved by practicing the language with the larger society is what is missing in some of the 'Lagos bred' kids.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Blazing88(f): 10:08am On Oct 14, 2011
ANOTHER IGBO THREAD?!!!
Wats nl turning to for christ sake,
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 14, 2011
Unfortunately the Igbo language is dying. I recently discovered that I am more comfortable speaking the English Language. I was born and brought up in Igboland of Igbo parentage. I am into cross cultural marriage and we don't speak Igbo at home, which is sad. I would have preferred it another way but that's the situation for now. Ndigbo now bear Okwy, Oby, Ify, Emuchay, etc. When two or more Igbo get together in London or Lagos or Abuja, they converse in English or Yoruba. The lingua franca in armed services in Nigeria is Hausa. Ndigbo who are the most travelled ethnic group in Nigeria seem to forget to take their language with them when they travel. I am equally guilty.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Afam4eva(m): 10:16am On Oct 14, 2011
kITA TITA:

Unfortunately the Igbo language is dying. I recently discovered that I am more comfortable speaking the English Language. I was born and brought up in Igboland of Igbo parentage. I am into cross cultural marriage and we don't speak Igbo at home, which is sad. I would have preferred it another way but that's the situation for now. Ndigbo now bear Okwy, Oby, Ify, Emuchay, etc. When two or more Igbo get together in London or Lagos or Abuja, they converse in English or Yoruba. The lingua franca in armed services in Nigeria is Hausa. Ndigbo who are the most travelled ethnic group in Nigeria seem to forget to take their language with them when they travel. I am equally guilty.

This is the molst ignorant statement i've heard in a long time. Pls just change where you wrote ""Igbo" to "My family" and then logout.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by freecocoa(f): 10:17am On Oct 14, 2011
OP our sweet language is not anywhere near dying at all o,see the problem, its those ones that are not in the east that makes it look as if its not spoken,even most of them that form not knowing how to speak know,they just want to be called butty,even if they don't speak they understand,if you ask me 95 out of 100 igbo people understand at least central igbo,have you been to the east?especially enugu igbo is the language mostly used there,even in portharcourt igbo is widely spoken,some hausa and yoruba people in the east speak igbo.
Take it from me most of those people who claim not to understand igbo are just forming, especially those in lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde / Fulani/fulbe Traditional Beliefs And Mythology / Great Nupe Proverbs And Their Meanings!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.