Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,540 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Is The Igbo Language Dying? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is The Igbo Language Dying? (10708 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Igbo Language And Nigerian Pidgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by mbatuku1: 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2011
alj_harem:

2 face is not igbo and does not even have an igbo name or have any connection with igbo. He is a northerner of idoma ethic group

stop lying and pls stop claiming

Read very well. Observe the question marks in his posts. He was asking a sarcastic question in response to what MegaMan posted.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by POTUT(m): 11:23pm On Oct 14, 2011
Hmmm,

Igbo language is not near dying. I think this is either alarmist or a narrow view of the situation. The reality is that many Ibos who naturally engaged in aggressive trading (perhaps to make up for their stripped wealth after the civil war) adjust to their environments for patronage and as a sign of good citizenship.

Would it make sense for an Ibo trader to sell in Ibo in another man's land?

Besides, all those pseudo-ajebutter Ibos who speak english most of the time are just living on a slice of illusion. They can speak ibo (when they really have to) and they can surely understand it too (at least one of the hundreds of dialects).
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by aljharem3: 1:14am On Oct 15, 2011
cantell:

You're patronizing us right? I hate to burst your bubble, but we know who you are.
A freakng bat! A mammal and a sorry a$$ bird put together.
Do yourself a favour, get the hell out of this thread!

Patronizing what ? To gain what if I patronize Igbo language ?

I am part Igbo myself so what do you mean by patronizing ?

IGBO LANGUAGE IS NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE TO DYING.

do not be deceiving yourself to think it is dying, it is not close to dying
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by ezer(m): 2:13am On Oct 15, 2011
Honestly what I don't understand abt this useless Yoruba Yoruba people is why they are crying more than the bereaved, last time I checked this was about the igbos speaking their language abi?, so y are the senseless youribas also commenting as well, or are they interested in learning the igbo language as well?
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by Relax101(m): 3:02am On Oct 15, 2011
MegaMan87:

Thank God there is a honest Igbo person on here. Why won't any of your Igbo friends just admit the fact that their language & culture is dying? Why will they continue to blame the Yoruba for all their problems? It's not my fault that we yoruba are proud of our traditions. It's not my fault that my parents taught me Yoruba (like most Yoruba parents do) and there's didn't teach them Igbo. It's not my fault that Igbo muscians like TU FACE and many others have been known to sing in Yoruba and not Igbo lol. I[b]t's not my fault that Igbo filmmakers aren't proud enough to make fims in the Igbo language. [/b]Why do the Igbo want to blame everything on other other people?

Abeg, Igbo need to look at the lazy parenting and and attitude many of them have. This has nothing to do with "Tribalism". You don't see me saying anything about Hausa people. Igbo need to stop using tribalism as an excuse anytime a Yoruba person asks them a simple question. The fact that so many Igbo don't know their own language well but alot of them can speak YORUBA brings complete shame on them. lipsrsealed

That is what we say all the time. People like you refer to everything after Ore, igbo. You eddioottaa. So in your books and the one you claim your ignorant parents taught you, Tuface Idibia is now Omo Igbo because his home town is after crossing river Niger. You be real Oloribukuru oshi. lol

Beacuse his last name Idibia is Igbo doesnt mean He's Igbo. Gerrit, Omoita.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by ezer(m): 4:17am On Oct 15, 2011
Mr Okoro, because they have european Ancestors, moro.n. Igbo ppl don't have that yet they still change their names to European ones.

What cankerworm rubbish are u talking about, the only people I heard had foreign origin are the igbos n hausas who migrated from isreal(igbos) n hausas(arab).n yet u hardly hear the igbos bearing the jews names.
The youribas were only opportuned to travel to the western world for educatn n came back bearing western names.
Now tell me MR ofenmanu whose language is dying faster??
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by ezer(m): 4:24am On Oct 15, 2011
Now av been previledged to travel far n wide for both education and visits.what I discovered is that in evry country you find the igbos and they like to brag about their language by speaking musically, if you go to countries where you have so many igbos settling,you hadly hear them speak english unless they are not sure of your tribe.even in our naija markets,last week I accompanied my bini girlfrnd to the market n lo n behold the igbo traders started rapping igbo to her jst because she's light skinned, so igbo language aint dying. N infact no language in nigeria is anyways.

1 Like

Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by aljharem3: 5:03am On Oct 15, 2011
ezer:

Mr Okoro, because they have european Ancestors, moro.n. Igbo ppl don't have that yet they still change their names to European ones.

What cankerworm rubbish are u talking about, the only people I heard had foreign origin are the igbos n hausas who[b] migrated from isreal(igbos)[/b] n hausas(arab).n yet u hardly hear the igbos bearing the jews names.
The youribas were only opportuned to travel to the western world for educatn n came back bearing western names.
Now tell me MR ofenmanu whose language is dying faster??

How did igbo migrate from Israel ?

How did Hausa migrate from Arab ?
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by ezer(m): 12:02pm On Oct 15, 2011

Very good question, now go figure,
And I would also go figure how the yorubas have european ancestors.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by aljharem3: 1:00pm On Oct 15, 2011
ezer:

Very good question, now go figure,
And I would also go figure how the yorubas have european ancestors.

Yoruba european ancestors ??

Where are you getting this from grin grin grin
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by cantell(m): 1:15pm On Oct 15, 2011
alj_harem:

Patronizing what ? To gain what if I patronize Igbo language ?

I am part Igbo myself so what do you mean by patronizing ?

IGBO LANGUAGE IS NOT ANYWHERE CLOSE TO DYING.

do not be deceiving yourself to think it is dying, it is not close to dying

There he goes again! That same silly statement, "i'm part Igbo myself" who asked you?
You should write it on a signboard, hang it on your neck and walk around with it.
That way, the whole world would know you're a Nigerian half-caste.
*spits*
Such a distasteful fellow!
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by ezer(m): 1:46pm On Oct 15, 2011

Where are you getting this from
Hey boko harem or whatever u call urself, are you normally dumb or ur jst acting it, cos I don't get u, and oh pls quit psyching urself that ur igbo.cos trait is obvious.
N ur supposed to googling the assignment I gave u instead of asking me stupi questions here n there, ur just plain dumb, albino!
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by cantell(m): 4:10pm On Oct 15, 2011
ezer:

Where are you getting this from
Hey boko harem or whatever u call urself, are you normally dumb or your jst acting it, cos I don't get u, and oh pls quit psyching urself that your igbo.cos trait is obvious.
N your supposed to googling the assignment I gave u instead of asking me stupi questions here n there, your just plain dumb, albino!
Lol. Una no go kill person for hia.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by OneNaira6: 5:19pm On Oct 15, 2011
cantell:

There he goes again! That same silly statement, "i'm part Igbo myself" who asked you?
You should write it on a signboard, hang it on your neck and walk around with it.
That way, the whole world would know you're a Nigerian half-caste.
*spits*
Such a distasteful fellow!

I don't think he's half Igbo as he claims
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by OneNaira6: 5:20pm On Oct 15, 2011
@ OP

The answer is NO.  Go to any SE state, the language spoken is Igbo.
Re: Is The Igbo Language Dying? by mimi321(f): 11:37am On Jun 01, 2012
cantell:
It's so sad. Even the ones that can speak the language prefer to speak Engli-Igbo(joining English & igbo together)
This makes it difficult for others to learn properly.
guy abeg talk wetin you know. most of my friends are yoruba and none of them can even say come in yoruba so dont blame us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde / Kanuri Men / Fulani/fulbe Traditional Beliefs And Mythology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.