Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview (12859 Views)

Teaching Interview / NIFIME Micro Finance Institute Is Recruiting / Finca Micro Finance Bank Aptitude Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by VeektawUtty: 11:58am On Aug 21, 2023
Go take action bitter mixed with pepsi
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Lance008(m): 12:04pm On Aug 21, 2023
How everything goes
Na today
Hope it went well
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by kkfada(m): 12:07pm On Aug 21, 2023
A little secret get a chewing gum few Hours to the interview and chew to relax your nerve. Be prepared also and be confident.. please don't chew gum during the interview but you can have it in your mouth . It's help relaxing the brain that triggers fear or panick.
What gum is best for anxiety?
Item One: Sugarfree gum

“If you're having a moment of anxiety and you have no idea what triggered it, your first step should be to grab a piece of gum,” says Tagert. We suggest one that's sugar-free and has a long-lasting flavor — for both extended enjoyment and the added perk of fresh breath — like EXTRA® Gum.19 Jul 2022
https://katiecouric.com › health › pa...
Feeling Anxious? These Items Can Provide Stress Relief, Quickly | KCM
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Nwaotu10(m): 12:08pm On Aug 21, 2023
It's normal, bro. Don't allow it to weigh you down.
I remember a particular micro teaching interview I had in the past and I was asked; "what is a paragraph?"
I couldn't even answer.
A whole English graduate of UNN grin

Tension can make you to forget the spelling of "is" sef grin
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by complexstuffs(m): 12:11pm On Aug 21, 2023
illicit:

Some jobs require some level of preparedness

How do you go for a teaching interview when u can't even face the interviewer?

Talk more of teaching a class

Would you employ such applicant? Except in a mushroom school

I have nothing against the OP but get my point

He should have prepare ahead

How are you helping him with this your level of condemnation.

You would be a very big LIAR to claim perfection yourself.

The bold and confident professors today started by learning the alphabet firs with baby steps
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Mummyimbecile(m): 12:13pm On Aug 21, 2023
Akalia:
Lacking early and proper socialization or exposure can impair one's social development. People who find it hard to express their thoughts clearly out of anxiety before an audience of total strangers most likely fall in this category. It is a social problem which the OP needs some sort of therapy to overcome.

I was once like the OP, well, I won't say I am completely liberatd from that social impairment but I have come a long way. OP just walk in there on Monday and exude confidence , do not show too much care about who is there to examine your performance. Don't overthink it, it's just an interview and not an interrogation.
you're just right, bro. If parents fail to socialize there kids early in life, this is normally the result!

When growing up, my parents didn't socialize us that much. Among my siblings, I am the shy one. I can't even look someone in the eyes. During my university days, I told my self that I must "MAN UP"... I started socializing and going to clubs.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by adspelite(m): 12:13pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:
How do I conquer that fear and what are the things they look so I can prepare hard.

Thank you.
I remembered being in similar situation in my 3rd year in the university where I faced a panel of professors,doctors and the HOD, numbering not less than 15.
It was my I.T defense and they were already sending students out of the hall. It was the most difficult situation I've ever experienced. Well guess what I did, I simply behaved as though they were all kids that knew nothing about what I was going to say ....fast faward, it played out well for me as I was able to convince them of my presentation, non of them was able to ask a question apart from the the owner of the department (not hod), and that was all. I killed it.
Bro/Sis, you need to know how to approach an audience.....I would have loved to assist you if you're closer.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by euniselfyahoo: 12:15pm On Aug 21, 2023
You may take the same topic again. All you need to do is to read more about the topic so that you can teach with confidence since you've gotten the experience because matter is one of the simplest topic in chemistry. Good luck
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by ggoldmine: 12:15pm On Aug 21, 2023
It's easier when you understand the topic or concept. I assume everyone is new to the topic and teach as though they don't know it, even if my audience are professionals in that field. It helps.

dboY1123:
My previous post about a big school that called me for an Interview, Well I actually went there, did my test and when I was asked to come in for Micro Teaching where I was faced with Staff of the school and maybe the principal, I flopped and panicked heavily.

Thank you.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Babastrong(m): 12:17pm On Aug 21, 2023
Introvert? are the introverts coward. As a graduate, you must have done SEMINAR, SIWES and defended your PROJECT. how did you face those professors in your department?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by illicit(m): 12:18pm On Aug 21, 2023
complexstuffs:

How are you helping him with this your level of condemnation.

You would be a very big LIAR to claim perfection yourself.

The bold and confident professors today started by learning the alphabet firs with baby steps

Sometimes you need some serious beating to get ur head straight

Not every correction is made by smiling

You don't apply for a professorship when u haven't learnt ABC
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by samuelson06(m): 12:19pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:
My previous post about a big school that called me for an Interview, Well I actually went there, did my test and when I was asked to come in for Micro Teaching where I was faced with Staff of the school and maybe the principal, I flopped and panicked heavily.

The fear was well written all over my face and I was just saying rubbish despite choosing to teach "Matter" as my topic. Immediately I came in and they asked for my name and few other questions before the micro teaching, my voice was already shaking as if I have never taught before in my life(they noticed and told me to calm down).

Although I am an introvert, I hardly face audience talk more of strangers and the quest to ensure that I performed, those things enveloped/swallowed me completely. I have never taught in such a big school before, I think my qualification was what made them approach me in the first place.

One of the staff kept throwing questions at me, I mean confusing questions just to know my depth of knowledge in the particular topic, and guess what? I flopped totally and became disorganized. But luckily, there was a man among the panel who gave me the option of coming back and prove myself that I am a qualified teacher as stated in my CV or I should take another topic I'm more comfortable with. So, I opted to leave and come back so I can regain my confidence.

Now, I have been given enough time to go and make research and convince them on Monday.
How do I conquer that fear and what are the things they look so I can prepare hard.
Thank you.

You were just too serious. Next time, calm down and talk. Sometimes, you can even switch to pigin, then switch back. If possible, say something to make them laugh before you start talking. That will calm your nerves and helps you see them as friendly.

Most importantly, just know all of them on that panel are poorly paid and their mind isn't much in what they are doing sef. They don't have anything to gain in running you down. So, just be yourself and talk. All of you are at the same level—just managing.

You can even choose not see them as staff of the school or adults, but as your students or siblings. It's a simple stuff bro. Just go and teach them as though you are teaching children. Most likely, you'll answer most of their questions. Be bold to tell them you can't answer some of their questions.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by ikbnice(m): 12:20pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

The fear was well written all over my face and I was just saying rubbish despite choosing to teach "Matter" as my topic. Immediately I came in and they asked for my name and few other questions before the micro teaching, my voice was already shaking as if I have never taught before in my life(they noticed and told me to calm down).

Although I am an introvert, I hardly face audience talk more of strangers and the quest to ensure that I performed, those things enveloped/swallowed me completely. I have never taught in such a big school before, I think my qualification was what made them approach me in the first place.

One of the staff kept throwing questions at me, I mean confusing questions just to know my depth of knowledge in the particular topic, and guess what? I flopped totally and became disorganized. But luckily, there was a man among the panel who gave me the option of coming back and prove myself that I am a qualified teacher as stated in my CV or I should take another topic I'm more comfortable with. So, I opted to leave and come back so I can regain my confidence.

Now, I have been given enough time to go and make research and convince them on Monday.
Thank you.
I understand how you feel and it's okay to feel like that tbh. Put it in mind that they've already seen tje quality you possess but they just want you to prove you can handle teaching pressure. Students would make you feel worse if you don't learn to control your anxiety, once they see that Crack, some will exploit it for the amusement of fellow students and it would become very difficult to discharge your duty. Here are what I would suggest you do;
1. Prepare and understand the topic you choose. Don't cram to regurgitate.
2. Get familiar with the teachers before the interview, just casual greetings and handshakes will ease lots of tensions
3. Once you begin your interview, don't rush, smile alot and look straight into their faces wile communicating and explain your topics in the step-by-step manner you've planned it.
4. If you're asked a question you did not understand, don't panic. If it's out of context, simply say you'd note it down and come back to it at the end of the lesson, don't deviate from topic being discussed till you're through with it. Once you're through, you can ask the class the question back and ask them to explain in their own understanding of it, it makes the class lively and interactive.
5. See those fellow subject teachers as student when teaching, don't feel pressured that you're teaching those who already have in-depth knowledge of the topic under discussion. Treat the topic like you're teaching them for the first time
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by abutujj: 12:20pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

I chose Atomic Structure, Chemical reactions and maybe if there's time, Acid base and salt

So na chemistry
Subject: chemistry
Topic: Atomic structure
Atomic is gotten from the word atom which is the smallest particles of an element so atomic structure means the means the structure of the atomic.the atom is spherical in shape and it consists of three particles
The proton it has positive charge
The neutron it has no charge
The electron it has a negative charge
You can other research.but please let you teaching be brief and concise and hit the main point.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by danielo100: 12:23pm On Aug 21, 2023
I think i was once in this shoe.

One thing you must know and never forget is that as a teacher, you shouldn't be afraid of the student rather the student should be afraid of you or are afraid you... Think about those days when you were a student too, you were always the who was afraid of the teachers and not the teacher of you, Mind you, those teacher then had fears but surpressed them because of the mindset that they are the one to be feared, so you won't even see their fears (even when they are afraid at some point)...Always put this at the back of your mind, and you will conquer those fears.......
Being of afraid of teaching in a class (especially a subject you read well in the uni) is like an hunter in the bush being afraid of a chicken or antelope (easy kill).. when it is actually the other way round.

Secondly, know also that you have the knowledge they don't have, thus speak to them boldly because they are listening to what they don't know (atleast not as much as you do). so you gotta be bold when you talk.

You may be an introvert to class teaching, but just try and act so boldly for a week, only a week, and you will see yourself getting better and better, the following weeks.

dboY1123:

Thank you.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by duduade: 12:24pm On Aug 21, 2023
dilini:
I Tried It!

See how much I was able to earn from this short video app in 3days. See proof of my earnings from the image as attached...

Unleash the power of Web3 with this short video app!

Just indicate interest by sending me a dm and I will share the app link with you (that's a promise)

Cheers!

When you have a screenshot of 1,000,000 dollars come back and repost
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by BigIyanga: 12:25pm On Aug 21, 2023
Do mock interview in front of friends and strangers.. ask ur friends to bring their friends to the mock interview. Record the mock interview, ask ur friends to ask u tough questions and then ask for their honest feedback
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Amonijosh1: 12:27pm On Aug 21, 2023
Find something brief and interesting to say before entering into the main topic,
something that can cheer every one and bring you back into composure
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by AreaFada2: 12:27pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

I chose Atomic Structure, Chemical reactions and maybe if there's time, Acid base and salt

Ah, these are bread and butter topics. Try to bring a bit of historical anecdote in. Or a funny story from history about atoms. Once your audience laugh or smile, you will relax.

Begin with a diagram of an atom. Use different colours to mark electron, proton and neutron. Use electron shells of chlorine or sodium.

If you do proceed to acid and base, use HCl and NaOH. There will be a flow. Make it simple. PowerPoint slides are even better.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by zicoraads: 12:32pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

Thank you.
This came late... I have sat on and interviewed several teachers, I would have given you great tips. But if you haven't gone then listen...

1. Pick a simple topic, don't pick one that's too complex as a majority of schools give you that freedom to choose a topic.

2. Start from simple to complex and build. Some staff seated there deliberately ask you confusing questions to throw you off...stick to what you know. If their questions are too much, politely ask them to give you a minute to explain one question before moving to another. They do this to test your ability to have class control.

3. If the questions are too off base, tell them that that's not the topic you're teaching, and that in the next class, you'll do more justice to the one they keep asking you questions on.

4. This is very important: start with a little test of previous knowledge. Not something huge, just something small. Then be mobile...move around the class. Throw questions at them... your class must not be boring or be teacher centered. Engage them.

5. Maintain eye contact and be confident. Admit it when you make a mistake and if you don't know something, admit it too. Just say you're not sure of the answer, so you won't want to give a wrong answer. A great teacher is one who admits mistakes. You can't possibly know everything. However, don't do this too often.

6. Most schools give you 10 minutes for micro teaching. They really don't expect you to teach the entire topic in 10 minutes. What matters is how well you do with what you've taught in that 10 minutes.

Goodluck. If the job is yours, you'll get it.

1 Like

Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Ekejoestar(m): 12:36pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

Thank you.

You are smart but you haven't found a way to manage introversion, I guess you buy slightly dark eyeglass and use it during the interview date.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by remiopash: 12:42pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

Thank you.
Think highly of yourself as an expert in the field.Think of your past achievements. Tell yourself ,if you could do it previously ,nothing should stop you now. Have the mentality that those interviewers are just students you are about to teach and nothing more .Practice and research the topic very well before you go.Do your own micro teaching and record the process with your phone.You can ask your friend or a sibling for a mock interview. Best of luck!
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by johnog4sure: 12:46pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

Thank you.
Because of people like I would have to return to organizing public speaking training
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by dboY1123(m): 12:47pm On Aug 21, 2023
naturalwaves:

Hmmm
I get.
Do you have a functional laptop and access to the internet ? Are you good with video conferencing tools ? Do you know how to use a graphics tablet ?

Me sef need ooo
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by tubolancer(m): 12:47pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

Thank you.
You will overcome it, it happened to me and probably happened to many people too. With enough experience you will succeed, the last school I taught, I take a class of over 100 students both internal and external students. You have to face your fears, free yourself from nervousness and be bold. God will help you.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Omobada(m): 12:47pm On Aug 21, 2023
KyleJason:

Can you contact me on Whatsapp? I'll show you how to teach those panelists any topics, be it in science or Math using the British Curriculum method/style.

I assure you, it's going to be highly interactive micro teaching.

At the end of the micro teaching, the principal will be begging to pay you more than N150,000 as salary.

I've been teaching for the past 20 years.
I'll like to be shown that way too. Ur WhatsApp number pls?
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by toprealman: 1:10pm On Aug 21, 2023
dboY1123:

Thank you.
Shii happens, congrats on learning something new via the experiment.
Teaching is an art and anyone can learn it.
It can only get better.
Good luck in your next interview.

1 Like

Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Dybala11(m): 1:23pm On Aug 21, 2023
Natbrowny:

ASwear. D way nigerians abuse the word introverts ehn. U go weak.

Nah, stage fright is actually one of the things that can be a constant with introverts compared to extroverts o. It's not an excuse though, it only shows that the OP is not only an introvert but hasn't been doing much to better himself in the area of communicating with others effectively when the need arises. I'm also in OP's category though, I've aced a number of public speech and I've also performed horribly in others. I remembered one public speech I fluffed last year, one of my undoing that day was my lack of adequate preparation sha.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by moshuur(m): 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2023
illicit:
U can't face an audience and u applied for teaching of all jobs?

Introvert doesn't necessarily mean that u are not smart or bold

It just means u prefer to stay indoors

That word is the most abused

God bless you...I just gave u a like.

people really abuse that word...being an introvert does not mean one should be timid

1 Like

Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Chrisnrld: 1:32pm On Aug 21, 2023
KyleJason:

Can you contact me on Whatsapp? I'll show you how to teach those panelists any topics, be it in science or Math using the British Curriculum method/style.

I assure you, it's going to be highly interactive micro teaching.

At the end of the micro teaching, the principal will be begging to pay you more than N150,000 as salary.

I've been teaching for the past 20 years. Whatsapp line is 08165199206
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by Dybala11(m): 1:32pm On Aug 21, 2023
illicit:

Sometimes you need some serious beating to get ur head straight

Not every correction is made by smiling

You don't apply for a professorship when u haven't learnt ABC
Both of you are right bro. This is definitely OP's first attempt at it, do you really expect him to be perfect??
Also, the responsibility is on OP to develop himself, that's where you are right.
Re: I Actually Flopped In My Micro Teaching Interview by naturalwaves: 1:34pm On Aug 21, 2023
TrustNone:
Yes I'm good with video conference tools and I'm equipped with digital skills but I don't have a PC.
I was actually thinking of saving up from this job to either get a laptop or start a business
When you get one, you can switch to online teaching and forget about these 30k jobs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mtn/diamond Bank DYA Teller Agent / General Electric Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment (8 Positions) / Non-teaching Vacancies: Federal University Of Technology Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.