Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever (22439 Views)

Ese Odoko: My Son Ogaga Oduko Dropped From U-17 World Cup For Abba Abichi / Super Falcons Qualify For The Second Round In The Women’s World Cup / Spain Win Copa Lagos Beach Soccer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by AImiron: 1:32pm On Aug 20, 2023
SYDNEY, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Spain defeated England 1-0 in the final of the Women's World Cup on Sunday, capping off a tournament that has broken attendance and TV records and raised hopes of a surge in interest for the women's game.

Co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand, the ninth edition of the global showpiece event was the first to be held in the southern hemisphere.

While local interest ebbed when Australia exited in the semi-finals, just shy of two million fans will have passed through the gates in nine host cities after Sunday's final crowd of 75,784 is added to the tally.

An Olga Carmona goal was the difference between the two sides in a pulsating game that saw Spain create the majority of the clear-cut chances.

Thousands of fans milled around Stadium Australia in Sydney hours before kick-off on Sunday, with troupes of drummers and stilt walkers creating a festival atmosphere.

England and Spain were both making their first appearance at a Women's World Cup final, while England's wait for a first trophy since the men's tournament in 1966 goes on.

Australia's semi-final loss to England on Wednesday drew an average of 7.13 million viewers on the channels of local broadcaster Seven Network, the highest viewership ever recorded by research firm OzTAM, which launched in 2001.

Matildas matches sold out months in advance, and organisers expect the average attendance to overtake 30,000 once all 64 matches are completed.

The last Women's World Cup in France four years ago attracted more than 1.1. million fans to 52 matches with an average crowd of 21,756.

Demand was weaker in New Zealand, whose team went out in the group stages. FIFA gave away thousands of tickets and some games attracted as few as 7,000 fans, although White Ferns matches broke records for a soccer crowd in the country.

FUNDING GAP

Australia's players, who lost 2-0 in a third-place playoff match to Sweden on Saturday, will earn $165,000 each in prize money for this tournament, more than 300 times the A$750 ($480) they received for a quarter-final appearance in 2015.

SOURCE

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by samwillyco1(m): 1:35pm On Aug 20, 2023
Congratulations to them. Happy Sunday to everybody.

First to comment for the first time, and its Sunday afternoon.

Infact, I will do giveaway if Chelsea losses today's match.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Alchemy528: 1:35pm On Aug 20, 2023
Good luck
Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by IboHausaYoruba: 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2023
In as much as i want England to win, Spain came with focus, determination and hunger. The trophy rests well in the hand of those deservedly merited
it. Congratulations Spain!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Numerouno94(m): 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2023
Spain is class.

They simply outplayed England.

They played a wonderful and mind blowing tiki-taka to destroy and confuse the Lioness, they reminded me of Pep's free flowing tiki-taka while at Barca during the days of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

Why re my surprised? 6 Barca players re in this team.

Wat a dominant performance from Spain.

77 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Ladiesdoctor(m): 1:38pm On Aug 20, 2023
Thank you Spain

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Mindlog: 1:43pm On Aug 20, 2023
Well deserved.

7 Likes

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by wittywriter: 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2023
These babes deserved to be champs.

Wittyness

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Cineinfo(m): 1:51pm On Aug 20, 2023
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by GOFRONT(m): 2:03pm On Aug 20, 2023
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by sukkot: 2:06pm On Aug 20, 2023
cool. revenge for stepping on alozie

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Zxcvbnmghtr: 2:09pm On Aug 20, 2023
Infact Nigeria was the only difficult match England played but Spain went through difficult matches. They played Japan which is a great team with potentials of lifting the cup. Japan actually won Spain in the group stage. Spain played against the Neds another great team, as well as the Sweds who have reached the semifinals a good number of times.

The beauty of the Spanish team's success story is about the coach who had to assemble this particular winning team in a short while because they original players that should have represented Spain chose not to play for Spain because the Spanish FA did not subscribe to their bidding which was, they wanted the coach to be sacked.
Only 3 players from the original played in this world cup.

Spain wins 1-0.

I'm so happy for Salma Paralluelo , the Spanish Guinean who used to be an athlete but turned footballer. Specialized in hurdles.

We weren't opportuned to play female soccer. May be I would have tried my legs too on the football pitch instead of track and field. I'm so happy for Spain.

More so, Spain are the current world champions in the female u-17, u-20 and now the senior world cup of which Salma Paralluelo was a key player in all of this and who was born in 2003.

Spain along side Germany are the only countries that has won both the men and women's world cup.

That is astonishing! cheesy. I'm so happy for Spain.

A very interesting world cup. I love the Reggae girls of Jamaica too, very much inspired by Bob Marley's daughter. Above all I love our supper falcons. They made us proud.

Always remember, life is full of challenges. It is only the untalented and lazy minded that use challenges and problems as an excuse for not succeeding. Known for always complaining, complaining and complaining, criticizing, criticizing and criticizing because they expect success to come without sacrifice and effort. What they always want is a short cuts.

No pain no gain.

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by callmevirus(m): 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2023
Congratulations to them
Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Sweetvie: 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2023
Good
Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by EmiDon11: 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2023
MY CRUSHS:

»»»Michelle Alozie of Nigeria.

»»»Salma Parellulo of Spain.

»»»Esmee Brugts of Netherland.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by MyExpression(m): 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2023
England reach final?!

So if to say we beat England, na we for play final?!

Damn!

(Some Nigerian reasoning)

18 Likes

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by BigBlackPreek(m): 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2023
Congratulations to the Spain women national team
Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by raskymonojendor: 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2023
Wawu. I hope it was that tall beautiful mixed race girl that scored the winning goal cool
Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Goodlady(f): 2:31pm On Aug 20, 2023
Sorry England.
Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by 96ACE: 2:32pm On Aug 20, 2023
Gather here if you’re happy england didn’t win the cup grin

98 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Storypot: 2:32pm On Aug 20, 2023
Very Nice. Thay reece James sister stomping on our dear baby was the height of it and their undoing!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Jahwinaboy(m): 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2023
Well deserved. Whenever they get to final, it's coming home. They mostly go home not winning grin

11 Likes

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by MyExpression(m): 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2023
Storypot:
Very Nice. Thay reece James sister stomping on our dear baby was the height of it and their undoing!

How?

They still got to the finals!

Did the match ban affect her till the finals?

-I've not been following since our women lost.
Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Pakute: 2:33pm On Aug 20, 2023
Cr7 go dey jealous right now, The fake look-alike world cup dem carry give am in the desert league was an insult to football. The only hope for Ronaldo to win world cup is to deactivate his preek and go join portugal women's team.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by EmiDon11: 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2023
raskymonojendor:
Wawu. I hope it was that tall beautiful mixed race girl that scored the winning goal cool
that banny set like mad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by Gadafii: 2:34pm On Aug 20, 2023
We am happy for them, I wish super falcon had progressed beyond the round of 16, we was just unlucky not to score, England had nothing in us

3 Likes

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by spiSeyi: 2:35pm On Aug 20, 2023
This should be Super Falcons if not for the NFF

3 Likes

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by extol1(m): 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2023
Spain women team made my day, I was really happy that England didn't win it. Their media would have been everywhere

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever by MyExpression(m): 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2023
96ACE:
Gather here if you’re happy england didn’t win the cup grin

It's not happiness per se...we're just glad

...we will not be counted under their Conquest to the Title.
That would be a long time shame on highlight.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Calabar Stadium…eagles’ Slaughter Slab / FIFA Remembers Enyimba's Spectacular CAF Triumph 10 Years After / List Uncapped in-form Players Keshi Should Call-up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.