Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? (22388 Views)

How Are You Surviving In This Economy? / Ghost Terrorizes Family In The United Kingdom (Pictures) / Beautiful Photos Of 5 Family In Matching Outfits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Dshocker(m): 11:55pm On Aug 27, 2023
ideamonster:
It's no surprise that things are getting harder every year in Nigeria. Even before the subsidy removal, the cost of everyday items are on the rise.

You may have noticed that the size of bread that sold for N200 about 5 years ago now goes for N1000. This means that families today need to allocate 5 times amount of money to bread than they used to five years ago. What even makes it harder is that every year since 2015, Nigeria has added a minimum of 7 million children every year. This is more than the size of singapore. It is worth nothing that 63 million Nigerians are alive today, who had not ben born when Muhammadu Buhari was elected in 2015. And with Nigeria's current fertility rate of 5.31 children per mother, each additional birth is creating an increase in the number of people who need to be fed.

In light of the following, several people are exploring the possibility that should Nigeria place limits on child size per family similar to such a policy enacted by the government of China in the late 1970s. In the special report exploring this topic below, population scientists, policy analysts, statisticians and everyday people ask the question: Is it time for Nigeria to start limiting children born into each family in this economy?

Do you agree? Do you support it? What alternatives to such a policy exist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9NqnySifX8

We ought to, but Nigeria has not gotten to that stage.

The people of the land must have felt the impact of government in their lives, before they will listen to the government.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by HateBigots: 11:55pm On Aug 27, 2023
grin
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by YeyeGbami: 11:56pm On Aug 27, 2023
;They no need tell person, gone are those days wey dem go yarn you say pikin go bring wetin him go chop. grin

4 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Buhari4dullard: 11:56pm On Aug 27, 2023
Coldie:
Northerners will come after u
what makes you think that the North has population?
If they did they wont be importing people from Niger Republic to vote.

If they did their govs wont be paying for them to get married
https://www.nairaland.com/7815794/kano-approves-854m-mass-wedding

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by abobote: 11:58pm On Aug 27, 2023
Me I like children o, I'm planning to have minimum of 5
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by DrAda(f): 11:58pm On Aug 27, 2023
Yes.
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Incognito403: 12:02am On Aug 28, 2023
SocialJustice:
There's no need limiting anything. Poverty will teach any unwise family a bitter lesson. This is not even a time to get married, talk of having children.
Is population the cause of poverty?

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Originalsly: 12:03am On Aug 28, 2023
Hmmm .... seems like it is in our DNA not to think things through... we are becoming more short sighted.... love to first leap then look after to see where we will land.... as in removing the subsidy on petrol. Limiting children in poor families. What will determine if a family is poor? What will determine when it is okay for the same family to have another child?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Incognito403: 12:04am On Aug 28, 2023
BlessedOne259:

It will never be possible because it will be impossible to enforce it especially in Northern Nigeria
I'm not a northerner but I don't think anyone has any right to tell me how many children I should have if I'm not begging him to cater for them.

3 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Incognito403: 12:05am On Aug 28, 2023
ibechris:
U see this topic,malam no wan hear say,them say make him no born pikin again.

Lai lai.
What have you achieved with your family planning?
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by MrsTwrite(f): 12:05am On Aug 28, 2023
Bad leadership is the genesis of our problems.

6 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Incognito403: 12:08am On Aug 28, 2023
Puss360:
Long overdue..... Very long over do...

But we are being hindered by two main reasons..

-
1- RELIGION -
According to Christian Bible, Gen 1 Vs 28, "Be fruitful and multiply, Subdue the earth and conquer it" was God's word to man..
Again, Psam 127 vs 3-5 " Children are heritage from the lord....................... Blessed is the man who filled his quiver with them"

According to Islam Quran "Sura 4 (An-nisa) Ayah 3, talks about a man marrying more than one wife....

2- LEGISLATURE
The vast majority of our house of assembly are made of Islamic members..
So it is really hard to pass such a very delicate law....

But on a long run it will be beneficial to our economy
How is a man marrying more than one wife a problem?
What's the difference between a man marrying two wives and two men marrying one woman each?

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by DeOTR: 12:09am On Aug 28, 2023
ideamonster:
It's no surprise that things are getting harder every year in Nigeria. Even before the subsidy removal, the cost of everyday items are on the rise.

You may have noticed that the size of bread that sold for N200 about 5 years ago now goes for N1000. This means that families today need to allocate 5 times amount of money to bread than they used to five years ago. What even makes it harder is that every year since 2015, Nigeria has added a minimum of 7 million children every year. This is more than the size of singapore. It is worth nothing that 63 million Nigerians are alive today, who had not ben born when Muhammadu Buhari was elected in 2015. And with Nigeria's current fertility rate of 5.31 children per mother, each additional birth is creating an increase in the number of people who need to be fed.

In light of the following, several people are exploring the possibility that should Nigeria place limits on child size per family similar to such a policy enacted by the government of China in the late 1970s. In the special report exploring this topic below, population scientists, policy analysts, statisticians and everyday people ask the question: Is it time for Nigeria to start limiting children born into each family in this economy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9NqnySifX8
Honestly, yes. You don't have to give birth if you don't have the means of taking care of them. That's the root cause of our major problems.
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Incognito403: 12:10am On Aug 28, 2023
GboyegaD:
While one would expect people to be reasonable, poverty has eaten so deep into our culture and people have been brainwashed with religion; thus, reasoning has been discarded by a majority of people. For this reason, it will be nice for the government to bring up a restriction policy. However, for a country that has no statistics, where do we start from?
I think you're the one who has been brainwashed by an untested ideology.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by FuckingNaira: 12:11am On Aug 28, 2023
shocked
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by SuccessfulRichi: 12:11am On Aug 28, 2023
I think this is the right time for Nigeria government to step and take the bold step like China did and it helped the economy. Population in Nigeria is growing doubling every year while we don't even produce anything. Tell me how our GDP per Capita will grow?? A country that still suffering from high level of illiteracy and ignorance. Omo population go suplus

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by DeOTR: 12:12am On Aug 28, 2023
SocialJustice:
There's no need limiting anything. Poverty will teach any unwise family a bitter lesson. This is not even a time to get married, talk of having children.
This won't work.
In most cases, it's the poor that breed like rats.
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by xandy84: 12:12am On Aug 28, 2023
Nigeria is a plural society and enforcing child limit is not feasible and any politician that even suggest such law, his/her political career is dead on arrival. Why would a politician suggest a law that will make him unpopular and possibly cost him an election?
Nigeria and England population is almost about same in 1960 while Nigeria population is over 220 million now, England population is little over 60 million.
I was reading an article that say Nigeria will be the third largest country by population in 2050 but the whole country land mass is equal to the size of Texas.
The question will all need to ask is how does Nigeria intend to feed her citizens when we procreates as such an alarming rate that even developed countries will struggle to her their citizens if they are same situation as Nigeria?
Nigeria is structured to fail and when you hear politician talking about fixing the rot, all I do is laugh cos the indicator is obvious we are heading to a fail society if we don't make a 180 degree turn for the better.

4 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Thundafireseun: 12:16am On Aug 28, 2023
ItisWell22:
Not possible! 😏😢

The one they’ll enforce in south, while leaving the north out of it for religious reasons; then tomorrow distribute resources based on population ?😩

You read my thought…

Infact you are the only person with a valid point

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by tctrills: 12:19am On Aug 28, 2023

The alternative is Good government. Rather than Government limiting the birth rate, let them limit corruption.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by JaneYave(f): 12:21am On Aug 28, 2023
Babangida gave 4 as limit then, how long did that last?
How many children is considered enough? It differs from person to person

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by bonnyhope: 12:22am On Aug 28, 2023
SocialJustice:

How are you sure the future will be better

You better go and marry and stop using bad economy as excuse
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by matm: 12:30am On Aug 28, 2023
Evolutionlove:
Limit What??

When I'm planning to marry Three Wives and have at least A Dozen of Children.

Congrats for planning to unleash ur procreation energy in a huge way.That will be awesome as u bear d heavy responsibilities dt go with kids upbringing.
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by youngrichnigga: 12:32am On Aug 28, 2023
Dead on arrival; when it's the only hold a particular region has on the others to continue leading us like stupid sheep....theyll never agree to that.
Whenever I read somethings on NL, I just laugh because so many don't know that Nigeria is a large experiment being conducted by the West especially UK. A bet is on for the possibility of the people pushing for good governance or not. Funny enough,we are not close to a revolt even in 20-years and the West have a win-win bet undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by matm: 12:34am On Aug 28, 2023
BOOKWORMLUX:
People are still marrying 4 wives.
Kano is planning mass wedding for youths.
Suffer no dey tire us.
We are Nigerians
Even God done tire for us.

Some people give birth to plenty children and send them off to become almajiris.

Most of d kids were born unintentionally through regular sex for fun sake
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by jojothaiv(m): 12:36am On Aug 28, 2023
BlessedOne259:

Some Northerners are not immunized. Their religion is not against BVN. Their religion allows them marry more than one wife and they believe they are expected to produce as many kids as possible. The country will be aflame if any government try to enforce it.

I think the only way it can be enforced is it Nigeria is split into different country.
Still some northerners don't have BVN and have no need opening a bank accounts and they have stash of cash, the Naira redesign policy opened our eyes to many things sha.
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by SocialJustice: 12:37am On Aug 28, 2023
Incognito403:

Is population the cause of poverty?
If 2 people share N10k and 20 people share same amount, which of the 2 groups will get better amount each?

14 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by SocialJustice: 12:39am On Aug 28, 2023
bonnyhope:

How are you sure the future will be better

You better go and marry and stop using bad economy as excuse
Live your life and let me live mine. Not everyone is stupid enough to embrace poverty in the name of starting a family.

2 Likes

Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by LivingTribunal: 12:41am On Aug 28, 2023
If it is enforced, and a family is caught having babies than they are supposed to, i guess the man will be going to jail for it, and what is the authority going to do with the baby? Are they going to kill the children or something? smh and what about the unmarried that would obviously make babies out of wedlock, what could be their punishment and fate of their baby?

This won't definitely work in an uncivilized country as Nigeria
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by rickleye: 12:47am On Aug 28, 2023
Ha ! We are just 166 million in the country and 100million outside . Don’t try it that the only thing the poor enjoy ..
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by Kobojunkie: 12:57am On Aug 28, 2023
SocialJustice:
Has poverty succeeded in doing that thus far? Many now resort to abandoning their children resulting in the increasing numbers of homeless children and rise in child prostitution. undecided
Re: Should Nigeria Limit Children Born Into Each Family In This Economy? by SocialJustice: 12:59am On Aug 28, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Has poverty succeeded in doing that thus far? Many now resort to abandoning their children resulting in the increasing numbers of homeless children and rise in child prostitution. undecided
That's just irresponsible people having unprotected sex. I was referring to sane, responsible people in my post.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lady Read Out The “12 Commandments” Every Married Woman Must Obey (vid) / 15 Items That Can Save Your Family’s Life / Names That Make One Looks Older Than His Age

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.