Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,968 members, 7,814,263 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook (18116 Views)

HURIWA Apologizes To Asabe Waziri An NNPCL Staff Over Defamatory Statement / Emefiele Demands N25bn As Damages From Akpabio Over ‘defamatory Remark’ / Court Jails Senator Peter Nwaoboshi For 7 Years For Money Laundering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by abc115: 5:55pm On Aug 22, 2023
A former lecturer in the Department of Chemistry at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Peter Ekemezie, has been sentenced to six months imprisonment for publishing defamatory statements against one Prof. Alex Asigbo.

Ekemezie who was charged with three-count bordering on forgery and defamation, was however given an option of N300,000 fine.

While delivering the judgment at an Awka Magistrates’ court, on Tuesday, His Worship, E.C. Chukwu, said he took into consideration the fact that the defendant had spent one month in a psychiatric home and four months in a Correctional Centre.

During the trial, Asigbo told the court that Ekemezie forged his signature when he refused to give him (Ekemezie) a witness statement but instead advised him to procure a subpoena.

https://punchng.com/court-jails-unizik-ex-lecturer-for-defamatory-comments-on-facebook/

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by slimfit1(m): 6:00pm On Aug 22, 2023
The people who approved this law will be a victim of the law soon.

13 Likes

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by talented321: 6:01pm On Aug 22, 2023
Maybe he mistake facebook for nairaland'' if u carry nairaland mentality go facebook.... Them go treat ur fuckup''

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by endsarrrs(f): 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
How I wish some Nairaland people can be taken to court.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by Jackson619007: 6:14pm On Aug 22, 2023
Lol, he go explain tire.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by Parachoko: 6:52pm On Aug 22, 2023
Good One

He will spend 3 month in Jail
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by accordadoga25(f): 11:17pm On Aug 22, 2023
One of those obid.e.nse Igbos should also be made a scape goat

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by ATEAMS: 11:18pm On Aug 22, 2023
I’m learning to love the sound of my feet walking away from things not meant for me.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by Biola67: 11:18pm On Aug 22, 2023
Tcheewww
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by Sirseedorf(m): 11:20pm On Aug 22, 2023
cheesy

Better
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by Luckysbab: 11:24pm On Aug 22, 2023
So the defamed can't defend himself? Why should a third party (the court) help him fight his fight? And what happened to the freedom of speech?

That above sounds foolish, right? This is exactly how Christians especially sound when they question why Muslims are angry over someone defaming the Prophet of Islam or other symbols of the religion.

Just like the court will intervene as the custodians of the professor's human rights of decency, so will the body of Islamic faithfuls intervene as the custodians of the customs and traditions of their Noble Prophet. The only clause being that individual adherents are not supposed to take laws into their hands, but rather refer to the Shari'a courts.

Freedom of expression should not be abused.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by starbuck(f): 11:33pm On Aug 22, 2023
He was my lecturer back then in Tansian University and he was just a cool and calm man...

People do really change 🤦‍♀️

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by Chibuzoripob: 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2023
cool good for him
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by vincenteger: 11:55pm On Aug 22, 2023
Deformation of character

Even people without Character will be chanting deformation
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by FreeStuffsNG: 11:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
starbuck:
He was my lecturer back then in Tansian University and he was just a cool and calm man...

Please which one is @bolded?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by TotoGame(m): 11:59pm On Aug 22, 2023
simpleseyi:

So MAD men dey teach for universities in Igbo land. No wonder the type of graduates they produce

You saw "former" or you intentionally wanna display your acute stupidity here

However, the said. Former lecturer isn't mad, I know him too well

8 Likes

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by starbuck(f): 12:08am On Aug 23, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Please which one is @bolded?

It's a private university down here in the east, you can google search

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by iHart(m): 12:29am On Aug 23, 2023
Na wa oh. This case lingered oh
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by makapella(m): 12:56am On Aug 23, 2023
starbuck:

You were in Tansian?? I was there when they were at Oba

4 Likes

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by starbuck(f): 1:06am On Aug 23, 2023
makapella:

You were in Tansian?? I was there when they were at Oba

Graduated 2012, so I was also in Oba then
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by YorubaRonu01: 1:34am On Aug 23, 2023
Quite a pity!
This man has battled a lot of things.
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by FreeStuffsNG: 1:54am On Aug 23, 2023
starbuck:

It's a private university down here in the east, you can google search
Never heard of it. Thank you

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by tonicyril: 2:10am On Aug 23, 2023
starbuck:

Now we heard the nigga is a psyco man, and he was ur lecturer??

Ooh geez!!!!

1 Like

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by patrickcollins: 2:24am On Aug 23, 2023
simpleseyi:

So MAD men dey teach for universities in Igbo land. No wonder the type of graduates they produce
Just like the lecturer Prof in Lagos that have been serial rapist and dealing with women for that side, is he mad or not

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by MEGAWATCH: 4:01am On Aug 23, 2023
simpleseyi:

Funny enough, the only thing a Yoruba person thinks about is IGBOS that's why they are always afraid anytime they hear Igbos talking about leaving NIGERIA.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by SaLongs1(m): 4:20am On Aug 23, 2023
Luckysbab:
So the defamed can't defend himself? Why should a third party (the court) help him fight his fight? And what happened to the freedom of speech?

That above sounds foolish, right? This is exactly how Christians especially sound when they question why Muslims are angry over someone defaming the Prophet of Islam or other symbols of the religion.

Just like the court will intervene as the custodians of the professor's human rights of decency, so will the body of Islamic faithfuls intervene as the custodians of the customs and traditions of their Noble Prophet. The only clause being that individual adherents are not supposed to take laws into their hands, but rather refer to the Shari'a courts.

Freedom of expression should not be abused.
You go explain tire. Islamabad is the capital of Pakistan and they are known for religious extremism.

2 Likes

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by SavageResponse(m): 4:22am On Aug 23, 2023
Jackson619007:
Lol, he go explain tire.

Make him dey explain dey go, shebi na him write am for Facebook! angry

1 Like

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by AllBlack: 5:27am On Aug 23, 2023
abc115:

the defendant had spent one month in a psychiatric home and four months in a Correctional Centre

Many Nigerian lecturers will fail psychiatric evaluation tests. government needs to start making it compulsory as a prerequisite to entering such a sensitive profession.

1 Like

Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by AllBlack: 5:30am On Aug 23, 2023
endsarrrs:
How I wish some Nairaland people can be taken to court.

and you think you will be free
Re: Court Jails UNIZIK Ex-Lecturer For Defamatory Comments On Facebook by theophorus(m): 5:49am On Aug 23, 2023
If dem dey caution you na cause dem like you and dem no want make you enter prison for 6months.

I hope some people will learn from this and stop all their insults and Lies before he go carry dem go where dem no know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

El-rufai Donates 107 Patrol Vehicles, Security Gadgets To Kaduna Police. Photos / Dino Melaye Hires Mike Ozekhome To Stop His Recall In Court / NERC: Discos To Pay For Rejecting Electricity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.