Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,842 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' (47699 Views)

Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering / Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by segcymoor(m): 11:03am On Aug 23, 2023
defebe:
2300 pound is like earning 200k monthly in Nigeria, [b]please tell me how a family man based in lagos can survive in Lagos with 200k. [/b]Which loan are you paying, when you still pay rent..The major loan people pay in UK is Mortgate and Auto loan of wch auto loan is minute compare to mortgage. With 2300 you can live a decent life in UK if you mo do pass yourself..A saving of 500 pounds monthly is to too small

Please tell me how many % of family man that even earn up to 200k in Lagos?

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by segcymoor(m): 11:05am On Aug 23, 2023
uuzba:

If Nigerians are not cheerful givers, how then are their pastors rich?

Perhaps gullible givers and not cheerful givers shocked
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by IbeOkehie: 11:14am On Aug 23, 2023
justwise:

Lucky to get night shift job? What are you talking about? So many companies have night shift work system, train companies, the police force, warehouses, supermarkets, hospitals etc

I think it's better to stop arguing with people who've never left Nigeria. Only someone who's never lived in the Anglo-West will tell you getting night shift work is difficult or "by luck". Night shift work is the easier to get because most Native born or experienced people don't want to do it. I'm sure this is the case in the UK as it is in the USA. I know because I worked night shift for over 12 years in various jobs.

Not only are the jobs easier to get, they pay better....10 years ago in my industry it was 25% extra pay plus my last employer added $7K bonus if you never miss more than 1 day in a 6 month period. Add to that, many of these night jobs are 7 day on, 7 day off or 4 day on, 3 day off so a willing person can even do other work or overtime on days off. Note too that because of the schedule, taking 1 week off turns into a 3 week vacation. I had many colleagues who did this work so they could take care of their children during the day while their spouse worked.

I tire for these threads always dragging diasporans. It's sad, but I understand the mindset. Nothing to be done except try and ignore them, but some of the claims are just hard to ignore. Downright ignorant.

segcymoor:

Please tell me how many % of family man that even earn up to 200k in Lagos?

Reliable data from PwC Nigeria states that 0.5% of Nigerian adults earn over $200K per month in Nigeria. And I know it's accurate by my own first hand experiences and observations.

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by uuzba(m): 11:15am On Aug 23, 2023
segcymoor:

Perhaps gullible givers and not cheerful givers shocked
I've heard it said that Nigerians so much distrust and hate the government.
So they go to all these churches left and right to get solace from the pastors.
... a place to get rest of mind.
Hence they happily donate whatever the pastor asks instead.
Nigerians will rather give money to pastor than give money to pay tax.
They are sure the pastor will pray for them with their donation money.
But they are not sure the government will do anything good with their tax money.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by dyera(m): 11:19am On Aug 23, 2023
Pierocash:
This is a country some people in Nigeria will sell their houses , cars , and borrow loan to migrate to. You see a multi millionaire here , doing well here migrate to UK after selling their properties, only to end up doing menial jobs to survive. No be juju be that

No matter how you look at it, that is modern day slavery. People doing well in Africa are lured with the promise of a better life, only for them to end up at the bottom of the society over there.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by segcymoor(m): 11:21am On Aug 23, 2023
Toks2008:

Gbam.

When you ask, you think you are the only one asking not knowing there are many people in line already.

On the average, people in UK or anywhere in the west part with not less than N200k every month in form of handouts to people in naija.

I have 2 uncles in UK and 1 in Australia...for over 2 decades

I am not very sure I chop there 5 naira before

Rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by bigiyaro(m): 11:21am On Aug 23, 2023
Normally the British empire was built on stolen resources from other lands, Dem no really get anything.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by zanebaddo(m): 11:59am On Aug 23, 2023
Mindlog:
And the writer, Osahon George Osayimwen still lives in the UK. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
mad people no be the same UK I dey? Omo once you get eligibility to live and work here and can hustle baba you go make am. The one problem we have is eligibility. It makes it difficult to navigate the system. These set of Nigerians always writing this rubbish dey make me vex eh. Dem think say once you enter here dem ask you to sit down and offer you a job with 10k pounds a month and you really don't have to do much to earn it. Just work like a federal civil servant lol mad people
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Dikastan: 12:07pm On Aug 23, 2023
seuncyrus:

If you don't beg , how do you know they're stingy
If someone did not help them,how would they go there?
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by vengertime: 12:18pm On Aug 23, 2023
segcymoor:

Big lies!...80% of my client were from abroad mostly UK

As a professional...I am not very sure I have build a burgalow for over a decade of practice..

Na me you wan use sell your market?

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by justwise(m): 12:24pm On Aug 23, 2023
IbeOkehie:

I think it's better to stop arguing with people who've never left Nigeria. Only someone who's never lived in the Anglo-West will tell you getting night shift work is difficult or "by luck". Night shift work is the easier to get because most Native born or experienced people don't want to do it. I'm sure this is the case in the UK as it is in the USA. I know because I worked night shift for over 12 years in various jobs.

Not only are the jobs easier to get, they pay better....10 years ago in my industry it was 25% extra pay plus my last employer added $7K bonus if you never miss more than 1 day in a 6 month period. Add to that, many of these night jobs are 7 day on, 7 day off or 4 day on, 3 day off so a willing person can even do other work or overtime on days off. Note too that because of the schedule, taking 1 week off turns into a 3 week vacation. I had many colleagues who did this work so they could take care of their children during the day while their spouse worked.

I tire for these threads always dragging diasporans. It's sad, but I understand the mindset. Nothing to be done except try and ignore them, but some of the claims are just hard to ignore. Downright ignorant.

Reliable data from PwC Nigeria states that 0.5% of Nigerian adults earn over $200K per month in Nigeria. And I know it's accurate by my own first hand experiences and observations.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

That was exactly why i bothered to comment. I'm shocked at the level of ignorant some people display here...i mean even if you can't read and wite there is not excuse.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by grandstar(m): 1:27pm On Aug 23, 2023
AllenSpencer:
Been that way since the 80’s

UK people are “NATURALLY” stingy!

Rumors even has it that, Peter Obi learnt it from there.

When I was in the UK for 2 months in 2020, not a single soul asked me for a dime.

Upon my return at Muritala, officials there were already begging me for money grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by GboyegaD(m): 2:14pm On Aug 23, 2023
kingthreat:

At a point or the other, we all needed help. Stop saying people are entitled as reasons not to give. Like a guy his family packaged 2M to support him to go abroad, now things are hard for them at home, to help he says they are entitled. Shouldn't that money contributed be used to construct a poultry farm?

I can assure you that many who complain are not immediate family member. More so, was he told they were helping so that he can be forever indebted?
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by jesmond3945: 2:19pm On Aug 23, 2023
sukkot:
yes parents who are lucky to have figured it out and gotten a job that ends at say 2 pm. It’s all luck. There aren’t too many jobs that end at 2pm unless you own the business then you can Break at 2 to go pick the kids. Most of these women you see coming to pick up their children are business owners
go and sit down

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by jesmond3945: 2:24pm On Aug 23, 2023
Tonnierichy:

Rubbish. This mentality is stale. Give your kids good education. Guide them on the modern ways to make money and be highly competitive globally. Western countries will beg them with visa when they grow up.

We live in a digital world now. Nothing your kids wanna learn abroad that they can't learn in Nigeria. And who told you your child's destiny is to live outside his parent country? Don't white people work, grow old and die in Nigeria?

thats all it is modern way to make money including ritual, juju and yahoo. As western countries are begging us with visa now. My dear stop deceiving yourself. Before your kid can go to a uk equivalent public school you need to cough out millions. You think software licenses and access to institutional subscriptions is beans. Can you even afford to send your child to covenant university sef. The only white people doing that are lebanese, pakistanis and indians. Westerns just come to holiday and mine your minerals.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by jesmond3945: 2:26pm On Aug 23, 2023
adonainana:

Yes I am saying the same thing immigrant kids in the uk who would have no choice but to go to state schools in the uk CAN be compared to some Nigerian kids who attend good schools in Nigeria. Infact I will take the Nigerian kids over them

The difference between them won’t be and can’t be as you imagined

Some state schools in the uk are terrible, extremely terrible. So my example was it depends on the type of individual exposure they got , there are some really really good schools in Nigeria although they are private schools and they cost an arm and a leg .

But the general comparison of comparing just any uk kid living in the uk and in Nigeria isn’t just about right
not really. Our mode of learning is different. Here they expose you to a lot of stuff while you make use of it. In nija is different. You cram and pour.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by sukkot: 2:27pm On Aug 23, 2023
jesmond3945:
go and sit down
cheesy grin
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Jamie1000: 2:40pm On Aug 23, 2023
UK ppl are stingy. E dey run for thier blood.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by kingthreat(m): 3:37pm On Aug 23, 2023
GboyegaD:

I can assure you that many who complain are not immediate family member. More so, was he told they were helping so that he can be forever indebted?

One thing I have noticed is that stingy people use the word "entitlement mentality" as an excuse not to show love. This life is just a phase, lets help while we can. Things are hard in Nigeria and if your loved one who has never asked, asks stop looking for an excuse to be stingy.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by GboyegaD(m): 4:42pm On Aug 23, 2023
kingthreat:

One thing I have noticed is that stingy people use the word "entitlement mentality" as an excuse not to show love. This life is just a phase, lets help while we can. Things are hard in Nigeria and if your loved one who has never asked, asks stop looking for an excuse to be stingy.

If you think those who use that phrase use it because they do not want to show love, that is your thoughts and their choice even if you are right. Things are hard everywhere and people can only help when they feel the need to. An average Nigerian wants to live a lifestyle above his means and expects people to fund it which makes no sense whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by 1Sharon(f): 5:06pm On Aug 23, 2023
uuzba:

In western world, bed wetting girl would have been taken straight to hospital. In UK, gets free treatment. Shey be it is thses Nigerian hospitals that are so bad, that our doctors are running away right there to overseas countries, to work in their hospitals with proper equipment.
These our same Nigerian doctors speaking French here will go overseas and perform miracles in their hospitals.

I've only ever heard about Nigerians bed wetting at an older age. It's weird.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by 1Sharon(f): 5:09pm On Aug 23, 2023
sukkot:
it’s not my opinion, it’s the truth. Those Davido and asake concerts are always full of Nigerian students, especially girls who knew these guys music from back home. The average Londoner or Nigerian who lives permanently in London do not know who asake is and neither do they have time to be going to concerts. Na students Dey get all those kind time and joy

Are you kidding me sukot? Even white people are listening to afrobeats now
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by sukkot: 5:21pm On Aug 23, 2023
1Sharon:

Are you kidding me sukot? Even white people are listening to afrobeats now
yeah white students lol. I just left England like 3 years ago and nobody I knew was checking for afrobeats. But those in college with Nigerian friends had been infected by it. Those concerts is mostly students .
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by 1Sharon(f): 5:29pm On Aug 23, 2023
sukkot:
yeah white students lol. I just left England like 3 years ago and nobody I knew was checking for afrobeats. But those in college with Nigerian friends had been infected by it. Those concerts is mostly students .

How do I know who asake is then? Trust me, UK Nigerians have props these guys up, there's no way they'd be having shows in thr UK if most of their fans were just nigerian students, afrobeats is now international.

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by sukkot: 5:34pm On Aug 23, 2023
1Sharon:

How do I know who asake is then? Trust me, UK Nigerians have props these guys up, there's no way they'd be having shows in thr UK if most of their fans were just nigerian students, afrobeats is now international.
same way i knew who asake is which is through nairaland grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by 1Sharon(f): 5:36pm On Aug 23, 2023
sukkot:
same way i knew who asake is which is through nairaland grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You're kidding me sukot

Maybe you aren't a fan
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by sukkot: 5:44pm On Aug 23, 2023
1Sharon:

You're kidding me sukot

Maybe you aren't a fan
yeah guilty as charged Sharon lol, I don’t listen to afrobeats but I do know burna boy has a global appeal because of his looks. Like he has the head of a Jamaican yardie so I can see the appeal. But ermmm yeah the point here is that the average Nigerian who is over 10 years deep in the Uk is not going to no asake concert. It’s mostly these newcomers and most are spending daddy’s money from Nigeria .

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by 1Sharon(f): 5:49pm On Aug 23, 2023
sukkot:
yeah guilty as charged Sharon lol, I don’t listen to afrobeats but I do know burna boy has a global appeal because of his looks. Like he has the head of a Jamaican yardie so I can see the appeal. But ermmm yeah the point here is that the average Nigerian who is over 10 years deep in the Uk is not going to no asake concert. It’s mostly these newcomers and most are spending daddy’s money from Nigeria .

You're shitting me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by sukkot: 5:51pm On Aug 23, 2023
1Sharon:

You're shitting me
oh am dead serious. I don’t listen to afrobeats. Not my thing
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by 1Sharon(f): 5:52pm On Aug 23, 2023
sukkot:
oh am dead serious. I don’t listen to afrobeats. Not my thing

Well....
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by sukkot: 5:52pm On Aug 23, 2023
1Sharon:

You're shitting me
lol ok that pic was funny lol

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by sukkot: 5:55pm On Aug 23, 2023
1Sharon:

Well....
I don’t listen to much music these days. Music takes my soul to dreamland and I can’t afford to be wasting such emotional energy. I like to be present at all times.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

China-Based Nigerian Man Crashes His G-Wagon SUV. Photos / Woman Kills 3 Children After Her Car Failed Brake In Abia State. Graphic Photos / Nigerians Who Left America And Moved Back To Nigeria, Do You Regret It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.