Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,699 members, 7,823,970 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' (47701 Views)

Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering / Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by GboyegaD(m): 9:55pm On Aug 22, 2023
Why do we like to feel entitled? Whoever has and chooses not to give has the right to his/her resources.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 22, 2023
I don't understand this mantra honestly. Most people i know overseas are trying to move their people (family) to join them overseas. Perhaps it's just my circle.

Are Nigerians in Nigeria cheerful givers? grin

2 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Maxxim: 9:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
Money no dey UK, everywhere tight and most of una dey go asake live concert, dey play

12 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Wisereborn: 9:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
UK is modern day slavery

All they need is your skills and they will ensure that you leave with practically nothing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Exceed15: 9:56pm On Aug 22, 2023
I do not admire UK a bit. My dream place is Australia, Sweden or New Zealand. Baba God help me.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Exceed15: 9:57pm On Aug 22, 2023
I do not admire UK a bit. My dream place is Australia, Sweden or New Zealand.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 22, 2023
AllenSpencer:
Been that way since the 80’s

UK people are “NATURALLY” stingy!

Rumors even has it that, Peter Obi learnt it from there.

We like him like that. We don't follow criminals sharing stolen money

5 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Shedking(m): 9:59pm On Aug 22, 2023
thesicilian:
Even before I saw the name of the writer, I already knew he was writing from the UK and would not hesitate to let us know that.

grin grin grin grin grin Na their way.

She even add her photo 📸

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Gbogbowa: 10:00pm On Aug 22, 2023
With all UK is far better than Nigeria,just the way people were say Lagos is tough but they will not go back to village

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Iko5000: 10:00pm On Aug 22, 2023
The writer of the article only hangs out with Stingy Nigerians or she is waiting for a Nigerian to buy her car and house like political armed robbers back home .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by erico2k2(m): 10:01pm On Aug 22, 2023
AllenSpencer:
Been that way since the 80’s

UK people are “NATURALLY” stingy!

Rumors even has it that, Peter Obi learnt it from there.
Depends on what you mean by stingy

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by formular2002(m): 10:02pm On Aug 22, 2023
I am not stingy and will never be.
As right as this write up looks, it's just to support a wicked act of stinginess.
Now generosity is not stupidity but stinginess is a sin.
If you have, help. No matter how little. At all at all na im bad.
If you are stingy in Nigeria, you will be stingy anywhere in the world.
If you are generous (not stupid) in Nigeria , you will be generous anywhere in the world.
Generosity and stinginess is a personality trait.
No excuse for it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by ChronicGp(m): 10:02pm On Aug 22, 2023
Lies sharap
£1 = ₦1,200

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by formular2002(m): 10:04pm On Aug 22, 2023
ChronicGp:
Lies sharap
£1 = ₦1,200
Now, you don't need plenty generosity. A gift of £10 to someone in need is over 10k in Nigeria and will be much appreciated.
Except if there is a history of extortion

5 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by chatinent: 10:05pm On Aug 22, 2023
vengertime:
In my Local Government Area, nobody from the UK has broken the record by building a duplex.(upstairs)

Na always 3 bedroom portable bungalow

The problem is you actually. You leave your life and suggest how people spend their success. Ha! Odiegwu o

6 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by jogojogo: 10:07pm On Aug 22, 2023
Pierocash:
This is a country some people in Nigeria will sell their houses , cars , and borrow loan to migrate to. You see a multi millionaire here , doing well here migrate to UK after selling their properties, only to end up doing menial jobs to survive. No be juju be that

This is half truth and a bit away from reality.

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by chidi2003(m): 10:08pm On Aug 22, 2023
post=125294164:
If you are in the habit of complaining people are stingy, it might be an indication that you are begging too much.
: Well said!
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Adabestseason(m): 10:08pm On Aug 22, 2023
No wonder UK is a safe-haven for stolen funds from Nigeria and encouraging especially African leaders to loot aimlessly ,blindfold movement of funds to UK.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by happney65: 10:13pm On Aug 22, 2023
Mindlog:
And the writer, Osahon George Osayimwen still lives in the UK. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I tire o. Tell her to come to Naija,they won't o. They fvcking won't. grin

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Adesolomon2014(m): 10:14pm On Aug 22, 2023
No lies though I have not been in UK but I understand.
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by NFBI: 10:14pm On Aug 22, 2023
God when
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Professor822714: 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2023
I disagree. Frugal is the more appropriate[ word. Basically the western world works different from Nigeria and Africa.
You dont see people spraying money in weddings and feeding 1000 people. You have to plan everything 100 percent.
You cant get away from nepa bills like Nigeria.
Nobody depends on anyone else for handouts.
Everything is monitored 24/7- politicians are accountable, police is not collecting bribe and most of all the credit system works- if you dont handle your finances well it affects you in the long run.

So basically, all the leakages in nigeria that have made the country a damn mess dont exist in the west.!author=uche87 post=125289894]Let me start this piece with a common saying on social media. If you are in the habit of complaining people are stingy, it might be an indication that you are begging too much.
Well, much has been said about people in the United Kingdom being tight-fisted. To a large extent, I am of the opinion that this is true and could be attributed to some of the reasons explained below:

(1) Culture:
The United Kingdom just like most Western countries has embraced individualism. The system of every man for himself. In Africa, it is collectivism which simply means 'Let's do it as a family, let's grow together' You will hardly see the core Britons help each other financially. They will rather rely on credit facilities from banks, credit cards, and benefits to survive tough financial times. This is unlike Nigeria where 'billing' is almost cultural in the 21st century due to age-long systemic poverty.

(2) Littany of lies:
Some Nigerians are in the business of cooking up comprehensive and water-tight lies to extort money from their family members abroad. Personally, I have friends who have abandoned their WhatsApp accounts to avoid hearing countless touching stories from friends and acquaintances in Nigeria. To cope with the virus of lies, people in the UK have adopted a firewall to block all intrusions.

(3) Hustle is hard:
Life in the UK is historically difficult, and in recent times, things have gotten tougher for the 6th largest economy in the world due to the growing population, Brexit, COVID-19, and other issues. People work round the clock, under extreme weather conditions, to earn money and the cost of living is too high. As of 2020/2021, employees were chasing people for jobs. Two years later, the reserve is the case, even in the blue-collar jobs industry. So every penny counts. You don't want to make money only to play a Father Christmas to someone whose financial challenges might not be genuine.

(4) Taxes:
This topic doesn't require much explanation as this is a paramount issue in the UK. Any sort of comfort you enjoy in the country is taxed. It runs a service-based economy. I have seen people earn about £3,000 gross salary in a month and get a net pay of £2,300. Income tax, National Insurance, and pension deductions took about £750 which is more than the salary of a successful person in Nigeria. Rent, council tax, loan repayment, vehicle insurance, and others would further beat your take-home pay until it struggles to take you home in the end.

(5) Personality traits
Some people are naturally stingy. In fact, they even struggle to spend their own money on themselves. It appears they might be of the belief that the funds could be taken with them to the great beyond. I have a friend who has no record of helping anybody in the history of his life and he has no plan to turn a new leaf. People like these come to the UK and become hardened in the area of stinginess.

(6) People are broke:
If poverty in the world is being measured by raw cash and not access to food, the UK might be one of the poorest countries in Europe. Most people have to overwork, to the detriment of their health to make extra bucks. This is why some locals see the paper chase as a rat race and they prefer to stay unemployed and focus on benefits from the government. Furthermore, the housing crisis in the UK is real. As a family man, 70% of your monthly earnings easily go into accommodation costs. This makes life mentally stressful and frustrating.
Anyone looking from the outside is easily deceived by the glossy pictures, nice clothes, and lovely locations they see on social media. This set of people constitutes the 'God When Squad' - a popular faction in the Nigerian social media space.

Osahon George Osayimwen writes from Sheffield, United Kingdom.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by IjebuWarrior: 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2023
Dat U.K no be am at all. Many of my friends living there still dey ask me for assistance.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by YoungmcCoy56: 10:16pm On Aug 22, 2023
wassup Bro I disagree with the stingy part. i have one Oyibo Brit Woman she gave me the break down of living in the UK then i realised the only difference between living in the UK and Nigeria is the fact that you can get a menial job there which 80 percent of your salary go for tax and other bills only for you to be left with little, key word little amount. is it the little left that you want them to send back home?

haba Bro let's not be selfish please. forget the packaging and background this guys are struggling

12 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by LaSenior: 10:16pm On Aug 22, 2023
Uncle please tell us another story

So you didn't copy another thing from the whites na only their stingyness you dey copy
Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by BabaIbo: 10:16pm On Aug 22, 2023
I have a childhood friend there.

Both of us have been very good friends from day 1.
As the guy enter UK, na do the guy turn original aka gum.
Anyway, it was at the point of raising capital for my business, when I was contacting family and friends seeking for help, you know how it is when starting a new venture/business.
Some of those in Nigeria did it with ease, you see that UK own, na so so excuse the guy just dey give me before I vex leave am.
I even told him if I can send him money to help me get goods over there and send to Nigeria for me to sell it here.

That was how my dad's childhood friend whom they are supposed to travel out together before my dad decided to stay back because of ..., the man sent one wristwatch to my dad as gift, I look the watch come dey laff, well maybe it is the sender that replaced it sha.
Well, my dad helped him a lot even though he is outside the country and my dad is here.

So, na normal thing for them. 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

Maybe that was why I hated that country from the beginning. If not, I for don dey there teytey because the man once asked my dad to send his son but I told my dad I don't like that country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Vinnie2000(m): 10:17pm On Aug 22, 2023
seuncyrus:
The real problem is Nigerians and their silly entitlement mentality about someone else's income. How can you even call anyone stingy ffs.
Any amount anyone gives you from their hard earned sweat is a gift, you're in no way entitled to how the person spends their money .

Do you know how many hours he puts in daily to make ends meet ?
Do you know how much he pays for the tiny studio apartment he lives in ?
Do you know how much bills he has to pay after tax ?
Do you know how many people like you that sends him messages daily , and many he's even promised ?

There are too many silly Nigerians adults who are so entitled & self-centered and no different from their leaders.

I Just Laugh @such Pple.😏

A Man works his Head off clock the Clock and suddenly a Relative start Calling and Begging for Money. sad

When he doesn't Give, they say he is Stingy.😒

You, the Beggar, what have you been doing with ur Time? 😏😕

10 Likes

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by phemmyfour: 10:19pm On Aug 22, 2023
emmaodet:

grin grin
Honestly that no 6 is the real issue. Cheap food everywhere yet no purchasing power

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' by Oluwomonext212(m): 10:21pm On Aug 22, 2023
Life is hard for some people and it’s well understandable, but many had leverage on this to turn modern beggar. Cuz I still don’t understand how a person beg money from same friend every 5 to 7 days and expect them never to get tired of giving. Some people can beg chai….

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

China-Based Nigerian Man Crashes His G-Wagon SUV. Photos / Woman Kills 3 Children After Her Car Failed Brake In Abia State. Graphic Photos / Nigerians Who Left America And Moved Back To Nigeria, Do You Regret It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.