Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s - Music/Radio (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s (50991 Views)

Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s / Nigerian Highlife Songs Of The 1940s-1980s / The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by lifenajeje(m): 5:35pm On Aug 23, 2023
The list is inconclusive ...

Kenny ogungbe started out on ogbc 2..

Larry izamoje paid for his first quarter.

He later moved to Ray power ..

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Janyves(m): 5:40pm On Aug 23, 2023
This topic looks delicious.... I had to comment. I started radio listening very early, TV then was not that interesting in the early hours until #Clapper Board# surfaced. From Radio Nigeria(metro FM)- OGBC2- Ray Power- Rhythm 93.7- Cool Fm, Paramount Fm. Waoh....... Now I'm more of Classic FM, Smooth FM, ..........Waoh. Kudos to Science, radio wave discovery isn't so bad after all. shocked sad shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 7:01pm On Aug 23, 2023
henrimoto:
...."DANIEL AKPATA" ....dey cash out big time with Max FM. O... But I don't know if it's just me or what, there is this arrogance attitude with him on his Radio shows.

...I don't know if it's because he is a vocal person. He says things without minding how it would hurt you the listener. But DA - Daniel AKPATA na "real colo" guy.

There are many times people call into his Radio shows to attack him on his way presenting the shows. 😆 😆. But the guy na interesting person to listen to at times.
Everyone get their style in presenting.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by MD45: 8:46pm On Aug 23, 2023
lifenajeje:
The list is inconclusive ...

Kenny ogungbe started out on ogbc 2..

Larry izamoje paid for his first quarter.

He later moved to Ray power ..

Hmmm... OGBC2 was too hot 1992-1994. Give Kenny Ogungbe his respect. The jamz time na wire .... E no get who you be, there was sometin for every1. From Boyz II Men - End of The Road (every girlfriend collect that time), Soul 2 Soul - Back To Life (smash hit), Lisa Stanfield - Being Around The World, Naughty By Nature - OPP (fire), Linday Layton - Echo My Heart (anoda fire - girls wan die), Jade - Don't Walk Away, TLC, Salt "N" Peppa, Vanessa Williams, Milli Vanilli, Hi-Five, Colour Me Bad - All For Love, Arrested Development - People Everyday/Mr Wendall, Toni Braxton just dropped Breathe Again (red hot) and best of all US Dollar was between 10 to 22 Naira and Mercedes Benz 180 Tokunbo (flat boot) from Cotonou was N75,000.

3 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by naptu2: 7:30am On Aug 24, 2023
Funny monologue by Sunny Irabor in the 1980s (I can't remember if it was on RN1 or RN2).

There used to be a lot of soldiers, tanks and other armoured vehicles at Broadcasting House, Ikoyi. In fact there was a submachine gun nest beside on of the gates. This was because of all the coups that happened back then (coup plotters usually tried to get Broadcasting House in order to announce their coup and Dodan Barracks was on the other side of the road).

However, the soldiers sometimes harassed Radio Nigeria staff when they were bored. They harassed and even punished those that they thought were late to work.

Sunny Irabor showed up at the gate one day and a soldier accused him of being late. Mr Irabor explained to the soldier that he was not late, but the soldier insisted that he was late. Then he showed the soldier his watch and argued that he was not late, but the soldier shouted, "Shut up! Are you suffering from idiosyncrasy"? This stopped Sunny Irabor completely. How can a person suffer from idiosyncrasy?

(In 1999 President Obasanjo appointed Dr Eddie Iroh as the DG of the FRCN. Eddie Iroh had worked with the NTA in the 1970s and he had his own experience with soldiers. He said that his greatest pleasure came when he ordered the soldiers to pack all their equipment and leave Broadcasting House).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Beolly(m): 11:51am On Aug 24, 2023
divinebarz:
I habe forgotten one Sunday program on Raypower by Ambrose Somide and Baba gboin.
Mini Jojo

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Beolly(m): 11:55am On Aug 24, 2023
Pojomojo:
He started Sharing Life's issues at Rhythm FM, then moved to Inspiration FM 92.1fm and I think came back to Rhythm.
I think 🤔 Wana took over from him Charles B, before Rufai Oseni took over from Wana Ugbam ( She later went ahead to do a program with Airtel but didn't last long, I think she later relocated back to the West)
Wana relocated?
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Beolly(m): 12:05pm On Aug 24, 2023
spencekat:
You are correct.He was also part of Femi and the gang then.
Kelechi Nkoro
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Beolly(m): 12:08pm On Aug 24, 2023
adioolayi:
Sadly, politics have crept into the lives of our OAPs right now...

As a fact, some radio stations seems to be promoting ethnic agenda sef...

The biases in analysing today's Nigeria is something else...

Any station you tune to, especially the radio stations seems to have a favourite candidate in the last general elections and these has divided even their listeners.

Professionalism thrown into the bin!
I don't listen to radio stations anymore Long time. My focus changed, I learnt Nigeria info have now turned into something else.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Beolly(m): 12:10pm On Aug 24, 2023
mkoabiola:
The duo of ibiyemi olufowobi and sule sullazo ellams are stil in raypower.. 😂
Wow, IBK and Tito da fire really rocked back then.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Beolly(m): 12:14pm On Aug 24, 2023
Mecka:
If you want to the history of beat fm, come to me. I started listening to 99.9 in 2009 when they started broadcasting. It was olisa and oreka godis in morning. Toolz in the afternoon. Gbemi in evening. When I entered uni, I had a kchibo radio I used to listen to them on holidays and I got addicted to them. Till now, I'm still itching to meet toolz and gbemi. They infected me with their handover gist.
Tools and Gbemi are still with beat fm?

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Beolly(m): 12:31pm On Aug 24, 2023
FILEBE:

They say Radio is the theater of the mind . I got to start listening more to the radio while I was in secondary . After we are done with the family radio, I will turn on my battery powered radio and listen all through the night. I was warned several times of the dame the earpiece could do to the ear if I sleep with it, I couldn't listen because of the love I had for radio
@naptu2. You didn't mention shows like Cruise control , Metro Fm, hosted by Frank Edoho afterwhich Kamala took over.. it starts airing by 7 to 9. The music people always request for is so so soothing . Even the show's theme song, Sunset Island by Earl Klugh is one I still listen to many times to ease off.
Metro fm also has Doris Okafor that anchors the show, Rock City. I will like to see what Doris looks likes frankly , she was lovely with what she does .

I think it is Metro Fm that has this program called Straight from the heart .I will so so love to have this show back on air. It is a show where heart touching stori3s are read and backed up with music that pertains to whatever keywords that were being read at that time. It airs at night .

Rhythm fm with Shola Thomson. That guy with the fluid smooth voice.

I then got to like Cool fm. Early 2000s they came with weekly Top 40 . Presenters like Manny, Daddy freeze, Gbemi Olateju,

Night radios are the best! After the days work. You come back home, relax and listen to the radio while it soothens your soul. Even the conversations and talk shows are just top notch. Midnight radios are even better.

Honestly, I am not feeling today's radio as I use to. I couldn't go a day without radio then. Now, I try to listen to my car radio and all I hear aren't interesting or worthy of my attention. Only time these our modern radio stations get interesting are during the Elections.
Straight from the heart was aired on Raypower.

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Beolly(m): 12:35pm On Aug 24, 2023
priceactionx:
I am an old school and classic FM up until now is my favourite naija station but the list won't complete without mentioning late Charles Bruce Chukuma, also known as CHAZ B. I could not stop listening to his program until his death " sharing life issues with Chaz B".
The guy touched many lives.

Also my able stubborn friend, Diplomatic OPJ of wazobia fm. The guy for don finish tinubu if he has not been sacked by now... grin grin
Good old memories. Thank you naptu
Where's Diplomatic Opj now?
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by FILEBE(m): 12:41pm On Aug 24, 2023
Beolly:

Straight from the heart was aired on Raypower.

It isn't rhe same straight from the heart then. The one I am talking about airs at night and it begins with Bryan Adam's song of same title

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by btsnm(m): 8:47am On Sep 02, 2023
very educating
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 2:50am On Sep 09, 2023
Beolly:

Wana relocated?
I am not sure because she's no longer active on X app
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 2:50am On Sep 09, 2023
Beolly:
Kelechi Nkoro
The Italian Mafia

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 2:51am On Sep 09, 2023
This is not true, it still one of the best radio stations put there. A lot of brands fall over themselves just to advertise on their station. This is a statement of fact.
Beolly:

I don't listen to radio stations anymore Long time. My focus changed, I learnt Nigeria info have now turned into something else.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 2:53am On Sep 09, 2023
Beolly:

Where's Diplomatic Opj now?
Moved on like Lolo 1, Twitwi, Dwana and Nedu
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by emmykey0128(m): 2:12pm On Sep 21, 2023
My favorite was cool fm back then , I love the good morning Nigeria show with Dan foster with his American accent shouting ariyariya lol, followed by Iyke and Olisa, then the rick dees weekly top 40 every sat/sun, I practically leave the church early to make sure I am home before 12pm , 1-20 on sat and 21-40 on Sunday, mhen I miss this old days

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 5:08pm On Sep 23, 2023
emmykey0128:
My favorite was cool fm back then , I love the good morning Nigeria show with Dan foster with his American accent shouting ariyariya lol, followed by Iyke and Olisa, then the rick dees weekly top 40 every sat/sun, I practically leave the church early to make sure I am home before 12pm , 1-20 on sat and 21-40 on Sunday, mhen I miss this old days
Do you still listen to any radio station?
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by emmykey0128(m): 12:43am On Jan 30
Yeah but not as much as b4 , still listens to cool fm, soundcity fm, max fm and vybz 94.5.
Pojomojo:
Do you still listen to any radio station?

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 7:57am On Feb 06
emmykey0128:
Yeah but not as much as b4 , still listens to cool fm, soundcity fm, max fm and vybz 94.5.
Why not like before?
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by emmykey0128(m): 3:53am On Feb 07
Man must hustle now, then na parent dey provide but now adulthood don set in
Pojomojo:
Why not like before?

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 8:56am On Feb 08
emmykey0128:
Man must hustle now, then na parent dey provide but now adulthood don set in
Use an earpiece. An average android phone had a FM radio
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Lantean(m): 11:09am On Mar 23
Pojomojo:
Frank Edoho with Cruise Control then Kamal took over, the guy at Super sports Charles Anazodo too came from there

I always tuned in to Cruise Control when Frank Edoho ran the program. By the time Kamal took over I'd gotten busy and lost interest in Radio programmes. Say, does anyone know the title of Cruise Control theme song?

Damn! Can't get the song outta my head grin

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:57am On Mar 28
cheesy
Lantean:

I always tuned in to Cruise Control when Frank Edoho ran the program. By the time Kamal took over I'd gotten busy and lost interest in Radio programmes. Say, does anyone know the title of Cruise Control theme song?

Damn! Can't get the song outta my head grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Photos From Tonto Dikeh’s Video Shoot / Wizkid Wins First-Ever Grammy For ‘Brown Skin Girl’ / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.