Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,745 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s (51183 Views)

Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s / Nigerian Highlife Songs Of The 1940s-1980s / The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 5:45am On Aug 23, 2023
spencekat:
Wow!!!The man made sports news/program to be so interesting then.Femi and the gang. Chai,good old days
Femi actually started in Ibadan, a government own d radio station then before moving to Lagos with cool FM, When they saw what Larry Izamoje was doing, they decide to have Nigeria info (News, sports and entertainment) the gang then consist of Kelechi Nkoro(Italian Mafia), Kelechi, Olisa, Pheona, Bolarinwa Olajide, Emmanuel Etim, one other guy Okon that came from PH before that incident that happened to them that made the gang scattered and some of the gang nov d to bond FM before some relocated abroad.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 5:46am On Aug 23, 2023
divinebarz:
Thanks bro, I think Babatunde Raji went ro Brilla FM
Yes, and now the Media officer of Super Eagles

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Rotentik19: 5:49am On Aug 23, 2023
Pojomojo:
Yes they had
Teddy
One other guys that those comedy "Eagle"
Then a sportcaster Babajide Raji "top striker"
Akin Akindele(Bashorun of Alagbado)

4 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 5:50am On Aug 23, 2023
The italicized God bless you plenty.
sundid:
It's a known fact that every home in lagos then were addicted to the radio compared to present. I couldn't stop reading as you took me down to memory lane through the modern day of broadcasting with Ray power fm 100.5. I fell in love with Dennis the menace ogi, late Steve kadiri etc. But the list wouldn't be complete and unfair without the inclusion of keke and d1 who are the pioneer, arrow head of the present day music industry through effective media Proficiency. Every Friday's i made it a duty to listen to their countdown on radio, and later at night with ait jams. Rhythm fm later stole the show as I became over addicted listening to the station for close to 24hours daily. JAJ programme by 7pm is one thing I can't do without to make my day complete. I recall I have to buy this red radio with Big Torchlight to quench my appetite for this purpose.
Factly speaking, the reason for the loss of interest listening to radio stations is because there's no more professionalism on the part of the OAP. Unlike when we were growing up where most presenters are known to speak the Queen's English in the Nigerian way. But nowadays, presenters that has not even left the shore of this country would be forming American accent without a message to convey to listeners.
Keke has a masters degree and D1 ex commissioner in Ogun state has a CPA, you need to hear how they started with Raymond, you will they toiowd with him from the scratch. Keke has his own radio station Kennis Radio or so in Lagos. I attended one of their Easter Fiesta show way back, damn good old days
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 5:51am On Aug 23, 2023
Thank you 💕
Rotentik19:
Akin Akindele(Bashorun of Alagbado)
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Livesradio(m): 5:53am On Aug 23, 2023
Femi Daniel oblong. Presently the Femi in Femi and the gang in Nigeria info. Was also at OGBC 2 then

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 5:55am On Aug 23, 2023
Love800:
Who knows hw one can get into radio?
And what is their pay?
Passion, if you don't have passion forget it. Wemimo started from Channels TV but she had always had passion for radio. She left Channels TV to join Nigerian info
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 5:58am On Aug 23, 2023
Daniel Akpata that anchors whispers if the early morning worked in radio for 4yrs without any Bsc degree for FREE today, his cashing out, you have got to have passion.
Love800:
Ok. Tankz so much.
But what about if i go there and tell dem i want to volunteer and work for dem for free so as to be taken later or accepted as full staff after some time. Will dis tactic work?
Saraphina was in Delta state collecting 30k in a radio station when she made a post on Twitter, it was Emmanuel Etim that DM her and today she's in Norway after a meritorious service to Nigeria info, Chidi to was a student in Noun worked with Noun FM, moved to Nigeria info before relocating to USA.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 5:59am On Aug 23, 2023
priceactionx:
I am an old school and classic FM up until now is my favourite naija station but the list won't complete without mentioning late Charles Bruce Chukuma, also known as CHAZ B. I could not stop listening to his program until his death " sharing life" issues with Chaz B".
The guy touched many lives.

Also my able stubborn friend, Diplomatic OPJ of wazobia fm. The guy for don finish tinubu if he has not been sacked by now... grin grin
Good old memories. Thank you naptu
This guy, I love him die. He moved on after about 6yrs with them

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:02am On Aug 23, 2023
Check these stations
Classic
Wazobia
Nigeria info
Mainland FM
Afodot0022:
Rhythm 93.7, with their jingles like... Rhythm 93.7, the only station that get you started in the morning, keeps you going in the afternoon, keeps you going in the afternoon and stays with you all night..chai.. rhythm was the bomb then with their makosa jamz every Saturday evening.. omo those days really make sense . Not now that radio station don full airwaves that you can barely listen to a particular station for an hour before you keep changing and still not find anything that will insterest you.
Shola made the night show interesting in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by naptu2: 6:03am On Aug 23, 2023
O-lu-se-san E-ki-so-la

Jukebox. (The sound of glass breaking)

He started it on OGBC2 in the early 1990s. He then moved to RayPower to become the first general manager in 1994. He fell out with Raymond Dokpesi and moved to the US.

Olusesan Ekisola at 70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vux4jz5-Wa4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfhLTVY8YG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-uYD-CEkv4
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:06am On Aug 23, 2023
GBPUSD:
As I was still small then, let me hail those OAPs I sabi.

Gbenga Adeboye - Radio Lagos
Abbey Fagboro - Radio Lagos
Diplomatic OPJ - Wazobia FM
Auntlanda - Inspiration FM
Honeypot - Radio Continental
Daniel Akpata - Radio Continental
Joyce - Cool FM
Fatai Danwahab - Faaji FM
Dayo Amusan - Faaji FM

He moved from Radio Continental to Nigeria info to traffic radio then back to Max FM
Joyce is with Nigeria info, I love Thursdays confessions

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by EdiskyHarry: 6:09am On Aug 23, 2023
Very beautiful, historic and educative write up.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by naptu2: 6:11am On Aug 23, 2023
Pojomojo:
Sunny Irabo owns Ifm, your number 1 family radio

Erastus Akingbola set up Inspiration FM and he is still the chairman. Sunny Irabor was the CEO until recently. Azubike Osumili is the new CEO.

3 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:12am On Aug 23, 2023
FILEBE:

Yeah Star fm. With one comedy Saturday show.
I think the host was Sulaimon adegbenro or so. The consoligbadun man. He would speak in English, hausa, youruba and igbo.

I think It isn't Sulaimon, it is one name that has Akin in it
Yeah! Chai! Memories
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:12am On Aug 23, 2023
grin
GabeO:
@op so you dont know ebele yooo of cool fm as dan foster called her then
Yeah
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by MD45: 6:15am On Aug 23, 2023
Have we forgotten Akin Akindele of RayPower then. The comedian from AJ City that was pouched from RN2. He used to feature in a comedy programme then with the stage name Baba Lamidi at RN2

Also, the OB van concept Raypower popularized then.

I love Kenny Ogungbe's signature tune that start playing at 5pm.... "Swing low, sweet chariot, coming for to carry me home,.....

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:16am On Aug 23, 2023
Vinnie2000:

Write an Application to any Private Radio in your Town/Location.🙂

But you must have Read Mass communication or some Courses Relating to it. 🤔🙂

Their Pay is around 40k, 50k and 60k. smiley
This not true. Emmanuel Etim read engineering, Catherine Obiang read finance and came in as an Intern in cool FM & anchored the Night show, Ada of Nigeria info chat station did read Mass communication. It's passion for the job

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:20am On Aug 23, 2023
adioolayi:
Sadly, politics have crept into the lives of our OAPs right now...

As a fact, some radio stations seems to be promoting ethnic agenda sef...

The biases in analysing today's Nigeria is something else...

Any station you tune to, especially the radio stations seems to have a favourite candidate in the last general elections and these has divided even their listeners.

Professionalism thrown into the bin!
Not for stations like max FM, Nigeria info, Ufm, classic radio & Lagos talks
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by naptu2: 6:21am On Aug 23, 2023
Radio Nigeria 2 started at Broadcasting House, Ikoyi in the late 1970s, then it moved to Martin Street shortly afterwards. But the Martin Street studio got burnt in the early 1990s and it moved back to Broadcasting House where it's still located today.

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:22am On Aug 23, 2023
Kay25:
U no add eko fm DJ back in early 2000 DJ chali chi,DJ turbo d and ice water every Friday nite
Teddy came from eko fm
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by naptu2: 6:23am On Aug 23, 2023
naptu2:
Manny Onumonu used this song as his signature tune on Radioscope on Radio Nigeria 1. You knew that Manny was the host for the day once you heard this song.

Aaron Neville - Everybody Plays The Fool (1991).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaRGWgkh6cs
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:23am On Aug 23, 2023
Advancedman:

Before Rhythm there is star FM MITV Radio station 101.5MHZ
With the Man who made Local parable in English and playing jamz.
FFF
Femi Felix Fashina The Dean of old school.
Morning show and Wednesday night jamz
true sha
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:26am On Aug 23, 2023
Nonkit:
Radio Nigeria, Enugu (92.8 FM):

Aka Eze Aka
Flora Ojukwu
Olaedo Mbaiwe

Dream FM is still my favorite
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:27am On Aug 23, 2023
naptu2:

Erastus Akingbola set up Inspiration FM and he is still the chairman. Sunny Irabor was the CEO until recently. Azubike Osumil i is the new CEO.
Wow! Used to enjoy his newspaper review every morning.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by naptu2: 6:29am On Aug 23, 2023
Click "Watch on YouTube" to watch the videos.

naptu2:
Two legends in conversation

I have written a lot about one of these legends, so I'll focus more on the other legend in this post.

I woke up very early every morning between 1989 and 1993 in order to listen to the breakfast show on Radio Nigeria 1. RN 1 began transmitting at 5:30 every morning and they'd play the National Anthem, the pledge and then they'd have Christian and Islamic prayers. There'd be a brief news bulletin at 6am and then Radioscope woul begin.

Radioscope was hosted (on alternating days) by Manny Onumonu, Zakari Mohammed (Captain ZM) and Evelyn Russell. It was a very interesting show. Manny usually began his shows by playing "Everybody Plays The Fool" by Aron Neville.

It seemed like Manny vanished after 1993, but then he suddenly appeared on the BBC c1998. He hosted Network Africa, the BBC African Service's breakfast show, a few times for around month in 1998 and then he vanished again.

He has now reappeared on Channels TV and he has his own talk show on the station. Here he is, interviewing Bongos Ikuwe.

I have written about Bongos Ikuwe many times on this thread, so I don't need to write much again, except to say that he debunked the popular myth in the second video below.

There is a very weird story that Bongos Ikuwe and Mrs Maryam Babangida were in a relationship before she got married to General Ibrahim Babangida. Rumour mongers claim that his popular song, Maryama, was about Maryam Babangida.

I debunked that crazy rumour on a Nairaland thread a few years ago, but some people kept arguing with me. I provided a link to an interview of Bongos Ikuwe's daughter in which she said that her father only met Maryam Babangida once and that was many years after he wrote Maryama, but someone was still arguing with me, so I challenged him to provide proof that they were ever in a relationship and that's when he stopped arguing.

Of course Manny asked Bongos Ikuwe about the rumour. Mr Ikuwe said that he doesn't like talking about the issue, out of respect for the dead, but (when Manny pressed him) he said that he only met Maryam Babangida once. He then explained the origin of the song.

He said that a British man heard him singing on the radio and called into the station. The man said that he would have loved to be Bongos Ikuwe's promoter but he didn't have any money. However, he made an offer to Bongos Ikuwe. He said that he would cook for him every weekend and invite his British friends over and Bongos would sing for them. He told him that he would have to work very hard because his friends wouldn't want to hear the same songs every weekend, so he would need to write a lot of songs. Maryama was one of the songs that he wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykWPhdSu9UE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv-r_YTwaCA

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by naptu2: 6:30am On Aug 23, 2023
naptu2:
grin I think I need to pay more attention to Manny Onumonu's show. It's like he has interviewed everybody!

I've been searching for videos or pictures of Rosemary Anieze Adams for a long time. I eventually found a picture and posted it here, but that was not enough. You need to feel that woman's fire (it cannot be explained), so I went searching for a video and what do you know? Manny interviewed her sometime recently.

naptu2:
Although the interview was conducted by video call, you can still feel a bit of her fire.

The great Rosemary Anieze Adams worked at the P&T (forerunner of Nitel), Western Nigeria Television and Western Nigeria Radio and the NTA. She acted in the popular late 1970s/early 1980s drama serial "Adio Family" and what most people remember her for is that she was Miss Nigeria 1960 (Miss Independence).

She also later worked as a beauty consultant.

Manny interviewed her in August this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhYDhAYIFeg
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Odibembem: 6:43am On Aug 23, 2023
Eaglernorwich:
spot on sir
The OP post like everyone was in Lagos during that time,or everyone was listening to one radio station across the country.

Your take is wrong. The OP is telling his own story, no one will tell yours for u so tell us your own experience. I too didn't grow up in d West, till 1999 when I moved to Lagos after my NYSC, that's why I know of d Lagos Stations. I grew up in Edo and d Radio stations we got there was mainly ESBS Enugu 96.1 FM. So my favourite DJs were Mike Anene, Kelvin Ugwu, Luke Mgbor, Gboliwe Iwobi (GB) lady with a very sweet voice and some other sweet voice ladies. There was this "American Top 40" with Shadow Stevens they used to relay, I never missed it. Of course Pete Edochie used to give us Music from the Masters every Sunday, he was an encyclopedia in classical music from Handel to Beethoven to Bach etc.
Interesting how all of us in Esan axis of Edo were hooked to ESBS Enugu rather than EBS FM Benin. Benin also had their own like Senior Kings Ogbebor who presented Raggae on Tuesday nights, used to listen to him when I was in Uniben. But there was also this interesting program called Variety Show on EBS FM, it birthed great comedians like Friday Agbontaen, Thomas Ibhawah, Eliel Otote (Deputy in The Johnson). That was way way back

3 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 6:43am On Aug 23, 2023
divinebarz:
Sola Thompson, was trying to remember that name.
He changed the game for night shows, I recall when he announced he was leaving, ladies called in and was shedding tears.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by MICHEALADEX(m): 6:53am On Aug 23, 2023
The list is not complete without Jimi Disu

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by ShaqFu: 7:02am On Aug 23, 2023
Naptu2. Is it Joseph Akinyemi Johnson, or Jacob Akinyemi Johnson? (JAJ topgun to JAJ tha mecadon with his top seven jambs at seven on 93.7).
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Mom007(f): 7:23am On Aug 23, 2023
Wotowotoman:

These days, them born anybody well to drop their daughter with security men wey wear singlet and boxers ooo

Hahahahahaaaa.....
You no go try am na... well, even then, I would just go straight to the girls hostel lounge and wait till day breaks abit. The school was mixed day and boarding.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Wizkid Wins First-Ever Grammy For ‘Brown Skin Girl’ / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category / Top 5 Most Underrated Artist In Nigeria (opinion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.