Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s - Music/Radio (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s (50984 Views)

Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s / Nigerian Highlife Songs Of The 1940s-1980s / The Evolution Of Hip Hop Music In Nigeria: The '80s And Early 90s. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 23, 2023
Lilimax:
I tell you! That Diplomatic OPJ is very controversial in his ways. I like him so just that he became very proud which led to his downfall.
Yes na, he was too proud, and i knew if unchecked, he would have caused them to shut that station down. I learnt that they paid fines upon fine because of his careless talks with his co-presenter, twi twi. He also forgot that the lebanese owner he was rebelling against is an ally of APC topshots. They will bungle him out easily and spoil his career. Anyway, his program always full of fun.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by NaijaNaWaa: 7:54am On Aug 23, 2023
Lanre Anjola, Angie Baby, of OGBC 2... where are they now?
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by latestsunny(m): 8:13am On Aug 23, 2023
@op, where is Gbenga Adeboye oko Omolara on your list
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Love800(m): 8:17am On Aug 23, 2023
What is saraphina and chidi doing abroad?Tankz so much
Pojomojo:
Daniel Akpata that anchors whispers if the early morning worked in radio for 4yrs without any Bsc degree for FREE today, his cashing out, you have got to have passion. Saraphina was in Delta state collecting 30k in a radio station when she made a post on Twitter, it was Emmanuel Etim that DM her and today she's in Norway after a meritorious service to Nigeria info, Chidi to was a student in Noun worked with Noun FM, moved to Nigeria info before relocating to USA.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by naptu2: 8:42am On Aug 23, 2023
ShaqFu:
Naptu2. Is it Joseph Akinyemi Johnson, or Jacob Akinyemi Johnson? (JAJ topgun to JAJ tha mecadon with his top seven jambs at seven on 93.7).

Oh, sorry, it's Jacob. I don't even know how I wrote Joseph.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by azpekuliar: 8:47am On Aug 23, 2023
Pojomojo:
Passion, if you don't have passion forget it. Wemimo started from Channels TV but she had always had passion for radio. She left Channels TV to join Nigerian info

She don comot for Nigeria Info now oo. She is no longer in radio.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by azpekuliar: 8:49am On Aug 23, 2023
starstaz:
Naptu is the Egbon encyclopedia in Media space. Well grounded. The real OGeeee.

Nairaland OG! or better still the Nairaland JAJ cheesy

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Kuramushe(m): 8:58am On Aug 23, 2023
naptu2:
Just think of the stars that worked at Radio Nigeria. Can you imagine that Ernest Okonkwo, Ishola Folorunsho, John Chukwu, Sonny Irabor, Tony Ibegbuna (for me this was the voice of RN2 when they started), Joseph Akinyemi Johnson (J.A.J), Boniface Onogwu, Vin-Martin Ilo, Momoh Kubanje, Willy Egbe, Ohi Alegbe, Jones Usen, Ihria Enakhimio, Aloma Nwogbe, Godwin Asuquo, Ndidi Osaka, Femi Sowoolu, Phil Ushie, Jim Lawson Maduike, Femi Sowoolu, Zachary Mohamed (Captain ZM), Manny Onumonu, Evelyn Russell, Veronica Osawere, Emeka Odikpo and so on and so forth once worked there? Femi OSHODI aka Freaky Fred, Ron Ekundayo, Cordelia Okpe. On Ogbc2 listening Alex Conde music presentation was extremely satisfying.

And before them there was Ikenna Ndaguba, Christopher Kolade and Princess Banke Ademola.

People will die to hear these people's voices again! Radio Nigeria can't say that they don't have recordings of them (that would be criminal). Why don't they release these recordings, make them public and make some money from them??
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by adioolayi(m): 9:11am On Aug 23, 2023
Pojomojo:
Not for stations like max FM, Nigeria info, Ufm, classic radio & Lagos talks

Oh ... please!
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 9:27am On Aug 23, 2023
shocked
adioolayi:

Oh ... please!
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Iziquiel(m): 9:27am On Aug 23, 2023
How time flies! I started with RayPower in the late 90s before I discovered CoolFm and subsequently Rythm Fm in the early 2000s and became addicted to Radio. Though, CoolFm was my most favorite.

I remember going to bed every night with my Transistor Radio very close to my head with the volume almost completely turned off because I didn't want my parent to hear the sound of music at night. And would shuffle between CoolFm and Rythm Fm at night. Lol

Life was fun and easy in those days as I looked forward to different shows on radio especially the Sunday night request show on CoolFm, it was the best for me.

RIP Dan Foster.

Thanks Op for bringing back beautiful memories.

2 Likes

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 9:27am On Aug 23, 2023
azpekuliar:

She don come for Nigeria Info now oo. She is no longer in radio.
I am aware.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 9:30am On Aug 23, 2023
Love800:
What is saraphina and chidi doing abroad?Tankz so much
They left just the way Sandra Ezekwesili left Nigeria info

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Toeyoursee: 9:43am On Aug 23, 2023
shocked
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Iziquiel(m): 9:56am On Aug 23, 2023
sundid:
It's a known fact that every home in lagos then were addicted to the radio compared to present. I couldn't stop reading as you took me down to memory lane through the modern day of broadcasting with Ray power fm 100.5. I fell in love with Dennis the menace ogi, late Steve kadiri etc. But the list wouldn't be complete and unfair without the inclusion of keke and d1 who are the pioneer, arrow head of the present day music industry through effective media Proficiency. Every Friday's i made it a duty to listen to their countdown on radio, and later at night with ait jams. Rhythm fm later stole the show as I became over addicted listening to the station for close to 24hours daily. JAJ programme by 7pm is one thing I can't do without to make my day complete. I recall I have to buy this red radio with Big Torchlight to quench my appetite for this purpose.
Factly speaking, the reason for the loss of interest listening to radio stations is because there's no more professionalism on the part of the OAP. Unlike when we were growing up where most presenters are known to speak the Queen's English in the Nigerian way. But nowadays, presenters that has not even left the shore of this country would be forming American accent without a message to convey to listeners.

Boss your last paragraph is the same reason I lost interest listening to Radio. I no dey understand English these newbies dey speak. Their phonetics dey very irritating.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by adioolayi(m): 9:58am On Aug 23, 2023
Pojomojo:
shocked

For me, the only balanced OAP in that station is Sheriff Quadri

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Love800(m): 10:14am On Aug 23, 2023
Are they doing radio there also?
Pojomojo:
They left just the way Sandra Ezekwesili left Nigeria info

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by sko(m): 10:26am On Aug 23, 2023
[quote author=naptu2 post=125291336][/quote]
Finally I heard this song again. Wow
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by henrimoto(m): 10:47am On Aug 23, 2023
azpekuliar:

Nairaland OG! or better still the Nairaland JAJ cheesy
@Naptu2. Na real OG.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by henrimoto(m): 10:51am On Aug 23, 2023
Iziquiel:

Boss your last paragraph is the same reason I lost interest listening to Radio. I no dey understand English these newbies dey speak. Their phonetics dey very irritating.
😆😆😆😆 I dey tell you!!! No be only you, we plenty. This was one reason wazobia Fm of the days of YAW!!! captured a lot of listeners in Lagos and beyond.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 10:53am On Aug 23, 2023
Love800:
Are they doing radio there also?
Honestly,I don't know.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Pojomojo: 10:53am On Aug 23, 2023
undecided
adioolayi:

For me, the only balanced OAP in that station is Sheriff Quadri
Jimi Disu is not balanced
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by henrimoto(m): 10:55am On Aug 23, 2023
Iziquiel:
How time flies! I started with RayPower in the late 90s before I discovered CoolFm and subsequently Rythm Fm in the early 2000s and became addicted to Radio. Though, CoolFm was my most favorite.

I remember going to bed every night with my Transistor Radio very close to my head with the volume almost completely turned off because I didn't want my parent to hear the sound of music at night. And would shuffle between CoolFm and Rythm Fm at night. Lol

Life was fun and easy in those days as I looked forward to different shows on radio especially the Sunday night request show on CoolFm, it was the best for me.

RIP Dan Foster.

Thanks Op for bringing back beautiful memories.
Yes!!!! I also was a radio addict too. Certain Radio Stations then make living in Lagos Fun.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Love800(m): 11:05am On Aug 23, 2023
I really appreciate. Tankz.
Honestly, my dream is to do radio. Cos i love to talk in a closed space and not in the open. And the radio is the only avenue dat can give me dat opportuinity. Am working strongly towards it so as to achieve my dream. Tankz so much
Pojomojo:
Honestly,I don't know.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by adioolayi(m): 11:09am On Aug 23, 2023
Pojomojo:
undecidedJimi Disu is not balanced

grin cheesy grin cheesy

Of course you know the veteran journalist is not.

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by henrimoto(m): 11:16am On Aug 23, 2023
Pojomojo:
grin, yeah this brings back nostalgic feelings.
...Sis., listening to Radio Stations can keep me indoors for "48" hrs, specially , Lagos FM stations . Ah! Life!

Presently, I'm out of Lagos. Where I dey, 10:30 Pm, there radio stations don close. E gbami ke! Which kind Adugbo be this ? 😆 😆 😆

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by henrimoto(m): 11:30am On Aug 23, 2023
Pojomojo:
Femi actually started in Ibadan, a government own d radio station then before moving to Lagos with cool FM, When they saw what Larry Izamoje was doing, they decide to have Nigeria info (News, sports and entertainment) the gang then consist of Kelechi Nkoro(Italian Mafia), Kelechi, Olisa, Pheona, Bolarinwa Olajide, Emmanuel Etim, one other guy Okon that came from PH before that incident that happened to them that made the gang scattered and some of the gang nov d to bond FM before some relocated abroad.
...Are they not the same gang on MAX Fm ?

1 Like

Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by henrimoto(m): 11:49am On Aug 23, 2023
Odibembem:

Your take is wrong. The OP is telling his own story, no one will tell yours for u so tell us your own experience. I too didn't grow up in d West, till 1999 when I moved to Lagos after my NYSC, that's why I know of d Lagos Stations. I grew up in Edo and d Radio stations we got there was mainly ESBS Enugu 96.1 FM. So my favourite DJs were Mike Anene, Kelvin Ugwu, Luke Mgbor, Gboliwe Iwobi (GB) lady with a very sweet voice and some other sweet voice ladies. There was this "American Top 40" with Shadow Stevens they used to relay, I never missed it.
Of course Pete Edochie used to give us Music from the Masters every Sunday, he was an encyclopedia in classical music from Handel to Beethoven to Bach etc.

Interesting how all of us in Esan axis of Edo were hooked to ESBS Enugu rather than EBS FM Benin. Benin also had their own like Senior Kings Ogbebor who presented Raggae on Tuesday nights, used to listen to him when I was in Uniben. But there was also this interesting program called Variety Show on EBS FM, it birthed great comedians like Friday Agbontaen, Thomas Ibhawah, Eliel Otote (Deputy in The Johnson). That was way way back
at the bolded....Hmnnn. interesting to know.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by henrimoto(m): 11:55am On Aug 23, 2023
oniigo:
Steve Kadiri of a blessed memory. He passed on 1999 or 2000.
Zakari Muhammad again,
Nice memories!!!
Are you sure of that date ?
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by ordovicianonly(f): 12:19pm On Aug 23, 2023
Wow this thread reminded me of my childhood memories,the good old days laughs . Radio was so fun with lots of entertaining,educative & informative programs. Gbedu wey dey burst brains 🤣 with badass Oaps
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Ideegee(m): 12:21pm On Aug 23, 2023
You forgot to include on Maxwell guy back then on Ray power. I've forgotten his full name.
Re: FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s by Adkool: 12:23pm On Aug 23, 2023
That's great memory of sane presentation of Nigerian best. But it wouldn't be complete if Masters from Star F.M 101.5 weren't mentioned.

Late Femi Fashina.
Grand Master Dee
Grand Master Lee
D.J Kwame
D J Xmax my very good friend and head of presentation for many years of Star F.M, when Nigerian content was being promoted.
Akin Akindele, very jovial and father of comedy.
M.C Murphy (formerly of OGBC 2, like many of the above quoted great presenters.)
And not to forget Alariwo of Africa.
And a lot of others
They deserved to be mentioned as the very booming Nigerian music industry was their legacy. They built it while Raypower and Rhythm were playing only foreign content only. Ask 2-face, Tony Tetuila, Baba Frayo and many others.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Photos From Tonto Dikeh’s Video Shoot / Wizkid Wins First-Ever Grammy For ‘Brown Skin Girl’ / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.