Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,583 members, 7,837,199 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark (32973 Views)

The Day Gen Murtala Muhammed Was Assassinated In Lagos / Adesina Dismisses Accusations Against Gowon / Donald Duke Blasts Buhari For Appointing Yusuf Magaji Bichi As New DG SSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by MamaletASO: 8:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
[b]Muhammed muritala may have his own flaws..but I think if the Igbos haven't venture into coup plotting in 1966 all this hatred in Nigeria wouldn't have existed..

As if that was not enough, they decided to wage WAR against Nigeria by calling themselves Biafra.

They thought they can conquer Nigerian..but BIAFRA failed..
Gowon was magnanimous in trying to ensure Nigeria became one again using d 3R's.

Muritala may have acted stoopidly but that's human (when he said Odoh is a Biafran).

Igbos are too greedy and lack contentment. That's why u see we Igbo girls can't just settle with a poor man.
We love money and flashy things pass out lives. Greed made us to be hated. We, igbos, can kill our brothers for money..it's not a big deal to us...

But going forward:
1. I will advice all those past rulers (because dey are not leaders) that are still alive to find a way to reveal all the hidden secrets...
2. History shld be taught in various schools in Nigeria. Let them know the level of hatred or love towards each other.
3. The report of National confab under Jonathan govt should be adopted and implemented.
4. All regions/ state should be allow to use their resources to build their region and abolish the issue of federal allocation. because u can't be robbing peter to pay Paul.. all state manage your God given resources.

5. Federal Character Commission is a scam and shld be abolished.

6. If all these can't be done..then allow each tribe or language or region to go their ways as an independent Nation/Republic.

Think of it:
Since Cyprus is a country then each state in Nigeria can be a Country on its own.[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Lanre1st(m): 8:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
Penguin2:

He wrote the book to tell the truth and preserve history as against the distorted history half truths that you lots try to push.

Do you have a problem with that?

You are angry a sage is disproving all the lies you have been enforcing for years?

Yes, there is concern to that. With alot of challenges Nigeria is facing right now, ranging from Inflation, Naira scrambled to high price of petrol, so only history that can fuel ethnic division is what his experience can offer. US have a larger population and more ethnicity than Nigeria but way forward is their focal point never point blame to a tribe.

I expect a supposed experience elderly stateman to have pool of solutions to suggest for problems solving in the country.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Vinnie2000(m): 8:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
Irony1:

See nobody is disputing this account stop being diversionary. It is the same way they will also give an account of how Dimka laid ambush for Muritala Mohammed at Bank Road Ikoyi. The crux of the matter is that there were more igbos among the participants but they we also Yorubas, ijaw and northerners among the participants let me list the names of the Non-igbos.

Major Adewale Ademoyega - Yoruba
Capt G. S Adeleke - Yoruba
Lt Fola Oyewole - Yoruba
Sergent Adeleke (not related to the captain) - Yoruba
Lt Waribor- Niger Delta Ijaw
Lt Tom Kpera - Northern region

So how in God's name was this a igbo coup if you have a sizeable number of non igbo participants. Let me also burst your bubble the idea of the coup was conceived by two officers Major Ademoyega and Major Ifeajuna an igbo and a Yoruba.

Don't Waste your Time on them.๐Ÿ˜•

The TRIBALISM and HATRED for Igbos that lives in their Hearts won't make them accept anything. ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ™

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by anungangampu: 8:58pm On Aug 26, 2023
theophorus:
History... They are all writing whatever 'lie' and claim its their 'Autobiography'.

They don't mind telling a lie to make a needless sale.

Sir, you mean Coup was planned against Gowon because He appointed someone from a particular region as GM of NNPC?

Was Agriculture not the mainstay of our Economy then? Was NNPC the main things then?

Sir, am not saying it's a lie ooo but this can never be True.
Go to his house and ask him. He just said what broke the camels back. Even after 5yrs after the war, Nigerians are watching their back. 60yrs after the war Nigerians are still watching their back like last Election in Lagos.
The disease of this country is kleptomaics reaching conclusion easily againt an Igbo influence while the suffering masses cheer their leaders for making the right decision but when the leaders gather, all they do is "LOOT". They also need Igbo leaders who can loot like them.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Vinnie2000(m): 9:00pm On Aug 26, 2023
Lanre1st:

Yes, there is concern to that. With alot of challenges Nigeria is facing right now, ranging from Inflation, Naira scrambled to high price of petrol, so only history that can fuel ethnic division is what his experience can offer. US have a larger population and more ethnicity than Nigeria but way forward is their focal point never point blame to a tribe.

I expect a supposed experience elderly stateman to have pool of solutions to suggest for problems solving in the country

How can you RENOVATE your House Properly, if you don't Tackle some issues on Its Foundation? ๐Ÿ˜ sad

How can Nigeria MOVE FORWARD when some Regions/Tribes have Decided to PERSECUTE AND HOUND other Tribes? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜•

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Lanre1st(m): 9:04pm On Aug 26, 2023
Irony1:

See nobody is disputing this account stop being diversionary. It is the same way they will also give an account of how Dimka laid ambush for Muritala Mohammed at Bank Road Ikoyi. The crux of the matter is that there were more igbos among the participants but they we also Yorubas, ijaw and northerners among the participants let me list the names of the Non-igbos.

Major Adewale Ademoyega - Yoruba
Capt G. S Adeleke - Yoruba
Lt Fola Oyewole - Yoruba
Sergent Adeleke (not related to the captain) - Yoruba
Lt Waribor- Niger Delta Ijaw
Lt Tom Kpera - Northern region

So how in God's name was this an igbo coup, if you have a sizeable number of non igbo participants? Let me also burst your bubble the idea of the coup was conceived by two officers Major Ademoyega and Major Ifeajuna an igbo and a Yoruba.

Why can't you name the Igbo names involved in the coup.
Being a igbo coup does not mean there won't be few other tribes involved.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by aswani(m): 9:05pm On Aug 26, 2023
pachigo001:
who told you that no Igbo man died in January 15 1966 coup no de allow media deceive you

No igbรณ CIVILIAN in either the Federal or Eastern regional government were killed. Happy fir you to list the names.

Not that I want anyone to die รณ but if you put that fact against a backdrop of those that died, a serious problem caused by a basketmout coup plotter writing a cheque they eventually couldn't cash.

Even if they had put the civilian leaders under house arrest and released them later, it would have been palatable, but to kill like they did and spare Igbos, a problem and a big one at that.

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by FreeStuffsNG: 9:05pm On Aug 26, 2023
Penguin2:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/murtala-mohammed-backed-coup-against-gowon-for-appointing-igbo-man-nnpc-gm-clark/amp/
Sound like gossips and it's unfortunate that the man , Gen Murtala Mohammed, is not alive to give his own side of this likely revisionism.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by dragunov: 9:05pm On Aug 26, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
That was a long & vital eyewitness account. Dis wan no be say dem say.

But i wonder why he's making it public @ this point in time?

He doesn't want to go to his grave with the information.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Yomit71(m): 9:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
Irony1:

How can they not be trusted. You cannot even explain yourself
Explain myself to who? Ipob terrorist
Waka

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Irony1: 9:07pm On Aug 26, 2023
Yomit71:

Explain myself to who? Ipob terrorist
Waka

Oga explain naaa shebi Buhari is from BH infested area but you trusted him to be president, so explain how igbos cannot be trusted but a known terrorist sympathiser(Attack on BH is an attack on the north)was made president for 8 years.

3 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Irony1: 9:09pm On Aug 26, 2023
Lanre1st:

Why can't you name the Igbo names involved in the coup.
Being a igbo coup does not mean there won't be few other tribes involved.

You are still missing the point, if there is a coup today in Nigeria, by virtue of the tribal composition of the army officer corps, you know the tribe that will have more officers participating. Now cast your mind back to the 60s the officer Corps was 75% igbo, so definitely you will see more igbos as participants, but it doesn't mean that it is an igbo coup. Sometimes we need to be critical and sensible in rationalising things.

3 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by mightyhaze: 9:20pm On Aug 26, 2023
pachigo001:
why is it anytime they mentioned injustice against ndi igbo wailers here will start mentioning the coup that happened more than 50 years ago that were planed by both Igbo Yoruba and Hausa just that some Igbo leaders were smart enough to hear the news on time and run for their life
col. Unaegbe Arthur lost his life in that coup..a senior military leader at that time of Igbo origin

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by TGLINKS(m): 9:20pm On Aug 26, 2023
Oga no d lie ur hand d Dia ur fully involved stop dis ur fricky Fricky cry confess to d glory of truth tnx
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Lanre1st(m): 9:31pm On Aug 26, 2023
Vinnie2000:

How can you RENOVATE your House Properly, if you don't Tackle some issues on Its Foundation? ๐Ÿ˜ sad

How can Nigeria MOVE FORWARD when some Regions/Tribes have Decided to PERSECUTE AND HOUND other Tribes? ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜•

So to renovate your house it is foundation you will start digging, which kind of renovation is that? renovation refers to restoring something to a good working condition not destroying.

By gone is by gone, most of us are not there when they were deciding, even if we were, were Yoruba involved decide for their Tribes or their own self. How Tinubu be in Aso-rock put food on my table, do Yoruba pump price different from other. The leaders do not care about the followers but theirs self if I may ask, orji Kalu, uzodima, chimaroke and the likes support BAT is for their own interest not igbo while Tinubu is also in Aso-rock to fulfilled his own interest not Yorubas. Then what is the reason for Clark story
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by AriyaTV: 9:32pm On Aug 26, 2023
sirblend:
Watch how APC supporters will start blaming the รŽGBO.

Which tribe plan the first coup in Nigeria?
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Coldie(m): 9:34pm On Aug 26, 2023
Racoon:
Now hear it. The only thing that can unit them together to utter hatred is the Igbo man. Now have the country progressed with their conspiracies over the years? Absolutely no!
Our people when we go ever get sense as igbos. When, y are we so emotional to be easily drawn into wars that does not concern us.

This is purely a north vs ijaw war but we use our hand draw ourselves enter am because them mention igbos inside.

When we go ever wise up

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by juman(m): 9:35pm On Aug 26, 2023
โ€œHe advised me not to return home as soldiers were posted to surround my house from the moment the coup happened. He also said that the ADC to Gen. Gowon, Col. Wilbert who was sent by Gen. Gowon to bring a certain briefcase to Kampala was detained in Nigeria and he was shocked and surprised that Col. Joe Garba, a relation of Gen. Gowon and close confidant and Head of the Brigade of Guards was the one who made the announcement that Gowonโ€™s government had been overthrown for corruption, inefficiency and refusal to hand over to civilians.

Why he didnt write why Col. Joe Garba supported the coup?
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Vinnie2000(m): 9:36pm On Aug 26, 2023
Lanre1st:

So to renovate your house it is foundation you will start digging, which kind of renovation is that? [B]renovation[/B] refers to restoring something to a good working condition not destroying. By gone is by gone, most of us are not there when they were deciding, even if we were, were Yoruba involved decide for their Tribes or their own self. How Tinubu be in Aso-rock out food on my table, do Yoruba pump price different from other. The leaders don't care about the followers but theirs elf if I may ask, orji Kalu, uzodima, chimaroke and the likes support BAT for their own interest not igbo while Tinubu is also in Aso-rock to fulfilled his own interest not Yorubas. Then why the reason for Clark story

You Are Not saying Anything MEANINGFUL.๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ™

Goan Sleep, Plz. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿ˜
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by frog12: 9:38pm On Aug 26, 2023
what's your problem? grin
let the man speak

jrusky:
Wallahi all these old men what is there problem? So Clark can read between the two line the country current sutuation to desist from any statement that can rise tribal tension and ethnic hatred deeper for God sake?

What is the matter with all these men. Murtala and Gowon is that the problem Nigeria facing right now?

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by juman(m): 9:40pm On Aug 26, 2023
Muhammed muritala was right.
A man who was "responsible for the destruction of the refinery in Port Harcourt" was not good as head of NNPC.
He was security risk.

โ€œA member of the Council then asked why Odoh was regarded as a security risk to which Murtala Muhammed responded that he was an Igbo man who identified himself as Biafran during the civil war and was responsible for the destruction of the refinery in Port Harcourt. Some of us felt that statement was irresponsible and unpatriotic, considering the fact that Gen. Yakubu Gowon had made an effort to bring the country together after the civil war. It was now five years post civil war.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Vinnie2000(m): 9:40pm On Aug 26, 2023
Coldie:

Our people when we go ever get sense as igbos. When, y are we so emotional to be easily drawn into wars that does not concern us.

This is purely a north vs ijaw war but we use our hand draw ourselves enter am because them mention igbos inside.

When we go ever wise up

Mr Coldie, you better look @things Properly.๐Ÿ˜

Chief E.K. Clark is bringing out the MARGINALIZATION of Igbos, open for all to see,
because it is Affecting Nigera's Growth.๐Ÿ˜•

Nothing concerns we Ijaws, here.๐Ÿ™

You IGBOS Should be Happy with him, for this Expose.๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ™‚
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by joefelin2345: 9:41pm On Aug 26, 2023
aswani:

Igbo leaders were tipped off, nothing smart about it, not one civilian igbรณ leader died whilst other regions lost people to a hail of bullets. People that were not tried or found guilty of any offence.

The name of the person that tipped Zik off can be found by doing a search on Google.

Let's not kid ourselves, that was not a good look at all that majority Igbo officers took over power violently from a government that had a good amount of Igbo people serving in it and none of whom were killed while other regions suffered casualties.

That was always going to be seen as 1 nil to the Igbo's and it was. Yorรนbรก's didn't much like Akintola anyway but you kill both Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa and not sacrifice one of yours?
I quite agreed with you that the Yoruba didn't like Akintola as such but no one have been able to tell me his other offence apart from having a different thought & ideology from that of Awolowo who incidentally served as Finance Commissioner under Gowon the same position that he rejected under the Tafawa Balewa proposed Govt of National Unity being taunted after the 1959 General election which none of the three major Political Party then won clearly.

3 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Abuventure: 9:42pm On Aug 26, 2023
Rostikol:

ABEG SHUT UP, NARCISSIST.

YOU ARE USELESS EVEN TO YOURSELVES.

IF YOU ARE SUCH GREAT MAGICIANS, WHY HAVE 30 MILLION OF YOU FLED THE EAST TO LIVE IN THE NORTH AND WEST?

AND YOUR REGION HAS BEEN LEFT TO FARMERS AND TERRORISTS?

USELESS, DEPENDENT SET OF PEOPLE FEELING FUNKY.

WITHOUT THE REST OF NIGERIA HOUSING YOU, YOU WOULD STARVE IN YOUR
stupidity at it's peak just know that an average Igbo man lives better than your entire household

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Penguin2: 9:43pm On Aug 26, 2023
Lanre1st:

I expect a supposed experience elderly stateman to have pool of solutions to suggest for problems solving in the country.
Does the US have a state policy of excluding a particular tribe from power and making sure nothing works in their region?

Your problem is that you kneel on peopleโ€™s neck and expect them never to complain but carry on like nothing happened โ€œfor the interest of the nation.โ€

Absolute balderdash!

Until Nigeria is ready to treat every Nigerian as equal, peace will continually elude her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by juman(m): 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2023
See comments.
I laugh. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Igbos that cannot build their states but run to other regions in drove, see them running their mouths.
They should go back and build their states.

3 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Penguin2: 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2023
XXCASH:

I'm not sure how old you are but I have been around for more than 4 and 1/2 decades. So please dont ask me silly questions
And that makes you more knowledgeable of, and an authority in, history than Pa Edwin Clark that has been around for more than 8 decades and participated in the making of the history you have been taught?
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Cocolatti(m): 9:46pm On Aug 26, 2023
theophorus:
History... They are all writing whatever 'lie' and claim its their 'Autobiography'.

They don't mind telling a lie to make a needless sale.

Sir, you mean Coup was planned against Gowon because He appointed someone from a particular region as GM of NNPC?

Was Agriculture not the mainstay of our Economy then? Was NNPC the main things then?

Sir, am not saying it's a lie ooo but this can never be True.
The 70's during Gen. Gowons Govt. Was when we had the "Oil Boom". That was when they started neglecting Agriculture because of the huge amount of money Nigeria was making from oil exports. Whether he's wrong or right about the reason for coup I can't say, but one thing is sure the coup took place during the Oil Boom.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by juman(m): 9:47pm On Aug 26, 2023
The writer did half job.
He showed his hatred for Murtala.

So what was reason why Ty Danjuma support the coup?
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Penguin2: 9:47pm On Aug 26, 2023
Okwyjesus:

Where can l get a copy
Itโ€™s not been long the book was released. Tarry a little while, the book will soon be in all bookshops.

Itโ€™s worth reading so one can learn the right history as against the distort bullshit from Agbado Press.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:49pm On Aug 26, 2023
Nefort:

Do you actually know anything about the young boy's attitude and the potential to attract deadly envy from his friends?

If Igbos are the only ones hated in Nigeria then there must be something wrong with you guys and they way you behave that attracts the hatred. Yorubas excel as well. So why are Yorubas not hated as much?

Because North and West are in alliance to hate them. They are in a pact to hate them permanently and indefinitely.

The hatred is so much that even if they do a great good it Would not make any difference,they will still be hated much more as it will be intensified. We see it in public and private sector offices every blessed day.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Penguin2: 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2023
Nefort:

Do you actually know anything about the young boy's attitude and the potential to attract deadly envy from his friends?

If Igbos are the only ones hated in Nigeria then there must be something wrong with you guys and they way you behave that attracts the hatred. Yorubas excel as well. So why are Yorubas not hated as much?
Yorubas excel tooโ€ฆ

But the difference is that while the Igbo man is not threatened by the Yoruba manโ€™s success, the Yoruba is always so insecure whenever he sees the Igbo man progressing; hence the envy.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Caption This Photo Of Buhari, Fashola And Tinubu / War On Niger Republic Will Be War On Northern Nigeria - Usman Yusuf / KAI Officials & Soldiers Clash In Ojuelegba, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.