Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,454 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark (32855 Views)

The Day Gen Murtala Muhammed Was Assassinated In Lagos / Adesina Dismisses Accusations Against Gowon / Donald Duke Blasts Buhari For Appointing Yusuf Magaji Bichi As New DG SSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by CJStarz: 7:18pm On Aug 26, 2023
An aside: The way one Mod just banned me for weeks here just for what I consider a harmless comment dey make me laugh but at the same time sad. I dey laff because say his or her power no pass to ban person anyhow here, afterall, power intoxicates,but sad sake ofsay d same mod go close im eye to all the hate speeches and insults against the Igbos here, because say those wey dey perpetrate the act na from im tribe or something.
Una free to ban me again o. If you guys adhere strictly to enforcing the Rules here , there'd be some level of sanity in this forumn,but no, this platform is so filled with people who abuse, insult and curse people anyhow and yet they go Scot free.
You mods should be unbiased when bringing down the hammer.

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by GreenCovering: 7:19pm On Aug 26, 2023
I don't understand the logic elder states man Edwin Clark is trying to make me believe that Engr Odoh who was reportedly responsible for the destruction of the PortHarcourt refinery and which Gen. Murtala Muhammed clearly alluded to be rewarded with becoming NNPC MD in the spirit of welcoming back after 5 years. It is like saying that we should make Chinasa Michael commissioner for transportation after 5 years for torching the BRT buses in Lagos, in the spirit of maintaining inclusion. I mean couldn't someone from the same region without a history of violence be considered for that position.

Based on this elder states man Edwin Clark is not making sense at all. He should have been acting more responsibly than trying to deepen sentiments.

sad

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by richie240: 7:20pm On Aug 26, 2023
Hehehehehe......see kwenshion.
Ya papa don feed u lie tey-tey nwokem.
grin grin
Dshocker:

It seems your government teacher in school wasn't qualified to teach history.

How was an igbo man behind the coup?
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Curious346: 7:20pm On Aug 26, 2023
Abagworo:
Odoh was Igbo though with Kalabari mother.
yes asari dokubo is Igbo and his mom is kalabari
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by sparko1(m): 7:21pm On Aug 26, 2023
loosecanon50:
There's a reason why the first ever president of Nigeria was an Igbo man; Igbos are nation builders. They keep hating while the Igbos keeps progressing despite the gang up against them.

Even in this bulablu's current shameful run as a president, we know the region who are feeling the heat the most.

Na them full social media dey beg for food every day.

You forgot to add the first coup was by an igbo man too!!!

when mutinous soldiers led by Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu and Emmanuel Ifeajuna killed 22 people[4] including the prime minister of Nigeria, many senior politicians, many senior Army officers and their wives.

Stop trying to to paint any tribe as evil, there's good and evil in every tribe.

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by jayAjoku(m): 7:22pm On Aug 26, 2023
frog12:
e be like say gowon knew that a coup was coming, so him wife and children were in london at the time.

Yes na , after all he and murtala were close as well as danjuma
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Dshocker(m): 7:25pm On Aug 26, 2023
richie240:
Hehehehehe......see kwenshion.
Ya papa don feed u lie tey-tey nwokem.
grin grin

So what was his name?
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Enyimbamercedes: 7:32pm On Aug 26, 2023
1. Murtala Mohammed deserved the bullets he got from Dimka. Dimka you are a hero

2. The 20 naira note should be scrapped and the airport in Lagos renamed! An airport and currency should not have the name and face of a tribalistic genocidal son of a female dog!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by igbosarejews(m): 7:34pm On Aug 26, 2023
Tochitee:
Normally judging by the way this people have been tarnishing Nigeria name both locally and internationally,they should never be allowed near any leadership position in the country.
Yet bas.. tards, like you with wh ore, as mother are on Nairaland crying and criticising IPOB that will make those you don't like to exit from Nigeria quicker.
You hate them, but when you hear of Biafra, your usèlesss existence is unsettled

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Charisma01: 7:36pm On Aug 26, 2023
If you don't know history, go and ask your parents.

They are united in hate against the igbo. Same thing playing out against Obi but by the grace of God Obi will be declared president.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Rostikol: 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2023
Dshocker:

I believe you are educated to some extent, how was an Igbo man behind the first coup?

Google it!

Go on Google and type “1966 coup”.

You will learn the actions of your kinsmen.

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Geminiivory: 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2023
Pakute:
As ibos take see everybody for north as hausa/fulani, na like dat northerners take see everybody for east. But Gowon do am well as he take create SS states commot body from SE region, na why SS people dey enjoy Nigeria today, otherwise their gum body with SE for dey make them suffer. Today now, everybody for naija sabi differentiate SS people from SE. Gowon do well. But una remember that Gowon been dey collect toto from one ibo woman like dat who come later born pikin for am, so na that soft spot Gowon had for ibos as per in-law, however, Murtala's anger was quite reasonable because at the time the two iconic northern leaders in Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa were killed by ibo coupists, both SS and SE were all under the same eastern region dominated by ibos. Northerners would not have tolerated Gowon appointing anyone from the region at the time.

And those that led the coup were from what region again? Irredeemable fool... Same SS and then you blame SE.. Real miserable rat you be

3 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by yeshuasfootstep(m): 7:39pm On Aug 26, 2023
And what eventually happened to Murtala?

Yet people refuse to learn.

Even as they are struggling to canonise him as Saint.

Rubbish.

Nature is above all evil.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by nkemoma(m): 7:41pm On Aug 26, 2023
richie240:
Truth odi velly velly bitter.
The gentleman don yarn una d truth.

If u like callam 'monkey' na una palava be dat;
e nor conssyn anybody.
cool

Yes.. ND I said the truth too.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by NamelessOGBENI(m): 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2023
loosecanon50:
For those who didn't attend history classes, the hatred against Igbos didn't just start today..

...but what have we achieved as a nation by marginalizing them? Nothing except exponential backwardness with the speed of Ferrari.

The Sardauna of Sokoto back then, Sir Ahmadu Bello really goof with that his indigenization speech about the Igbos, I still watch the video and the statement is horrible, one of the worst from a leader.

And till date, the effect of that statement still breathe on however, the region he was fronting for back then is nothing to write home about, still the same story.

Brutally Frank and Hendu should in my bucket list.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by richie240: 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2023
Major Chukwuma Nzeogu, a fulani man.
cool
Dshocker:

So what was his name?

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by tete7000(m): 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2023
And the same Murtala was killed in another coup not long after. Those who live by sword, die by sword.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by djon78(m): 7:47pm On Aug 26, 2023
Penguin2:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/murtala-mohammed-backed-coup-against-gowon-for-appointing-igbo-man-nnpc-gm-clark/amp/

Give it to Pa Edwin Clark
He has been a highly placed Nigerian when most of the people holding sway in our politics today were still wearing Pampers

Great and huge respect to Him!!

He is a deep insider in government right from way back

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by NoSentimentNo: 7:47pm On Aug 26, 2023
Wow! Even if we want to give Murtala the opportunity of fair hearing, he's but dead.
All I know is that the actors in those early periods including the writer are all responsible for Nigeria's woes.
However those of them that live long are luckier because they can tell one sided, unverifiable tales and ascribe all the blames to their dead colleagues while portraying a nice image of themselves.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by ofexpryz(m): 7:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
That was a long & vital eyewitness account. Dis wan no be say dem say.

But i wonder why he's making it public @ this point in time?
I think its because he is old now and no longer scared of death.
It also may be because he wants to let the people know what the real issue is in nigeria. Which that we are divided because some still hate some.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Perewenkle1: 7:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
We shall all continue to suffer the consequences of that hate until we see all as one Nigeria, imagine some one complaining why Wike, a non Muslim was made the FCT minister and that it belongs to the north, this kind of myopic individuals are the ones destroying the country when followed by others.

We must allow individuals who are capable of leading this country out this mess lead regardless of where they come from or their religion or ethnicity.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Guyman01: 8:00pm On Aug 26, 2023
Rostikol:

GO FU..CK YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER AND GRANDFATHER.
Mynd44 nlfpmod this is violation of rules
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by soullove1881(m): 8:01pm On Aug 26, 2023
Racoon:
Now hear it. The only thing that can unit them together to utter hatred is the Igbo man. Now have the country progressed with their conspiracies over the years? Absolutely no!

This is true but Mr Clark should do well to tell us those behind assassination of Muritala, Ahmadu Bello, Akintola etc.

3 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by ojojonkembu: 8:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
Finally! finally!! How did he end.for he who kill by the knife we also die by the knife.

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by 18wheeler: 8:02pm On Aug 26, 2023
[Quote] I noticed that between 1973 and 1974 when I was the Commissioner for Finance in the Mid-West under Ogbemudia, Col. Joe Garba once visited Benin City and he was quartered in our No. 2 VIP Guest House along Golf Road. I visited him one evening at the guest house and we had a very cordial discussion as to his responsibility as Brigade Commander in Dodan Barracks. It was then he told me how close he was to General Gowon. [b]He and Joe Garba are Angas from Benue/Plateau State and was married to Victoria Zakari a trained nurse in 1969.

“During our discussion, the telephone rang and he took it, gave a salute and responded, “Yes sir.” The person at the other end conversed with Col. Garba in their native language and after the phone conversation, he sat down and informed me he was speaking to his big brother, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, the Head of State. [/b]It therefore came as a surprise when the announcement of the coup overthrowing Gen. Gowon’s government was made by Col. Garba (from Kanke Local Government of Plateau State), I almost melted. I was fully aware of grumbling among some Nigerians and a few open critics of Gen. Gowon, both military men and some politicians. I remember that after having a discussion with Gen. Yakubu Gowon on his misgivings concerning certain aspects of politics, he set up a committee to work out the details of how and when civilian administration should be reintroduced.[/Quote]

It may be irrelevant to the substance of the message, but Gen. Joe Garba and Gen. Gowon are not of the same tribe. Gowon is Angas from present day Kanke LGA while Garba is Tarok from Langtang. Either of them could have spoken the other’s dialect hence the conversation between them in one dialect or it could have been Hausa which I know both spoke fluently.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Penguin2: 8:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
kamalbob:
All this long write up just to narrate how igbo was rejected for a sensitive position? They are not that important. Tell them straight to their face. They started the war and we finished it. If not because of us (northerners) nyamuris will enslaved south-south, and advanced to south west. But we intervened and crushed them. That's why we are their number one enemy lol
During my nysc in akwai ibom. The LI tried to appoint me as his CLO but the nyamuris gang up against me because I'm a northerner. Lol I just laughed and say,.. "calm down it's just nysc, we will rule you forever in a real world"
Good luck with that.
Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by djon78(m): 8:07pm On Aug 26, 2023
Rostikol:
Until Igbos send a HIGH LEVEL TRADITIONAL DELEGATION comprising their most powerful traditional elders and priests on an APOLOGY MISSION to those regions whose leaders they killed in that FIRST COUP OF 1966… As in GO THERE to meet their counterparts in those regions, with SACRED WINE, SACRIFICIAL COCKRELS, AND A VIRGIN OR TWO, TO CLEANSE THOSE LANDS OF THE EVIL COMMITTED BY THEIR KINSMEN in that coup, you can forget about Igbos gaining power in this country.

You can speak ENGLISH from today till tomorrow. But we are Africans, and we have our own way of restoring balance.

And you think igbos give a hoot about Nigeria's president?

Buhari was president but many core Northerners were rendered perpetually poor

President can come from anywhere
We Igbos don't give a hoot

As long as we are making our doles
Nothing concern is

Many Igbos are doing well for themselves

This week I met with my fellow Igbo guy we have been friends way back
He is doing very well
Flies around the world Europe US Japan name it

He was telling me of another Igbo friend
He is running his successful business here in Nija
But his wife and children live in the US
He flies to see them

That's how many Igbos are doing exceptionally well

Running more things on global scale

But people like you merely surviving will be hating igbos

Bros we no get time for people like you
Na our business and making money be our concern

Most of us have our children carrying American, Canadian UK passport
So we don't give a hoot

You miserable
Should continue stooling on your misery and bigotry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Nefort: 8:08pm On Aug 26, 2023
loosecanon50:
For those who didn't attend history classes, the hatred against Igbos didn't just start today..

...but what have we achieved as a nation by marginalizing them? Nothing except exponential backwardness with the speed of Ferrari.

The question I want to ask you is, why are Igbos hated? If you are being hated then there must be something you are doing that gets your haters irritated.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Mccullum: 8:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
loosecanon50:
There's a reason why the first ever president of Nigeria was an Igbo man; Igbos are nation builders. They keep hating while the Igbos keeps progressing despite the gang up against them.

Even in this bulablu's current shameful run as a president, we know the region who are feeling the heat the most.

Na them full social media dey beg for food everyday.

The highest number of people begging on nairaland were Igbos, you indirectly mocking grieves of your brothers and sisters.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by XXCASH: 8:10pm On Aug 26, 2023
Penguin2:

You are a Kalabari man and you don’t want to know your history? The right history?

If you read the piece, you would see that the said Igbo man for whom a coup was led against Gowon was from Kalabari.

The implication is that these guys know you are, and see you guys as Igbo, but you have been fed rubbish which you have held onto, erroneously, for far too long.

Now you are mad that someone is trying to set the record straight?

Which history, the one that suits his narrative

I know when to listen to someone

1 Like

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Cooly100: 8:11pm On Aug 26, 2023
Nefort:

The question I want to ask you is, why are Igbos hated? If you are being hated then there must be something you are doing that gets your haters irritated.

Their zeal and success is the major reason for the hate..

Have the Igbos done half of what the Fulanis have done....but one of them was the president last term.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen. Murtala Backed Coup Against Gowon For Appointing Igbo Man NNPC DG - Clark by Pandar01: 8:15pm On Aug 26, 2023
Rostikol:

ABEG SHUT UP, NARCISSIST.

YOU ARE USELESS EVEN TO YOURSELVES.

IF YOU ARE SUCH GREAT MAGICIANS, WHY HAVE 30 MILLION OF YOU FLED THE EAST TO LIVE IN THE NORTH AND WEST?

AND YOUR REGION HAS BEEN LEFT TO FARMERS AND TERRORISTS?

USELESS, DEPENDENT SET OF PEOPLE FEELING FUNKY.

WITHOUT THE REST OF NIGERIA HOUSING YOU, YOU WOULD STARVE IN YOUR MILLIONS.

It's like you have their time ..
No one argues or talk to me on political matters anymore , they have been left behind ..

Mind you ,never fight a man who is already on the ground...

After this 8 years , the yorubas are transferring them back to the hausas to manage for another 8 years and to be continued that way..

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Another Trekker From Taraba To Abuja To Present An Award To President Gej-pix / 'Revolution Now' Protester Arrested In Lagos (Photos, Video) / Ebonyi: PDP submits Igariwey, Udeogu to INEC to replace Umahi, Igwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.