Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,812 members, 7,827,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? (16573 Views)

Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Lady Empties The House After Husband Sent Her Packing (Photos) / My Wife Sent Her Nude Photos To Zenith Bank Manager In Delta - Man Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Bankowner: 11:24am On Aug 27, 2023
You want to compare the period when you were 4 to now, right?
There is no ajebo in this matter, the children are way too young to go on street errands.
MichaelSokoto:
wen we don start to dey go msg frm 4yrs plus?

OP are u ajebo?
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Harrynight(m): 11:24am On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If you have access to Netflix, I suggest you binge-watch the two seasons of the show called Old Enough, a Japanese show that features children much younger than your kids being sent out on errands. undecided

If you are scared for their safety, then I would suggest you instead follow them from a couple of steps away to guard the kids from afar when they are out on such errands. I don't think you should stop them. undecided

My heart bleeds when we talk about certain things Ilin nigeria people bring in comparison from sane countries

We talking about nigeria here bro... I'm a Security consultant, from my experience in physical security management bro, I would tell u it's not safe for kids of that age sending them errands on nigeria streets
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by doyin01: 11:24am On Aug 27, 2023
LadyPortable:
Try am abroad, you go explain tire

The way some of you just confidently speak thrash that you have no idea about...who told you they do not send 7 years old kids on errands in abroad ?? The same abroad that some of these kids even go to the ice cream shops , schools , etc alone ?? Very soon you people will say they do not even eat it at all in this abroad. As if abroad na where aliens dey live...

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by concho(m): 11:24am On Aug 27, 2023
You and your wife exchanged roles.
If he can : identity himself, his address and his parents, then he is fit to run erands around

2 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by MadeMan01(m): 11:25am On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.

Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.

Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?
At 7 years , I was in Primary 2. I walked to school which was about 600metres away and we lived in FESTAC.

You can send them on errand within your street to buy sugar, egg, Coke, etc to build their confidence

2 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by MrBroke(m): 11:25am On Aug 27, 2023
Definitely yes. Are you raising a snail?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by davidtemi(m): 11:26am On Aug 27, 2023
Wen my son was 3 I started sending him to buy biscuits, but I ll be outside our gate watching him

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 27, 2023
In such situation, there are so many things to consider in such situation:

1, The security situation in your location

2, How close/far is the place from your home
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by id4sho(m): 11:26am On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.

Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.

Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?
Your area matters!!! Barracks, estate, Getto, busy street . I go to market with friends at that age to buy meat. To chemist with list of drugs wink

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Peppysco: 11:27am On Aug 27, 2023
There's nothing bad teaching our little children to engage in domestic activities, matter of fact, it helps to shape their thinking and productive capacities at a very young age.
But, given the precarious state of the nation now, security wise, I'll advise that such children shouldn't be sent outside of your gaze's reach, I mean, not far from where you can clearly see them. Matter of fact, such errands should be left alone for adults. My cousin was telling me few days back how a 10yr old girl was kidnapped on their street through hypnosis. According to him, the little girl, an only child of the parents, is someone we all refer to as 'omo get inside', meaning that, she's really seen outside the compound but the rare chance she had to step out, she was kidnapped and yet to be found till now.
Dear OP, the country is crazy right now and bad people are everywhere looking for who to prey on, unfortunately, little children are the most vulnerable right now. You won't lose any of your children to kidnappers ooo, kindly let your wife understand the danger in sending such young child on outside errands, evil lurks everywhere, aaa ni foju sunkun omo ooo,Amin.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by phorget(m): 11:28am On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If you have access to Netflix, I suggest you binge-watch the two seasons of the show called Old Enough, a Japanese show that features children much younger than your kids being sent out on errands. undecided

If you are scared for their safety, then I would suggest you instead follow them from a couple of steps away to guard the kids from afar when they are out on such errands. I don't think you should stop them. undecided

Japan is different from Nigeria, I wont personally send a child of that age on any errand outside the home. Even my daughter of 10years wont still go beyond 2 poles on her own.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by onlyboyson(m): 11:28am On Aug 27, 2023
Here in onitsha as a parents just write the items ,the total amount and the balance he or she will collect from the seller on a piece of paper 📜 boom 💥

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Elliotwaveforec: 11:28am On Aug 27, 2023
Is your child the slow one? 5 years old child is already useful. 7 years lounloun, Abba!

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:30am On Aug 27, 2023
Bankowner:
You want to compare the period when you were 4 to now, right?
There is no ajebo in this matter, the children are way too young to go on street errands.
says who?
in Ajegunle my area, we go little errands from 4-6yrs but not on d road per say..
but from 6yrs confamm, we dey fly main road dey go msg, not even for our parents but 4 neighbors sef!
I won't lie u!
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by PDJT: 11:31am On Aug 27, 2023
-Brother you're mainly responsible for the safety of your family, especially your children. Your average female doesn't pay much attention to safety until she becomes a victim. In order words, they don't read danger, they only read self.

-Give a woman a camera, she will take a picture of herself; but give that camera to a man, he will take a picture of his family. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:32am On Aug 27, 2023
Elliotwaveforec:
Is your child the slow one? 5 years old child is already useful. 7 years lounloun, Abba!
I taya ooo!

Infact, as a toddler then, once u knw wat #1, #5, #10 or #20 is and look like, then u are good to go on any errands... so far small thing go reach ya hand!
cool
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by sugaslim(m): 11:32am On Aug 27, 2023
At that age, my Grandmother will send me to the market of like 5streets away to buy fish, I already know where to buy it and will return back home unguarded.

Yes there are many okadas now and wicked people, but we need to teach them street sense.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by dapadawee: 11:32am On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

If a child is not 10years old they should not be errandbuse
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Funflipper: 11:33am On Aug 27, 2023
Osobi32:
There's no excuse, a 7yr old boy is old enough to run errands. Na so them dey spoil children then come back to cry.

Oga you are wrong. A 7yr old kid shouldn't even be allowed to step out of the house alone.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Elliotwaveforec: 11:33am On Aug 27, 2023
Landowner101:
At 7, wey boys dey treck to school , wey boys don sabi all the football viewing center for area, wey boys dey save money go game house.

A 7 year is old enough to start running errands. Na God dey guide person.
Can you imagine?, 7 years! May we know not born .........
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Awise09(m): 11:34am On Aug 27, 2023
The world we living in today.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by EnvyandHate: 11:34am On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

Absolutely not.

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by kkins25(m): 11:35am On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

7? Is ur child mentally incapacitated or what? I was trekking for almost 30 minutes to school at that age.. Take it from someone who's watched 4 younger siblings grow.. You're stripping your kid of confidence.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by rickleye: 11:35am On Aug 27, 2023
It’s laziness . The child is too young . Doesn’t know your mobile number or can memorize it in case of danger. Plus the child is out of her view.
Too young.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Ventura1: 11:36am On Aug 27, 2023
You are on point, my wife was initially worried when I sent my 8 years old son on an errand, she later realized my reasons, and keyed into it. One cannot afford to have street dull children nowadays, one must do everything to make them conscious of their society. I know couple of grown up who are being affected by unnecessary pampering by parents. When an 18yrs boy cannot be sent to Ikeja from Isolo without the parents being unnecessarily worried.
Romanoff:
As much as children of these days will be tech savvy and book smart, I fear a lot of them will not be Street smart. At age 7, he's not too young to be sent on an errand. You and your wife should give your children security and environmental awareness tips. At this age, they should have a fear of not wandering from where they were sent.

As long as it's within the neighbourhood, I feel it's okay o.

The issue of Gbomogbomo have always been in our society, our parents then give us guidelines to avert them, I'm talking about the late 80's and 90's

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Machinegun91(m): 11:37am On Aug 27, 2023
I started farming at the age of 5.

Your son at 7 is old enough to have a girlfriend.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:37am On Aug 27, 2023
dapadawee:

If a child is not 10years old they should not be errandbuse
10 yrs is too small naa!
let's wait 4 dem to reach 20 or 25 first naa!
Errandbuse ko!

2 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Peppysco: 11:37am On Aug 27, 2023
Ensa777:
My 7 yr old with his siblings are at the Redeemed church in my neighbor Hood while I'm trying to rest at home. grin
Naso e be.

There's always a button phone and house key in his pocket as soon as they leave the house .

I'm not saying you're wrong ooo, but Nigeria never safe reach where all these measures dey work ooo. Kidnappers dey hypnotize adults ooo, let alone small pikins. We all just need to be careful. Naturally, children will go anywhere and be back on their own, no matter how late. But, can they spot evil or sense danger from a distance, no. The reason why one must be careful sending them out of reach.

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Peppysco: 11:38am On Aug 27, 2023
[quote author=Ensa777 post=125389344]My 7 yr old with his siblings are at the Redeemed church in my neighbor Hood while I'm trying to rest at home. grin
Naso e be.

There's always a button phone and house key in his pocket as soon as they leave the house .

I'm not saying you're wrong ooo, but Nigeria never safe reach where all these measures dey work ooo. Kidnappers dey hypnotize adults ooo, let alone small pikins. We all just need to be careful. Naturally, children will go anywhere and be back on their own, no matter how late. But, can they spot evil or sense danger from a distance, no. The reason why one must be careful sending them out of reach.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by rickleye: 11:38am On Aug 27, 2023
kkins25:

7? Is ur child mentally incapacitated or what? I was trekking for almost 30 minutes to school at that age.. Take it from someone who's watched 4 younger siblings grow.. You're stripping your kid of confidence.

What year 1985 ?
Plus you were not trekking alone but with a group. Let the child be a child until he/she shows the capacity to do.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Best Advice/quotes Mum Ever Gave You? / Couples Please Encourage Me With Your Financial Struggles Stories. / My 17-year-old Daughter Is Pregnant For Me, What Should I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.