Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,917 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? (16527 Views)

Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Lady Empties The House After Husband Sent Her Packing (Photos) / My Wife Sent Her Nude Photos To Zenith Bank Manager In Delta - Man Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by MrFly(m): 1:12pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

They get spoilt when you do not train them in the way of the Lord, so far these children know their God, his teachings, fear him, respect their parent, then there is nothing that can spoil them, because through the teachings from the word of God and proper guidiance by their parents, they will surely be ok. What i am concerned about here is not that it's bad sending your child on an errand, but the safety of the child of that age is the main concern.
a lazy child is a spoilt child, that was what he meant and not this religious preaching u are putting up here. Aren't u guys aware that we are taking religion out of its true context? When was d last time u gave out ur last to someone in dire need yet u form online preachers.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2023
Procashtips:
■ Why should he follow them? Of what use is the errand then? The OP is talking about the age, not about the rest you listed. At least 10 is okay outside the house.
Who asked you to follow them? OP asked if a 7-year old is to old to begin core social intelligence training and I showed that a 7-year-old just learning how to be street-wise is late in the game compared to his peers. undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Abagworo(m): 1:17pm On Aug 27, 2023
At 7 I didn't go on errands because my parents weren't average or below average so at 7 my kids are equally not going on errands cause I am also above average. If you are a street man into drugs or yahoo or whatever street things you like then you can transfer same to your children. As for me 7 is too young to be independent

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Procashtips(m): 1:17pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Who asked you to follow them? OP asked if a 7-year old is to old to begin core social intelligence training and I showed that a 7-year-old just learning how to be street-wise is late in the game compared to his peers. undecided

Do you read your comments?
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:17pm On Aug 27, 2023
Procashtips:
Do you read your comments?
Did you read it yourself? undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Procashtips(m): 1:18pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Did you read it yourself? undecided

grin grin

Agbako
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by dapotemi: 1:22pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.

Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.

Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?

It depends on the kind of environment you live...My 6 yrs old girl does alot of errand for her mum but I stay in a close, quite safe....So I will say it depends so much on your environment but if you feel it's not safe, discuss with madam first, let her see reason with you and both of you agree....Infact, you can find out those things madam usually buy on the street, and maybe get them in bulk!! Find a solution that will be appealing to everyone.Dont teach your boy to be disobidient.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by tammyf: 1:26pm On Aug 27, 2023
Ensa777:
My husband had reservations like you until he was in a fix one day and our 7 yr old took him to the next street to the Gen. mechanic grin,he come weak.
Nothing wrong with it. My son of 7 runs errands in my street and also takes his siblings to Barb their hair and church .Thats how we were raised.
It helps them to be money and street smart early.I started at 5 though.
I'm not ready to raise indoor children wey be say when they are released from their cage (house)they'll be behaving like mumu or afraid of the streets.
Let him go biko and destress your wife.Start with the shops in your neighborhood.
This right here was my problem.now I cant relate in the society.so shy .they locked me 6 to 6 in our big estate .driver takes u to school and back

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by LINSAR: 1:29pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Learn to read abeg! if insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether?

Who is talking about insecurity?

When with kids in Nigeria, you still have to tell them to leave the road for incoming vehicles.
Imagine when you're not with them.

I see children recklessly crossing the roads, walking on the road for motorists.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Alexiiydon: 1:32pm On Aug 27, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

What's the incidence of disappearance of children in the southeast, relative to your own region, you hypocrite??

Which region is frequently in the news for beheading children, women and men for rituals?

Do the insecurity and criminal practices which include ritual killings spare sny rrgion in Nigeria?

Are people from your region not amongst those running out of Nigeria with insecurity as one of their major excuses?

Do you have any statistics to prove your own region is spared?

Idiots like you turn every thread into tribal war ground
what I said was simple and not a tribal war but fool like turn it to tribal war and accuse me wrongly
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by rickleye: 1:33pm On Aug 27, 2023
kkins25:
2000s sir.

That’s 23 years ago bro . Things are different as you know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:41pm On Aug 27, 2023
LINSAR:
■ Who is talking about insecurity?
When with kids in Nigeria, you still have to tell them to leave the road for incoming vehicles. Imagine when you're not with them. I see children recklessly crossing the roads, walking on the road for motorists.
Look around.. isn't that the same exact thing the kids see adults doing in that same Nigeria? Bring the same kids to a developed nation and you will find them less likely to do the sand. Kids learn from their environment and so it is sensible in order to build social intelligence all while training them about the right and wrong ways to do things.. undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lifenajeje(m): 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2023
I.missed my school bus but I had to be in school cos I don't want to miss the next edition of Superman comic after lex luthor dealth a fatal.blow to superman .I had given my class mate money to purchase it because he stays at mile 2 estate as one could only get comics from newspaper vendors from that area then ..

I trekked from okokomaiko to church bus stop ...I can remember been tired at barracks but the urge to know what happened to superman kept me going ..

I go to my school Ideal day nursery and primary school on old ojo road at past 11am during break period only for gozie to tell me he bought one new comic green arrow as superman was not available on stands ..

To make matters worse my father saw me on his way to work when he came back he asked me what time I got to school and I lied to him about getting to school with othet kids at 7:30 ..

The man flooged living daylights out of me ..

At age 7 I and my friends go to hunt for rabbits at the bushes in LASU..

During raining season we go fishing or gather those snails with round shells called ishawuru dont know the engkish name ..

I also go to the market to get meat or vegetables ..

Presently I see public children at that age board buses to their various schools not within their locality

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:46pm On Aug 27, 2023
Alexiiydon:
what I said was simple and not a tribal war but fool like turn it to tribal war and accuse me wrongly

Maybe your past and present generations were buried in the southeast that made you quote 'southeast' even when it has nothing to do with the topic under discussion.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by LINSAR: 1:59pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Look around.. isn't that the same exact thing the kids see adults doing in that same Nigeria? Bring the same kids to a developed nation and you will find them less likely to do the sand. Kids learn from their environment and so it is sensible in order to build social intelligence all while training them about the right and wrong ways to do things.. undecided

Where is the proof that they see adults doing so? I won't take assumptions here!

In developed nations, you won't see two lanes in a road that can barely contain 2 side by side cars. Thanks to people who build house recklessly, display and sell goods on the road making the road smaller and unsafe in Nigeria.
How many T-junctions have functioning traffic lights in Nigeria?
How many motorists respect Zebra crossing? How many motorists in developed nations follow one-way(face incoming vehicles)?

The above is why developed nations are safer for kids than Nigeria.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Funflipper: 1:59pm On Aug 27, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

Mr. Jailer, dat is imprisonment!

lol, as long as they are safe inside the prison.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by gratefulheart(m): 2:01pm On Aug 27, 2023
The depend on the environment.

I did that before that age but the environment was peaceful and friendly not now that everywhere is scary. I remember I used to travel to other states to buy goods for my dad when I was less than age 15.

You need to let him start developing muscles. You can send out and overshadow him with him knowing (follow him without his knowledge see whatever happening on his to/fro). As much as possible tell him not to entertain strangers or play with anyone on his way.

Help him early with street credibility, before they teach him bad things outside.

lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.

Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.

Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 2:07pm On Aug 27, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

You female folks always have a way of reasoning things upside down.

It's not always about you.

The security and safety of such a young child in an unsafe country like Nigeria must be considered over the mother's selfish interest on obedience and respect.

see, may God honor you for this expression. You nailed it for me. Especially the third paragraph.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by descarado: 2:54pm On Aug 27, 2023
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Trybes(m): 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kingosytex:
How can a child of 7 years be sent to the streets to do what exactly?
That is child abuse... Whatever happened to the safety of the child?
Why expose the kid to all forms of hazards?
The kid might be kidnapped or hit by a vehicle.
Shey the mama no feel pains during child birth? Shey being pregnant for 9 months na joke to her?

There's no issue with a 7 year old performing some minor chores in the house but going to the streets is way out of it.
You have spoken well.
The man should follow his instincts.
Some women sometimes are senseless
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by descarado: 3:06pm On Aug 27, 2023
onadana:

Street smart is a mentality of the poor vis a vis the average mind. What is street smart..?Are Dangote or Otedola or Adeleke's children street smart?Street smart or street wise is the language of the poor.
It is not at all.
Did you know how dangote was raised?
You raise an inferiority complex children when you forbid them to explore at young age. They end up rebellious as teens. Even in a very high bro area, children knew fellow kids and stuffs hoping around the neborhood.
If your child don't know that, that's a timid adult with very low self esteem you are raising up.

It will take him time to navigate to the real world. By then, it's too late.

You are there to use what happens in their life then to teach them about realities of life. Cos they will meet realities very soon.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Johel(m): 3:11pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

No.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 3:14pm On Aug 27, 2023
MrFly:
a lazy child is a spoilt child, that was what he meant and not this religious preaching u are putting up here. Aren't u guys aware that we are taking religion out of its true context? When was d last time u gave out ur last to someone in dire need yet u form online preachers.

The word of God my dear cut across everything you mentioned here, the word of God taught on how to be hard working, infact, read your job very well and other chapters, the word of God also thought about constant giving, constantly giving to the poor, widows, the needy, your parents, your prophets and many more, so whatever life you will live my dear, if you study the word of God properly, you will find it there. Do you know that there is reluctant giving that is not acceptable? But if you give according to the word of God through Love, then nobody should even teach you that you should give.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by etrange: 3:26pm On Aug 27, 2023
My answer is NO. I believe your concerns are valid. A child of that age shouldn't even be seen walking down the street alone. When I see a kid of that age all by himself, I always believe it's inevitable cause it's not a secret that people's situations differ. But in your case, it can be avoided.

You have to cautiously discuss it with madame in the absence of the kid (never encourage a child to disrespect the mother). However, it doesn't stop there. If you really want this to end, you have to contribute your quota. If wifey runs short of salt while cooking, go downstairs and buy her a sachet. It's not just the ideal thing to do, it's also a romantic and bonding experience when you do things together like that.

Good luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by TeeNanu(m): 3:31pm On Aug 27, 2023
illicit:
Times have changed tho

When I was 7, I was going to my barber and tailor alone

I run personal errands for my dad too

On our street

Exactly at 7 me and my friends would trek different street looking for where to play fun games, it depends on the environmental though.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by bukatyne(f): 3:35pm On Aug 27, 2023
Christistruth03:

Not even a 12 year old girl

Not in a Nation where even Police are going missing

Many people are not ok

@bold: Warris this cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by aQUINandmore: 3:40pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Learn to read abeg!
if fear of insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether? undecided
why won't I have kids due to insecurity when I'm sensible enough to take measures to keep my kids off harm's way?

If sending a 7 year old kids on errands is the only way you think they can acquire social intelligence why are you wasting your money on school fees for them?
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by NoToPile: 3:57pm On Aug 27, 2023
Lots of variables are involved in these our times.

The major concern is the security situation these days, lots of touch and follow people around.

If not for security matter it's not even an issue.

Lots of under 7 year olds still go to school themselves here in Lagos and lots of us still take our children to school so it depends.

I would prefer the kids doing their chores at and then take them out to buy things on shops in the street.

Aye ti le
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 4:14pm On Aug 27, 2023
Too young,considering the security issues in Nigeria.Many of his age mates have gone missing when sent on errands.for me,I disapprove.errands should be within the house premises only and not outskirts of the house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by LadyPortable(f): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2023
doyin01:

The way some of you just confidently speak thrash that you have no idea about...who told you they do not send 7 years old kids on errands in abroad ?? The same abroad that some of these kids even go to the ice cream shops , schools , etc alone ?? Very soon you people will say they do not even eat it at all in this abroad. As if abroad na where aliens dey live...

I won't waste my precious time with you but know know that you don't send underage on errand on a vehicular road. Argue with your keypad.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by greypencils: 4:28pm On Aug 27, 2023
I didn't start going on errands till age 12. 7 is too young for me o. I won't do that to my child.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by ambient: 4:49pm On Aug 27, 2023
I started sending my son on erands and i can see much improvement,he knows his way around money,he gets everything i tell him to buy.he is seven years and my estate is safe.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You / Deleted Post / Things You Did In The Kitchen As A Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.