Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,360 members, 7,819,289 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? (16529 Views)

Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Lady Empties The House After Husband Sent Her Packing (Photos) / My Wife Sent Her Nude Photos To Zenith Bank Manager In Delta - Man Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by 10koo: 4:55pm On Aug 27, 2023
itsme01:
You should start sending them errands at 7, maybe not far but let them start feeling sense of independence and maturity
mohammed safiu Oyedele
why did you and your father Ishola raped your nephew and mother Musili ?
confess now because I have your pictures and videos
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by makson007: 5:04pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.

Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.

Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?

I used to send my girl of dsame age on an errands, but with rules and codes....e.g don't greet anybody, if someone greet you don't answer, if someone call you pls run and shout. don't share your umbrella with anybody etc.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by afadi2410: 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2023
[quote author=Osobi32 post=125379487] There's no excuse, a 7yr old boy is old enough to run errands. Na so them dey spoil children then come back to cry.[/quote

When you born your own,send am on errands please

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by MrFly(m): 5:19pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

The word of God my dear cut across everything you mentioned here, the word of God taught on how to be hard working, infact, read your job very well and other chapters, the word of God also thought about constant giving, constantly giving to the poor, widows, the needy, your parents, your prophets and many more, so whatever life you will live my dear, if you study the word of God properly, you will find it there. Do you know that there is reluctant giving that is not acceptable? But if you give according to the word of God through Love, then nobody should even teach you that you should give.
then how does sending a child on an errand relate to ur previous and current write up. Kindly separate religion and reasoning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by toprealman: 5:21pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If you have access to Netflix, I suggest you binge-watch the two seasons of the show called Old Enough, a Japanese show that features children much younger than your kids being sent out on errands. undecided

If you are scared for their safety, then I would suggest you instead follow them from a couple of steps away to guard the kids from afar when they are out on such errands. I don't think you should stop them. undecided
Japan is on a different level when it comes to security.
Even an adult in Nigeria is vulnerable let alone kids. The OP is on the right track
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by placeofallure(f): 5:32pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.

Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.

Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?

It's a sensitive one because it depends on a lot of variables. Here, one size doesn't fit all! I grew up in Lagos when there was still sanity in the neighborhoods. But then, as sane as the society was, my mum didn't let us loose. Anyday l got sent down the street, I was super excited. I respect your not wanting your kids to be exposed, especially in this dangerous era that we're in. I particularly fear the kidnappers.

However, I don't support you shield them totally. How do they become street savvy? They need street credibility to be able to cope o if not people will be slapping them left, right and centre. You know how we sabi take advantage for Naija. In my neighborhood we call them "awon ọmọ get inside" You won't want them to be like that. I'm a mixture of both worlds. I always pray for my mum. She got the right mix, the accurate balancing. E no gud make person no get small skushi for head. Trust me, there'll be days you will need it.

An aside....
A boy, he couldn't be more than 13 or 14 sold a pair of shoes to me. The way he attended to me, the marketing, the attention to details, the salesman spirit...That boy can market Nigeria. I know his may be borne out of poverty or whatever, but I tell you his future is made.

Oyinbos start early that's why they excel. I was going through Pinterest the other day and I saw a list of age appropriate chores for children; you won't believe the list of what 4 year olds should be able to do. Allow your son and guard him. Jẹ kí jèrè ọmọ ẹ jare!
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 5:47pm On Aug 27, 2023
aQUINandmore:
why won't I have kids due to insecurity when I'm sensible enough to take measures to keep my kids off harm's way?

If sending a 7 year old kids on errands is the only way you think they can acquire social intelligence why are you wasting your money on school fees for them?
Your kids aren't usually taught social intelligence skills in school. Those are typically developed from having numerous regular interactions in less managed settings. Also, your kids are rarely exposed to emotional intelligence skills in school so you should also look into getting that for them too. You can't buy those for marketundecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Adgraced: 5:49pm On Aug 27, 2023
Ok for house chores. But Street errands NO. At that age the child is still a baby and such acts can pose some dangers
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by darealez(m): 6:15pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

Some decades ago I ran kilometres to get my mother help when she was in labour. I was only 5yrs.. I started driving at 13yrs with no teacher or instructor. Early is best!!
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by LINSAR: 6:33pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Your kids aren't usually taught social intelligence skills in school. Those are typically developed from having numerous regular interactions in less managed settings. Also, your kids are rarely exposed to emotional intelligence skills in school so you should also look into getting that for them too. You can't buy those for marketundecided

They'll get it when they're a little grown.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 6:45pm On Aug 27, 2023
LINSAR:
They'll get it when they're a little grown.
Look around you at the numerous who struggle with those same basic skills even as adults. Some of you don't bother reasoning things out at all.. undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Osobi32(m): 7:12pm On Aug 27, 2023
[quote author=afadi2410 post=125397172][/quote] My son is already running errands for me, I was running errands and going to school all by myself when I was 7yrs. As a matter of fact, it was my duty to wash the dishes and sweep the house every morning. Mind you.... I grew up in the 80s so I don't see why my kid at 7 shouldn't run errands.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by hify9935(f): 7:49pm On Aug 27, 2023
onumadu:
Back in the day, it used to be safe, but the days are getting evil.
So, please try to keep explaining to your wife that the days are not as they used to be.
An intelligent woman wouldn't need to be told these things.
That is why it is very important to marry an intelligent woman.
are you saying he married an unintelligent woman? shocked

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by tnerro1(m): 8:15pm On Aug 27, 2023
Hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Fujiyama: 8:54pm On Aug 27, 2023
Interesting thread
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by EnvyandHate: 10:30pm On Aug 27, 2023

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by EnvyandHate: 12:51am On Aug 28, 2023

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by cocoxs: 5:13am On Aug 28, 2023
For oyinbo country it is illegal to leave a 7-year-old alone at home not to talk of sending them on errands. A lot of Nigerians that send 7-year-olds on errands will be shocked when they japa. If police sees your 7-year-old alone on the street, you will never see that child again.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by brainycaleb(m): 5:29am On Aug 28, 2023
I was already running the house by age 5 when my mother put to bed! I'd write list for the market and go buy them, then prepare dinner for the family. The market is about 2km from my house and I trek it to and fro. This made me more responsible than ever.

If by the time your child is 7 and you are still scared to send him out for Small errands unlike my own herculean tasks, this shows how poor your parenting skills are. At such age you still fear whether the child would be safe in his own immediate environment? Hollywood Don spoil una.

I grew up knowing the 90's and the security /economic situation can still be compared to pretty much as of today. We had kidnappers and ritualists roaming about then too!
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Alexiiydon: 8:00am On Aug 28, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Maybe your past and present generations were buried in the southeast that made you quote 'southeast' even when it has nothing to do with the topic under discussion.
na why you run commot there because by now you would have been dead for sure same way your mama and papa die from unknown gun men
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Revolva(m): 10:31am On Aug 28, 2023
I was 5 years already running errands in dese street...thoroughly breed

Forget dese lazy children of today
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Psoul(m): 11:24am On Aug 28, 2023
lawrenzoo:

I was initially have same issue with my wife until I decided to let it be. I noticed that, allowing them to out to the street sometimes makes them stronger and more street wiser. It make them socialized better and get to understand application and money transaction.

All you need to do is tell them not to start talking or following a stranger. If a stranger insist they follow him, they should run, shout and even beat and fight if necessary.

They should not be sent on street errands when it's dark.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Tunji66: 11:46am On Aug 28, 2023
A 7 years old can walk down to school and should also be able to run errands but not too too far distance this will also train and continuously sharpen his intelligence

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkie: 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2023
cocoxs:
For oyinbo country it is illegal to leave a 7-year-old alone at home not to talk of sending them on errands. A lot of Nigerians that send 7-year-olds on errands will be shocked when they japa. If police sees your 7-year-old alone on the street, you will never see that child again.
It is not illegal to send them out on errands. People call that in some places free-range parenting. Look it up! undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by LINSAR: 1:18pm On Aug 28, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Look around you at the numerous who struggle with those same basic skills even as adults. Some of you don't bother reasoning things out at all.. undecided

I've given you reasons they can't get such exposure at that little age in Nigeria. You decided to cut it out of my post, so?🤷

You prefer cutting out my assertions to agreeing with it.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Ensa777(f): 6:08pm On Aug 28, 2023
brainycaleb:
I was already running the house by age 5 when my mother put to bed! I'd write list for the market and go buy them, then prepare dinner for the family. The market is about 2km from my house and I trek it to and fro. This made me more responsible than ever.

If by the time your child is 7 and you are still scared to send him out for Small errands unlike my own herculean tasks, this shows how poor your parenting skills are. At such age you still fear whether the child would be safe in his own immediate environment? Hollywood Don spoil una.

I grew up knowing the 90's and the security /economic situation can still be compared to pretty much as of today. We had kidnappers and ritualists roaming about then too!

Don

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by EnvyandHate: 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2023
No way, absolutely not.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 6:16pm On Aug 29, 2023
Well noted.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 4:39pm On Nov 04, 2023

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is It Ideal To Go For Someone With A Lesser demanding career than You / Deleted Post / Things You Did In The Kitchen As A Kid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.