Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,931 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? (18556 Views)

Five (5) Reasons Why Some People Are Unemployable - Odewale Adesoye (Green Man) / Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable / Top 7 Blue Collar Jobs Unemployed Nigerian Graduates Should Consider (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Kewtt: 10:19am On Sep 17, 2018
I'll tell you a story.

There's this girl who aced all her subjects in secondary school.

Not just acing but award-worthy educational success.

She was so good that at her Junior Secondary 3 (JSS 3) level, she was solving mathematical problems from Senior Secondary 1 & 2 (SS 1 & 2) curriculum.

1st Mistake

She loved Maths & computers but was admitted into the university to study Geology.

Today, she still thinks she would have been a statistics wizard if she'd been allowed to just study Math or Engineering. You know - subjects where she doesn't have to always cram some qualitative garbage but provide quantitative solutions.

2nd Mistake

When she got into the university, she realized she didn't have to study very hard. Very few people were bothering to anyway. She was extremely smart & could hold her own but it became easier to combine intellectual efforts with other students at assignments, tests & final exams.

The system allowed it.

All her friends did it so, why fight it?

3rd Mistake

While at school, no one ever taught her how to write a résumé or successfully approach interviews.

She, just like everyone around her wanted a good life but the system pretty much set them up to fail.

When she graduated, she met a professional at an international oil & gas company who asked her what she wanted to do in life & to explain her undergraduate degree experience but she was not prepared for that.

She gave answers which were weak, mostly incoherent, lacked precision or clarity.

She'd never thought of herself in that light.

The internet wasn't readily accessible back then so she was pretty much left on her own with her fellow ignorant peers.

She also had a great & supportive family who she leaned on.

Luckily for her, she got some mentors, then left the country for her masters degree.

At 1st, she struggled at her Canadian university.

Correcting her 2nd mistake

She had to actually learn all those skills & resources she didn't bother with back in Nigeria due to combined students’ efforts.

She had to read all those textbooks she never bothered with in her Nigerian university in order to excel at her program.

Correcting her 3rd mistake

She also met lecturers whose method of teaching was about empowering students to run with their ideas.

It wasn't about multiple choice questions but making a case of why Case A is better/worse than Case B.

It made her actually think for the 1st time in her life. She learned how to make great presentations. It was a confidence boost. It was exhilarating!

She learned about plagiarism which is a very despicable thing. She also learned about self-development, professional development & presentations.

She learned it was ok to make decisions, make mistakes & then learn from them.

She became comfortable working alone & also with a team. She learned the power of independence.

She was a different person.

She became more confident about her thoughts & ideas. No one laughs at her mistakes nor condemns her for them.

Her bosses don't care about always being right or barking orders at those under them. Team contributions is crucial, encouraged & needed.

Everybody is equal. No one feared anyone. It was a healthy environment. She was valued. She freely runs her program the way she sees fit.

This is my story.

There's no correcting my 1st mistake. If I ever do, I'll tell a story about it.

If you read this, you'd understand how the Nigerian system encourages laziness & might discourage talent because of envy or pride.

Many Nigerian graduates are victims of their own underdeveloped & redundant society.

Maybe with the internet, a few might self-improve. Otherwise, they're unemployable because there's very few people to teach them better.

Note to any Nigerian student reading this - don't take the easy way out. Read not just to pass your examinations but to actually know.

You'd be truly a better person & student for it.

Good luck!

smiley

Source Uche Metuh Quora

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by ehinmowo: 11:02am On Sep 17, 2018
Op there is only one reason why our graduates cannot easily fit (NOT UNEMPLOYABLE) into the job world. That is the deplorable state of our educational system. Nothing more.

37 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by viosky(m): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2018
whose fault do you think it is,

like for graduates and share for Nigeria

6 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by naijacentric(m): 1:33pm On Sep 17, 2018
Blame the lecturers n the educational system

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Kewtt: 2:06pm On Sep 17, 2018
naijacentric:

No the lecturers are also victims

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Kewtt: 2:07pm On Sep 17, 2018
ehinmowo:
Op there is only one reason why our graduates cannot easily fit (NOT UNEMPLOYABLE) into the job world. That is the deplorable state of our educational system. Nothing more.
Did you read at all?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 17, 2018
We have founded a system of blame apportionment.
No one wants to be responsible for their lives or actions anymore. So what do they do?
They blame the government, parents, lecturers, even society.
What we have all failed to know is that laziness is what is our problem.
Until we stop this custom of entitlement and laziness we will remain here.
Unemployable!!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by MallamAhmed: 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2018
Let's assume all Nigerian graduates are employable, do we have enough employment opportunities to employ all of them in Nigeria of today.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by 1stNumeroUno: 7:13pm On Sep 17, 2018
MallamAhmed:
Let's assume all Nigerian graduates are employable, do we have enough employment opportunities to employ all of them in Nigeria of today.

The irony is - the more employable graduates we have the more job opportunities would abound. I can explain further if you need me too.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by traihit: 7:14pm On Sep 17, 2018
viosky:
whose fault do you think it is,

like for graduates and share for Nigeria

You pick a side to fault, give reasonable reasons and you'll get both. Let's do some academic juggle here.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by traihit: 7:24pm On Sep 17, 2018
If education is about what is given to us in this regimented system, then our graduates no matter what, will remain unemployed. Firstly, we don't get educated according to the needs of our environment which could have enabled us to become problem solvers. Secondly, the regimented education being given to us is such that will make you ever dependent in thinking and creativity. How then can someone be employable in that regard?
In my opinion, we have to broaden our horizon and go FAR beyond what is being fed us by the school system. Let's dig deep and pursue knowledge. This is when somebody is truly educated.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by traihit: 7:28pm On Sep 17, 2018
naijacentric:

I guess there will be a national blame here. Our lecturers are only giving us what they were given. Is it not a common saying that "you can't give what you don't have"? The white man sampled down an educational system that'll make us dependent. Ours as a nation is to determine our national problems and find out unique, environmentally friendly ways of solving those problems through our education system. But we've refused to do that. The country is not developing and even the quality of the 'half-education' we've been getting is reducing.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by naijacentric(m): 8:06pm On Sep 17, 2018
traihit:

I guess there will be a national blame here. Our lecturers are only giving us what they were given. Is it not a common saying that "you can't give what you don't have"? The white man sampled down an educational system that'll make us dependent. Ours as a nation is to determine our national problems and find out unique, environmentally friendly ways of solving those problems through our education system. But we've refused to do that. The country is not developing and even the quality of the 'half-education' we've been getting is reducing.
ur very right but how come we dont regard the ones who want to put us on an independent platform i guess we are our own problem
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 17, 2018
Kewtt:
I'll tell you a story.

There's this girl who aced all her subjects in secondary school.

Not just acing but award-worthy educational success.

She was so good that at her Junior Secondary 3 (JSS 3) level, she was solving mathematical problems from Senior Secondary 1 & 2 (SS 1 & 2) curriculum.

1st Mistake

She loved Maths & computers but was admitted into the university to study Geology.

Today, she still thinks she would have been a statistics wizard if she'd been allowed to just study Math or Engineering. You know - subjects where she doesn't have to always cram some qualitative garbage but provide quantitative solutions.

2nd Mistake

When she got into the university, she realized she didn't have to study very hard. Very few people were bothering to anyway. She was extremely smart & could hold her own but it became easier to combine intellectual efforts with other students at assignments, tests & final exams.

The system allowed it.

All her friends did it so, why fight it?

3rd Mistake

While at school, no one ever taught her how to write a résumé or successfully approach interviews.

She, just like everyone around her wanted a good life but the system pretty much set them up to fail.

When she graduated, she met a professional at an international oil & gas company who asked her what she wanted to do in life & to explain her undergraduate degree experience but she was not prepared for that.

She gave answers which were weak, mostly incoherent, lacked precision or clarity.

She'd never thought of herself in that light.

The internet wasn't readily accessible back then so she was pretty much left on her own with her fellow ignorant peers.

She also had a great & supportive family who she leaned on.

Luckily for her, she got some mentors, then left the country for her masters degree.

At 1st, she struggled at her Canadian university.

Correcting her 2nd mistake

She had to actually learn all those skills & resources she didn't bother with back in Nigeria due to combined students’ efforts.

She had to read all those textbooks she never bothered with in her Nigerian university in order to excel at her program.

Correcting her 3rd mistake

She also met lecturers whose method of teaching was about empowering students to run with their ideas.

It wasn't about multiple choice questions but making a case of why Case A is better/worse than Case B.

It made her actually think for the 1st time in her life. She learned how to make great presentations. It was a confidence boost. It was exhilarating!

She learned about plagiarism which is a very despicable thing. She also learned about self-development, professional development & presentations.

She learned it was ok to make decisions, make mistakes & then learn from them.

She became comfortable working alone & also with a team. She learned the power of independence.

She was a different person.

She became more confident about her thoughts & ideas. No one laughs at her mistakes nor condemns her for them.

Her bosses don't care about always being right or barking orders at those under them. Team contributions is crucial, encouraged & needed.

Everybody is equal. No one feared anyone. It was a healthy environment. She was valued. She freely runs her program the way she sees fit.

This is my story.

There's no correcting my 1st mistake. If I ever do, I'll tell a story about it.

If you read this, you'd understand how the Nigerian system encourages laziness & might discourage talent because of envy or pride.

Many Nigerian graduates are victims of their own underdeveloped & redundant society.

Maybe with the internet, a few might self-improve. Otherwise, they're unemployable because there's very few people to teach them better.

Note to any Nigerian student reading this - don't take the easy way out. Read not just to pass your examinations but to actually know.

You'd be truly a better person & student for it.

Good luck!

smiley

Source Uche Metuh Quora
So ENGLISH LANGUAGE is now a measure of employability....??
Someone’s language for that matter...
When did MATHEMATICS become a measure of employability...
What we need in NIGERIA is simply viral industrialization.
U need to visit GUANGZHOU in CHINA, and check out those who manufacture laptops and other accessories if they know what ENGLISH is.....

U need to visit St.VENICO street in ITALY to check if those who manufacture those ITALIAN SHOES can speak English language and solve mathematics..

We are FINISHED oooooooooo
NIGERIA needs steady power supply
And Industrial revolution.
Let’s stop deceiving ourselves with those PAPERWORK RUBBISH.
Most dropouts in the US thought and came up with drones.
FACTORIES should just proliferate the way churches are proliferating, that’s all we need.
We import everything we consume here, including refined crude oil.
Several CARGO PLANES visit Nigeria on daily basis, just to offload items for the terrible consumers.

WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!.
No YOUTH is unemployable.
Even the disabled, work.

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by traihit: 9:21pm On Sep 17, 2018
naijacentric:
ur very right but how come we dont regard the ones who want to put us on an independent platform i guess we are our own problem

Exactly! We are the ones holding down ourselves. We are the one who needs to wake up and do everything independently.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by tstx(m): 10:08am On Sep 21, 2018
Including you at Op.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Shortyy(f): 10:09am On Sep 21, 2018
Nice.

I have a story of my own on my blog.

Check my signature.
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Doerstech(m): 10:10am On Sep 21, 2018
Employ yourself

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by MAJORBANKZ(m): 10:12am On Sep 21, 2018
Nice piece. I study comp sci. In one of the fed. varsity unlike me,many of my coursemates can't write a basic program, develop an app etc and we dey grad next year. So how do u expect us to fit in when the system is eroded. The idea is to keep the youths busy nothing more.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by JailBreaker(m): 10:15am On Sep 21, 2018
my goodness
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by TEYA: 10:15am On Sep 21, 2018
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 21, 2018
EVILFOREST:

So ENGLISH LANGUAGE is now a measure of employability....??
Someone’s language for that matter...
When did MATHEMATICS become a measure of employability...
What we need in NIGERIA is simply viral industrialization.
U need to visit GUANGZHOU in CHINA, and check out those who manufacture laptops and other accessories if they know what ENGLISH is.....

U need to visit St.VENICO street in ITALY to check if those who manufacture those ITALIAN SHOES can speak English language and solve mathematics..

We are FINISHED oooooooooo
NIGERIA needs steady power supply
And Industrial revolution
Let’s stop deceiving ourselves with those PAPERWORK RUBBISH.
Most dropouts in the US thought and came up with drones.
FACTORIES should just proliferate the way churches are proliferating, that’s all we need.
We import everything we consume here, including refined crude oil.
Several CARGO PLANES visit Nigeria on daily basis, just to offload items for the terrible consumers.

WAKE UP! WAKE UP!!.
No YOUTH is unemployable.
Even the disabled, work.
You're right. With favourable business environment, investors won't be scared to launch their businesses and consortium in this nation but look where we are today. ... So many businesses have packed up and relocated to other African nations, with Ghana being their most notable destination. The future looks bleak for the Nigerian "yoot".

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by goodygoodyss: 10:18am On Sep 21, 2018
very true
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by odafe94(m): 10:26am On Sep 21, 2018
True
Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 21, 2018
I observe that fear is why they won’t employ you or give you that contract people fear intelligent people and creative people because they never give up they will do the task and eye service is too much but there is hope start doing what you can and stay committed to it. It’s not that your not unemployable the companies lack vision management always assumes your gunning for their job lol

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by FrankTalk1: 10:30am On Sep 21, 2018
There are many reasons for this:

1. Our educational institutions are based more on theory instead of practical application of knowledge.

2. Our lecturers teach using outdated methods. In advanced society educational institutions use more of visual aids like videos and slides to help learning. But here lecturers just tell boring stories and give out decades - old handouts.

3. Most of our students don't develop themselves. They don't research. They wait for the schools to teach them do everything.

We use our phones for Facebook and Instagram and Twitter, instead of researching and involving personal development. We stream movies online and from YouTube instead of view educational DIY videos that will better our lives.

Most of the things I know today, I learnt from the internet , ON MY OWN using my smartphone.

See 17 INVALUABLE PRINCIPLES OF WEALTH CREATION AND CAREER SUCCESSS.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by Beta95(m): 10:35am On Sep 21, 2018
MallamAhmed:

Employment is not only about paid-employment but also about self-employment. With education and right combination of skills you can be a good emploeyer. The country has a population of about 180million people rwith needs to be met which creates employment opportunities for those who can tap into them.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Nigerian Graduates Unemployable? by sexdoll: 10:35am On Sep 21, 2018
our youths are unemployable because no one taught them to embrace entreprenuership.

entreprenuership encourages thinking outside the box and it involves lots and lots of creativity.

creativity also means being curious about things going around you and life in general coupled with asking a lot of questions.

the good thing about entreprenuership is that it creates more and more employment opportunities since it's usually all about solving problems and creating solutions.

sadly, our educational system is structured in such a way that new ideas are not entertained or encouraged with more emphasis being placed on acquiring certificates upon certificates rather than focusing on giving the students practical knowledge that will help them to become good problem solvers.

it's a vicious circle.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is This USA Conference Invitation Genuine? / What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? / Mckinsey Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.