Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,053 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg (30804 Views)

Sanwo-Olu: Lagos Metro Train To Switch To Electricity Fully From October 16 / Calabar's Monorail Shows A Glimpse Of Nigeria's Intracity Public Transit System / Nigerians Pushing A Faulty Train To Start (Video, Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by IamtheTruth1(m): 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
BOSSkesh:
Imagine the amount that was spent on this project
Only for it to lay in waste and ruins
Nigeria needs to seriously wake up
And we even borrowed money to execute this project smh can you just imagine

Wake up fire. Until we put away tribal sentiments and vote for competent individuals, hold every officer holder accountable, Nigeria won’t get better.

See people father dishing tribal insults on Nairaland and you think Nigerians have sense?
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by SpatialKing(m): 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2023
Imagine if they had borrowed the money to build the biggest seaport in Africa in Akwa Ibom.

Or revive Ajaokuta steel company
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by israelmao(m): 2:29pm On Aug 29, 2023
Buhari was a president who never had the mind of his own wherever they goaded him that was where he went.He's a president who lacked ability to think on his feet.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Macdeey: 2:30pm On Aug 29, 2023
This So called developed world knows how to manipulate our Black heart and Black belle for ourselves !!! They know that majority of blacks hate themselves and development ! So the try to play and control our stupidity and mindset 😞😞😞

The foolish average Nigerian doesn't like to hear air see anything good about Nigeria !!!
Una go soon wise up !
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Beniyke1: 2:31pm On Aug 29, 2023
Jeezuzpick:
Who takes train to Abuja airport?

Why leave my house and take an Über to the train station, then take a train to the airport when I can take the Über straight to the airport?

Why will I arrive from Lagos or overseas and start boarding train to a station, only to start looking for another vehicle to take me to my destination, when I can take a car straight there?
These people in government don't know how to source for data to use in developing infrastructure.

To please the people, first find out what the people want.
Nigerians and some kinda reasoning shaaa. First of all lots of people will take the trains to the airport if it’s functional.

The metro red line in Dubai runs through and connects the Arrivals and Departures of the three terminals of the airport, and thousands of people make use of it while traveling and when back from their travels.

For instance, If Uber from your house to the airport costs you N5,000 and same Uber from your house to the nearest metro station costs you N500, then a metro ticket from there to the Departures Terminal of the airport costs you around N200, making a total of N700, tell me why you won’t take the metro please.

People here take their cars to the metro stations in the morning, park it somewhere and take the train to work; then back with the trains in the evening, pick up their cars and go home. That’s an organized and functional society. Keeps the city less congested.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Faposky95: 2:32pm On Aug 29, 2023
Who is Buhari that he cannot be called out .. ?!
Or else nobody should call out OBJ, then...!!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by garfield1: 2:33pm On Aug 29, 2023
ezugegere:
Everything under APC is a scam. I mean everything!

Pdp that started it nko
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Ironi: 2:34pm On Aug 29, 2023
Stupidity at it’s best !
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by sulaak(m): 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2023
Hollyharjii:
One thing is to build while another thing, which is paramount is the maintenance...

The problem is building the wrong infrastructure. A railway that doesn't link the municipal centre is a wasted investment and adds no value to Nigeria. Had the investment been used to complete the Ibadan to Kano Standard Guage Railway it would have improved production and reduced the cost of food distribution.
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by onlyboyson(m): 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2023
Train to Busan
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by garfield1: 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2023
property123:
Buhari and APC's incompetence knows no bounds.

It was started by pdp
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Lawalemi(m): 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2023
Whate Buhari touch.......
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by efficiencie(m): 2:37pm On Aug 29, 2023
1Alex:
Ok

Correct bro. 99% of the world's problems are caused by governments. From the COVID pandemic to the Ukraine-Russia war. Governments will be the undoing of mankind.
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by sulaak(m): 2:37pm On Aug 29, 2023
Lovelyn451:
When a northerner is in power

The railway was started by OBJ, developed by GEJ and commissioned by Buhari.
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Hollyharjii: 2:38pm On Aug 29, 2023
You're absolutely right on this
sulaak:

The problem is building the wrong infrastructure. A railway that doesn't link the municipal centre is a wasted investment and adds no value to Nigeria. Had the investment been used to complete the Ibadan to Kano Standard Guage Railway it would have improved production and reduced the cost of food distribution.
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Greattha: 2:39pm On Aug 29, 2023
They most likely didn't do feasibility studies.

They usually embark on inefficient projects that they can use as front to loot.

It was probably an avenue for more looting hence it has served its purpose.

Jeezuzpick:

Why leave my house and take an Über to the train station, then take a train to the airport when I can take the Über straight to the airport?

Why will I arrive from Lagos or overseas and start boarding train to a station, only to start looking for another vehicle to take me to my destination, when I can take a car straight there?

These people in government don't know how to source for data to use in developing infrastructure.

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by garfield1: 2:40pm On Aug 29, 2023
brownroofpipuar:
Same thing goes with the Obudu Protea Hotel and Ranch Resort.
The APC rule to destroy system of government just destroyed that beautiful heaven, the cable cars dead, the Obudu international mountain race that brings in thousands of tourist to the country is no more, Protea has left, the cows all dead, honey mill dead, presidential reserve area covered with thick forest. All died under the government of Ben Ayade who is from same Obubu. APC is pure witchcraft

It's destruction started under imoke and by the time ayade joined apc,it was dead.so rephrase,pdp govt is evil,purely demonic and worse than apc
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by sulaak(m): 2:44pm On Aug 29, 2023
Nigeria’s Train to Nowhere Shows How Not to Build Public Transit
A light rail system in the capital shut down after less than two years in service.

By William Clowes
29 August 2023 at 05:01 BST

In July 2018, Muhammadu Buhari, the president of Nigeria at the time, boarded a gleaming new train linking the capital city, Abuja, with its airport. At the ribbon-cutting ceremony, Buhari hailed the system as “evidence that we are a government that delivers on its promises.”

Five years on, that promise looks empty. Train cars are locked away at a depot. Cavernous stations fully equipped with escalators, ticket offices, cameras and scanners stand empty, overseen by bored security guards. The faux leather couches in the VIP area are covered in bird and bat droppings. “It’s an abandoned project,” says Rowland Ataguba, an adviser to the government on rail strategy. “Quite clearly there was no plan on how to run the operations before they built it.”

The $823 million Abuja Light Rail—the first of its kind in West Africa—was closed in March 2020, ostensibly to slow the spread of the coronavirus. Since then, it’s remained shuttered, and there’s been scant progress toward a resumption of service on the 27-kilometer (17-mile) line. Meanwhile, Nigeria is spending $50 million a year paying down the project’s $500 million in loans from the Export-Import Bank of China. “The current situation is a mystery for the next minister to unravel,” says Nasir El-Rufai, who as minister in charge of the capital area signed the contract to build the railway 16 years ago. What do you expect from EL-Rufai ?

The idea was to reduce congestion, helping the city avoid the polluted, traffic-clogged fate of the country’s commercial hub, Lagos—the capital until Abuja, a city newly carved out of the savannah in central Nigeria, opened for business in 1991. From the time planning started in the 1970s, Abuja was always meant to have urban rail, but it wasn’t until 2007 that China Civil Engineering Construction Corp. won the contract for the first leg, and it took another half-decade for the government to secure sufficient funding.

“The line basically avoided where people are, where people live, where people go”

The line was intended to be the first of a half dozen in a 290-kilometer network that would connect the city to the satellite towns where many workers live. Instead, it’s become a lesson in how not to create a mass transit system, says Mohamed Lawal Shaibu of Envicons Teams Ltd., an urban planning consultant in Abuja. The problem, Shaibu says, is that the train serves areas with little demand. “It has been very terribly executed,” he says. “The line basically avoided where people are, where people live, where people go.”

At one end lies the airport, a place where most people who can afford to fly typically arrive by car. At the other end is an isolated area of the so-called Central Business District, where the road in front of the station is more often filled with herders driving cattle to grazing land than anyone headed to or from work. Out back is scrubland where people fleeing violence in the north of the country have built shacks. An additional 18 kilometers of track was built toward the suburbs but never saw any service.

The first section was conceived about two decades ago as an airport link to bolster the capital’s bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games. But after Abuja lost out to Glasgow, local officials stuck with the plan rather than adapting it to create a system that might better serve residents, according to Tonami Playman, an independent researcher who studies African public transport. “Politicians just want something to ribbon-cut and don’t care what kind of utility the infrastructure will provide,” he says.

During the 20 months the line was open, a maximum of four trains a day made the 40-minute trip between the city and the airport in each direction, making just one stop in between while breezing through five other stations. The system failed because it was “neither a high occupancy nor a high frequency service,” according to a report prepared for Japan’s development agency in 2019, which estimated daily ridership at fewer than 1,000 passengers, compared with a forecast of 34,000.

Mohammed Bello, the minister who ran the capital area under Buhari, said in October that he was working “toward the imminent resumption of operations.” That didn’t happen. Bello left his post in May when Buhari retired, and the newly elected president, Bola Tinubu, waited until Aug. 16 to name a successor. Neither Tinubu’s office nor the capital administration replied to questions about the railway.

The new minister in charge of the capital region, Nyesom Wike, on Aug. 23 toured the line and vowed that trains would be back on track within eight months. And the city has signed a $6.6 million deal with the Chinese construction company to complete repairs. The project’s defenders say once the system starts running at full throttle—whenever that might be—it will boost development along the route, and starting with a line through more densely populated areas would have been more expensive.

The main reason for the ongoing closure is damage suffered during the shutdown, according to the state-owned company appointed to run the system in May. A project manager involved in the railway says thieves have stolen crucial equipment such as communications cables, copper wiring and signaling gear, and repairing or replacing that will take at least six months once work begins.

The plan is to integrate the train with a revamped public bus service that will ferry passengers from stations to their final destinations. Until then, though, the 3.8 million residents of the fast-growing city, and millions more who live nearby, are left with few options beyond the thousands of rickety shared taxis and minibuses that ply the streets and highways.

Nigeria is notorious for grand infrastructure projects that are ill-conceived, never completed or quickly abandoned. The Ajaokuta steel mill, for instance, has swallowed $7 billion since the 1970s without ever producing a sheet, rod or coil. The government has committed billions of dollars to restoring four oil refineries that have barely produced any fuel in more than a decade. And just a couple of miles from the train’s city terminus, the 170-meter-tall Millennium Tower—intended to be a cultural complex topped with a revolving restaurant—remains unfinished 17 years after construction began.

Any significant further investment in the rail project in the near term, either providing the needed subsidies for the existing line or constructing the next one, remains unlikely. Nigeria’s government spent almost all its revenue last year on debt service, and going back to Chinese lenders is getting increasingly difficult, as the government and banks there become less generous in the face of growing domestic challenges. Six years ago the Abuja administration awarded China Civil Engineering a $1.5 billion deal to build the second phase of the train system, intended to serve busier areas, but adequate funding has yet to be lined up, leaving the project in deep freeze. “Signing a contract is one thing,” says Najeeb Abdussalam, head of the city’s public transit agency. “Raising the money is another.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2023-08-29/nigeria-s-failed-train-shows-how-not-to-build-public-transit?utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&cmpid

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by LOVEALAIGBO: 2:47pm On Aug 29, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

Most enlightening post of the thread!

They see other countries major cities airports being served by rail, and they rush to replicate such in Nigeria without thinking! The entire transportation system in these countries are highly efficient, clean, comfortable, can connect you to other rail stations all over the city and country and are integrated with other forms of transportation like buses, trams, taxis, ferries and even other airports!

Why get off a plane only to enter train that will dump you one or two stops in the middle of the city or far away from your final destination!?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Greattha: 2:48pm On Aug 29, 2023
They most likely didn't do feasibility studies. Definetly No SWOT analysis.

They usually embark on inefficient projects that they can use as front to loot.

It was probably an avenue for more looting hence it has served its purpose.

Jeezuzpick:

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by tefund(m): 2:48pm On Aug 29, 2023
Onewazobia:

Oga, it's not all about APC rather a rotten system.
An organisation of criminals disguising as politicians (all the parties). Although, Bubu was wost of hhem well, the present Gov. are not different either
Borrowing $800 million from the world bank to be shared among themself as palliative .Can you imagine that!!!!
!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by ezugegere(m): 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2023
garfield1:

Pdp that started it nko

Though PDP and APC are both evil and have done this country a great harm, APC is worst in every indices
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by brownroofpipuar: 2:51pm On Aug 29, 2023
garfield1:

It's destruction started under imoke and by the time ayade joined apc,it was dead.so rephrase,pdp govt is evil,purely demonic and worse than apc

I went to the ranch on several occasions during imoke's term and the only thing imoke put a pause on was the international mountain race which only took place three times in his tenure. Imoke's term sees the 2nd maintenance of the cable car from a company in Norway. Ayade destroyed everything plus the state water board.
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by slowice(m): 2:51pm On Aug 29, 2023
If you speak the truth they will tag you igbo, ipob, esn etc

The foundation is faulty and nothing meaningful can stand on it... Nigeria needs cleansing from top down.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by nedekid: 2:52pm On Aug 29, 2023
Hollyharjii:
One thing is to build while another thing, which is paramount is the maintenance...
How do you maintain it when it is not commercialy viable. Ie train to no where. As in it does not generate income.
Had it been naija is a rich country like eg Dubai, Qatar, na different story. Those countries can afford such wastage as they will simply create a budget for the rail, even if just 1 person rides it daily.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by sulaak(m): 2:55pm On Aug 29, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

LOVEALAIGBO:

Most enlightening post of the thread!

They see other countries major cities airports being served by rail, and they rush to replicate such in Nigeria without thinking! The entire transportation system in these countries are highly efficient, clean, comfortable, can connect you to other rail stations all over the city and country and are integrated with other forms of transportation like buses, trams, taxis, ferries and even other airports!

Why get off a plane only to enter train that will dump you one or two stops in the middle of the city or far away from your final destination!?

What is enlightened about his thread?

Metro or light railways are interoperability infrastructures designed to support other means of transport. The Lagos Red line will allow commuters from Ikorodu to travel via bus, Uber or passenger car to the local train station and Lagos Island by avoiding the 4-hour traffic. Commuting to Lagos Island will fall to 1 hour from 4 hours.
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by garfield1: 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2023
brownroofpipuar:

I went to the ranch on several occasions during imoke's term and the only thing imoke put a pause on was the international mountain race which only took place three times in his tenure. Imoke's term sees the 2nd maintenance of the cable car from a company in Norway. Ayade destroyed everything plus the state water board.

Ayade came from pdp and killed the state under pdp
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by garfield1: 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2023
ezugegere:

Though PDP and APC are both evil and have done this country a great harm, APC is worst in every indices
Pdp is worse
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Solsix(m): 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2023
Reinaldo:
While so many Nigerians are hungry, unemployed and children are out of school. Even hospitals are not well-equipped, doctors not well paid, education not adequately funded, power supply is zero. Did they borrow money for this too? How can any sane person support this. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Their supporters full here
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2023
Black Afrrican leaders for you-No brain cell!
Re: Nigeria’s Train To Nowhere Shows How Not To Build Public Transit - Bloomberg by Nolevel666: 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2023
worksmart:
It was a project initiated by the incompetent GEJ administration , which was meant to be complete well before the 2014 Commonwealth Games to help us successfully bid for the games.

Unfortunately like 99% of infrastructure projects at the time the project ground to a halt and was abandoned and PMB administration restarted and completed in 2018.

So now because it has shut down due to low patronage , does not mean it cannot be revived in the future , especially if it is linked to existing busy rail lines .

I am sure that even US where Bloomberg is based have their own share of obsolete completed "white elephant projects" but they love to find negativity in Nigeria and Africa in general.
Africa and Nigeria in particular is notorious for “white elephant projects”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Amaechi Inspects Lagos-Ibadan Rail Line, Promises Delivery By Year End (Photos) / Passengers Stranded After Bus Conductor Runs Away With Money (video) / Traffic Gridlock Hits Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Extends To 3 States (Pics, Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.