Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase (15163 Views)

Hundreds Of Anambra State Traders Protest Against Planned Demolition Of Shops / Reps Ask NERC To Suspend Planned Electricity Tariff Hike / Unions Protest Against Planned Concession Of Four Airports (photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by LegallyBlunt: 11:59pm On Aug 31, 2023
undecided
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by Aolfooties(m): 12:39am On Sep 01, 2023
Everything keeps getting costlier.

Check my signature for quality made in Nigeria footwears.
Buy 2 shoes, get 1 free slide. Offer ends in 6 weeks. What's app 08111 thirty fifty 81
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by YoungmcCoy56: 12:40am On Sep 01, 2023
It's Better they Kick against it Because the Country is getting worse on a daily Basis

meanwhile check out the Moment JayJay Okocha prove Himself to the World that makes the white respect Black Players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDsu53S2Aag?si=KxrFJnS7s5N9Rfde
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by kkulaja(m): 12:41am On Sep 01, 2023
I wonder why they cannot make these kind of stories brief and straight to the point,
Why must it be epistle
Is it hard to express urselfs in summary
All these lengthy talks rarely have effects from my observation so far
Like one is giving too many reasons to both parties to do and undo.
Icannotreaditabeg
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by emmyN(m): 12:42am On Sep 01, 2023
nairalanda1:
I always laugh when I see people call on the companies to reduce their prices for poor people.

Like, suppose I call on the engineers to reduce their fees so that more poor people can afford their servicies. Dem go shout 'no way' tire.

We have a running internet system, and telephony system because at the end of the day, GSM companies were allowed to set their prices. We have a bad power system, because at the end of the day, government sets their prices to low because 'the poor have to breathe'. And 40% of customers do not pay for the light they use. Yes, including meter holders who bypass the thing, and enjoy free power.

At the end if we want 24 hours power, we better pay for 24 hours power, or forget about it.

The discos are overcharging for light they are not distributing. Many people spend as much as 50,000 in a month just to have power in their houses at night. Others spend more. That amount could easily give them 24/7 power if the discos cared to discharge their duties. They won't do this because they are profiting from the present estimated billings.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by nnamdi640: 12:45am On Sep 01, 2023
Honestly, this APC regime is one chance. Is it every three months the increase electricity tariffs. I just pity their supporters.
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by jamesversion: 12:47am On Sep 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

You are from Owerri, Imo state and you have multiple 'Lagos' monikers you use to impersonate real Lagosians and spew hate.

Please don't derail this thread with your shenanigans. This is a thread for educated folks with the elitist education that address technical areas of governance and govt. policies. Please rest your toxic politics, criminal defamation, cyberbullying and bigotry.

Where are you from, it doesn't matter if the state is poor, just mention it.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by jaytimeo: 1:13am On Sep 01, 2023
Flawed low one way thinking and analysis, does it ever occurred to you that politicians ,MDAs can cut cost and subsidize some critical services for the people to boost her economy,Nigeria government is bullying her citizens to surrender because they are too weak and docile to rise against their tyranny.

Just take a look at the type of cars our politicians and MDAs top management use as personal and official cars they are always the recent up to date and most expensive do people with wrecked economy in a poor country drive such kind of cars ?if you think you should let the politicians lead by example all this opulence and extravagant lifestyle is sustained at the expense of the masses.

What services would you say as Nigerians do we enjoy yet we pay taxes can we go to a bank to get loan to go green as obtainable in other countries?can we get loan to go solar ? This is plain bully on the citizens by their or our government.

nairalanda1:
I always laugh when I see people call on the companies to reduce their prices for poor people.

Like, suppose I call on the engineers to reduce their fees so that more poor people can afford their servicies. Dem go shout 'no way' tire.

We have a running internet system, and telephony system because at the end of the day, GSM companies were allowed to set their prices. We have a bad power system, because at the end of the day, government sets their prices to low because 'the poor have to breathe'. And 40% of customers do not pay for the light they use. Yes, including meter holders who bypass the thing, and enjoy free power.

At the end if we want 24 hours power, we better pay for 24 hours power, or forget about it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by valonsoft(m): 1:58am On Sep 01, 2023
We no just want the poor to breathe in this Country again.

Please help out a brother by downloading my new game linked to my signature abeg
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by Luna65: 2:06am On Sep 01, 2023
Good morning everyone..God bless you all

Buy airtime(MTN,glo,airtel,9mobile) and internet data effortlessly.

Please reach me on whatsapp 07063611463

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by chopnaira: 2:18am On Sep 01, 2023
001Lagos:

I am Lagos blood

Stop calling everyone that didn't support Tinubu bad policies Igbo
But you are 100% Igbo.
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by Dchair2: 2:20am On Sep 01, 2023
nairalanda1:

We hear you! The one we have been paying for over the years, we did not get. Your write up would have made better sense if we had received in the past even to this present hour what we paid and are paying for

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by emmaitive(m): 2:35am On Sep 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
NSE recommended that the NERC should ensure that licensees are only allowed prudent and justifiable cost escalation, as the ‘pass-through’ costs only, noting that they should be made to look inwards and reduce their expenses on operational line items.
The NSE listed the items as: Payment for technical partners, payment for consultants, payment for vending services/ billing and collections as well as looking into its over-bloated payroll. tiefnubu don use this one for r
It also accused the Discos of making payment for concession services that the staff can provide as well as making heavy management and board expenses.

They are doing over-invoicing. Simple. That's a financial crime.

Shakara of the Discos don end.Smh

So while they were threatening us with tariff hike, they can not defend or justify tariff hike yet for years, FG under PDP's Yardua-Goodluck administration started with Multi-Year Tariff Order ( MYTO) and kept paying money to them as electricity subsidies until now that Asiwaju Tinubu moved against subsidies.

This is a brilliant and patriotic service the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) is undertaking and I am very proud of them. They must not relent and push for refunds if possible.

This is how patriots with elitist education should use their elitist education to engage Intelligently and suggest credible alternatives.

NSE must go one step further to petition the Federal Executive Council to report this inefficiency and economic sabotage and report to EFCC and Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria so that the whole industry and regulators will be scrutinised and audited like presently being done with CBN.

Some people may need to go to jail for this blackmail of customers with unjustified tariff hike to stop. The NA should criminalise what the DISCOs are reportedly doing by deliberately padding their overheads and criminal over invoicing.

Please stay off this thread if you are incapable of engaging intellectually. This is to lend our voice in support of NSE and not an invite to the mob of cyberbullies, liars, criminal defamers and bigots. Check my signature for free stuffs!

tiefnubu zombie spotted

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by fineboynl(m): 2:51am On Sep 01, 2023
I said it before the last time they did increase the tariff.

What I said it will not be long this people will come up again with another increase.

My reason was that the increase was not base of value other than inflation and all that.

It will not be long because the inflation will bounce back to them within a few days and they will want another increase again.

When you make increase. Other business and service will also make increase to realities. That previous increase you made will no longer be sustainable. So there for you will want another increase and if approved. Others will want an increase again and it will bounce back to you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by Jostoman: 3:00am On Sep 01, 2023
001Lagos:

I am Lagos blood

Stop calling everyone that didn't support Tinubu bad policies Igbo
whoever doesnt support their lagos landlord is igbo very pathetic people.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by erniok(m): 3:09am On Sep 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
NSE recommended that the NERC should ensure that licensees are only allowed prudent and justifiable cost escalation, as the ‘pass-through’ costs only, noting that they should be made to look inwards and reduce their expenses on operational line items.
The NSE listed the items as: Payment for technical partners, payment for consultants, payment for vending services/ billing and collections as well as looking into its over-bloated payroll.
It also accused the Discos of making payment for concession services that the staff can provide as well as making heavy management and board expenses.

So while they were threatening us with tariff hike, they can not defend or justify tariff hike yet for years, FG under PDP's Yardua-Goodluck administration started with Multi-Year Tariff Order ( MYTO) and kept paying money to them as electricity subsidies until now that Asiwaju Tinubu moved against subsidies.

This is a brilliant and patriotic service the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) is undertaking and I am very proud of them. They must not relent and push for refunds if possible.

This is how patriots with elitist education should use their elitist education to engage Intelligently and suggest credible alternatives.

NSE must go one step further to petition the Federal Executive Council to report this inefficiency and economic sabotage and report to EFCC and Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria so that the whole industry and regulators will be scrutinised and audited like presently being done with CBN.

Some people may need to go to jail for this blackmail of customers with unjustified tariff hike to stop. The NA should criminalise what the DISCOs are reportedly doing by deliberately padding their overheads and criminal over invoicing.

Please stay off this thread if you are incapable of engaging intellectually. This is to lend our voice in support of NSE and not an invite to the mob of cyberbullies, liars, criminal defamers and bigots. Check my signature for free stuffs!

I agree with you totally. Seems this is the 1st time NSE is being invited if I'm not wrong. I have always believed NSE should be critical stakeholders in nation building even as technical adviser to the government. So many ills perpetuated by govt officals would have not seen the light of the day and we would have made progress as a nation.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by blaise26abj(m): 3:10am On Sep 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
The NSE listed the items as: Payment for technical partners, payment for consultants, payment for vending services/ billing and collections as well as looking into its over-bloated payroll.

That is why Elumelu is buying AEDC . Increase in electricity tariff . Now that said , i think our leaders are mostly mentally unstable. Farida waziri ,
Former Efcc chairwoman, was very right . They need psychiatric evaluation . Do you know that if you buy a transformer because a distribution company is taking months to deliver , that transformer belongs to them by law ? How do you reward incompetencies like that ? Imagine always going late to work and the company promotes you regardless . Our leaders need constant psychiatric evaluation .

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by arantess: 3:34am On Sep 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
You have opened a new moniker. Smh. How is Owerri today? Please don't derail this thread.
It's queer when you claim to be an intellectual but accuse every opposing voice as Igbo person. Nigeria has over 250 tribes, but I'm sure you know that....or maybe not

Where is the Intelligence?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by arantess: 3:36am On Sep 01, 2023
ImoleNaija:

What a double-tongued f..l undecided
He has said here before that his mother is Igbo and father Yoruba .......just like GRV

Will you call him Omo ale too?
Or he is not Yoruba enough?

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by arantess: 3:42am On Sep 01, 2023
blaise26abj:

That is why Elumelu is buying AEDC . Increase in electricity tariff . Now that said , i think our leaders are mostly mentally unstable. Farida waziri ,
Former Efcc chairwoman, was very right . They need psychiatric evaluation . Do you know that if you buy a transformer because a distribution company is taking months to deliver , that transformer belongs to them by law ? How do you reward incompetencies like that ? Imagine always going late to work and the company promotes you regardless . Our leaders need constant psychiatric evaluation .
Farida herself was a substance user

It's well known in their circles

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by blaise26abj(m): 3:47am On Sep 01, 2023
arantess:

Farida herself was a substance user

It's well known in their circles

Birds of a feather . Lol .
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by FireUpNow(m): 4:05am On Sep 01, 2023
This govt of Tinubu knows nothing order than to hike electricity tarrifs, rule pump price, car registration, cost foods and all. Tinubu just want to recoup the billions he spent in the election still those who are so blind to see beyond their nose see nothing wrong in all his policies. I just pity this country. Tinubu has no strategy at all and he is a big failure. Is he alright at all? I don't think so. Those who supported yo are all welcome to reality. Enjoy your stupid support for tribe man
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by nairalanda1(m): 4:26am On Sep 01, 2023
Dchair2:

We hear you! The one we have been paying for over the years, we did not get. Your write up would have made better sense if we had received in the past even to this present hour what we paid and are paying for

Yes,because what we have been paying before was not market price, and again, remember what I said about people who do not pay for the power they consume.

I hate saying this, but if you cannot make a decent profit, you won't be able to pay for improvements and other things. There is the reason why we don't always have light.

If you ran a business and 40 percent of your customers did not pay you PLUS....government was setting your pricesto make sure the poor get favoured, you would soon be out of business

It is happening with the DISCOS. 3 of them have gone out of business because of the issue. The Banks now run them
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by nairalanda1(m): 4:31am On Sep 01, 2023
jaytimeo:
Flawed low one way thinking and analysis, does it ever occurred to you that politicians ,MDAs can cut cost and subsidize some critical services for the people to boost her economy,Nigeria government is bullying her citizens to surrender because they are too weak and docile to rise against their tyranny.

Just take a look at the type of cars our politicians and MDAs top management use as personal and official cars they are always the recent up to date and most expensive do people with wrecked economy in a poor country drive such kind of cars ?if you think you should let the politicians lead by example all this opulence and extravagant lifestyle is sustained at the expense of the masses.

What services would you say as Nigerians do we enjoy yet we pay taxes can we go to a bank to get loan to go green as obtainable in other countries?can we get loan to go solar ? This is plain bully on the citizens by their or our government.

1.I am not opposed to us going solar.

2.Also, the government no longer runs distribution and generation of power, and even the transmission that it runs is dependent on revenue generated from distributuin and generation

3. The cold issue is that because government sets the prices of discos, they cannot access loans from the banks.....because banks always want to see their money back. (Someone like a Dangote was able to get loans from banks because he has lucrative businesses that the banks can take over if he does not pay back on time...).

4. Well, there is the Siemens deal...which may do something a bit. But it won't improve supply by any means. We need to be generating something around 50000 MW before we can talk about good supply of power.

5. The simple point is....if your business had its prices set by government, AND a certain percentage of customers were NOT paying you...how would you make a profit to fix things. Plus, government no longer funds power like before.
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by LegacyB: 4:33am On Sep 01, 2023
001Lagos:

There is nothing elitist about you. You're well known as the chief propagandist on Tinubu N30K pay roll . . I will keep bursting every lies that you churn out on this forum with the truth.
Bros keep quiet them don catch you. But note you can critique the government’s bad policies as any tribe. Poverty doesn’t have a tribe. But pls be honest.
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by nairalanda1(m): 4:34am On Sep 01, 2023
emmyN:

The discos are overcharging for light they are not distributing. Many people spend as much as 50,000 in a month just to have power in their houses at night. Others spend more. That amount could easily give them 24/7 power if the discos cared to discharge their duties. They won't do this because they are profiting from the present estimated billings.

That may seem like overcharging to you, but the hard fact is, it isn't enough (You see why we are a poor country?)

DISCOS are doing their best....but the thing is, they are forced to sell at a loss, and then they get paid a subsidy that barely covers that loss.

Then about 30-40% of their customers do not pay for the power they use.

Under such circumstances, there is no way they can give you light 24 hours. Even you, if you ran such a business , you won't make enough to break even. DISCOS also don't have a magic pot of money that yields money wherever whenever.
Re: Why Nigerian Engineers Kick Against Planned Electricity Tariffs Increase by Frezhkid10(m): 4:34am On Sep 01, 2023
nairalanda1:

If you had read and digested the article then you will understand that the NSE are not against price increment but against the non transparency and inefficiency of the discos.
We should bear the brunt for their inefficiency.
They fulfil their end of previous agreement before coming out for price increase.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suswam Pulls-out Of Northern Governors Forum / Jonathan Visits Emir Of Dutse During PDP Campaign Rally in Jigawa (Photos) / Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.