Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,027 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! (4757 Views)

Which Football Player Made You To Start Watching Football? / The Ultimate Reason Why Football Is Wayy Better Than Soccer / American Football Is Better Than Soccer! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:42pm On Oct 16, 2011
Skii:

@OP, you comments and the possibly long thread that might follow will be clearly like many other arguements on NL. it typifies the usual format, one persons opinion with a biased point of view that will trigger responses with individual bais with facts and figures all mulled up together

In an attempt to get back to your post though,

For instance, CRonaldo is one in a million footballer with such attributes. There are players like Kaka (reputed Born-Again Christians), Kanu Nwankwo (running a heart foundation) for that mattter who live saner lifestyles

The fact that we have young people who are turning to football is no fault of the young people IMO, its largely due to the failure of government to provide alternatives. just look at the mess called Nigeria as it is now.schools and all? We also have young people turning to music and acting too you know.

Sports, football in particular, is a form of relaxation, both for the players and the spectators! Except you generally don't have an appreciation of/for sport. Why football so popular?In general it continues to receive growing popularity with the successes it records on and off the pitch.

Off the pitch, Fashola once made a comment about football encompassing nearly all professions. From the lawyers who perfect the contracts, to the mass communicators who do radio and television commemtary to the camera men on ground, the police and security, the engineering of the stadiums, the medical teams of the teams that consists of doctors, physiotherapists, food nutritionists and so on, to the tailors of the sportswear giants that make jerseys, the accountants you name it.the list is endless. Think about it. FOOTBALL PAYS

On the pitch, infact, i'll leave that to other die hard football fans to help me out

I sincerely appreciate some methodical and rational ripostes to my dogma. But I still don't understand what the obsession is all about.
I am not yet convinced.
What maddens me most is the outrageous pay these lads get for doing absolutely nothing. I reiterate nothing.
Or can anyone/thing justify their humongous pay?
It is stupefying!

1 Like

Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 16, 2011
na wa for this guy, all dis big big grammar just to say u no understand how footballer's commitment, skills and brilliance dey generate passion and love for their followers,
y u no abuse beyonce fans join, or nigerian obama fans, hw obama victory carry concern dem?

pple go like things, and if u feel that a sport that generates so much money for a lot of pple is crap, my brother, go hug the nearest palm tree.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:48pm On Oct 16, 2011
rokiatu:

Oh my!!! My bf needs to see this thread.

He will even forsake food for football.

You may need to take your boy friend to Mountain of Fire for deliverance.
Or don't you deem it pertinent?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:57pm On Oct 16, 2011
musKeeto:

na wa for this guy, all dis big big grammar just to say u no understand how footballer's commitment, skills and brilliance dey generate passion and love for their followers,
y u no abuse beyonce fans join, or nigerian obama fans, hw obama victory carry concern dem?

pple go like things, and if u feel that a sport that generates so much money for a lot of pple is crap, my brother, go hug the nearest palm tree.
Generate which money? Tell me.
Football is a cankerworm that has eaten deep into the fabrics of vacuous youths.
Those days in high school, some sneak out just to go and watch it, only to scale the fence and come back around 10pm. All to the detriment of their studies.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Babamide(m): 8:00pm On Oct 16, 2011
@Serendipity, i think you are g.a.y. What are your hobbies?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Nobody: 8:04pm On Oct 16, 2011
Serendipity:

Generate which money? Tell me.

Proof I just wasted 5 mins of my life on an idiot,
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 8:07pm On Oct 16, 2011
musKeeto:

Proof I just wasted 5 mins of my life on an idiot,

Was the above my full riposte?

Oh! Sorry, I had forgotten that I don't converse with striplings.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 8:13pm On Oct 16, 2011
fexlist:

It's d number 1 sport. Even futuball is so greate that the government of a country include it in its budget.
Of course we all know how grossly irresponsible our government are. Coupled with the fact that many live large from the so-called budget.
So why won't every gibberish be included in the specious budget?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 8:14pm On Oct 16, 2011
fexlist:

It's d number 1 sport. Even futuball is so greate that the government of a country include it in its budget.
Of course we all know how grossly irresponsible our government are. Coupled with the fact that many live large from the so-called budget.
So why won't every gibberish be included in the specious budget?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 16, 2011
Serendipity:

Sorry, as a rule I don't converse with striplings.
Who does?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 8:20pm On Oct 16, 2011
Babamide:

@Serendipity, i think  you are g.a.y. What are your hobbies?
What has being gay or not got to do with the discourse?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 8:26pm On Oct 16, 2011
yulad:

Serendipity, I think you have a point. Most of these gung-ho football fans should get a life away from the screen. But seriously, that is their own headache.
Don't mind them.
Let them continue being engrossed with another person's business.
''MONKEY dey play and get his cash while baboon they watch in stupidity, gaining nothing'.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 8:30pm On Oct 16, 2011
yulad:

Serendipity, I think you have a point. Most of these gung-ho football fans should get a life away from the screen. But seriously, that is their own headache.
Don't mind them.
Let them continue being engrossed with another person's business.
''MONKEY dey play and get his cash while baboon they watch in stupidity, gaining nothing'.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 8:31pm On Oct 16, 2011
deolu2000:

@poster:something tells me you follow ftbll for you to know there are 22 players and most especially that C. Ronaldo has 28 girlfriends when i that am a huge fan never knew.you don't like something doesn't mean other should hate it also,so i suggest you get smthg doing than coming here to pour your economy problems on football.
I'm not asking for too much.
All I need are good reasons:
*why I should know the names of those footballers and how much they are worth.
*reasons why I should know which club that will play against another.
*reasons why I should spend 5 minutes in front of the TV watching people running about in the field and being sad all day just because my supposed favourite team were defeated.
I just want someone to tell me how his life has been enriched by watching football.
That's all!

1 Like

Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by texazzpete(m): 8:49pm On Oct 16, 2011
yulad:

Most football fans in Nigeria watch football only 2 days a week, Saturday and Sunday. And that's just for a few hours!

The 'get a life away from the screen' is rather foolish, don't you think?

Serendipity:

You are just trolling and and haven't answered my question.
Don't be churlish

LMAO! Look who's talking about trolling!
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by morraty: 9:03pm On Oct 16, 2011
@OP. Before you understand smthing, you must know how the thing works. I put it to you that you didnt have the opportunity to knock a footie around. Sorry, blame the right people. And more importantly one man's meat is another man's ,
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 9:46pm On Oct 16, 2011
morraty:

@OP. Before you understand smthing, you must know how the thing works. I put it to you that you didnt have the opportunity to knock a footie around. Sorry, blame the right people. And more importantly one man's meat is another man's ,
Just spare me all these.
Could please answer my questions?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by jephiano: 10:42pm On Oct 16, 2011
@ OP really wat gives u d right to pontificate about wat anoda human finds joy in? Last nite i watched messi do some incredible things wit d ball at his feet, i was amazed at d abilities iniesta exhibited and i thoroughly enjoyed watchin d football game. IT GAVE ME SO MUCH PLEASURE!! I dont care how much dey earn but tuesday and wednesday, i would watch all d games i can catch because i enjoy seein dese guys do wat dey do, simple , or maybe not because u make it seem like im xplainin colour to a guy born blind.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by mikron(m): 10:45pm On Oct 16, 2011
@OP are u  ok? As in psychologically? If u dont like football pls keep it to urslf. I love football die and i believe i am not alone in this. Maybe ur love lies with other sports.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by 4reigningqueen: 10:46pm On Oct 16, 2011
@op people are not really interested in the ACT but the ART in the ACT.anybody can kick anything but not everybody can play football.anybody can talk but not everybody can pass a message tru songs hence the followership musicians have.people respect people who do things they cant do.so dnt judge wot u dnt really understand.am sure u ve things dat givs u pleasure.i do also smh wenever i see people watchin wrestling.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Dgunnerz(m): 10:59pm On Oct 16, 2011
Football brings Joy to some people(including me,myself and I alone) and brings Sadness(or something close to that) to the OP!So Pathetic!
I am sure there is something that brings you Joy!Well,if there is none,I simply recommend that you start watching Cricket,CheSs or you give Badminton a trial!
Now I believe that;"one man's food is another man's poison".

@OP,I wish you find something that brings you Joy ASAP!

Is it everything that brings you Joy also brings you money?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by dabrake(m): 11:02pm On Oct 16, 2011
Futball has always been a unifying factor in 9ja. Itz only in football where if ahmed musa scores, 9ja pple go say '9ja don score'. U no go hear 'boko.haram/almajiri don score'. Instead of u promotin d game wrt 2 national unity, u dey hia dey seek attention. Abegi go kip ur self bizzy jooh. Drawin actor and boss wuld b a bera way 2 kill idleness
vincent_09:

@op This should be one of the best post in NL.
or the dumbest?
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by 2goodbobo(m): 7:11am On Oct 17, 2011
football is second to religion.so if you cant beat it, then join the game.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:28am On Oct 17, 2011
Dgunnerz:

Football brings Joy to some people(including me,myself and I alone) and brings Sadness(or something close to that) to the OP!So Pathetic!
I am sure there is something that brings you Joy!Well,if there is none,I simply recommend that you start watching Cricket,CheSs or you give Badminton a trial!
Now I believe that;"one man's food is another man's poison".

@OP,I wish you find something that brings you Joy ASAP!

Is it everything that brings you Joy also brings you money?
4reigningqueen:

@op people are not really interested in the ACT but the ART in the ACT.anybody can kick anything but not everybody can play football.anybody can talk but not everybody can pass a message tru songs hence the followership musicians have.people respect people who do things they cant do.so dnt judge wot u dnt really understand.am sure u ve things dat givs u pleasure.i do also smh wenever i see people watchin wrestling.
jephiano:

@ OP really wat gives u d right to pontificate about wat anoda human finds joy in? Last nite i watched messi do some incredible things wit d ball at his feet, i was amazed at d abilities iniesta exhibited and i thoroughly enjoyed watchin d football game. IT GAVE ME SO MUCH PLEASURE!! I dont care how much dey earn but tuesday and wednesday, i would watch all d games i can catch because i enjoy seein dese guys do wat dey do, simple , or maybe not because u make it seem like im xplainin colour to a guy born blind.
Everyone shouting pleasure, joy. Haba!
I really pity some of you.
Some are talking rubbish just in a desperate bid to defend their unaccountable and inordinate obsession with football.
That nothwithstanding,
It is admissible to be watching football occasionally, just like some do.
But it is ethically untenable to be engrossed with it, especially to one's detriment.
For instance, a guy in my vicinity graduated, after looking for job without any, he settled for a sachet milk producing company, where he is given a pittance.
He goes to work in the morning, comes back in the evening only to end up either running to the field with his boot or going to a centre where he is glued to the TV with other visionless folks.
Consider the difference it would have made, if he were to be using most of this time being spent frivously in self development.
I mean his condition doesn't even touch him.
Maybe it does but just that he can't help himself having developed a bad habit.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:31am On Oct 17, 2011
2goodbobo:

football is second to religion.so if you cant beat it, then join the game.
It's not about joining it but I need motivation and incentive.
What do I stand to gain watching dullards play and get enormous pay just for doing less.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:40am On Oct 17, 2011
mikron:

@OP are u  ok? As in psychologically? If u dont like football pls keep it to urslf. I love football die and i believe i am not alone in this. Maybe your love lies with other sports.
You are a wuss to have been daft in relaying that you love football die and that you know you are not alone in this.
So because you aren't alone, does it justify it.
Those that patronise prostitutes are they alone? Does the fact that they aren't alone justify their ignominous action?
And sorry, I was to ask the address of that local and quack psychiatrist that treated you.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:41am On Oct 17, 2011
mikron:

@OP are u  ok? As in psychologically? If u dont like football pls keep it to urslf. I love football die and i believe i am not alone in this. Maybe your love lies with other sports.
You are a wuss to have been daft in relaying that you love football die and that you know you are not alone in this.
So because you aren't alone, does it justify it.
Those that patronise prostitutes are they alone? Does the fact that they aren't alone justify their ignominous action?
And sorry, I was to ask the address of that local and quack psychiatrist that treated you.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Matinho: 7:44am On Oct 17, 2011
Poster,
Its totally understandable that everyone has the right to express himself but even from the discussion topic ,as a medical practitioner i ll raise questions to find out if you are cerebrally healthy.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:45am On Oct 17, 2011
That nothwithstanding,
It is admissible to be watching football occasionally, just like some do.
But it is ethically untenable to be engrossed with it, especially to one's detriment.
For instance, a guy in my vicinity graduated, after looking for job without any, he settled for a sachet milk producing company, where he is given a pittance.
He goes to work in the morning, comes back in the evening only to end up either running to the field with his boot or going to a centre where he is glued to the TV with other visionless folks.
Consider the difference it would have made, if he were to be using most of this time being spent frivously in self development.
I mean his condition doesn't even touch him.
Maybe it does but just that he couldn't help himself having developed a bad habit.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:58am On Oct 17, 2011
Matinho:

Poster,
Its totally understandable that everyone has the right to express himself but even from the discussion topic ,as a medical practitioner i ll raise questions to find out if you are cerebrally healthy.
Those that are pricked by the plausibility of my assertions are now, out of desperation, looking for the nearest transformer to hug.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Serendipity: 7:59am On Oct 17, 2011
Matinho:

Poster,
Those that are pricked by the plausibility of my assertions are now, out of desperation, looking for the nearest transformer to hug.
Re: Watching Football Is Nothing But Sheer Tomfoolery! by Contumely: 8:02am On Oct 17, 2011
@Op, I think u have a point there, what I am against is people watching it too much.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

For Those Searching For Sure Soccer Odds I Want To Share With You The Best Tips / Winning Daily With Unfailing 7 Odds - See Photos / Maximum Payout Now N1.5m On Bet9ja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.