Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,223 members, 7,825,848 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Why You Should Consider Poultry Production - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why You Should Consider Poultry Production (14205 Views)

Crisis Hits Nigerian Maize Supply, To Affect Poultry Production Negatively / Poultry : Organic Poultry Production Whatsapp Training / A Comprehensive Business Plan And Feasibility Study For Poultry Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by YoungDaNaval(m): 11:20am On Sep 12, 2023
Also remember to tell us about the risk involved

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by SyrusdeHansome(m): 11:23am On Sep 12, 2023
When i remember how more than 500 of my dad's birds died in a space of one week i'm scared of venturing into poultry farming

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by jmoore(m): 11:23am On Sep 12, 2023
Anyone advising you now to enter poultry business is a bad adviser.

7 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by ednut1(m): 11:24am On Sep 12, 2023
Op do you have your own poultry

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by SonOfDSoil01: 11:32am On Sep 12, 2023
Has much as i want to agree to what the ops has stated and i will also want to thank him for encouraging people specifically the youth to venture into farming, i will also want you to enlighting us also about the challenges being faced today by the high inflation in poultry feed.

I am also a livestock farmer and also have a poultry farm basically in egg production but this is a big challenge for many of livestock farmers out there with the rising cost of feed and there seem to be no end in sight.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by sylve11: 11:32am On Sep 12, 2023
Hmmm cool
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TongueTwista(m): 11:36am On Sep 12, 2023
YoungDaNaval:

This is a resultant effect of one of two things:

- contaminated feed or poisoned water.
- expired vaccination vials or medications.

It's however a rare occurrence. And for the entire stock to have been this affected, human negligence played a part.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by hartopher76: 11:38am On Sep 12, 2023
Which feeds do you think is the best in the market?
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by professore(m): 11:45am On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:
I created this account so as to give practical steps to break into the Poultry Industry in Nigeria. I have seen posts/ threads about poultry production here on Nairaland, but I am yet to see threads that have given hands-on practical approach on how you can raise poultry birds- Broilers, layers and others, without fear of losing your money.

This thread will be updated from time to time. It will be some kind of place where you, as a budding farmer or someone who wants to take a chance in this industry, can go to, to get a tip or two, so as to be on track in whatever activity you are engaged in.

It will be a mixture of Practical as well as Theoritical Steps to keep you in the game.

My name is TheFarmer1. I have been in the poultry business for about 4 years and i am more than willing to give you what you need to succeed in this endeavor.
what is the least capital one can invest in this business with? Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by GreaterFuture(m): 11:47am On Sep 12, 2023
Ok...
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by AmeLonRo(m): 11:53am On Sep 12, 2023
Because it is a good venture. Start small and learn the ropes then expamd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV7scM9NXDQ

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Abaniwealth(f): 11:55am On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:
I like to be very practical and feasible. Not everybody have N2,000,000 or more to start a poultry farm or business. Some people have less that N100,000 to kickstart the journey. The question is, is that N100,000 or N50,000 enough to start something? That is the question. I say YES. N50,000 can start you off on a journey that can rake in millions over time. Poultry Production isn't a Ponzi scheme, neither is it a get rich quick kind of business. You can get rich. Yes! You can become quite rich but it does take determination to get there.

It takes time too. Yes. A lot of time, I must say. It actually takes time and patience to hit it. You practically watch these animals grow from day 1 till the day you feel you are ready to make some money out of them. If you are the type that can't be patient, maybe this business isn't for you. Trust me.

Keep an eye on this thread. More to come...
please this is my number 08064811410.. I am dam interested in rearing a broiler infact I have started but I need someone to educate me more.. Though I started with not less than 60,000.
Please what app me sir..
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by olab059(m): 11:58am On Sep 12, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:
When i remember how more than 500 of my dad's birds died in a space of one week i'm scared of venturing into poultry farming

Whoa! 500 is a lot. When I lost like 10 in a week, I knew how I felt.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by tishbite42: 11:59am On Sep 12, 2023
YoungDaNaval:
God cry
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Gentlesoul2021(m): 12:03pm On Sep 12, 2023
I am following this thread for future reference...

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Abaniwealth(f): 12:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:
Now that you have placed an order for your favorite broiler and you have a verified arrival date, what you need to do next is to set your brooder up for welcoming the birds. The arrival day is usually a day filled with all manner of expectations. First, if you are expecting the birds from a distant hachery, what happens if you open the carton and find out that you have 5 dead birds out of the 51 birds you expect in a carton? What happens if you find out that a good number of the birds in your carton are down with some kind of paralysis? What happens if the bus carrying your consignment is involved in some kind of accident?

This is the reason why I said that the arrival day is filled with a lot of expectations. This is also the reason why you must buy from a verified vendor. That way, you know who to hold responsible if your birds don't arrive in one piece.
sir,pls what if I have in mind for rearing them for 6 wks and u sale them off..how many bags of feeds can one buy at 6wks.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Shampoo77: 12:10pm On Sep 12, 2023
Poultry, a suicide vocation.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Freksy(m): 12:15pm On Sep 12, 2023
jmoore:
Anyone advising you now to enter poultry business is a bad adviser.

It will be bad too if you advise anyone to eat chicken and eggs now.

School has resumed, soon demand for egg will surge.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TenQ: 12:16pm On Sep 12, 2023
Beautiful writeup you have here.

Can you please post the picture of a broiler at 3 weeks and that at 9weeks?

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Abaniwealth(f): 12:17pm On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:
Experience has shown me that the survivability of day old chicks tend to increase if they are raised from DAY 1 on a platform that can only be accessed using your hands. We tend to wash our hands more often than our feet or legs, making our hands cleaner, to a large extent, than our feet. When you raise day old chicks on the ground, you have to walk into the brooder, making it very, very easy to spread diseases that can easily kill those young birds. On the flipside, when you raise these birds on a raised platform, you only access the birds using just your hands.
You get the gist now, right?

Most times you should have 100% survivability in the brooder if you follow this method.
Sir how much can one sale it at 6wks.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TenQ: 12:17pm On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1

Can you please post the picture of a broiler at 3 weeks and that at 9weeks?

Thanks
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TenQ: 12:17pm On Sep 12, 2023
Dear TheFarmer1

Can you please post the picture of a broiler at 3 weeks and that at 9 weeks?

Thanks
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by tonididdy(m): 12:18pm On Sep 12, 2023
Na WA oh

All this write up for chicken ....
How much is a full chicken in Nigeria?
Here it's only 1000 to max 4500 naira depend on size
Growing up we bought little chicks, fed them corn and water and by December it's be dutty!
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by tonididdy(m): 12:19pm On Sep 12, 2023
YoungDaNaval:
I think this was due to flooding

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Ceejay501: 12:36pm On Sep 12, 2023
pls drop your contact number
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Dadatao1998: 12:38pm On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:
Now that your birds have arrived and have taken in glucose water for at least an hour, introduce the nutritious broiler super starter feed into their feeder. For 100 birds, you need to have between 8-10 feeders and 4 drinkers. These will be enough to ensure the birds have unrestricted access to food and water.

Closely monitor them intermittently. Look out for birds that aren't drinking. Dip their beak into the drinker. This will give them a headstart to take in water. While you do all these, make sure you sustain the heat coming from your heat source. Place the heat source in a central place so that the warmth can circulate evenly. Monitor your brooder temperature using the thermometer. Temperature should range between 34-37 degree celcius. If you don't have a thermometer, closely look at the birds. If they are crowded together and making chirpy sounds, it means that the heat isn't enough. You may have to increase warmth. If they are evenly spread out, it means the temperature is good enough. If alternatively the birds are dispersed to corners of the brooder, panting and aren't feeding and drinking, it means the temperature is too high and you must reduce the heat.

Whatever you do within the first 24 hours of the arrival of the birds goes a long way in determining if you will have a successful brooding or not.
Hello, please i am interested in chicken production ( broilers and layers.
I just want to start small by constructing cage and rearing them in the cage.
I need guidelines on how to go about it, you can reach me on : Zero Eight 1 2 -one 9 eight twenty-two 9 seven
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by obinna58(m): 12:38pm On Sep 12, 2023
TongueTwista:

This is a resultant effect of one of two things:

- contaminated feed or poisoned water.
- expired vaccination vials or medications.

It's however a rare occurrence. And for the entire stock to have been this affected, human negligence played a part.
It happened in South Africa, it’s as a result of power outage for days

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by obinna58(m): 12:41pm On Sep 12, 2023
Inflation is a thing to consider, as at now poultry isn’t profitable

Corn is 50k+

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Amazinggrcae: 12:47pm On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:
Before welcoming your birds, you should have the routine energy boosters like glucose handy. You should also have your multivitamins and antibiotics accounted for. These items will make your brooding experience seemless.

Thank u very much @TheFarmer1.
Pls can u give us the name of those energy boosters,glocuse, multivitamin and antibiotics.
Thanks
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Skillsnigeria: 1:03pm On Sep 12, 2023
Noted

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ugu (Fluted Pumpkin) seed, pod n seedling at affordable prices. / BA To Fly Nigerian Yams To UK / Nigerian Farmers Refuse To Repay N60 Billion Loan – Bank Of Agriculture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.