Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,465 members, 7,826,769 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Why You Should Consider Poultry Production - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why You Should Consider Poultry Production (14214 Views)

Crisis Hits Nigerian Maize Supply, To Affect Poultry Production Negatively / Poultry : Organic Poultry Production Whatsapp Training / A Comprehensive Business Plan And Feasibility Study For Poultry Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by laridris: 1:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
I'm interested
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by SyrusdeHansome(m): 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2023
olab059:

Whoa! 500 is a lot. When I lost like 10 in a week, I knew how I felt.
It was really bad bro. The worst of it is that they died at maturity

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by johngwain: 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2023
How far bro, pls we need to talk, pls send me a mail so we can exchange numbers, email address.. johnmaince@gmail.com.,.... Thanks

quote author=TheFarmer1 post=125555568]I created this account so as to give practical steps to break into the Poultry Industry in Nigeria. I have seen posts/ threads about poultry production here on Nairaland, but I am yet to see threads that have given hands-on practical approach on how you can raise poultry birds- Broilers, layers and others, without fear of losing your money.

This thread will be updated from time to time. It will be some kind of place where you, as a budding farmer or someone who wants to take a chance in this industry, can go to, to get a tip or two, so as to be on track in whatever activity you are engaged in.

It will be a mixture of Practical as well as Theoritical Steps to keep you in the game.

My name is TheFarmer1. I have been in the poultry business for about 4 years and i am more than willing to give you what you need to succeed in this endeavor. [/quote]
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by johngwain: 1:27pm On Sep 12, 2023
johngwain:
How far bro, pls we need to talk, pls send me a mail so we can exchange numbers, I am interested . email address.. johnmaince@gmail.com.,.... Thanks

quote author=TheFarmer1 post=125555568]I created this account so as to give practical steps to break into the Poultry Industry in Nigeria. I have seen posts/ threads about poultry production here on Nairaland, but I am yet to see threads that have given hands.-on practical approach on how you can raise poultry birds- Broilers, layers and others, without fear of losing your money.

This thread will be updated from time to time. It will be some kind of place where you, as a budding farmer or someone who wants to take a chance in this industry, can go to, to get a tip or two, so as to be on track in whatever activity you are engaged in.

It will be a mixture of Practical as well as Theoritical Steps to keep you in the game.

My name is TheFarmer1. I have been in the poultry business for about 4 years and i am more than willing to give you what you need to succeed in this endeavor.
post=125745680]

How far bro, pls we need to talk, pls send me a mail so we can exchange numbers, I am interested . email address.. johnmaince@gmail.com.,.... Thanks
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TongueTwista(m): 1:44pm On Sep 12, 2023
obinna58:

It happened in South Africa, it’s as a result of power outage for days

Classic case of human negligence.

Who owns a farm of that magnitude and makes no provision for alternative power source(s)?
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Seeck: 2:40pm On Sep 12, 2023
Please I have over 8months old noilers that are yet to start producing eggs, what could be the problem and what can I do to resolve it?
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Thefarmer3: 4:21pm On Sep 12, 2023
You are doing well bro

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by ejibamui: 5:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:

Thank u The Farmer1 for the insight. I always used Ross 308 from Sayed it always give me good result. I sell my chicken @ 3 wks old.
You are welcome, Joel.

For the first question, I will recommend you use Ultima Super Starter Feed. Use this for a period of 2 weeks or 14 days. By the 15th day, switch over to Ultima Starter till the birds are 28 days old. From the 29th day, start finishing your birds. Place them on Ultima Finisher.

For the second question, 100 birds will eat an average of between 30 - 32 bags of feed for a period of 9 weeks. This will enable you hit an average weight of 4kg by the end of the 9th week.

For question 3, Zartech Broilers belong to the broilers called Cobb 500 strain. They are good in their own right but I will suggest you use Ross 308 from Sayed, for a change. These birds will hit an average weight of 1kg by day 21 if you follow the steps and guide I have given so far. You will definitely get birds weighing over 4kg by the 9th week.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Eberex(m): 5:26pm On Sep 12, 2023
The cost of feeding is skyrocketing
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by jmoore(m): 5:31pm On Sep 12, 2023
Freksy:

It will be bad too if you advise anyone to eat chicken and eggs now.

School has resumed, soon demand for egg will surge.

You don't tell a novice to start poultry now. The current economic challenges are harsh.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by gemini35(m): 5:56pm On Sep 12, 2023
I, love this, but a friend of mine use to produce his feed with his hand , corn,millet,soya beans, and he go to slaughter and buy cow blood cook and dry it, also buy cow bone burn it grind every thing together he told me is economical and saves a lot of money, adding multivitamin in their water feed them day and night within 1 and half month the broiler Will be so hefty like 5 months broiler, can you shade more light on this locally made feed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by wuyexzy01: 6:35pm On Sep 12, 2023
lol... oga OP, im 1100% sure that you are not into poultry farming. More importantly i will give it to you that your writeup abi na thesis mke i call ahm is top notch. ANY LIVING SOUL ADVISING ANYBODY TO GO INTO POULTRY FARMING AT THIS TIME IN NIGERIA IS A DEV*L INC****E. at this point in time its not financially attractive to new entrant. those of us in the business are only trying to keep the business afloat. everything is expensive. the price of maize which takes nothing less than 50% of their feed has taken all the profit. thats even if you are mixing the feeds on site.
For more INFO. ask around from real farmers.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:02pm On Sep 12, 2023
Amazinggrcae:

Thank u very much @TheFarmer1.
Pls can u give us the name of those energy boosters,glocuse, multivitamin and antibiotics.
Thanks

Hi. The glucose you can use is just about any glucose suitable for veterinary use. As for Multivitamins, you can use Ivory Arc multivitamins or any other good one. As regards antibiotics, you can use Ampidox, Megadoz, LGP Erythromix and others. If you need further assistance, you can send me a mail here on nairaland.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2023
Dadatao1998:
Hello, please i am interested in chicken production ( broilers and layers.
I just want to start small by constructing cage and rearing them in the cage.
I need guidelines on how to go about it, you can reach me on : Zero Eight 1 2 -one 9 eight twenty-two 9 seven

I will contact you. Thanks.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:13pm On Sep 12, 2023
ednut1:
Op do you have your own poultry
Yes, I do.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:16pm On Sep 12, 2023
hartopher76:
Which feeds do you think is the best in the market?
There are many brands that have highly competitive feeds in the market today. You have companies producing feeds like Ultima, NewHope and indeed many others. They also come with varying prices. You check your pocket and know the one to go for. Ultima is always good. You can go for Ultima.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2023
YoungDaNaval:
Also remember to tell us about the risk involved
If anybody tells you there aren't risks involved, that person is definitely telling you lies. Just as in everything you do in life, there is always some level of risk. As regards this business, you could place an order for birds and you receive low quality day old chicks. They will feed till eternity and you will never get a good weight. It happens. There could be disease outbreak in your farm. This is a very common occurrence but what matters is how you respond to these outbreaks and the best way or ways to tackle it. You could also have the problem of sales. One thing is raising these birds and it's entirely a different ball game selling them.

Hence, you must be prepared at all fronts to make sure you are selling and Making profit at the same time. If you have issues of outbreaks in your farm, send me a mail here. We will continue from there.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
jmoore:
Anyone advising you now to enter poultry business is a bad adviser.
I understand you may have fears about this business but while you are afraid, many more people are going into it and prospering. All you need is the finance, technical know-how, a place to keep the birds, a market and you are good to go.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:27pm On Sep 12, 2023
professore:
what is the least capital one can invest in this business with? Thank you.
With the current economic realities, you can actually raise 50 birds with a budget of N60,000 for a period of 3 weeks. You can sell the birds at this stage and make some profit.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:29pm On Sep 12, 2023
Abaniwealth:
please this is my number 08064811410.. I am dam interested in rearing a broiler infact I have started but I need someone to educate me more.. Though I started with not less than 60,000.
Please what app me sir..
I will contact you.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:32pm On Sep 12, 2023
Abaniwealth:

Sir how much can one sale it at 6wks.
What you sell at 6 weeks is totally dependent on your cost of production at 6 weeks. I could decide to sell at N4000, and the next farmer may decide to sell for N5000. Your environment is also a factor. If your target market is a posh estate, you can actually sell at a higher price because you know that your prospective customers can afford to part with more.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:34pm On Sep 12, 2023
Ceejay501:
pls drop your contact number
Please send me a mail here. I will reach out to you. Thanks.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 8:38pm On Sep 12, 2023
gemini35:
I, love this, but a friend of mine use to produce his feed with his hand , corn,millet,soya beans, and he go to slaughter and buy cow blood cook and dry it, also buy cow bone burn it grind every thing together he told me is economical and saves a lot of money, adding multivitamin in their water feed them day and night within 1 and half month the broiler Will be so hefty like 5 months broiler, can you shade more light on this locally made feed.

The truth is if you are raising birds in commercial quantity, it is adviceable to use commercial feeds. It saves you a lot of headache and stress. At the end of the day, if you critically look at the cost difference between a feed you formulated yourself and the commercial feed, you'd find out that the difference isn't that much. So why go through the stress?

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by YoungDaNaval(m): 9:20pm On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:

If anybody tells you there aren't risks involved, that person is definitely telling you lies. Just as in everything you do in life, there is always some level of risk. As regards this business, you could order for low quality day old chicks. They will feed till eternity and you will never get a good weight. It happens. There could be disease outbreak in your farm. This is a very common occurrence but what matters is how you respond to these outbreaks and the best way or ways to tackle it. You could also have the problem of sales. One thing is raising these birds and it's entirely a different ball game selling them.

Hence, you must be prepared at all fronts to make sure you are selling and Making profit at the same time. If you have issues of outbreaks in your farm, send me a mail here. We will continue from there.
What might be the cause of this?

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by HELLASJ(m): 9:24pm On Sep 12, 2023
Following

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 9:42pm On Sep 12, 2023
YoungDaNaval:
What might be the cause of this?
This level of mortality could be as a result of a number of things.

It could be as a result of vaccine failure in the hatchery. I have seen a situation where a farmer lost 400 point-of-lay birds. Following investigation, it was found out that the birds weren't given vaccine againt Merek Disease in the hatchery.

This level of mortality could also result from an outbreak of disease in the poultry farm although it must be at a very devastating level for this number of mortality to be recorded. Diseases such as Newcastle disease, coccidiosis are known to have very high mortality rate, if not well managed.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 10:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
wuyexzy01:
lol... oga OP, im 1100% sure that you are not into poultry farming. More importantly i will give it to you that your writeup abi na thesis mke i call ahm is top notch. ANY LIVING SOUL ADVISING ANYBODY TO GO INTO POULTRY FARMING AT THIS TIME IN NIGERIA IS A DEV*L INC****E. at this point in time its not financially attractive to new entrant. those of us in the business are only trying to keep the business afloat. everything is expensive. the price of maize which takes nothing less than 50% of their feed has taken all the profit. thats even if you are mixing the feeds on site.
For more INFO. ask around from real farmers.

No doubt, the cost of raising poultry birds is quite high, like I said at the beginning of this thread. Poultry business isn't for people without money to spend. If you have limited resources, you must have to stick to what you can afford to do, which was why I suggested that one can go into raising birds for just 2 to 3 weeks.

Yes, I am 100% into poultry Production and we have found ways of being in business despite the fact that a lot of farms are shutting down. It is not easy but it's what we love to do.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 10:19pm On Sep 12, 2023
Eberex:
The cost of feeding is skyrocketing
Send me a mail here on nairaland. Will give you a tip or two on what to do as regards feeding.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 10:24pm On Sep 12, 2023
Seeck:
Please I have over 8months old noilers that are yet to start producing eggs, what could be the problem and what can I do to resolve it?

Try changing the layer feed you've been using so far.
If there's been a disease outbreak, treat accordingly and place them on feed high in protein.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by prince4pro2: 10:53pm On Sep 12, 2023
I d come
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by professore(m): 11:42pm On Sep 12, 2023
TheFarmer1:

With the current economic realities, you can actually raise 50 birds with a budget of N60,000 for a period of 3 weeks. You can sell the birds at this stage and make some profit.
Thanks bro
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by burninflamez(m): 11:53pm On Sep 12, 2023
jmoore:
Anyone advising you now to enter poultry business is a bad adviser.
Bro, u r 100% wrong, i swear, to me o, poultry business is one of the best thing that is happening to me now, i don't do all this paper work nd i never use all those powders called synthetic drugs, i don't use even vitalyte for my birds, i know, this will shock u, i produce my vaccine my self, we vaccinate our bird's from Day Old chicks DOC immediately our bird's arrived the brooder, yes! Just as the writer has pointed out, most of these perent stocks are affected by either new castle or CRD but with MAGIC VACCINE 💪 u deal with ur New Castle disease from Day one right in the brooder, nd ur ginger and garlic will clear ur CRD, the ginger and garlic comes after vaccination nd our vaccine is polyvalent as it's covers gomboro nd lasota, it is applied orally on drinking wate, If u even have bitter leaf nd moringa at home, u can use it in place of ur ginger and garlic, we supply vaccine to Kano, Kaduna, Benue taraba, Cameroon nd osun state for now! Magic vaccine is also use for the treatment of new castle, white pooing nd sleeping bird's, most of what is killing the poultry industry is nothing but paper work. Tnx. If u want to no more! Chat me up on WhatsApp 08038791472 nd let's me take u to my farm through video chat make e shock u.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BA To Fly Nigerian Yams To UK / Nigerian Farmers Refuse To Repay N60 Billion Loan – Bank Of Agriculture / Ugu (Fluted Pumpkin) seed, pod n seedling at affordable prices.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.