Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,425 members, 7,826,656 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Why You Should Consider Poultry Production - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why You Should Consider Poultry Production (14213 Views)

Crisis Hits Nigerian Maize Supply, To Affect Poultry Production Negatively / Poultry : Organic Poultry Production Whatsapp Training / A Comprehensive Business Plan And Feasibility Study For Poultry Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Blackpromise(m): 8:44am On Sep 13, 2023
Hello.
Nice write-up about poultry.
Can you send me your whattsapp number to
kunleblackrule@gmail.com
Thank you.
TheFarmer1:
At the end of the 3rd day, clean up the drinker and administer fresh antibiotics in their drinkers. Discontinue with glucose. Do not add glucose by the end of Day 3. Just place the birds on the recommended antibiotics. Follow this routine till the 5th day. At this point, you should have no mortality if you follow all the steps that I have listed here.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by stagger: 8:46am On Sep 13, 2023
tonididdy:

I think this was due to flooding

Heat stroke. Those who raise birds in Northern Nigeria between January and March will tell you better.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by tonididdy(m): 11:00am On Sep 13, 2023
stagger:

Heat stroke. Those who raise birds in Northern Nigeria between January and March will tell you better.
Lol with an enclosed area like that, wetin the farmer expect ?
That's a polythene tent, humans can't withstand the heat left alone chicks.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Abaniwealth(f): 11:18am On Sep 13, 2023
TheFarmer1:

What you sell at 6 weeks is totally dependent on your cost of production at 6 weeks. I could decide to sell at N4000, and the next farmer may decide to sell for N5000. Your environment is also a factor. If your target market is a posh estate, you can actually sell at a higher price because you know that your prospective customers can afford to part with more.
THANKS 🙏🙏
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Abaniwealth(f): 11:19am On Sep 13, 2023
TheFarmer1:

I will contact you.
It's my pleasure 🙏🙏
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Newyorkitis(m): 12:02pm On Sep 13, 2023
Following keenly.... Nice training, Sir.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Love800(m): 12:13pm On Sep 13, 2023
Hw can i reach u, mr.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by obinna58(m): 1:31pm On Sep 13, 2023
TongueTwista:

Classic case of human negligence.

Who owns a farm of that magnitude and makes no provision for alternative power source(s)?
The least unexpected, it’s not like Nigeria without stable electricity
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TongueTwista(m): 1:34pm On Sep 13, 2023
obinna58:

The least unexpected, it’s not like Nigeria without stable electricity

Even if you own a farm in the US where there's the guarantee of uninterrupted power supply, it behoves on you to take the initiative to have a back-up power source.

There are just certain things that are no-brainers.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Masky2000: 1:35pm On Sep 13, 2023
TheFarmer1:
Quality control in most of the hatcheries in Nigeria isn't top notch. Most day old chicks (DOCs) tend to get infected with all manner of microbes while at the hatcheries. If you fail to acknowledge this fact, it may spell doom for you in the brooder. It becomes very important to start prevention/treatment against these microorganisms before they lead to unexpected mortality.

In the evening of day 1, introduce your birds to antibiotics. A sample picture of the antibiotics you can use is attached below. Around 6pm of the arrival day, put fresh water in their drinker and place 1 teaspoon of the recommended antibiotics as well as 1 teaspoon of glucose in each of the small drinkers. Stir very well and place them at strategic spots in the brooder.

The recommended antibiotics comes with an infusion of vitamins. DOCs need vitamins at this early stage to help build up their immunity and also encourage feeding. They should drink thois mixture till 6pm of the following day.

Thank you so much for this information
But if I may asked, what volume of water can one use for the above mentioned quantity of Glucose and Antibiotics,
Also can one see a picture of your recommended Feeder and Drinker
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by obinna58(m): 1:38pm On Sep 13, 2023
TongueTwista:

Even if you own a farm in the US where there's the guarantee of uninterrupted power supply, it behoves on you to take the initiative to have a back-up power source.

There are just certain things that are no-brainers.
You’re not so sure about that
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TongueTwista(m): 1:40pm On Sep 13, 2023
obinna58:

You’re not so sure about that

I'm not sure of my assertion as a livestock farmer? I honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by obinna58(m): 2:22pm On Sep 13, 2023
TongueTwista:

I'm not sure of my assertion as a livestock farmer? I honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make.
Nigeria’s electricity pattern Dey confuse you, people Dey get constant 25-50yrs power supply, if you have alternative power on standby it’s useless cos e go still spoil and you no go use am
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TongueTwista(m): 2:33pm On Sep 13, 2023
obinna58:

Nigeria’s electricity pattern Dey confuse you, people Dey get constant 25-50yrs power supply, if you have alternative power on standby it’s useless cos e go still spoil and you no go use am

Emergency back-up plans are not fashioned to mean the tools or equipments are readily available. It means there's a 10hour contingency that can be set in motion once the main plan fails.

It is proper negligence for you to have a livestock farm of that size and be so relaxed to believe constant electricity supply means you should not have a rudimentary plan to swiftly source for a back-up generator in the rare case of power failure.

Even in the United States, relevant government facilities have back-up generators. Like the traffic lights control HQ. They understand that should something happen and the main power source fails at the HQ, the back-up generator has to kick in immediately. Otherwise, it won't take more than 5 minutes for pile-ups to happen in different locations.

I consulted for a farm in Nasarawa owned by one very Prominent Nigerian politician who was even in the House of Reps this last dispensation. Apart from solar installations, he has a massive back-up generator so electricity doesn't ever have to be a problem.

And it's quite sad for you to simply assume that everyone who sits to exchange ideas with you on nairaland is grounded in Nigeria. I'm currently not even in the country as I made a small business trip just two days ago.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by obinna58(m): 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2023
TongueTwista:

Emergency back-up plans are not fashioned to mean the tools or equipments are readily available. It means there's a 10hour contingency that can be set in motion once the main plan fails.

It is proper negligence for you to have a livestock farm of that size and be so relaxed to believe constant electricity supply means you should not have a rudimentary plan to swiftly source for a back-up generator in the rare case of power failure.

Even in the United States, relevant government facilities have back-up generators. Like the traffic lights control HQ. They understand that should something happen and the main power source fails at the HQ, the back-up generator has to kick in immediately. Otherwise, it won't take more than 5 minutes for pile-ups to happen in different locations.

I consulted for a farm in Nasarawa owned by one very Prominent Nigerian politician who was even in the House of Reps this last dispensation. Apart from solar installations, he has a massive back-up generator so electricity doesn't ever have to be a problem.

And it's quite sad for you to simply assume that everyone who sits to exchange ideas with you on nairaland is grounded in Nigeria. I'm currently not even in the country as I made a small business trip just two days ago.
In as much as you’re right there are things to consider, some risks are worthy and believe it or not you cannot be too careful and perfect to circumstances.
Some businesses can not contain certain luxury maintenance
An average Nigerian politician is thief, majority of them are not in business for profits, they’re just there for title and cover up for their looting

Like I said some business can’t run on luxuries maintenance, some risks are worthy otherwise who wouldn’t want have plan D

I can deduce a response from my comrade and I have right to assume things, it’s left for politeness to enforce respect😀.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by cowboyT: 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2023
tonididdy:
Na WA oh

All this write up for chicken ....
How much is a full chicken in Nigeria?
Here it's only 1000 to max 4500 naira depend on size
Growing up we bought little chicks, fed them corn and water and by December it's be dutty!

Hope you know that chicken 🐔 is different from her.
Those ones you mentioned are hen, the ones you will chased before catching them on Christmas morning.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by tonididdy(m): 7:54pm On Sep 13, 2023
cowboyT:

Hope you know that chicken 🐔 is different from her.
Those ones you mentioned are hen, the ones you will chased before catching them on Christmas morning.

grin grin grin grin grin bad guy
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by tocin44(m): 10:21pm On Sep 13, 2023
I plan to raise Noilers and Cockerels long-term, like say April to December.

I'd like a suggestion cheaper source of feed asides this bagged feeds that the price keeps going up every day. Maybe something I can produce myself in large quantity at a significantly lesser cost.

I know they don't need any special feeding like broilers and they will have enough time to mature unlike broilers that are raised for a short period and consume a lot of feed.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 4:15am On Sep 14, 2023
Masky2000:

Thank you so much for this information
But if I may asked, what volume of water can one use for the above mentioned quantity of Glucose and Antibiotics,
Also can one see a picture of your recommended Feeder and Drinker

Attached below is a sample feeder and drinker you can use for your day old chicks. The drinker accommodates approximately 4 litres of water.

As regards the volume of water, each drinker is about 4litres. So whatever mixture you are making for the birds, it should be based on 4 litres of water.

Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 4:18am On Sep 14, 2023
Blackpromise:
Hello.
Nice write-up about poultry.
Can you send me your whattsapp number to
kunleblackrule@gmail.com
Thank you.
Will do, thanks.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 4:24am On Sep 14, 2023
Love800:
Hw can i reach u, mr.
Send me a mail here on nairaland. Will respond accordingly.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 4:31am On Sep 14, 2023
tocin44:
I plan to raise Noilers and Cockerels long-term, like say April to December.

I'd like a suggestion cheaper source of feed asides this bagged feeds that the price keeps going up every day. Maybe something I can produce myself in large quantity at a significantly lesser cost.

I know they don't need any special feeding like broilers and they will have enough time to mature unlike broilers that are raised for a short period and consume a lot of feed.

You may have to take a course on feed formulation. That way you'd know the feed requirements for the noiler birds at various stages of growth. The females are placed on grower feeds and this is eventually switched to layer feed at some point because they lay eggs. You just need a good knowledge of feed formulation.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 5:15am On Sep 14, 2023
It's a good thing this thread made front page a few days ago. I didn't expect it to get there. Now that it did, it had a wider reach and it has given me more impetus to dish out more tips. I also saw a lot of interest from people. Feel free to reach me via mail here on nairaland and I will definitely reach you back.

Let's continue from where we stopped. On day 6, still place your birds on antibiotics. By now they must have reached a certain level of stability as regards disease resistance. Place them on ordinary water the whole of Day 7. This will be in preparation for their first dose of Gumboro vaccine that will come up on Day 8.

Now it must be noted that it is very possible to notice traces of early stages of coccidiosis in your brooder between Day 4 and Day 5. We are prepared for this. This was why the coccidiostat was purchased. If you notice distinct yellow poo on the floor of the brooder by the 4th day, you may have to stop administration of antibiotics and place the birds on an anticocci drug. Clean up your drinker. Fill it up with water to the brim and draw 1ml of the recommended coccidiostat, using a 5ml or 10ml syringe. Empty it into the drinker and stir. If you have 4 drinkers, each one of them should get 1ml of the coccidiostat. This preventive measure should run from Day 4 till the end of Day 5.

As a rule of thumb, the broiler poo is the window through which you know what goes on in the body of the broiler. If you can decode the poo, you will have healthy birds.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by AwealthDRL: 11:15am On Sep 15, 2023
God bless you
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by TheFarmer1: 1:56pm On Sep 15, 2023
AwealthDRL:
God bless you for the efforts put on here. Please contact me I'm interested in this. awealthayo@gmail.com
Will do.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by olab059(m): 3:14pm On Sep 15, 2023
SyrusdeHansome:

It was really bad bro. The worst of it is that they died at maturity

Damn!
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by allenpaul(m): 10:09am On Oct 03, 2023
nice
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by ahmedio2017(m): 11:13am On Oct 04, 2023
TheFarmer1:

Attached below is a sample feeder and drinker you can use for your day old chicks. The drinker accommodates approximately 4 litres of water.

As regards the volume of water, each drinker is about 4litres. So whatever mixture you are making for the birds, it should be based on 4 litres of water.

The feeder is called flip feeders, it is available at cheaper rate
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by determination26(m): 9:00am On Oct 20, 2023
Hi bro, how are you doing? I started a broiler farm recently. Didn't start with much though, got about 25 to test. They were 11 weeks now, got them at 4 weeks old. I've sold of most of them and restocked 30 more for the Christmas market, I intend to get more if I get some extra cash. I've got numerous questions ranging from your thoughts on the use of Black Soldier Fly larvae for feeding to some recommendations on the best place to get day old chicks. Pls check your PM
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by Destinygsd: 10:01am On Nov 07, 2023
I feed my birds earthworms at times
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by paulitiga: 10:52am On Nov 07, 2023
For all your farm equipments and all kinds of farm Equipments and machines installation,call Precious Time Farms and Farm Equipments on 08129324948....Thanks
TheFarmer1:
I created this account so as to give practical steps to break into the Poultry Industry in Nigeria. I have seen posts/ threads about poultry production here on Nairaland, but I am yet to see threads that have given hands-on practical approach on how you can raise poultry birds- Broilers, layers and others, without fear of losing your money.

This thread will be updated from time to time. It will be some kind of place where you, as a budding farmer or someone who wants to take a chance in this industry, can go to, to get a tip or two, so as to be on track in whatever activity you are engaged in.

It will be a mixture of Practical as well as Theoritical Steps to keep you in the game.

My name is TheFarmer1. I have been in the poultry business for about 4 years and i am more than willing to give you what you need to succeed in this endeavor.
Re: Why You Should Consider Poultry Production by determination26(m): 7:45pm On Nov 07, 2023
Destinygsd:
I feed my birds earthworms at times
You shouldn't do that. From my research, earthworms can cause cause gapeworms

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BA To Fly Nigerian Yams To UK / Nigerian Farmers Refuse To Repay N60 Billion Loan – Bank Of Agriculture / Ugu (Fluted Pumpkin) seed, pod n seedling at affordable prices.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.