Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? (7911 Views)

Church Buildings That Will Amaze You!! / Pastor Adeboye: A Jet is Necessary For God's Work / Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by FemiD(m): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2007
God is not human and so doesnt need the same things we need. He needs our hearts not our pockets!

I agree with you completely.

Most people have equated their ambitions to God's purpose. If magnificient buildings are that much of a priority, God , when he came to dwell with man in the form of man (Jesus) would have built an historical edifice. Go and check the records the only church he built is still being built with you and me. So who then are we trying to impress? God? Definitely no!
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by waxyweller: 12:33pm On Sep 17, 2007
Most of the most expensive churches in Nigeria today is Catholic, Abeg help us ask them why dem dey build castle as church oooh
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by FemiD(m): 2:17pm On Sep 17, 2007
@999,

Rightly said, our pocket is not ours but the Lord. If that holds true, then why don't we use what is God for God's own purposes rather than self-aggrandizing ostentatious purposes. I dare to challenge anyone to prove to me if Jesus will prefer to embark on a N50,000,000.00 altar design in the face of corruption that knows no bound, poverty that eats too hard and all the confusion, fear and diseases that are abound. The point here is that priorities are misplaced. I maintain that Jesus would have built the best altar in the world if that was a priority in God's agenda.

It is hard to say, but the truth must be said. All those exhorbitance are not directed to honour God but to make men feel good.
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by pilgrim1(f): 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2007
@topic: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary?

They may not be "necessary" - but who says they are anathema? grin
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by donnie(m): 5:28pm On Sep 17, 2007
Expensive church buildings in my own opinion are built, not to compete with the world or to oprress the poor, but for the glory of God.

However, we shouldn't place priority on building an expensive church building at the expense of helping the poor, needy and unsaved around us.
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On Sep 17, 2007
donnie:

Expensive church buildings in my own opinion are built, not to compete with the world or to oprress the poor, but for the glory of God.

However, we shouldn't place priority on building an expensive church building at the expense of helping the poor, needy and unsaved around us.

Donnie,

Here is an example of what I would do. If I had a million dollars and I had to choose between bUilding me a nice million dollar house and sending off the same million to "feed the poor and yadda yadda, " , you know what I would do Since God gave me that money to build my house, I would go ahead and build the house and let God provide what He will for to "feed the poor" , trillions of dollars have been pumped in to this so called "feeding the poor" scheme, I would think by now we would know that money is not really the issue with the poor. and I am sure many in here who themselves have houses and nice cars and computers and all have done exactly the very same thing I would choose to do , I also like to worship God and know that his house is cool looking to go to.

KoboJunkie, heck, I am being honest here !!
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by donnie(m): 5:55pm On Sep 17, 2007
I absolutely agree with you, that money isn't the problem of the poor as i have associated with a lot of them and seen their lives transformed the moment they embrase the message of the gospel.

However, it is not wise for a christain to say to a poor fellow be filled without ensuring that the miracle is complete. Just like we say to the blind, recieve your sight and they see again, we should by His Spirit ensure that the miracle of prosperity is complete.

By the way, many will follow anyone who saves their lives, christain or no christain. So it's good we get to them first.
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by seun001(m): 8:25pm On Sep 17, 2007
see how u people are going back and forth.
its either the Bible aint complete or the historians that wrote the book had a bad vision of what will be relevant today so there are more questions than answers.
it aint necessary to build a magnificient church period.
and somebody was saying we should post pastors that build schools and their members can't afford to put their children there,
wow,almost all the major churches in naija are doing that and many more are in the process.

Solomon got his money by taxing his subjects heavily.  Whereas modern day pastors collect voluntary offerings.  They may be bad, but Solomon was worse than them by far.  And God condoned his actions.
how sure your u about this,its just what u read.
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 11:04pm On Sep 17, 2007
Any Tom privates and Harry can make claims,  I am asking for SOLID PROOF of these claims PERIOD and I stand by what I said. It is easy to bad mouth someone cause you are biased in one way or another. I on the other hand want  backup before I can believe your claims or any other persons,  PERIOD @Seun

donnie:

However, it is not wise for a christain to say to a poor fellow be filled without ensuring that the miracle is complete. Just like we say to the blind, recieve your sight and they see again, we should by His Spirit ensure that the miracle of prosperity is complete.

By the way, many will follow anyone who saves their lives, christain or no christain. So it's good we get to them first.

Where in the Bible do you get this from ?? Cause we need to start stoning Abraham, Isaac, even Solomon for being rich and there being poor folks still in the land. I believe people have a RIGHT to follow whom they choose to follow. We may not agree with them but I do not believe there is anyway you can decide that whom a person chooses to follow is not right and so you must get to them even when they do not want what you are selling I am sure these people who follow these pastors you have issues with have brains and can think as you can and yet they choose to continue to follow those whom they choose. If you do not want to follow those pastors, that is fine, but can anyone really change another human being based feelings that are mostly based on own perception??  I am not sure the Christian walk is about getting to them first. Heck, I would think God's way would be about letting them have their way and then when they are tired or find that they may have strolled down the wrong path, they will turn to him if they are lost. So, the whole " THEY ARE BEING DUPED AND NEED TO BE SAVED" ideology of the other side eludes me in this. I still say LET THE PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY AS THEY CHOOSE AND HAVE WHAT THEY WANT and LET GOD DUKE IT OUT WITH THEM IF HE CHOOSES  grinshocked

IF A bIG cHURCH IS WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT AND ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR, THEN BY GOLLY!!! IT IS NECESSARY !!! grin

@Donnie

KoboJunkie
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by seun001(m): 7:31am On Sep 18, 2007
which kind of proof do u want hmmm,i see u are not even in naija,how do u intend to make ur investigations.think i should warn u that u will be mightily dissappointed.
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 1:22pm On Sep 18, 2007
seun001:

which kind of proof do u want hmmm,i see u are not even in naija,how do u intend to make your investigations.think i should warn u that u will be mightily dissappointed.

Please @Seun

Do not even start with the " You are not presently in Naija THEREFORE You do not know anything about NAIJA" CRAP, That is the BIGGEST excuse used by many to claim it is ok to continue with their way. I happen to know a lot about and actually live and travel back and forth. So I beg you try another line and not that one you are trying to go for. I know persons in who attend many of those big churches, infact I frequent some of those here and even back there myself. So to conclude that everyone in naija sees things through your own eyes would be the biggest mistake for your argument. Please focus and tell me what proof you have. I mean this is like presenting a case in court. Do you go to the judge and say because I think it is this and that even though I do not have solid papers to show that the money is being squandered, I am still right ??

We live in a civilized world. I would think and if you want to level a claim against another, the most civil and righteous thing to do would be to provide proof or back down or better yet accept you have nothing but bad mouthing to do and that is ok too. That is the way I see all these things. Infact, I would think Nigerian History alone in the past 3 decades would have at least taught us all that all is not always as it seems and that just cause we think things are one way does not mean it is necessarily so. We of all people should know that. Why then is this case or any other exempt?? Again LET THE PEOPLE/PASTORS have what they want Since they can afford to have it.

KoboJunkie
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by ow11(m): 2:00pm On Sep 18, 2007
Kobojunkie:

IF A bIG cHURCH IS WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT AND ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR, THEN BY GOLLY!!! IT IS NECESSARY !!! grin

@Donnie

KoboJunkie

that stament is correct but the only snag is that; are the people willing or are they manipulated, coaxed or put in the spot just to donate to the 'cause'.
pressure can do a lot of things. ask prisoners
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by cgift(m): 3:57pm On Sep 18, 2007
ow11:

that stament is correct but the only snag is that; are the people willing or are they manipulated, coaxed or put in the spot just to donate to the 'cause'.
pressure can do a lot of things. ask prisoners

What uncouth statement that is? Who coaxes whom? I will use one church I have worshipped sometime ago as an Winners Chapel, Uyo. This is a church were you have commissioners, business moguls, etc. They have different teams in the in the church. Through offerings and willful donations, the church raises funds. Th church is 'rich'. They have prison ministry, motherless, widows, etc., ministries. THey fund all these different units to affect the lives of people in need and under the bondag of satan. Is it because the ydont make an open show of it like JEsus made an open show of the devil?

Now to their very needs that would make them worship in a good atmosphere, they also have the resources to by modern instruments, build larger terbanacles to house more people and make them very comfortable while in church and all of that. Would you want to worship in the rain all bacause you 'love' God when you could have used the money he provided to build good centres? Would you want to gather undr severe heat all in the name of being what?

So, i do not understand when people cast aspersions at churches having great buildings. Go and ask how beautifully decorated God's temple were ack in those days. Do you think God abhors affluence? He says he owns th cattle on a thousand hills, silver and gold are mine (Hagg. 3 :cool. If you com to me a very rich man for instance in a rickety and stinking dressing carrying on funny suit on you in the name of coming to preach, you think even if i accept yur christ, i will com to that your church under normal circumstances? BIG NO!! Lets not deceive ourselves.

Now talking about churches not impacting the poor, like i said, it is not all stories you will know because theyaren't heathen philantropists. Som however are failing in this responsibilities.

Bottom line: God knows those who are really fulfilling the call. So chill-out!
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Backslider(m): 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2007
@Ow11

Dont get worried on this matter. Let them Build but they know why they and who owns the temple.

@Cgift

If looking Good makes a Good Christian then we don't need Christ. Christ was poor according to the standard of today.
How?

He did not have a house
He did not have a Chariot and did not ride on a Horse
he walked on Foot.
It was that he could not live an expensive life He choose to be available for us sinners.

But according to his standard he was sufficient he wasnt poor. There was a time there was no food for the people( was it the best ? No) He provided for them.

The Word of God was the focus of Jesus Christ ministry.

Should we then not have a safe place of worship? No on the contrary we should have a place of worship but we must focus On God dwelling in us. The two are important.

The house of God should be a house where Holiness is Exhorted. If a man is not properly dressed and you have extra share with him.

But the churches today are trying to outdo themselves, it is as if there fashion Parade "so that I can show the world how God has blessed me" meanwhile they stole the money from the government coffers to buy this and pay tithe.

From their pay there is no thought of the poor. When the show their "rehearsed Kindness in public they do it with the pride that only can be found in the heart of the devil"

There is no PERSONAL ACTS OF KINDNESS DONE IN SECRET. IT IS ALL FOR SHOW!
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by seun001(m): 4:39pm On Sep 18, 2007
ok,u seem not to get my point,will get back at u with details on churches that have schools and their fees.is that what u wanted hmmm.will geddit asap
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 4:44pm On Sep 18, 2007
Ow11, your problem is you are coming a point where you actually THINK YOU KNOW better for the people than they do for themselves.

cgift:

What uncouth statement that is? Who coaxes whom? I will use one church I have worshipped sometime ago as an Winners Chapel, Uyo. This is a church were you have commissioners, business moguls, etc. They have different teams in the in the church. Through offerings and willful donations, the church raises funds. Th church is 'rich'. They have prison ministry, motherless, widows, etc., ministries. THey fund all these different units to affect the lives of people in need and under the bondag of satan. Is it because the ydont make an open show of it like JEsus made an open show of the devil?

Now to their very needs that would make them worship in a good atmosphere, they also have the resources to by modern instruments, build larger terbanacles to house more people and make them very comfortable while in church and all of that. Would you want to worship in the rain all bacause you 'love' God when you could have used the money he provided to build good centres? Would you want to gather undr severe heat all in the name of being what?

So, i do not understand when people cast aspersions at churches having great buildings. Go and ask how beautifully decorated God's temple were ack in those days. Do you think God abhors affluence? He says he owns th cattle on a thousand hills, silver and gold are mine (Hagg. 3 :cool. If you com to me a very rich man for instance in a rickety and stinking dressing carrying on funny suit on you in the name of coming to preach, you think even if i accept yur christ, i will com to that your church under normal circumstances? BIG NO!! Lets not deceive ourselves.

Now talking about churches not impacting the poor, like i said, it is not all stories you will know because theyaren't heathen philantropists. Som however are failing in this responsibilities.

Bottom line: God knows those who are really fulfilling the call. So chill-out!

Thank you so much for that @cGift.

and again I say IF A bIG cHURCH IS WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT AND ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR, THEN BY GOLLY!!! IT IS NECESSARY !!! until you give me a SOLID reason why the people CANNOT have what they WANT but you can , you have nothing to offer in this case @Ow11

KoboJunkie wink
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On Sep 18, 2007
Backslider:

@Ow11

Dont get worried on this matter. Let them Build but they know why they and who owns the temple.

@Cgift

If looking Good makes a Good Christian then we don't need Christ. Christ was poor according to the standard of today.
How?

He did not have a house
He did not have a Chariot and did not ride on a Horse
he walked on Foot.
It was that he could not live an expensive life He choose to be available for us sinners.

But according to his standard he was sufficient he wasnt poor. There was a time there was no food for the people( was it the best ? No) He provided for them.

The Word of God was the focus of Jesus Christ ministry.

Should we then not have a safe place of worship? No on the contrary we should have a place of worship but we must focus On God dwelling in us. The two are important.

The house of God should be a house where Holiness is Exhorted. If a man is not properly dressed and you have extra share with him.

But the churches today are trying to outdo themselves, it is as if there fashion Parade "so that I can show the world how God has blessed me" meanwhile they stole the money from the government coffers to buy this and pay tithe.

From their pay there is no thought of the poor. When the show their "rehearsed Kindness in public they do it with the pride that only can be found in the heart of the devil"

There is no PERSONAL ACTS OF KINDNESS DONE IN SECRET. IT IS ALL FOR SHOW!

No WHERE did CGift Say anything about a good looking Church having ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE STATE OF THE HEART though @BackSlider, Why do you KEEP going back to that when you have ABSOLUTELY NO BIBLE PROOF linking the State of the Heart to be in reverse to the STATE OF THE BUILDING here @BackSlider
Do you mind Stick to one straight please, Let us all please STop playing the GOD IS ON MY SIDE CARD and deal with this as is,

KoboJunkie
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by cgift(m): 5:35pm On Sep 18, 2007
Backslider:

@Cgift

How?

He did not have a house why? Because people would have said that Jesus dwells in that house and my catholic friends would have said that is New Jerusalem.

He did not have a Chariot and did not ride on a Horse becasue men would hav started worshipping it and convereted it to their gods

he walked on Foot - just to show of his humility

But according to his standard he was sufficient he wasnt poor. There was a time there was no food for the people( was it the best ? No) He provided for them. why? He preferred to just keep things simple 'cos people would have grossly misunderstood him miss the crux of his mission if he had tried to accummulate things to himself.

Should we then not have a safe place of worship? No on the contrary we should have a place of worship but we must focus On God dwelling in us. The two are important. > I believe you are right thre.

The house of God should be a house where Holiness is Exhorted. If a man is not properly dressed and you have extra share with him. > You got me wrong there. I meant that you need to look good to sound convincing that your God can indeed wipe away tears both here and hereafter!

But the churches today are trying to outdo themselves, it is as if there fashion Parade "so that I can show the world how God has blessed me" meanwhile they stole the money from the government coffers to buy this and pay tithe. - well i donty know about that! I only know very body who does that knows within his heart that God is not pleased with blemished offerings, Ezekiel 46:13 You shall prepare a lamb a year old without blemish for a burnt offering to Yahweh daily: morning by morning shall you prepare it. >> and >> Hosea 8:13 They sacrifice flesh for the sacrifices of mine offerings, and eat it; but the LORD accepteth them not; now will he remember their iniquity, and visit their sins: they shall return to Egypt.

There is no PERSONAL ACTS OF KINDNESS DONE IN SECRET. IT IS ALL FOR SHOW! >>>> This is not fair! It shows that you have no regards for anyother or what does it depict?
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 5:44pm On Sep 18, 2007
seun001:

ok,u seem not to get my point,will get back at u with details on churches that have schools and their fees.is that what u wanted hmmm.will geddit asap

Look my dear friend.

I get the point. The point is Mama Lagbaja gives $100 to pastor gabrielMama Lagbaja goes to pastor gabriels church. Pastor Gabriel Builds a Huge church and then Peter on the other hand who does not attend Mama Lagbaja's church and does not even attend Pastor Gabriels Church makes it his place to complain that Mama Lagbaja is giving money to pastor Gabriel when Mama Lagbaja is not complaining herself and if for some reason unknown to the rest ok that she can not afford the fee to pastor Gabriel's new church school.

I would think that in this case, if anyone wants to lay a complaint it should be Mama Lagbaja whose money it is that goes into these things and not Peter who is just someone who wants to insert himself in somehow as mama lagbaja lawyer when Mama Lagbaja never asked for one.

IF A bIG cHURCH IS WHAT THE PEOPLE LIKE MAMA LAGBAJA WANT AND ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR, THEN BY GOLLY!!! IT IS NECESSARY !!!

why can't Mama Lagbaja have her big church ?? Better yet, why deem it unnecessary when Mama Lagbja feels it is what she wants for her money

KoboJunkie
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by seun001(m): 6:19pm On Sep 18, 2007
oho!
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by seun001(m): 6:21pm On Sep 18, 2007
@kobojunkie
look,am not bothered if u build a house of gold or wot nots,i have a personal relationship with God and i care less wot other peeps do with theirs.
if u would notice i wasnt really interested in the topic but for your comments regarding a church building a university using funds and maanpower of the church then pricing it above the average member of the same church.my grouse was that all the churches did exactly that then u said u wanted proof abi?
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 7:02pm On Sep 18, 2007
seun001:

@kobojunkie
look,am not bother if u build a house of gold or wot nots,i have a personal relationship with God and i care less wot other peeps do with theirs.
if u would notice i wasnt really interested in the topic but for your comments regarding a church building a university using funds and maanpower of the church then pricing it above the average member of the same church.

@Well Seun. Again I ask you, is Mama Lagbaja complaining or are you trying to make yourself mama lagbaja's mouth piece when mama lagbaja did not ask for one? I actually know of a church with a school and you know what? the parents can volunteer at the school to and get credit that go towards paying their kids fees at the church school. and many parents like being able to come in 3 hours a week to their kids school to see what is going on. Mind you not all persons who go to BIG CHURCHES actually donate money. Now factor that in and tell me what you propose the church should instead? Here is the thing,

in your case, let us work with a scenario where a church has 5000 people , and opens a school

about 3000 of those church goers Donate the Church projects. The other 2000 come in to worship and do not participate in anyway. Basically, they do not hear the call to give or something . Anyways, this Church now opens a school to help provide QUALITY education to students. Now for this Quality education to be available, QuALITY Teachers need to be hired, QUALITY facilities need to be constructed and QUALITY bills need to be spent to Maintain and keep this QUALITY school running. Now, the school takes in 8000 Students, of the 8000, say, 4000 of them belong to the 3000 church members who actually DONATE to this cause and about 2000 belong to the 2000 people who do not even contribute to the cause of the church or the school. Now we have only space for 2000 students from non-church members.

Where do you expect the FREE money to come from? I mean to cater to 8000 children with the money donated by only 3000, is that what you want instead?? I am sure this is not the full as I am working but I could go on to give you more detail of how it works in a few if you need me to.@Seun

KoboJunkie
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by seun001(m): 8:02pm On Sep 18, 2007
i also do know of a church that turned its congregation into labourers,mind u,the labourers are people that have been told will get a place for their children once the school is completed.only to turn around and price it higher than their reach leaving them disillusioned.
this peeps gave all they could muster including becoming a labourer just to actualise the dream.is this supposed to be an ego thing or a for profit organisation?theres no way u can tell me pricing it that high is because of teachers/lecturers because this same lecturers would have been brainwashed into taking a lesser amount than normal because they are doing it for 'GOD' and their reward is in heaven.

if mama lagbaja aint complaining then how did i get to know?
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by pilgrim1(f): 8:16pm On Sep 18, 2007
Acts 28:30 & 31
"And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him."

I just wonder if Paul had a choice to "hire" (or "rent"wink a place for the purpose of receiving people who visited him so he could minister to them, what would he choose out of these alternatives - all having the same flat rate of hire:

[list][li]a boysquarters with leaking roofs, broken windows, and broken toliet?[/li][/list]

[list][li]a dormitary just sizeable for two people to sit in at any one time?[/li][/list]

[list][li]a comfortable apartment with rooms and furnished in simplicity?[/li][/list]

It's just an illustration - but what would prompt the apostle do (who himself was into the architect trade as a tent maker)? Why did the disciples not consider it a terrible and an "unnecessary" sin to hold their meetings at a certain time in Solomon's porch (Acts 5:12)?
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On Sep 18, 2007
seun001:

i also do know of a church that turned its congregation into labourers,mind u,the labourers are people that have been told will get a place for their children once the school is completed.only to turn around and price it higher than their reach leaving them disillusioned.
this peeps gave all they could muster including becoming a labourer just to actualise the dream.is this supposed to be an ego thing or a for profit organisation?theres no way u can tell me pricing it that high is because of teachers/lecturers because this same lecturers would have been brainwashed into taking a lesser amount than normal because they are doing it for 'GOD' and their reward is in heaven.

if mama lagbaja aint complaining then how did i get to know?

I can actually tell you that @Seun , but note that I am still waiting for you to show me details, something about these many claims you have been making so far about these many churches you have accused. Actually, you do not have to hear the people complain at all for you to put yourself in as their lawyers when they do not necessarily need one so your premise there is pretty faulty.

And my friend, here is advice from the elders, let the person with the issue deal with his own problem IF HE HAS ONE, not you make yourself his mouth piece when you were not directly involved in the first place. LAGOS WISDOM THERE FOR YOU!!

Anywho, from what you just layed out, it seems you do not realize what really goes in to running schools and what the church actually does in those schools. I am saying considering the fact that you do not realize that the little maths I gave you there shows that there is no way for the school to work on the donation of only 3000 IF there are 8000 kids to tend to, teachers to pay, facilities to build, ongoing bills such as utility bills ( electricity, water, gas, phone, gas, internet etc ) , rental payments should they choose to rent equipments, money for paper , books and so many other things to deal with. Come on @Seun

I say you research cost of running a school and you might come up with why people attend schools like harvard that charge 45K each year and other schools charge about 12k a year. For your information, it was like this that schools like Harvard were actually established, Harvard, cambridge and some of the other Ivey league schools we have today started off this way with congregations building schools and then before they knew it, it was bigger than them. Research the history a bit. But that aside, my point is, it is apparent that the people who give the money give of a free heart else I see no reason why they should in the first place. I attend a big church, I can't put my niece through the school run by the church but I have no complaints at all since I have seen the school and even I know it is worth it and intend some day to get myself her in there when things are more condusive.

KoboJunkie
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Sep 18, 2007
Infact, find me someone who is a member of an actual church who has that problem, and I will pick up my phone to harass that pastor myself if the person has a legit complaint. I am serious.
@Seun angry

Kobojunkie
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by YarAdua2: 8:54pm On Sep 18, 2007
Are expensive church buildings really necessary.
yes i know that God is not really interested in you building expensive edifice but to a point he appreciate it. you know solomon built the lord a temple and have not seen a preacher in this world that as spent that much in building a church. 1 kings 6 vs 11-13."Then the Lord gave this message to Solomon: 12 “Concerning this Temple you are building, if you keep all my decrees and regulations and obey all my commands, I will fulfill through you the promise I made to your father, David. 13 I will live among the Israelites and will never abandon my people Israel.”
Dis was what God told solomon when he was building the temple of God, if God does not appreciate that he won't promise solomon that.
1 kings 6 vs 20-33.

"20 This inner sanctuary was 30 feet long, 30 feet wide, and 30 feet high. He overlaid the inside with solid gold. He also overlaid the altar made of cedar.* 21 Then Solomon overlaid the rest of the Temple’s interior with solid gold, and he made gold chains to protect the entrance* to the Most Holy Place. 22 So he finished overlaying the entire Temple with gold, including the altar that belonged to the Most Holy Place.
23 He made two cherubim of wild olive* wood, each 15 feet* tall, and placed them in the inner sanctuary. 24 The wingspan of each of the cherubim was 15 feet, each wing being 7½ feet* long. 25 The two cherubim were identical in shape and size; 26 each was 15 feet tall. 27 He placed them side by side in the inner sanctuary of the Temple. Their outspread wings reached from wall to wall, while their inner wings touched at the center of the room. 28 He overlaid the two cherubim with gold.
29 He decorated all the walls of the inner sanctuary and the main room with carvings of cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers. 30 He overlaid the floor in both rooms with gold.
31 For the entrance to the inner sanctuary, he made double doors of wild olive wood with five-sided doorposts.* 32 These double doors were decorated with carvings of cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers. The doors, including the decorations of cherubim and palm trees, were overlaid with gold.
33 Then he made four-sided doorposts of wild olive wood for the entrance to the Temple. 34 There were two folding doors of cypress wood, and each door was hinged to fold back upon itself. 35 These doors were decorated with carvings of cherubim, palm trees, and open flowers—all overlaid evenly with gold.
solomon used PURE GOLD to decorate the house  of God, and i think that is much more expensive.When u place great value on God you can do anything for him.Sometimes we need to check the motive behind our expensive church buildings sometimes the motive behind it is bad
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by ssRhino: 12:03am On Sep 19, 2007
lemme make something pretty clear, i am not against big churches, and churched that cld afford it, all the thread was about is why would the church be preaching to make pple feel bad about giving and givng all in da name of building a better befiting home for God, when God isnt complaining about the one they presently have, and that make some members of the church to even go and do anything so that they could contribute as well.
If the church has the funds like Catholic and Anglican, kudos to them, however, if the church dont have the funds and member of the church is not conmfortable to afford such, let them be, dont use the preaching to send them on a guilty trip all cos you want them to give.
God is more intrested in our heart and not the house build with muds and mortar
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Kobojunkie: 4:02am On Sep 19, 2007
let me make something pretty clear, i am not against big churches, and churched that cld afford it, all the thread was about is why would the church be preaching to make people feel bad about giving and givng all in da name of building a better befiting home for God, when God isnt complaining about the one they presently have, and that make some members of the church to even go and do anything so that they could contribute as well.
If the church has the funds like Catholic and Anglican, kudos to them, however, if the church don't have the funds and member of the church is not conmfortable to afford such, let them be, don't use the preaching to send them on a guilty trip all because you want them to give.
God is more intrested in our heart and not the house build with muds and mortar

But again @Rhino , you can set a man on a guilt trip just by telling him the food he eats is too much , what exactly is your point here people get guilt trips everyday , are you sure it is the pastors fault ?? and by the way, in many of your arguments, I notice you seem to take this "I KNOW WHAT GOD THINKS AND FEELS" approach and I am wondering if you do not see that that there may be a problem. Your God may not be complaining, how do you know evenone else's God is not? You seem to have God all figured out in your posts and I wonder if that in itself is not seen by you. I would believe the fact that no persons walk the same destiny on this planet would give us a hint that no one person can dictate for all. I am glad you claim you are not miffed when it comes to the people who want there big churches.

But don't you think it is a human problem when a person claims that a pastor keeps making him give AGAINST HIS/HER OWN WILL and yet the person keeps going back to the same pastor? Don't you think it is a human issue if a person goes to church and gives and then complains when infact the person is supposed to be in tune with and giving to God of an open heart?? , I would think that if the spirit in that person says do not give, the person would not. I have been to churches most all my life and I will confess, I only started paying tithe in church this year. I have walked into and walked out of churches most of my life and never felt cajoled to give when I did not want to give.

I have been to mega churches where people have baskets passed round and even small churches where people dance to the front to give and I would choose many a times not to dance out or even give. It is my choice to give or not to give and I have always seen it as me giving to God or not giving. Granted I will tell you that my sin is unto God and not unto man, now that I give, I give to God and not to man, even if I give the beggar at Ojuelegba money, I give it believing I give to God, if the man decides to go buy drugs with that money, that is between him and God and God is powerful enough to take care of his own.

I would think it is cause of situations like this that God said "VENGENCE IS MINE", "DO NOT BE DECIEVED God is not MOCKED", "THE BATTLE IS MINE SAYS THE LORD", Trying to demonize pastors and claim you are complaining on behalf of people who you claim are too weak to control their own giving habits to me sort of shows me how weak you must think God is. that is why I question if you are speaking for the same God I am speaking of. So please drop the GOD IS ON MY SIDE card and please play the game as it really is.

Again, As I have mentioned from the very beginning , No where in the Bible are you told that BUILDING A BIG HOUSE to WORSHIP GOD IN IS EVIL , again , NO WHERE in the Bible are we told that giving to build a huge temple is WRONg , again , NO WHERE do we see a link between buildings and the salvation of people, and again , NO WHERE ARE WE told to make ourselves gods for those who we have convinced ourselves are not strong enough to resist giving to building projects.

I am just going to add, Mama Lagbaja wants to hang out with people who want to build taj Mahals lined with Gold, who is to say Mama Lagbaja can not have her Taj Mahal club??

KoboJunkie
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by seun001(m): 6:58am On Sep 19, 2007
@Kobojunkie,
well u seem not to get me,am saying that y would u play on peoples emotions,y dont u just say this aint gonna be a charitable org cos u got to maintain a standard hmmm.dats my grouse.u tell peeps that they are gonna be the biggest beneficiaries and then turn around and do something else.

well,mama lagbaja has since moved on to another church that has not perfected the art of double speak and suits his spiritual needs.
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by FemiD(m): 9:58am On Sep 19, 2007
We need to get something right, there is a difference between a big church and an expensive church. For an illustration, a church with a congregation of 1,000 people will logically need more space and consequently more money to build a church than that with a 20-man congregation. But when a 20-man congregation church now builds a church that cost even more than that which is required for 1000-man congregation church, then it is expensive.

For the person who gave the example of Winners' Chapel Calabar - I do not really know about that particualar church but if it is the standard of most of the Winner Chapel (Lagos, PH, Ibadan, Ilorin) then it is not an expensive church. As a matter of fact, anything a little less than that would have made mockery of christianity. I have attended the RCCG Camp and I don't think it falls in the category of an expensive church.

The problem is when a church decides to class itself such that it becomes inaccessible to all, then it is bad. You can have a club for rich people, an estate for rich people but a church of Gosd is for all. so if the church is built in such a way that the only time they see the poor is when they want to give handouts to some selected beneficiaries in motherless homes, prisons etc., then it is not a church.

Even God knows that there will always be the poor among us and that is why in constructing the earth, he didn't construct another earth for the poor.
Re: Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? by Bosdem(f): 2:58pm On Sep 19, 2007
Very unnecessary my dear

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Merry Christmas To All Nairalanders / Is It Right To Say BLESS GOD? / Restitution: Christ's Teaching For The Church Or Old Testament Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.