Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? (2529 Views)

University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? / Pharmacy As Second Degree Or Msc / Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2011
Greetings to you all good people of nairaland, I am David Ibe by name, I am proposing to go into IT Career (Oracle DBA) although am not a graduate, but I have been working with computer for 5 years now, as a computer graphics artist.
Please I need all of you to help me decide on which one to do.
1. I am thinking of going into IT Career on Oracle DBA and
2. Whether I should go for part-time Degree programme (Sociology & Anthropology)
Why am asking these questions is because I want to know whether my not been a graduate will hinder me from getting a job after the IT training.
Please advice me. I am checking the duration of doing Part-time and its 6 years and I refer myself to the importance of the course am about doing, whether it will fetch me job looking at how Nigeria is today. Graduates find it had to get job OR should I focus on IT then later I will do Degree programme. Please which one is better for me now, because I have tried JAMB 3 times as at last year 2010. Thanks @all as I await your replies.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 6:15pm On Oct 16, 2011
A part time degree is good to have, but i cant say much for Anthropology or the 6 years it will take.

If you have 500k to 900k, you can get a Bsc in computing from NIIT/Open University, UK in about 3 to 4 years at N25k monthly.

The BCS Chartered IT Professional (CITP) diploma is another option.

As per Oracle, you cant get far with only OCA. You need at least OCP with some middleware knowledge.

Since you are already into graphics, i'd suggest you dive deeper into web design and programming, and pursue programming related certs. That way, if you cant land a job immediately, you can get some gigs to keep you going while you finish your degree.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 10:01pm On Oct 16, 2011
I am so glad for your reply and concern. Thank you so much Yamakuza. I can say now that I will not go for Oracle any more.
These are things that I want you to clear me on please.
1. This Bsc in Computing at NIIT / Open University UK, can they admit me with my Neco result and again, I am an Art Student? What is this Bsc in Computing like, are they going to take me on the IT related courses that can enable me apply for job with the certificate acquired from it? I mean, will still need other certs after my Bsc in Computing programme before applying for job or can I use the Bsc in Computing to search for job?
2. The Bcs CITP diploma, can I use it to apply for job in places like telecoms. and related firms?
3. I don't really want to go into web-designing and programming, I just feel to go into a course that can enable me work with Telecoms, oil company and other related firms.
Please advice me the more on this my quests. Thank you once again.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 10:50pm On Oct 16, 2011
davmor:

I am so glad for your reply and concern. Thank you so much Yamakuza. I can say now that I will not go for Oracle any more.

What will u go for?

These are things that I want you to clear me on please.
1. This Bsc in Computing at NIIT / Open University UK, can they admit me with my Neco result and again, I am an Art Student? What is this Bsc in Computing like, are they going to take me on the IT related courses that can enable me apply for job with the certificate acquired from it? I mean, will still need other certs after my Bsc in Computing programme before applying for job or can I use the Bsc in Computing to search for job?

You will have to visit the nearest NIIT center to you and enquire about their DNIIT program. They will give you all the details. Its the DNIIT diploma you will use to proceed to the BSc, not your NECO.

The courses and certs you'll get along the way to your DNIIT can secure you IT related jobs.

2. The Bcs CITP diploma, can I use it to apply for job in places like telecoms. and related firms?

Dont disturb yourself about this one.

3. I don't really want to go into web-designing and programming, I just feel to go into a course that can enable me work with Telecoms, oil company and other related firms.
Please advice me the more on this my quests. Thank you once again.

If you are looking at telecoms, Cisco CCNA will be a good place to start.

Ask all these questions when you visit NIIT, and be sure to do your part time or National Open University of Nigeria course along, if you can too.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 11:52pm On Oct 16, 2011
Dear Yamakuza, you are such a second mother to me. the saying goes that an advice is a second mother to a child.
Thank you so much and May God Almighty bless you for these, Amen.

I will ask all these to NIIT Onitsha Centre.
I will consider going for DNIIT after which I will go for Cisco CCNA
OR do you advice me to go for Cisco CCNA straight instead of DNIIT first?

As regard the Part-time or Open University of Nigeria Degree programme, I have already applied for Sociology/Anthropology in Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka base on part-time. Although the admission lists is not yet out now.
Thank you so hugely, am grateful.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 12:07am On Oct 17, 2011
Please Yamakusa, add me in your facebook friends. My user is David Edeh Ibe, Thanks
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 12:11am On Oct 17, 2011
davmor:

Dear Yamakuza, you are such a second mother to me. the saying goes that an advice is a second mother to a child.
Thank you so much and May God Almighty bless you for these, Amen.

I will ask all these to NIIT Onitsha Centre.
I will consider going for DNIIT after which I will go for Cisco CCNA
OR do you advice me to go for Cisco CCNA straight instead of DNIIT first?

As regard the Part-time or Open University of Nigeria Degree programme, I have already applied for Sociology/Anthropology in Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka base on part-time. Although the admission lists is not yet out now.
Thank you so hugely, am grateful.

CCNA is part of the DNIIT curriculum.

davmor:

Please Yamakusa, add me in your facebook friends. My user is David Edeh Ibe, Thanks

Sorry, I'm not on FaceBook. I face my books
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by AjanleKoko: 4:50am On Oct 17, 2011
davmor:

*trying to hold my oversized tummy in, so it doesn't explode from silent laughter*
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 9:26am On Oct 17, 2011
AjanleKoko:

*trying to hold my oversized tummy in, so it doesn't explode from silent laughter*

grin Nigerians can be so expressive! grin
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 12:56pm On Oct 17, 2011
grin you are guys are too detective. Am only trying to make it more clear. Hehe
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by AjanleKoko: 3:35pm On Oct 17, 2011
yamakuza:

grin Nigerians can be so expressive! grin

yeah.
We are so heavy on the metaphors. It is scary. No wonder most of Africa can't stand us grin
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 9:07pm On Oct 18, 2011
Please Yamakuza, help me to access these things, someone sent me this:

GET TRAINED ON MICROWAVE RADIO/BTS NODE B PLANNING, INSTALLATION, COMMISSIONING/O&M AND DWDM/OPTICAL SWITCH NODES INSTALLATIONS/O&M. AT THE END OF THE TRAINING, YOU WILL BE CONNECTED TO EMPLOYERS IN THE TELECOMS SECTOR.LIKE MTN,GLO,HUAWEI,ZTE,AIRTEL,VISAPHONE,ASTERA,ZOOM,VDT,CPNL,ERICSSON,NOKIA-SIEMENS ETC. WE HAVE CONNECTIONS!!!!!
WE HAVE LIVE EQUIPMENTS THAT YOU CAN PLAY AROUND WITH:
1. ERICSSON 2000 SERIES
2. ERICSSON MINILINK E & TRAFFIC NODES
3. ERICSSON TELLABS 6370 DWDM
4. ERICSSON TELLABS 6350 SWITCH NODE
5. NORTEL BTS
6. HARRIS STRATEX 155 MICROWAVE RADIO
7. CDMA BTS
8. SAF MICROWAVE RADIO
YOU CAN ALSO LEARN HOW TO CLEAR FAULT ALARMS ON ANY OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED NODES, AT THE END OF THE TRAINING, YOU WILL GO HOME WITH 45MINS TRAINING VIDEO ON ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT, SOFT COPY OF ALL THE EQUIPMENT MENTIONED ABOVE.FREE MANUALS ON OTHER EQUIPMENT TOO, LIKE NOKIA-SIEMENS SRT1F AND SRA4, HARRIS MEGASTER AND TRUEPOINT 4000 /5000, NERA EVOLUTION SERIES, ALCATEL MRT155 ETC.
MOREOVER, YOU WILL WORK ON LIVE NETWORKS WITH COMPETENT FIELD ENGINEERS ON WEEKENDS LIKE SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS.FOR MORE INFO,SEND A MAIL TO NEONET4NEONET@GMAIL.COM (What should I do?)
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 9:54pm On Oct 18, 2011
davmor:

Please Yamakuza, help me to access these things, someone sent me this:

GET TRAINED ON MICROWAVE RADIO/BTS NODE B PLANNING, INSTALLATION, COMMISSIONING/O&M AND DWDM/OPTICAL SWITCH NODES INSTALLATIONS/O&M. AT THE END OF THE TRAINING, YOU WILL BE CONNECTED TO EMPLOYERS IN THE TELECOMS SECTOR.LIKE MTN,GLO,HUAWEI,ZTE,AIRTEL,VISAPHONE,ASTERA,ZOOM,VDT,CPNL,ERICSSON,NOKIA-SIEMENS ETC. WE HAVE CONNECTIONS!!!!!
WE HAVE LIVE EQUIPMENTS THAT YOU CAN PLAY AROUND WITH:
1. ERICSSON 2000 SERIES
2. ERICSSON MINILINK E & TRAFFIC NODES
3. ERICSSON TELLABS 6370 DWDM
4. ERICSSON TELLABS 6350 SWITCH NODE
5. NORTEL BTS
6. HARRIS STRATEX 155 MICROWAVE RADIO
7. CDMA BTS
8. SAF MICROWAVE RADIO
YOU CAN ALSO LEARN HOW TO CLEAR FAULT ALARMS ON ANY OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED NODES, AT THE END OF THE TRAINING, YOU WILL GO HOME WITH 45MINS TRAINING VIDEO ON ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT, SOFT COPY OF ALL THE EQUIPMENT MENTIONED ABOVE.FREE MANUALS ON OTHER EQUIPMENT TOO, LIKE NOKIA-SIEMENS SRT1F AND SRA4, HARRIS MEGASTER AND TRUEPOINT 4000 /5000, NERA EVOLUTION SERIES, ALCATEL MRT155 ETC.
MOREOVER, YOU WILL WORK ON LIVE NETWORKS WITH COMPETENT FIELD ENGINEERS ON WEEKENDS LIKE SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS.FOR MORE INFO,SEND A MAIL TO NEONET4NEONET@GMAIL.COM (What should I do?)

I dont think i'm in the best position to advise you on how to spend your money.

While i believe no knowledge is a waste, i am more concerned here about the cost of the program, the duration and their ability to secure you the internship promised.

There is also every possibility you will be competing with graduates and certified professionals who take the course with you, further limiting your chances unless you come out tops.

If you have the money and time now, you can do it and boost your cv. You might also want to postpone it until after your CCNA.

I wont recommend anything less than 6 months hands on training for you sha, based on JAMB
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 9:40am On Oct 19, 2011
I am glad for your reply. I am going for CCNA, after which I proceed for others.
Thank you so much.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 9:58am On Oct 19, 2011
You might also want to postpone it until after your CCNA.

I wont recommend anything less than 6 months hands on training for you sha, based on JA
MB

ON THE ABOVE, you advised me on nothing less than 6 months.
Please I want to finalize my IT career decision NOW.
Should I enroll for DNIIT or CCNA?
What I mean is whether CCNA is different from DNIIT or are they treated the same time?
Thank you so much, this is the last of disturbance you will get from me on this issue.
I appreciate your concerns so far for me, yea I really do.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 10:07am On Oct 19, 2011
When you enroll for DNIIT, they will teach you A+, N+, CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCDBA, JAVA and a host of other things over the 3 years.

If you get to Onitsha and they dont have DNIIT there and you cant do it in Owerri or PH, then starting with CCNA might be a good compromise.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 9:26pm On Oct 19, 2011
I thank you a millionXs on all that you have led me on so far here.
I went to NIIT Centre here in Onitsha today and they told me that the DNIIT is a Diploma Certificate that I will get after a 1-year studies during a 3-years program of Network Engineering, just as you have told me before, which will be given to me after a second semester of the 3 years program. They advised me on CCNA, which they said is N125,000 for a period of 3 - 4 months, if my dream of IT career is Telecom sector. They further made me to know that the 3 years program is at the cost of N130,000 per semester (6 months makes a semester as they said). This totally means that in a year I will pay N260,000, which is dam too much for my reach. I am looking forward to enroll for CCNA.
But my present research and quest now is, which of the centres in Nigeria is good enough for me to do the CCNA, because the customer service person there, told me that I will have to go to PH for the certified Exam when the time comes for the exam, because they don't take CCNA Exam in Onitsha. Within me, I was quickly made to feel that PH might be more equipped and as well be a better place for me to enroll for the training. Just need a better centre out of experience please. Pardon me please for this disturbance again. Thank you.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 9:43pm On Oct 19, 2011
The reason i recommended DNIIT was because of the BSc.

1. What did they say will happen after the 3rd year?

2. What is the payment plan? Is it monthly? How much?

3. Can you shuttle PH from Ebonyi 3ce a week?

4. We'll tackle the ccna after these.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 9:54pm On Oct 19, 2011
I believe i mentioned earlier that the program is N500k to N900k at N25k monthly.

If you knew you couldnt afford that, you could have given a hint.

Can you afford the monthly payments?

You might need to visit NIIT PH and make further enquiries, especially on the BSc top-up and their payment plans.

Also visit AfriHUB while in PH. Their CCNA is like N80k.

You can get CCNA for less than that if you shop around.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 10:33pm On Oct 19, 2011
Ok, I will definitely shop around, but is AfriHub recognized as NIIT?
I wouldn't mind doing the CCNA with NIIT as far as they are highly recognized. But it must be PH Centre or Lagos I suppose, or what do advice?
Thanks and remain blessed.
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 10:55pm On Oct 19, 2011
Recognition doesnt count here.

What matters is the quality of their trainers and the equipment they have. You can ask to see these before you enrol.

Remember that CCNA is just a starting point. You still have a long way to go.

All the best!
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by yamakuza: 11:26pm On Oct 19, 2011
You might also want to consider TTC Mobile in Lagos or PH.

www.ttcmobileworld.com/Net_Failure.aspx

www.ttcmobileworld.com/training.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Their 3 - 6 months training covers A+, N+, S+, CCNA and Telecoms.

What will you do for BSc? NOUN?
Re: Should I Enroll For A Part-time Degree or Focus On It Career In Oracle? by davmor(m): 1:12am On Oct 20, 2011
I am browsing the web you posted to me now.
I can't stop thanking you.
I really want to know what you are doing now, whether a student or a working class.

Anyways, for the Bsc, I actually applied for Unizik Part-time programme, I applied for Sociology/Anthropology.
And as it is now, am doing all these alone, no sponsor so I want to get IT career Cert. first, get job and save for my degree studies.

(1) (Reply)

My Informal Letter To Yahoo Boys / Choice / AVEVA Plant Design Management System PDMS Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.