Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims (34645 Views)

10 Famous People In History That Went Bankrupt / Kano: Security Council Declares Phone Snatching As Armed Robbery / Symporosa Otunuya Otike Odibe Buried In Lagos Amid Tears (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by FreeStuffsNG: 9:18pm On Sep 05, 2023
Britain’s second-largest city effectively declares itself bankrupt amid $950 million equal pay claims

Birmingham's council provides services for over a million people.

Britain’s second-biggest city effectively declared itself bankrupt on Tuesday, shutting down all nonessential spending after being issued with equal pay claims totaling up to £760 million ($956 million).

Birmingham City Council, which provides services for more than one million people, filed a Section 114 notice on Tuesday, halting all spending except on essential services.

The deficit arose due to difficulties paying between £650 million (around $816 million) and £760 million (around $954 million) in equal pay claims, the notice report says.

The city now expects to have a deficit of £87 million ($109 million) for the 2023-24 financial year.

Sharon Thompson, deputy leader of the council, told councilors on Tuesday it faces “longstanding issues, including the council’s historic equal pay liability concerns,” according to the United Kingdom’s PA Media news agency.

Thompson also blamed in part the UK’s ruling Conservative Party, saying Birmingham “had £1 billion of funding taken away by successive Conservative governments.”

The UK economy still can't cope with the consequences of Brexit

“Local government is facing a perfect storm,” she said. “Like councils across the country, it is clear that this council faces unprecedented financial challenges, from huge increases in adult social care demand and dramatic reductions in business rates incomes, to the impact of rampant inflation.”

“Whilst the council is facing significant challenges, the city is very much still open for business and we’re welcoming people as they come along,” she added.

A spokesperson for UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak told reporters on Tuesday: “Clearly it’s for locally elected councils to manage their own budgets.” The spokesperson added that the government has been “engaging regularly with them to that end and has expressed concern about their governance arrangements and has requested assurances from the leader of the council about the best use of taxpayers’ money.”

The council’s leader John Cotton elsewhere told the BBC that a new jobs model would be brought into the council to tackle the equal pay claims bill.

The multicultural city is the largest in central England. It hosted last year’s Commonwealth Games, a major sporting event for Commonwealth countries, and is scheduled to hold the 2026 European Athletics Championships.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/05/economy/birmingham-council-bankrupt-uk-gbr-intl/index.html

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by Domaining101: 9:18pm On Sep 05, 2023
grin

3 Likes

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by FreeStuffsNG: 9:18pm On Sep 05, 2023
Birmingham lule pii. That Brexit has turned out to be more of a curse than blessings to the United Kingdom.

It's the fallout of pride. Pride goeth before a fall. They wanted a return to the days of imperial Britain where they are lord over other nations but today all they got after Brexit is disgrace and a bleak future.Check my signature for free stuffs!

93 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by TemplarLandry: 9:20pm On Sep 05, 2023
cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by fuckJones(f): 9:26pm On Sep 05, 2023
let us blame tinubu

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by decatalyst(m): 9:50pm On Sep 05, 2023
Shebi Britain wants to stand alone and aloof ni, they will lick their wounds for a very long time.

Your economic is in shambles, with aging population, and unnecessary finance of proxy wars, yet you dey break away from EU without concrete economic roadmap 😆

It's a bad time to travel go school, tourism, work, and flex in UK. The taxes will be bigger than Olumo rock 🤣

UK citizens and the Jakpad population, the shege is coming, rumbling like a great storm.

Brace up, winter is coming 😁

154 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by VikingKing: 10:02pm On Sep 05, 2023
This is the type of news APC use in deceiving Nigerians into thinking that they should be content with their disastrous government.

DONT BE DECEIVED!! BRITAINS WORST IS STILL 10 TIMES BETTER THAN NIGERIAS BEST!!

165 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by akingangan: 10:04pm On Sep 05, 2023
Think twice before Japaing

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by Bigboytinz: 10:11pm On Sep 05, 2023
Naija Japarians to the rescue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by godofuck231: 10:44pm On Sep 05, 2023
This is what happens when the government over taxes its citizens , a rise in tide lifts all boats , the uk government is over doing too much it need to step-down on actions and activities not necessarily for human existence

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by gaby(m): 2:10am On Sep 06, 2023
Dead country.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by MrGreenMavro: 6:13am On Sep 06, 2023
shocked
Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by GlorifiedTunde(m): 6:13am On Sep 06, 2023
The world is currently distressed and economies are crashing!

But for bad leadership, only African nations have what it takes to survive.

But they'll never want us to get it right with leadership, so that they can keep having their way, pilfering our natural resources 🫤

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by money121(m): 6:15am On Sep 06, 2023
Ok
Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by Igbek76: 6:15am On Sep 06, 2023
VikingKing:
This is the type of news APC use in deceiving Nigerians into thinking that they should be content with their disastrous government.

You are but an Animal!

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by dfrost: 6:16am On Sep 06, 2023
Brexit lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by SalamRushdie: 6:17am On Sep 06, 2023
People sold their homes to relocate to this God Forsaken county where its easier for a camel to pass through a needle than for a human being to make it

19 Likes

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by dele1727: 6:17am On Sep 06, 2023
VikingKing:

shocked shocked shocked

I think many of us don't understand a thing or just choose to be plain stupid.....

The Uk has what it calls the waiting list....7.6millon people in the England are waiting to see the doctor....
In Wales 70,000 people are waiting to see the doctor for the past 18 Months...

The other day...doctors talk about Gambia paying $4000 to doctors....but they won't tell you that the cost of studying medicine in the Gambia is $4800 per year....

What is the cost of studying medicine in the UK? £9,000 pounds per year... people will go to ife or Lag or last for #25,000 per year and be asking to be paid the same with those that go to school with $4,800 and £9,000

What is the cost of housing? Or electricity or health insurance? Or transportation?
The only thing cheap in the uk is food and that is rising as well...
And when we talk of Minimum wage... what is the difference between the politicians and the Civil servants ? What most of them take home is far greater than their salary

Their system is no longer working...they now need new breds of Slaves....

You may curse APC and PDP or APGA....

But never curse Nigeria....when you compare countries do it holistically

83 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by DenreleDave(m): 6:17am On Sep 06, 2023
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by captainamiedi1: 6:18am On Sep 06, 2023
But how is their currency still very strong? What do they sell? These whole thing I don't understand at all.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by DenreleDave(m): 6:18am On Sep 06, 2023
VikingKing:

U r truly an anim

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by propsvilla2: 6:19am On Sep 06, 2023
Ok
Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by Lovelife433(m): 6:19am On Sep 06, 2023
UK whenever chop dey copy America the sponsor proxy war. The form strong goat.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by Akaegwu(m): 6:19am On Sep 06, 2023
Essential services is the real deal which is unavailable in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by kaludestiny10(m): 6:22am On Sep 06, 2023
At least, the city is able to provide essential services to the citizens.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by BigDawsNet: 6:22am On Sep 06, 2023
Whats happening in the UK this days

I don't want this country to cast oh...

The British elders should find a solution

10 Likes

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by Miles300: 6:22am On Sep 06, 2023
captainamiedi1:
But how is their currency still very strong? What do they sell? These whole thing I don't understand at all.
they are an exporting nation

5 Likes

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by Cmanforall: 6:22am On Sep 06, 2023
Are they taking refugees?

Asians/Pakistanis full Birmingham

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by Proffdada: 6:23am On Sep 06, 2023
dem go hear wheeen, USA will soon join them since china has started making their own chips BRICS is arising

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by FuckTheMod: 6:26am On Sep 06, 2023
Japa people don't mind grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Birmingham City Council Declares Itself Bankrupt Amid $950m Pay Claims by FuckTheMod: 6:27am On Sep 06, 2023
Ad123:
Please dear people of Nairaland forgive me,
Have mercy on me, if I can help myself I won't be here begging for your help, please come to my aid, I've been seeking assistance on nairaland.
I'm  celestine am 31 year of age frm Enugu State Awgu L G A.I have a spine injury @ neck that has have keeps me indoor mostly for d past 15 years.It also affected my hand making me not able to use my finger normally i.e I can't pick up thing from floor.
my problem now is that life has been very difficult for us I and my aged mom.to provide feeding and some medicine is hard,
I don't have anything doing for now.living with pains and bed sore on both Buttocks and continual urine Infection,Not able to Go for
routine hospital visit due lack of funds.
Please I am pleading to well meaning Nigerians come to our aid, my mom has been sick for long due to complications of poorly manage dia-betes and BP.
I'm asking for your financial help to enable go for medical, the last doctor i see said I need to do MRI scan test, which I don't have the funds for now,pls no matter how
Small it will enable us get some medicine,food and

Celestine
First Bank

[b] YOU'RE A CAREER LAZY BEGGAR

10 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

3 Policemen Dismissed In Lagos For Illegal Arrests And Extortion / Naval Officers Attack Calabar Police Station / Human Butcher Caught In Ilesa, Osun State (see Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.