Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,371 members, 7,822,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? (6835 Views)

When Prayer Is Hard: 10 Bible Verses To Help You Talk To God / Reason Why Our Prayer Is Not Being Answer And The Solution!!! Pleased Read / "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by dtwsola(m): 8:33pm On Oct 16, 2011
I've recently started dating a lovely girl who is also devoutly religious. As a result I've started attending a local RCCG parish here in the States. Whenever the pastor starts prayer session, the church seems to become an instant madhouse. People running about, laying on the ground, spazzing out, acting like nut-jobs, and asking for God to rain fire on everything. One elderly man at the church even started shaking me, telling me I was not praying hard enough. "Pray like a NIgerian" he yelled. Nigerian pentecostal style of prayer is extremely forceful and violent. Has this type of gra-gra prayer proven to be more effective than just simply asking God your requests without all the shouting, screaming sweating, and catching epileptic seizures. I mean with all of the violent prayer in Nigeria compared to the much more muted Western style, Nigerians are generally still far worse off. Why is it that Nigerians pray in this manner? Does this style make your prayers more likely to be answered? I left Nigeria at a young age, and I guess I am Westernized in my attitude about prayer (and religion in general). Shouldn't a sincere prayer with a righteous heart be sufficient and effective? Does God require all the demo. I am a laid back gentleman and it is not in my nature to act like a crazy person. Her pastor and others have advised her about having relations with me because of a sense that I was not spiritual. I am a skeptical person by nature, but I have a spiritual side. This is an honest question. I don't wanna lose this girl.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by jahmed(m): 5:04am On Oct 17, 2011
not at all theyre big fakers
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 17, 2011
my dear poster please be who you are. All of them can tumble and somersault its their own cup ot tea. Build your relationship on mutual respect. Don't force her not to go there and don't allow her to force you to go there. When she notices that your prayers are being answered with the way you pray, she may have a rethink.
I have heard crazier things. During a house fellowship a pastor once told me to pray in my dialect because some prayers can only be effective when prayed so. I gave him the stare of his life and he got the message and quickly left my front. Be yourself.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Image123(m): 10:19am On Oct 17, 2011
You MUST be born again
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Daiquiri: 10:44am On Oct 17, 2011
dtw_sola:

I've recently started dating a lovely girl who is also devoutly religious. As a result I've started attending a local RCCG parish here in the States. Whenever the pastor starts prayer session, the church seems to become an instant madhouse. People running about, laying on the ground, spazzing out, acting like nut-jobs, and asking for God to rain fire on everything. One elderly man at the church even started shaking me, telling me I was not praying hard enough. "Pray like a NIgerian" he yelled.

Nigerian pentecostal style of prayer is extremely forceful and violent.

Has this type of gra-gra prayer proven to be more effective
than just simply asking God your requests without all the shouting, screaming sweating, and catching epileptic seizures.

I mean with all of the violent prayer in Nigeria compared to the much more muted Western style, Nigerians are generally still far worse off.

Why is it that Nigerians pray in this manner?

Does this style make your prayers more likely to be answered?

I left Nigeria at a young age, and I guess I am Westernized in my attitude about prayer (and religion in general).

Shouldn't a sincere prayer with a righteous heart be sufficient and effective?

Does God require all the demo.

I am a laid back gentleman and it is not in my nature to act like a crazy person

Her pastor and others have advised her about having relations with me because of a sense that I was not spiritual. I am a skeptical person by nature, but I have a spiritual side. This is an honest question. I don't wanna lose this girl.

^
God is not moved by emotion, not energies-in-motion but by faith and righteousness

However, if or when push turns to shove, you'll change gear and act like you're crazy

In addition to "Shouldn't a sincere prayer with a righteous heart be sufficient and effective" Hannah's style is not bad too ( i.e. muted Western style)

- it was sufficient and effective
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Joagbaje(m): 1:38pm On Oct 17, 2011
dtw_sola:

?  Does this style make your prayers more likely to be answered? I left Nigeria at a young age, and I guess I am Westernized in my attitude about prayer (and religion in general)n. Shouldn't a sincere prayer with a righteous heart be sufficient and effective?  Does God require all the demo. I am a laid back gentleman and it is not in my nature to act like a crazy person. Her pastor  and others have advised her about having relations with me because of a sense that I was not spiritual. I am a skeptical person by nature, but I have a spiritual side. This is an honest question. I don't wanna lose this girl.

There is no Nigerian style of prayers. I think you need to recieve the holy spirit. There is a praying in the ability of the spirit . And prayer of authority. Every person who have recieved the holyghost prays loud when there's need for such. Regardless of race and culture. Americans, European all do. But those who haven't recieved the holyghost may not have such energetic experience. I'm not aware they did silent prayer on the Pentecost day.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyJI9xDUYV8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/flash]
[flash=400,300]http://www.youtube.com/?v/h8pWtpOWQ-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/flash]
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by nlMediator: 2:24pm On Oct 17, 2011
^^
Apparently, you've not been to many European or American churches where they have received the Holy Ghost. Many there do not necessarily display the kind of energy that Nigerians exhibit. Of course, among them are also those that pray with much energy. But it would be a mistake to isolate those as the only ones filled with the Holy Ghost.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 17, 2011
Joagbaje:

There is no Nigerian style of prayers. I think you need to recieve the holy spirit. There is a praying in the ability of the spirit . And prayer of authority. Every person who have recieved the holyghost prays loud when there's need for such. Regardless of race and culture. Americans, European all do. But those who haven't recieved the holyghost may not have such energetic experience. I'm not aware they did silent prayer on the Pentecost day.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyJI9xDUYV8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/flash]
[flash=400,300]http://www.youtube.com/?v/h8pWtpOWQ-k&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/flash]

She went full ret@rd!!
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by nlMediator: 2:33pm On Oct 17, 2011
dtw_sola:

I've recently started dating a lovely girl who is also devoutly religious. As a result I've started attending a local RCCG parish here in the States. Whenever the pastor starts prayer session, the church seems to become an instant madhouse. People running about, laying on the ground, spazzing out, acting like nut-jobs, and asking for God to rain fire on everything. One elderly man at the church even started shaking me, telling me I was not praying hard enough. "Pray like a NIgerian" he yelled. Nigerian pentecostal style of prayer is extremely forceful and violent. Has this type of gra-gra prayer proven to be more effective than just simply asking God your requests without all the shouting, screaming sweating, and catching epileptic seizures. I mean with all of the violent prayer in Nigeria compared to the much more muted Western style, Nigerians are generally still far worse off. Why is it that Nigerians pray in this manner? Does this style make your prayers more likely to be answered? I left Nigeria at a young age, and I guess I am Westernized in my attitude about prayer (and religion in general). Shouldn't a sincere prayer with a righteous heart be sufficient and effective? Does God require all the demo. I am a laid back gentleman and it is not in my nature to act like a crazy person. Her pastor and others have advised her about having relations with me because of a sense that I was not spiritual. I am a skeptical person by nature, but I have a spiritual side. This is an honest question. I don't wanna lose this girl.

I think you're conflating two things: your spiritual state and your prayer style. Readin your post closely, I believe the concern of the church leadership is more with the former than the latter. The starting point would be to get born again and be filled with the Holy Spirit. After that, even if you continue to pray 'like a gentleman' nobody would hassle you. You may even find out you like to pray the way the others do. On the other hand, if your spiritual state is dead, jumping up and down in prayer will not convince any leader sensitive in the spirit. Another thing to note is that this girl may be praying the same way at home. Would you be able to stand that? Finally, for what is worth, I generally do not pray the Nigerian style even when in Nigeria. But nobody to my knowledge has questioned my salvation in church. Sometimes, though, I pray that way. It relates sometimes to fervency - how passionate you are about what you're praying about. Before you know it, you abandon yourself and start acting 'ungentlemanly.'
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by born2boink(m): 10:31am On Oct 18, 2011
Come to Calabar church in Lagos and witness booty dance, I have attended it twice with  a friend for booty viewing reason but could not cope  because I didn't understand their language and CAC, Their own na witches and wizard prayer, I don't like that church while mountain of fire self dey pray, RCCG own still small,  me don tire for our churches because whenever dey are praying, i open my eyes watching them display or watches Nyanshes when they are dancing
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by rotex2010: 10:43am On Oct 18, 2011
Poster has asked a valid question joo. Do Europeans serve a different God from Africans? Why don't they start their own prayer meetings with casting and binding and loosing? Why don't they chase wizards and witches away? Why do they not appear to have ancestral curses?
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by abhosts(m): 10:46am On Oct 18, 2011
Acts 4:31-- And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

Acts 2:12-13-- And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What means this? Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 18, 2011
The kingdom of heaven suffereth Violence and the violent taketh it by force, If there can be violence even in the most orderly environment which most Christians believe to be heaven, A place were there is no stealing, lying, fighting or death, And people still have to be a little violent to take stuffs there. So why can't you demand for your goodies from earth Violently, You need to be more violent!!!
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by chmod777: 10:59am On Oct 18, 2011
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Christian means Christlike.
How did Christ teach you should pray.
How did Christ pray,How did he pray even on the cross. How was his first miracle at the weeding ?
What is prayers ?

Be sincere and remove sentiments and mindset.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:01am On Oct 18, 2011
@ OP

IMO, that shit is just straight up retarded,

When people pray like that, its as a result of the euphoria that the crowd is feeling. I remember their was this church that I once visited, I honestly detached all emotions and sat in the audience as an observer watching proceedings, what I realized was that when it came to prayer time, the band played this rather hypnotizing music that one couldnt just help feeling amped. Its almost like you are in a trans. A classic exeample is Mountain of Fire ministries., if you attend their services, what you would realize is that just before prayers begin, the pastor would push the sermon into high gear, the tempo would change, the would start moving around more, his voice would be high pitched, the preaching would be filled with charged messages, slowly but surely the pastor is whipping his crowd into a frenzy. You would start hearing scriptures like "Since the days of whoever the kingdom of God has suffered violence, and the violent taketh it by force", "put on the armour of God", "We war not against flesh and blood", "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal", e.t.c. All this time, the band is still playing this hypnotic tune in the background, then out of the blues, the preacher would order everybody to jump to their feet and go to war and then pandemonium would break out in the church, people would start vibrating, some would be groaning and making funny sounds, others would start speaking gibberish (tongues), some would start crying and the madness would be everywhere. SOme would even run out to the altar and lie there and all sorts of drama. In a crowd like that, even a skeptic could be swept up in the emotions if care isnt taken.
Now!! In the middle of this madness, it is quite easy or one to loose the plot of prayers which is communication with GOD (the heavenly father). Especially with mountain of fire, all you hear is "DIE BY FIRE", Yes!! "My sickness, die by fire", "my problems, die by fire", "My enemies, die by fire", etc. Some would "speak in tongues all through and would end up not even stating what it was they where praying for. There have even been situations where the pastor has asked the congregation to pray in "tongues", YES!!

So O.P!! is it more effective, frankly i'll say its the same old bullsh!t, different toilets. Jesus never prayed like that so where is this style from? And if praying is indeed talking to GOD, do you want to be yellig ta God?
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by abhosts(m): 11:05am On Oct 18, 2011
chmod777:

How did Christ pray,How did he pray even on the cross. How was his first miracle at the weeding ?
What is prayers ?

Thanks

Luke 22:44-- And being in agony He was praying very FERVENTLY; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by lurkee(f): 11:20am On Oct 18, 2011
Okija_juju:

@ OP

IMO, that poo is just straight up slow,

When people pray like that, its as a result of the euphoria that the crowd is feeling. I remember their was this church that I once visited, I honestly detached all emotions and sat in the audience as an observer watching proceedings, what I realized was that when it came to prayer time, the band played this rather hypnotizing music that one couldnt just help feeling amped. Its almost like you are in a trans. A classic exeample is Mountain of Fire ministries., if you attend their services, what you would realize is that just before prayers begin, the pastor would push the sermon into high gear, the tempo would change, the would start moving around more, his voice would be high pitched, the preaching would be filled with charged messages, slowly but surely the pastor is whipping his crowd into a frenzy. You would start hearing scriptures like "Since the days of whoever the kingdom of God has suffered violence, and the violent taketh it by force", "put on the armour of God", "We war not against flesh and blood", "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal", e.t.c. All this time, the band is still playing this hypnotic tune in the background, then out of the blues, the preacher would order everybody to jump to their feet and go to war and then pandemonium would break out in the church, people would start vibrating, some would be groaning and making funny sounds, others would start speaking gibberish (tongues), some would start crying and the madness would be everywhere. SOme would even run out to the altar and lie there and all sorts of drama. In a crowd like that, even a skeptic could be swept up in the emotions if care isnt taken.
Now!! In the middle of this madness, it is quite easy or one to loose the plot of prayers which is communication with GOD (the heavenly father). Especially with mountain of fire, all you hear is "DIE BY FIRE",  Yes!! "My sickness, die by fire", "my problems, die by fire", "My enemies, die by fire", etc. Some would "speak in tongues all through and would end up not even stating what it was they where praying for. There have even been situations where the pastor has asked the congregation to pray in "tongues",  YES!!

So O.P!! is it more effective, frankly i'll say its the same old bullsh!t, different toilets. Jesus never prayed like that so where is this style from? And if praying is indeed talking to GOD, do you want to be yellig ta God?

I honestly agree with you 100%. I think a lot of the pentecostal churches hypnotise people in the name of the Holy Ghost. I remember this time I went to camp as a teenager. They were having one of those "Speaking in tongues" by force service. Anyway with the music, making us repeat the same words over and over again, the screaming of people, the laying of hands and all the things the do to you to make you feel the "Holy Ghost", I actually collapsed. Like the OP, I am a spiritual person and not overtly religious and I know it was not God because I did not get any divine message when I fell. I could hear everything around me but I felt weak and could not rise. It took a while for me to get up and walk back to my seat. Everybody must have thought God arrested me or I had some evil spirit inside me but I knew it was because of the words I was chanting and the clapping. Since then, I have refused to allow myself to be carried away in church. I open my eyes even when they say you shouldn't, I refuse to clap repeatedly and chant fire fire fire and things like that. I still get emotional and cry when praying but this usually happens during normal church worship and not all those revival services.

To the OP, if you like the girl, do not let your style of worship affect hers and vice versa. Christianity is a personal relationship with God and not dog follow dog.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by girlsupersonic(f): 11:28am On Oct 18, 2011
When you pray you communicate with God and if you can feel Him youll respond the way it moves you so for me the ultimate is to know God and then see how you wil respond. You dont even know how much problems we have in Africa to be comparing yourslf to Westerners. When you go to ur village and see d wierdest things and hear d wierdest stories, it would even beat u how they knew your names! For the op i think you shouldnt try pleasing anyone but God and no matter how much Westernized you think u are, you have a history totally different from theirs.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by binigirl(f): 11:29am On Oct 18, 2011
@ Poster: I am an RCCG member here in Nigeria & i can tell u categorically dat there is no particular style of praying, jst try 2 pray as u are led & make sure u r nt fakin it cos den ur prayers wont be answered. Also ask d Holy Spirit 4 guidance wen u want 2 pray cos He is d only one dat can help u nt any human being, its obvious u love dis lady, make her understand dat u love her cos dats all dat matters & nt whether u pray like a Nigerian or an American,
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by omo9ja1(m): 11:47am On Oct 18, 2011
I think the motive is very important, you need to be yourself and allow the holy spirit to teach you how to pray, I have similar experience when I was still in Nigeria few years ago, I am a kind of gentleman so I believe in God trinity and pray as am lead, But I went with a friend to a evening all night prayer meeting One hundred prayer points on witches and wizard, ogbanje,ebere etc, I end up looking round and my friend shouted at be to prayer like tomorrow will never come, but I did as am lead

To God be the Glory
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by TenKobo1: 11:52am On Oct 18, 2011
There is confusion in christendom and because religion has become an intolerant tool of manipulation in the hands of those who lead the pack, dissent is seen as an abomination. But scripturally speaking, if christianity is the simplicity of christ, then those gyrating in the name of prayers are simply fooling themselves. God is our father and we speak to God as sons speak to their fathers. No sane son will be screaming at a father in the name of asking him for help. If you truly believe that God lives in you and that he hears every communication, even the unspoken ones uttered in thought, then ignore the madding crowd and be yourself. The more Nigerians gyrate in their so called dangerous prayers, the more social despondency, all manners of ills and inadequacies pile up at home. That should tell you that God is not interested in those noise.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 18, 2011
angry the question was "the style of prayer in Nigeria-is it effective?" nat "violent prayer in mountain fire-is it recommended?for em who hate dat church!whether u pray violently or not,provided it is from ur heart i tell u,ur prayers will be heard!u see praying in Nigeria has been misunderstood?u mustn't tear ur flesh lyk the worshippers of baal just make sure u pray from ur heart!the style of praying in Nigeria z effective though.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by executinal(m): 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2011
Okija_juju:

@ OP

IMO, that poo is just straight up slow,

Now!! In the middle of this madness, it is quite easy or one to loose the plot of prayers which is communication with GOD (the heavenly father). Especially with mountain of fire, all you hear is "DIE BY FIRE", Yes!! "My sickness, die by fire", "my problems, die by fire", "My enemies, die by fire", etc. Some would "speak in tongues all through and would end up not even stating what it was they where praying for. There have even been situations where the pastor has asked the congregation to pray in "tongues", YES!!

@Okija-juju you equally go to church? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, I hope the power pass your own power grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Konjour(m): 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2011
grin grin grin LMAO at Topic. Nigerians pray like the devil is standing right in front of them holding a three-pronged garden fork,yet Nigerians are

among the most scrutinized nationals abroad,and Nigeria is feared among the global heavyweights of corruption. undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by chmod777: 12:28pm On Oct 18, 2011
abhosts:

Luke 22:44-- And being in agony He was praying very FERVENTLY; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.
My brother what is fervent, see: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fervent
It says intensely passionate,
Archaic or poetic boiling, burning. It never said going mad. What does it mean to feel moved, this should explain fervent.
The problem in the world is the :
we all look but we see differently, we all listen but we hear differently. These tend to give birth to multiplicity of meanings most times to soot our interest and ego. The fact remains that there is an absolute truth.
He was asked " master how can we pray" and he answered : when you pray say , > >

If you are christ-like that means pray like christ did. When you add yours there is an obvious deviation. I wish people could reason well about our Lords prayers. It sets a simple, humble and yet complete and comprehensive guideline.
Remember Christ also said "do not be like the pharisees who think that by repeating themselves loud enough, then the would be heard by God." Some portions might contradict this in letters but what example did Jesus set. Follow it if you are chrsit-like (Christian)
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by chmod777: 12:34pm On Oct 18, 2011
I am proud I have Nigerians who reason like [b]Ten Kobo and executione[/b]r. God bless you guys for speaking out the truth with great intelligence
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by Orikinla(m): 12:43pm On Oct 18, 2011
99.99% of Nigerians claiming to be "Christians" are HYPOCRITES and LIARS. Forget their emotional outbursts and all their melodramatic lip service and eye service. God knows His true Children. He only listens to those who worship HIM in Spirit and in Truth. Majority of Nigerians are possessed by the Spirit of Dog. That is why they behave like dogs. Read the Holy Bible. Read what Jesus Christ said in Matthew 7 and Matthew 25 and follow What he said in those two chapters. That's all. No pastor is God. Just listen and obey God and God alone. I know what I am telling you. I am a member of the RCCG (since 1997). I have worked in the office of the G.O. Everything we agreed in prayer has come to pass. And we did not make noise or jerking all over the place before HE heard and answered our prayers. I recommend you read my book "The Nigerian Fools Who Think They Can Fool God". Get it on Amazon and read it. The book is filled with facts of the truth about the state of Christianity in Nigeria. There is nothing strange about what you have seen and still seeing among Nigerian "christians" and the legions of hypocrites at large. God knows the sheep from the goats in majority. The fools who think they can fool God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by violent(m): 12:53pm On Oct 18, 2011
God will not answer your prayers faster simply because your screams were louder than your neighbour's

God will not answer your prayers faster simply because you repeated the prayer points raised by the pastor a million times over

The bible says "if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, then you can say to the mountain, be thou removed and be thou casted into the sea". . . .what you need is faith, Anna prayed to the lord by simply moving her lips!!!!
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by PastorsKid: 12:54pm On Oct 18, 2011
@ poster.

Two important points:

1. Prayer is a personal thing. Its between you and God. Its a two way communication.

2. There are different types of prayers.

A question for you sir: Were you born again before joining the RCCG church or you got born again in the church?

Its very difficult to explain the art of prayer to someone who is not born again. But if you are born again, I will gladly share some salient points about prayer with you if you do not mind.

There is no Nigerian or African style of prayer.

I've recently started dating a lovely girl who is also devoutly religious. As a result I've started attending a local RCCG parish here in the States.
Your motive for attending the church, i believe is the girl, so the tendency of you seeing "wrong" things in the church is very high. You will definitely tend to disagree with a lot of their activities because the only thing that appeals to you in the church is the girl you are dating. This is very evident in your description and choice of words about the manner they pray.

Does this style make your prayers more likely to be answered?
Shouting does not make God answer your prayers. In fact, your acrobatics does not move God to do anything cos He has already done everything!
Depending on what you are praying about, you outward expression does not make things happen cos its your faith that actually connects to God and not your gimmicks. Faith is the response of the human spirit to the word of God. There are times you shout when praying not because you want God to hear you but for some reasons known to your spirit as you pray, for example, it might be that as you pray your mind is telling you contrary things but your spirit gets a different signal from God, so in other to drown the doubts, you might need to shout out what your spirit is telling you at that time.
God is not deaf whether you shout or do your kind of prayers.

Her pastor  and others have advised her about having relations with me because of a sense that I was not spiritual. I am a skeptical person by nature, but I have a spiritual side.
Your spirituality is not connected to your shoutings in prayers but you cannot hide your spirituality if you are truely so. Your spirituality is expected to help your relations with people, you are supposed to see people the way God sees them and not condemning them cos of what you see them doing. When you are spiritual, your perspective of people will change and you will easily love them no matter who or what they do. If her Pastor is already advising her to consider breaking up with you, i advise you start thinking of forgetting the girl or let your spiritual side take over your life and see right.

This is an honest question. I don't wanna lose this girl.
Bros, if you continue the way you've started, even if you do not lose the girl now, you will lose her later.

My final word to you: your perspective of people needs to change, see people through the eyes of God, do not talk them down. About your girl and RCCG church; your motive of coming into the church is questionable but it can still lead to a good end. Get your priorities right and move on in life.

Wish you the best in life, let me know when you eventually settle down with the girl.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by texazzpete(m): 1:03pm On Oct 18, 2011
abhosts:

I implore you, refrain from using words when you do not know their meanings.

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by bizgirl(f): 1:07pm On Oct 18, 2011
to be candid, it depends on the type and environment of the prayer. and at times u will be so engrossed with ur request that u wont even know when u start d drama before God, just like hannah did in those days till she was accused of drunkeness.

grin grin grin grin in the same vein nigerians are know to be agressive at all time, even when stealing they stael with force, sing and dance with force e.g fela, eat with force,etc. so all these "by/with forces" is gradually been extended to heaven therefore we pray and get answers by force from God.lol grin grin
Re: Nigerian Style Prayer - Is It Effective? by koolJ1(f): 1:25pm On Oct 18, 2011
chmod777:

What is prayers ?

Thanks
spot on!
abhosts:

a dictionary would really go a long way in helpin yu decipher d meanin of dat word
chmod777:

My brother what is fervent, see: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fervent
It says intensely passionate,
Archaic or poetic boiling, burning. It never said going mad. What does it mean to feel moved, this should explain fervent.
The problem in the world is the :
we all look but we see differently, we all listen but we hear differently. These tend to give birth to multiplicity of meanings most times to soot our interest and ego. The fact remains that there is an absolute truth.
He was asked " master how can we pray" and he answered : when you pray say , > >

If you are christ-like that means pray like christ did. When you add yours there is an obvious deviation. I wish people could reason well about our Lords prayers. It sets a simple, humble and yet complete and comprehensive guideline.
Remember Christ also said "do not be like the pharisees who think that by repeating themselves loud enough, then the would be heard by God." Some portions might contradict this in letters but what example did Jesus set. Follow it if you are chrsit-like (Christian)
BOOM!

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". / If Christ Sits On The Right-hand Side Of God, Who Sits On His Left-hand Side? / Temple Of Eckankar, Port Harcourt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.