Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,114 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence (6748 Views)

How To Spot A Bad Girl In Church (photo) / Anglicans Give GEJ 'Award Of Excellence In Christian Stewardship' / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 3:43pm On Aug 11, 2014
If Igbo get Biafra, could there be Christian religious crises? If so, can you guess who the cause might be?

My own analysis of the situation is that there will continue to be pockets of minor Christian religious animosities in Igboland that may affect specific Igbo communities, but it will not be elevated to the level that will threaten the Igbo nation at large because we do not have a history of large-scale religion-motivated societal unrest in Igboland. However, signals emanating from the Catholic and Anglican churches in Igboland are indicating that both are mutually quite intolerant of each other. They should thread carefully, keeping in mind what the intolerance by Islam of other religions is causing globally today.

Even within the Catholic community there seem not to be perfect peace. For example, does any of you remember a few years ago when the Catholic Church in Mbaise, Imo State rose stoutly against the appointment of an Anambra Bishop in their Diocese? The last I know about that issue, it took the Pope from far away Rome to calm frayed nerves and resolve the matter.

Now, this quoted piece below is quite worrisome. I agree I cannot vouch for its authenticity. I just copied it verbatim from a facebook page. So there could be a little bit of sentiments and embellishments here and there in the story. But given the extent to which Catholics have given indications of discrimination even against themselves, I will not be surprised if it turns out to be factual that the lady in question was not selected based on her not being Catholic. Who knows what else is happening in the unseen closet of Catholism versus other Anglicanism in Igboland?
====================================================

Has The Church come this low?

While Ebola is at it I got this shocker this morning:
My niece wrote an entrance exam into a school of nursing owned by the Catholic church. When the first result came out she came first, they went for the second round, she was among the best 5, they went for oral interview and she got all the questions but one: ARE YOU A CATHOLIC? She innocently answered no and lost 5 marks on the instant. Those who were catholics had their interview questions to be: recite Hail Mary and some catholic rituals like that. Physical appearance/dressing were checked and she sure made it, at least that's what she thought.
She came home and asked me the need for the church owned school to use denomination to select those that will be trained in the medical field that will after graduation care for people of all DENOMINATIONS(even all faiths) and also if they don't know that their hospital is not patronised by catholics only.
I just told her to expect anything these days but assured her that merit was still effective in the church today.
But I was WRONG.
This morning, just as she returned from the church(Anglican) she received a call that made her cry: the final result has been pasted and she didn't make it.
Their cut off mark was 75 and she was awarded 73. She asked me how that would be possible, I only smiled. She asked how all the people she scored higher than in the first and second exams where she came 1st and 4th now got all the marks that gave them 75 and above and she dropped to 73(over thirty persons were taken). She then tiredly said; IF I WERE A CATHOLIC AND WAS GIVEN THE 5 MARKS, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN 78 AT LEAST. And she started crying again, now for having been dissappointed by the CHURCH.
I consoled and encouraged her to hope for the best as she also wrote the entrance exam for University of Nigeria School of Nursing and the result is due on 27th of this August.
But the truth is that I don't even know who to speak to there on her behalf so that she won't be schemed out, peradventure she does well in the exam.
NOW THIS WORRIES ME:
The security agencies engage in nepotism, bribery and corruption in selection of those who get drafted to serve, the public schools engage in same in giving admissions to prospective students and now the ChURCH, all these people will come out to serve the public, AND THEY BECOME THE MERCHANTS OF LOOT.

Nigeria agwulanu!

Not that I didn't know before now anyway, I just pity the very young girl.

By the way, this happened at Bishop Joseph Shannahan Hospital School of Nursing Nsukka, Catholic Diocese of Nsukka.
Please those who have access to the new Bishop should reach him for a lot of things are going wrong there.
The Bishop is a good man, a seasoned product of Vatican, but he is new there.

There are over 450 responses on the story, but because it is from a closed facebook group (Igboville) non-members may not be able to access and read them. I do not have the time to copy them here.

3 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 3:46pm On Aug 11, 2014
For disclosure, I am an Igbo. I was born a Christian (non-Catholic; non Anglican) but since growing up and leading my own life, I have come to see religion as a problem rather than a solution. So I have lost any true interest in religion. For that reason, in the past 8 years, I have not been to a church service more than 150 times (keep in mind that there are at least 54 Sundays in just one year, so you can imagine how poor my attendance has been during this period), and all of those attendance have been in Catholic churches, just to please someone in my life tongue tongue tongue

Contrary to the above, I have not entered into the church house of an Anglican Church all of my life. This disclosure underscores my non-bias (yes, I am 1000% unbiased towards any of the Christian denominations) involved in this (uncorroborated) story.

6 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 11, 2014
The Last Anambra election turned into an Anglican VS Catholic feud

4 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 11, 2014
Catholic vs anglican.

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 11, 2014
tufiakwa!
Christianity that is supposed to be a religion of peace and love
Some misguided and ignorant people have turned it into something else
How is it different from other religions now?
I hate the idea of this denomination nonsense
It's causing so much confusion now
Can't Christians just become one and unified?
So much conflict and bias
Now how is Christianity different from other religions?
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 3:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
lakhadimar: The Last Anambra election turned into an Anglican VS Catholic feud

Is there also a ''war'' of Catholic v other non-Anglican denominations?
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 11, 2014
ChrisOD:

Is there also a ''war'' of Catholic v other non-Anglican denominations?
Yeah
I know there is an ill feeling between orthodox ibo christians and pentecostal ibo christians

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 4:04pm On Aug 11, 2014
lakhadimar: Yeah
I know there is an ill feeling between orthodox ibo christians and pentecostal ibo christians
I only know of that between Caths and Angs (perhaps has to do with Italy v England shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked). What you said is new to me, but again, I am not a regular, and so could be quite naive on the pervasiveness of these undercurrents.
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by collynzov5: 4:34pm On Aug 11, 2014
Well, they aren't clashing or killing themselves are they?
Stop looking for problems where there is none.

18 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by collynzov5: 4:35pm On Aug 11, 2014
lakhadimar: Yeah
Yoruba man such ill feelings only exist in your wicked imagination.
It is only a matter of time before your Islamic brethren start bombing you to shreds.

13 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 4:42pm On Aug 11, 2014
collynzov5: Well, they aren't clashing or killing themselves are they?

I hope it remains that way.

collynzov5:
Stop looking for problems where there is none.
Really? Are you implying that sacrificing merit for religious affiliations is not a problem? I agree that anyone can choose anyone to work for them as they deem fit, but in this case, the nurse will end up treating both catholics non-catholics, or would they also refuse to admit non-catholics into the hospital?

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 11, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by tpia1: 4:51pm On Aug 11, 2014
Nursing has gotten extremely competitive in nigeria these days, due to the higher profile the profession has received as a result of better job opportunities and good pay.

Its not so easy to enter nursing school anymore.

I guess she should try again or read something else in the meantime.

3 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
collynzov5: Islamic brethren start bombing you to shreds.
There are more churches in Yorubaland than they are anywhere else in Nigeria.

The Yorubas arent bigoted and religiously intolerant like you ibos and hausas.

The redemeed christian church just concluded their convention recently, it was the largest christian gathering in Africa and the venue was at the redeemed camp in Ogun state, Yorubaland. The Osun Osogbo festival will commence next week and as expected, its going to be the largest gathering of African Traditional believers; the venue would be at Osogbo, Osun state, Yorubaland.

When it comes to Religious tolerance, you have to give it to the yorubas

17 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
collynzov5: Yoruba man such ill feelings only exist in your wicked imagination.
It is only a matter of time before your Islamic brethren start bombing you to shreds.

Don't mind him. When it happens, you can be sure that if Igbos have 10 religious problems, Yorubas would have 100, and hausa/fulani and the northern minorities 1000. It is going to be that logarithmic grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by modhream: 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2014
ChrisOD: For disclosure, I am an Igbo. I was born a Christian (non-Catholic) but since growing up and leading my own life, I have come to see religion as a problem rather than a solution. So I have lost any true interest in religion. For that reason, in the past 8 years, I have not been to Church more than 150 times (keep in mind that there are at least 54 Sundays in just one year, so you can imagine how poor my attendance has been during this period), and all of those attendance have been in Catholic churches, just to please someone in my life tongue tongue tongue

This disclosure underscores my non-bias (yes, I am 1000% unbiased towards any of the Christian denominations) in this story.
A lot of inconsistences in the OP already exposed ur bias.
For the record,the Catholic church or more correctly,Catholic-owned educational institutions do not discriminate in intake of students based on faith profession,all is based on merit.
There's no link to this ur fairy-tale,so no way to ask the author to provide more details for one to take it up from there.
By the way,Obi,Ngige,Obiano et al are all Catholics,so where u got ur Anambra Catholic v Anglican nonsense is what I don't know.

9 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 4:55pm On Aug 11, 2014
lakhadimar: There are more churches in Yorubaland than they are anywhere else in Nigeria.

This is untrue, with 50% of Yorubas being Muslims. Moreover, proliferation of different churches is not equal to number of Christians. Yorubas are known for proliferating anything in the world, aka quantity

5 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2014
modhream:
A lot of inconsistences in the OP already exposed ur bias.
For the record,the Catholic church or more correctly,Catholic-owned educational institutions do not discriminate in intake of students based on faith profession,all is based on merit.
There's no link to this ur fairy-tale,so no way to ask the author to provide more details for one to take it up from there.
By the way,Obi,Ngige,Obiano et al are all Catholics,so where u got ur Anambra Catholic v Anglican nonsense is what I don't know.

Did you read my opening comment and the second post from me?

Are you sure that Obi and Ngige and Obiano are all Catholics?

And here is the link. https://www./igboville/
Like I said, it is a closed group and you have to be a member to read and comment.

1 Like

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 4:58pm On Aug 11, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

#I can bet most anglicans and catholics in the east dont even know why they're fighting.

I believe this, but then it also speaks of a growing trend of being brainwashed. It is not good for Igbos who fight any ''war'' not to know why they are doing so?
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by modhream: 5:05pm On Aug 11, 2014
ChrisOD:

Did you read my opening comment and the second post from me?
I read everything.
U started out with a mindset,threw in what is purely politics as if having religious undertone into the mix,then tried to back it up with an unconfirmed tale from an unreliable/unknown source.
Did I leave anything out?.
I'm currently in the East,my family consist of Catholics,Anglicans n Pentecostals.
Whatever feud there be exist only in ur fevered imagination.
And u didn't even know Obi,Ngige,Obiano,Soludo et al are Catholics?.Smh
The only Anglican in their midst is Andy Uba n one has never heard him complain of being discriminated against cos of his denomination

5 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 11, 2014
ChrisOD:

This is untrue, with 50% of Yorubas being Muslims. Moreover, proliferation of different churches is not equal to number of Christians. Yorubas are known for proliferating anything in the world, aka quantity
You do not know anything about the Yoruba religious pluralism.

The redeemed christian chirch just concluded their convention and i know a lot of Yoruba moslems that attended. The Osun Osogbo festival will commence next week and i also know a lot of Yoruba moslems and christians that will also attend this traditional festival including those in the diaspora.

To the Yorubas, The Yoruba nationality i:e your identity as a Yoruba, comes first and religion comes later. The only place where you can find a church, a mosque and a shrine all in a single street is at Yorubaland. The Yorubas are tolerant

8 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 5:12pm On Aug 11, 2014
modhream:
I read everything.
U started out with a mindset,threw in what is purely politics as if having religious undertone into the mix,then tried to back it up with an unconfirmed tale from an unreliable/unknown source.
Did I leave anything out?.
I'm currently in the East,my family consist of Catholics,Anglicans n Pentecostals.
Whatever feud there be exist only in ur fevered imagination.
And u didn't even know Obi,Ngige,Obiano,Soludo et al are Catholics?.Smh
The only Anglican in their midst is Andy Uba n one has never heard him complain of being discriminated against cos of his denomination

Great. I have always thought those politicians are not all Catholics. Several news at the time of the elections in Anambra suggested so.

And as for being biased, you do not have any idea of who I am, so I am leaving you to wallow in your thinking.

Also, are you unaware of the Mbaise Catholics and the Anambra Bishop saga?

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 5:13pm On Aug 11, 2014
Screenshot of Igboville. If you are not a member you can register (Igbos only) so you can have access.

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 5:14pm On Aug 11, 2014
lakhadimar: You do not know anything about the Yoruba religious pluralism.

The redeemed christian chirch just concluded their convention and i know a lot of Yoruba moslems that attended. The Osun Osogbo festival will commence next week and i also know a lot of Yoruba moslems and christians that will also attend this traditional festival including those in the diaspora.

To the Yorubas, The Yoruba nationality i:e your identity as a Yoruba, comes first and religion comes later

I was born and raised (schooled) in Ibadan, the core of Yorubaland. So you have absolutely nothing to tell me about Yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by modhream: 5:18pm On Aug 11, 2014
ChrisOD:

Great. I have always thought those politicians are not all Catholics. Several news at the time of the elections in Anambra suggested so.

And as for being biased, you do not have an idea of whom I am, so I am leaving you to wallow in your thinking.
Yes,I don't know who u are.Not calling ur person or character into question.What I do question is ur claim of being unbiased.Your thread title,OP n subsequent comment put a lie to that.
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 11, 2014
ChrisOD:

I was born and raised (schooled) in Ibadan, the core of Yorubaland. So you have absolutely nothing to tell me about Yorubas.
... And i am sure you are aware that the Ibadan-Lagos road within the Ogun state axis has the presence of the Redeemed christian church, MFM, Deeper life, Foursquare and NASFAT which is a moslem organisation.

Is it possible for a mosque and a church to be on the same street/road anywhere in iboland or hausaland? The only place wherein you can find such i:e a mosque and a church on the same street, is in Yorubaland. The Yorubas are tolerant

9 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 5:21pm On Aug 11, 2014
modhream:
Yes,I don't know who u are.Not calling ur person or character into question.What I do question is ur claim of being unbiased.Your thread title,OP n subsequent comment put a lie to that.

The title is a question which is open to answer in any which way anyone likes. Got it?

With the way you are carrying on now, I hope you do not have a ''heart attack'' when you read some of the scathing comments on the original facebook post. Take am easy oh!!!
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by gebest: 5:21pm On Aug 11, 2014
Pls correct the topic b4 i comment.
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 5:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
modhream:

Do you have anything to say about the Mbaise Catholics and the Anambra Bishop saga? Or are you unaware of that one?
Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by MrT2011(m): 5:23pm On Aug 11, 2014
lakhadimar: There are more churches in Yorubaland than they are anywhere else in Nigeria.

The Yorubas arent bigoted and religiously intolerant like you ibos and hausas.

The redemeed christian church just concluded their convention recently, it was the largest christian gathering in Africa and the venue was at the redeemed camp in Ogun state, Yorubaland. The Osun Osogbo festival will commence next week and as expected, its going to be the largest gathering of African Traditional believers; the venue would be at Osogbo, Osun state, Yorubaland.

When it comes to Religious tolerance, you have to give it to the yorubas[/quote]

And when it comes to going to church in the morning...

And Babalawo in the evening...

The Yorubas have it at Best! grin cheesy. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

9 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 11, 2014
MrT2011:

And when it comes to going to church in the morning...

And Babalawo in the evening...

The Yorubas have it at Best! grin cheesy. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Yes that shows you how cosmopolitan and civil the Yorubas are. The yorubas dont discriminate. We respect people of other faith and belief

6 Likes

Re: Catholics v Anglicans In Igboland: setting a bad precedence by ChrisOD: 5:28pm On Aug 11, 2014
lakhadimar: Yes that shows you how cosmopolitan and civil the Yorubas are. The yorubas dont discriminate. We respect people of other faith and belief

You have no clue what you are saying. All that glitters is not gold. You want me to recount how many times I was discriminated against in Ibadan?

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience / Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? / Do Dead People Truly Appear To The Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.