Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,175 members, 7,815,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament (31286 Views)

Welcome To Oshodi Bus Interchange, Lagos / Photos From Oshodi Bus Terminal Newly Opened / The World Class Oshodi Bus Terminal Built By Ambode Is Now Open (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by TajuDEENaMao: 1:25am On Sep 07, 2023
Commercial drivers and passengers using the multi-million naira Oshodi Bus Terminal I in Lagos State have lamented the poor condition of the infrastructure in the facility.

The Oshodi Bus Terminal, located between the Lagos-Apapa Expressway and the Agege Motor Road, started operation in May 2019.

It is divided into three – Terminals 1, 2, and 3 with Terminal 1 for interstate transportation, designed for destinations spanning the South West, South East, Abuja, and Northern states.

Each of the bus terminals has a lot of facilities which include loading bays, ticketing stands, driver lounges, parking areas, restrooms, and many others.

The terminal, which was constructed by a construction firm, Planet Projects Limited, was estimated to cost about $70m.

When PUNCH Metro visited the terminal on Tuesday, it was observed that some of the facilities were in deplorable states with damaged pipes, dirty toilets, and a littered environment.

Passengers and motorists who spoke with our correspondent claimed that the private agency in charge of maintaining the facilities of the terminal neglected some of the basic needs of the terminal.

A driver, Friday Obara, said the surroundings, including the restroom, always stink and the environment was unhealthy for drivers and passengers.

Obara said, “The problems we have here are the infrastructure such as the toilet, broken pipes, filthy environment and littered drainages.

“The toilet is horrible. I can never dare to use it, even passengers complain. There are days that the pipe connecting the toilet gets damaged and everywhere starts smelling.

“The only thing they are interested in is money. They collect money from drivers and they also collect money from traders despite that traders have their designated spots to sell goods.”

Another driver identified as Solomon said passengers and drivers had been avoiding using the restroom to prevent infection.

He said, “The environment and the toilet are dirty. Both men and women are advised to use the restroom because of infection.

“I can never use the toilet despite the fact I am a worker here. Anything that will make me have stomach upset is better avoided because I don’t want to use the toilet here.

The maintenance policy here is bad. They do not maintain the environment but they collect money. The corners of the terminal are filled with urine, faeces, and solid waste.”

A passenger identified as Oluwasegun also lamented the state of infrastructure in the terminal, while seeking government intervention.

He said, “The environment is littered and I do not think the government is doing a great job in maintaining the environment.

“Although the bus terminal is a great idea, they need to maintain this place so it is fit for passengers to use.

“I strongly advise the government to establish a cleaning agency to maintain the environment and also an agency that will help monitor the environment.”

When contacted, the Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Ministry of Transportation, Abdulhafiz Toriola, said, “We have a private facility manager, and we always monitor and inform them of our observation. It is a continuous effort and we will do that again. The poor infrastructure will be fixed, we will contact the private facility manager for that.”
https://punchng.com/oshodi-bus-terminal-decaying-motorists-passengers-lament/?amp

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by AllenSpencer: 1:30am On Sep 07, 2023
No news!

Saw it coming before completion!

Sanwolu just built shelter for Agbero.

When state backed touts and thugs are running affairs of such infrastructure, what else is expected?

It probably will still be burnt when next those thugs clash.

130 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Reflect7: 1:39am On Sep 07, 2023
This should be publicised to pressure the state govt to get a proper contractor to maintain that facility.

THIS IS NOT HARD.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Solsix(m): 1:49am On Sep 07, 2023
No be Nigeria again?? Again maintenance culture rear it's ugly head.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Racoon(m): 2:12am On Sep 07, 2023
“The only thing they are interested in is money. They collect money from drivers and they also collect money from traders
The Oshodi interchange of course is a worthy world class intra and inter-state transport hub facility, but as characteristic of anything managed by the protegees of the king of Lagos touts, thugs, agberos, brigands, and owomida miscreants, this is not unusual.

See their primary motive as reported, money, money, and more money to Burdillion. Like the Lekki tollplaza like Oshodi Interchange.

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by tsdarkside(m): 2:24am On Sep 07, 2023
sad....
nigerians just dont understand maintenance....

soo busy gettin rich quick that they dont care about their environments....
when it gets too bad again,they will blame fg....

12 Likes

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by tsdarkside(m): 2:30am On Sep 07, 2023
Reflect7:
This should be publicised to pressure the state govt to get a proper contractor to maintain that facility.

THIS IS NOT HARD.

and the contractors work for free abi....??
how much tax do you even pay sef that you await fg to pamper you too....??

6 Likes

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by meum: 2:56am On Sep 07, 2023
The decay no be here. Even when it wasn’t completed to standard at commissioning, the decay is getting worse. They defecate & urinate on the streets around the area, some areas are not utilized hence these areas have become mechanic workshops. A lot of things I can’t even type. Nigeria and poor maintenance culture. Chai

If I may add it’s under utilized too. Amala, ewedu, melon, ofada rice with sauce etc are sold on the same stinking streets around the terminal. Ticketing booths have turn to something else in some sections of the terminal.

22 Likes

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by DrAkpamudehe: 3:18am On Sep 07, 2023
The black race especially Nigerians, are cursed beyond redemption

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by onumadu: 3:22am On Sep 07, 2023
lol
Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Reflect7: 3:55am On Sep 07, 2023
tsdarkside:
sad....

Let's not pretend or be delusional on this GADEMN FORUM.

This terminal was built in the centre of OSHODI.

Has any of you here been to OSHODI?

Especially before they built that terminal?

Look, I GREW UP PASSING THROUGH OSHODI DAILY ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL.

Oshodi was a hellhole of fast commerce, market women selling everywhere.

Oshodi is the first place I've seen where market women would place their stalls in the middle of the road, with cars passing. When the Molue reaches the point they are, the driver would jump out screaming at the women to remove their stalls from the road.

You would think the women would be remorseful and be saying sorry for blocking the road. For where? They will be abusing the driver back as he's driving off. Raining curses on him! That's Oshodi for you!

Plus chronic overcrowding, rushing for Molue, desperation, illiteracy, semi-literacy, touts, thugs, Alayes, pickpockets, drug dealers, poverty, and open defecation.

Oshodi was where ARMED ROBBERS used to go and hide after committing atrocities in more civilized parts of Lagos.

A sprinkling of BROTHELS in the area gladly served as hideouts.

I personally frequented some of those brothels in my secondary school days in the 80s.

I often used my pocket money to go and nyash ashewo.

Short time, 10 Naira.

Oshodi was the quintessential Lagos hellhole.

All those people were not moved out of OSHODI after they commissioned the terminal.

They are still there.

So how the hell do you expect the terminal to look? wink

The minute I heard they were building that terminal at OSHODI, I knew it would get to this.

I'm even surprised they haven't smashed in all those ajebota glass walls and trimmings in the terminal.

The place even still looks clean somehow, considering the fact that it is in Oshodi. grin

Truth is it will be a hell of a task keeping that terminal looking like somewhere in Paris or Brussels or London, with the kind of characters that populate OSHODI.

If that facility was located somewhere in Ikeja or Surulere or Island or Lekki, the place will be looking very clean and sharp even with minimal maintenance.

Simply because of the calibre of people in those areas.

The long-term solution for this sort of thing is just to improve the living standards of the masses, plus education.

94 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Atarakpa: 4:53am On Sep 07, 2023
Even if you're driving and decide to roll down your glass mehn, the kind of odour that you will perceive will be like govt palliative. And this what Lagos state govt spent $70 million. Though I was not surprise. When govt spent such money and decide to give it to tout to manage what do you expect.

7 Likes

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by bigdammyj: 4:53am On Sep 07, 2023
Noted.
Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by linkers: 4:54am On Sep 07, 2023
Na Buhari Lagos be that o
Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by iCauseTrouble: 4:55am On Sep 07, 2023
On your mandate we shall stand grin

1 Like

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Owaincouncil: 4:55am On Sep 07, 2023
What do you expect. I give this new train terminal four years, it will be worse than osodi.
Since the govt embrace, encourage and support the tout, nothing will last in lagos.
Lagos democracy. Govt of the touts by the touts for the touts

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by emmabest2000(m): 4:56am On Sep 07, 2023
Na lie
It can't happen in Lagos

Maybe there is another oshodi in the east cheesy

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by MVLOX(m): 4:57am On Sep 07, 2023
No be wetin dem commission some months ago be dis so..... Na wa ooo
Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Dshocker(m): 4:59am On Sep 07, 2023
From time immemorial, Nigerian government, both state and federal lacks the ability to manage assets, maintenance has always been the problem.

Best they put it in the hands of private managers
Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by lexy2014: 4:59am On Sep 07, 2023
AllenSpencer:
No news!

When state backed touts and thugs are running affairs of such infrastructure, what else is expected?

is it Sanwo olu that built it?

3 Likes

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Homiesjinxbank: 5:01am On Sep 07, 2023
Ambode built that place..

AllenSpencer:
No news!

1 Like

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by lexy2014: 5:01am On Sep 07, 2023
tsdarkside:
sad....

what is your nationality?

who are the "they"?
Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by lexy2014: 5:04am On Sep 07, 2023
TajuDEENaMao:

https://punchng.com/oshodi-bus-terminal-decaying-motorists-passengers-lament/?amp

wowcatty, how is this possible? is this happening in Lagos that Tinubu "built"?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Danisaint112(m): 5:06am On Sep 07, 2023
They should blame the igbos for this. It's not about building infrastructure, the problem is maintening them.
Majority of the infrastructure built in Lagos aren't maintained properly.

The newly rushed up train will follow suit soon.

3 Likes

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Chibuzoc(m): 5:11am On Sep 07, 2023
grin
Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by remsonik(f): 5:12am On Sep 07, 2023
Lagos is a slum

1 Like

Re: Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament by Tulsaguy: 5:14am On Sep 07, 2023
K

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Niger Air Space Closure Fall Out: British Airways Forced On 10-Hour ‘Flight / Tourism: Forget Dubai,london; Visit Yankari — Bauchi Gov / Accident Victim, Okoli Ezinne Cries Tears Of Gratitude, Mercy Said No

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.