Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,409 members, 7,826,582 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured (31202 Views)

Powerful 6.8 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Morocco damages buildings / BREAKING! Massive Earthquake Rocks California / Tokyo Rocked By 6.1-magnitude Earthquake As Tremors Cause Buildings To Sway(Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:56am On Sep 09, 2023
no single natural disaster in Nigeria but we have both natural & artificial political disastrous disasters!
angry
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by XtraFortunes: 9:56am On Sep 09, 2023
Wow I use to think earthquakes don't happen in Africaangry

RIP to the dead

1 Like

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Ssor: 9:57am On Sep 09, 2023
undecided
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by aklid(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2023
It is said the death toll reaches 600 now
The issues with these things are, the quakes are more worst and cause more deaths when they happen in countries that rarely experience quakes like the way it was witnessed in Turkiye.. cause like for example Nigeria now..(may God forbid) if it were to happen you’ll be shocked the casualties that’s going to happen.. cause we are not prone to Quakes and so most of the buildings are not Quake proofs like are in Japan and other Quake prones Countries…

May the Departed Souls Rest in Peace

2 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Chetas81(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2023
South Africa last month, Morocco this month, meanwhile Nigerian citizen still battling with human error, under the leadership challenges

2 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by hopexter(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2023
Magnitude 6.8 shocked shocked the epicentre would look like a war zone. cry

2 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by aklid(m): 10:00am On Sep 09, 2023
Chetas81:
South Africa last month, Morocco this month, meanwhile Nigerian citizen still battling with human error, under the leadership challenges
South Africa Had earthquake last month?

1 Like

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Osanoghodua1: 10:05am On Sep 09, 2023
I don't know if proliferation of boilholes in Nigeria destroys the earth and may lead to a possible major earthquakes in the future! If this is true, then the rich and the poor and the Governors and the masses will suffer the same fate as one can't tell when and where it will happen. May God grant their souls external rest and comfort their families.

3 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Sergio101(m): 10:11am On Sep 09, 2023
ifytrik:
cry cry cry can someone tell me the comon causes of earthquakes

Earthquake is a violent tremors caused by ease of piled stress in the crust which sends shockwaves on different direction.

It's actually this shockwaves that causes destruction

Imagine a situation where two moulded blocked placed opposite each other are being pushed together towards each other but in opposite direction (i.e block A is moving East while block B is moving west but are in towards each other meaning that a central point of the whole force will be created), it will get to a point that this blocks will start fracturing and be breaking to pieces.

Reason is that Block A &B are minute when compared to With force being put

Now have a broader view of it......(which is the Earth's Continental block)

In this case.......the Continental block is a big mass of rock (lithosphere), therefore when there's convergence of two Continental blocks or plates, the stress/force at this point of contact can't cause the whole mass of Continental rock to break or fracture, Rather this stress can be heaved or eased or released in other forms...... Basically the SHOCKWAVES. So if there's slight movement of a plate boundary against another opposite plate boundary, the stress released is what causes this destructions and we say that earthquake has happened...

This waves can practically be visualized when you throw a stone to a still water. The wave created by the stone in the water will be very high and noticeable at near point it was thrown (where the stone made contact with the water) but slowly dies off as it progresses. This is same case with Earthquake's shockwaves. It causes more destruction at the epicenter (the point at ground surface directly above the Origin in the sub surface).

Now what is the Possible reason it happened Morocco??

I saw in first where someone Said Nigeria may be hit by earthquake maybe in 2040. Scientifically..... it's not possible. Nigeria is far from it. Nigeria is in a stable Continental plate (stable African plate which has contact far in Atlantic Ocean with South America plate).

So earthquake possibly happened in morrocco because......

Morocco is on convergent boundaries of African, Eurasian (and other plate I can't remember). Little wonder the famous Atlas chains of mountains was formed in it Just like Himalayas of Asia.
So morrocco is on unstable plate...... hence, it is possible for earthquake to occur there.

Another place of possibility is in East Africa (because of rift system).

I'd hope it's clearer to you.

Have a blessed day!!😊🥰🥰

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by toffyz(m): 10:14am On Sep 09, 2023
A football match ( Burkina Faso vs Eswatini) was played in this same city ( Marakash) yesterday night around (7:45-9-30)...I hope the players were saved sha

1 Like

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by akee01(m): 10:14am On Sep 09, 2023
onlyboyson:
God abeg no purnish Nigeria with earth quake but rather continue using TINUBU to suffer and purnish us for our sins 🙏🙏

Must we be punished? 🙄

1 Like

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by RPG2020(m): 10:18am On Sep 09, 2023
Ahmed0336:
What!!!
Earthquake in Africa? shocked

My prayers are with Morocco in this trying times

Morocco is not Africa they are Arab people

2 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Blazadenise(m): 10:18am On Sep 09, 2023
GODPUNISHALABI:
Omo earthquake don dey come Africa

Morocco have a long history when it comes to earthquakes
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Tallesty1(m): 10:29am On Sep 09, 2023
remoc29:
Oh boy that's large, our own problem na leaders n not natural disasters
They are worse than some natural disasters.

2 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by MightySparrow: 10:30am On Sep 09, 2023
remoc29:
Oh boy that's large, our own problem na leaders n not natural disasters

Leadership is our own natural disaster gangan.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Fulmigati: 10:31am On Sep 09, 2023
The Most High is shaking the Earth. He has descended from His Heavenly Throne.

2 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by dinkyicon: 10:31am On Sep 09, 2023
ifytrik:
cry cry cry can someone tell me the comon causes of earthquakes
faults 9r cracks from the tectonic plates

1 Like

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by sslcrypt: 10:32am On Sep 09, 2023
Please heavenly father in heaven heal them and console the broken.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by onlyboyson(m): 10:36am On Sep 09, 2023
akee01:

Must we be punished? 🙄

🙄🙄
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Reference(m): 10:42am On Sep 09, 2023
My condolences to His Royal Majesty King Mohammed V and the great people of Morocco on this tragedy.
May the world rally round to lend help to such a lovely country and peaceful people at this time of their trials.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Zooposki(f): 10:44am On Sep 09, 2023
Osanoghodua1:
I don't know if proliferation of boilholes in Nigeria destroys the earth and may lead to a possible major earthquakes in the future! If this is true, then the rich and the poor and the Governors and the masses will suffer the same fate as one can't tell when and where it will happen. May God grant their souls external rest and comfort their families.

More like the removal of oil causing the erosion and landslide when the earth tries to resettle. Maybe that’s why there is so much erosion in South South and South East.

5 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Nyne: 10:50am On Sep 09, 2023
Kingosytex:
An earthquake of 6.8 magnitude in Africa? From a few tremors here and there to an earthquake of this magnitude. Times are fast changing. Almost 300 souls gone just like that? 😭😭😭
This life is a mystery. We're here today, and gone tomorrow.
My thoughts and prayers are with their respective families!

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Sergio101(m): 10:52am On Sep 09, 2023
Zooposki:

More like the removal of oil but I think that particular issue causes erosion and landslide when the earth tries to resettle. Maybe that’s why there is so much erosion in South South and South East.

The cause of soil erosion in SE/SS is because of the soil type they have.

South West and northern Nigeria soils were formed in pre Cretaceous stage.

But South East's soil were formed Post Cretaceous.

So the sandy-loamy-clay soil formations in it can easily be washed away.

Enugu State is little exception

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Chetas81(m): 10:52am On Sep 09, 2023
aklid:
South Africa Had earthquake last month?
of course last three weeks
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Zooposki(f): 11:01am On Sep 09, 2023
Sergio101:

The cause of soil erosion in SE/SS is because of the soil type they have.

South West and northern Nigeria soils were formed in pre Cretaceous stage.

But South East's soil were formed Post Cretaceous.

So the sandy-loamy-clay soil formations in it can easily be washed away.

Enugu State is little exception

In the same location (Nigeria)? Pre and Post Cretaceous? I will look more into this.
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Newsstories1: 11:10am On Sep 09, 2023
"Things are not Going well For Us" Happie Boys Say-Beg Apostle Chibuzor and Nigerians For Forgiveness

Watch video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDcoW1Rrgmg
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Illegal1(m): 11:22am On Sep 09, 2023
[quote author=onlyboyson post=125678953]God abeg no purnish Nigeria with earth quake but rather continue using TINUBU to suffer and purnish us for our sins
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by Sergio101(m): 11:26am On Sep 09, 2023
Zooposki:

In the same location (Nigeria)? Pre and Post Cretaceous? I will look more into this.

Nice sir
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by MrOlai: 11:28am On Sep 09, 2023
Sergio101:

Earthquake is a violent tremors caused by ease of piled stress in the crust which sends shockwaves on different direction.

It's actually this shockwaves that causes destruction

Imagine a situation where two moulded blocked placed opposite each other are being pushed together towards each other but in opposite direction (i.e block A is moving East while block B is moving west but are in towards each other meaning that a central point of the whole force will be created), it will get to a point that this blocks will start fracturing and be breaking to pieces.

Reason is that Block A &B are minute when compared to With force being put

Now have a broader view of it......(which is the Earth's Continental block)

In this case.......the Continental block is a big mass of rock (lithosphere), therefore when there's convergence of two Continental blocks or plates, the stress/force at this point of contact can't cause the whole mass of Continental rock to break or fracture, Rather this stress can be heaved or eased or released in other forms...... Basically the SHOCKWAVES. So if there's slight movement of a plate boundary against another opposite plate boundary, the stress released is what causes this destructions and we say that earthquake has happened...

This waves can practically be visualized when you throw a stone to a still water. The wave created by the stone in the water will be very high and noticeable at near point it was thrown (where the stone made contact with the water) but slowly dies off as it progresses. This is same case with Earthquake's shockwaves. It causes more destruction at the epicenter (the point at ground surface directly above the Origin in the sub surface).

Now what is the Possible reason it happened Morocco??

I saw in first where someone Said Nigeria may be hit by earthquake maybe in 2040. Scientifically..... it's not possible. Nigeria is far from it. Nigeria is in a stable Continental plate (stable African plate which has contact far in Atlantic Ocean with South America plate).

So earthquake possibly happened in morrocco because......

Morocco is on convergent boundaries of African, Eurasian (and other plate I can't remember). Little wonder the famous Atlas chains of mountains was formed in it Just like Himalayas of Asia.
So morrocco is on unstable plate...... hence, it is possible for earthquake to occur there.

Another place of possibility is in East Africa (because of rift system).

I'd hope it's clearer to you.

Have a blessed day!!😊🥰🥰

You must have studied Geology or Geophysics in university. Kudos!

2 Likes

Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by tachia406: 11:33am On Sep 09, 2023
May their souls rest in peace
Re: Morocco: Massive Earthquake Damages Historical Buildings. 296 Dead, 153 Injured by baralatie(m): 11:34am On Sep 09, 2023
In morrocco they experienced earthquake 😲😲😲

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Russia Refuses To Launch Oneweb Internet Satellites Over Sanctions / Russian Plane Crashes On Its Way To Syria. 9 Journalists, 83 Others Aboard / Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.