Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,430 members, 7,812,275 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden (31141 Views)

US Has Destroyed All Of Its Chemical Weapons - Biden / Britain Will Go To War With Russia If Putin Attacks NATO - Sajid Javid / Supreme Court Orders Pennsylvania Democrats To Respond In Ballot Dispute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by fergie001: 9:06pm On Mar 24, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBY5mlkkLrg

Joe Biden said the US and its allies were prepared to respond “in kind” if Russia uses chemical weapons during its invasion of Ukraine as he urged the west to sustain pressure on Vladimir Putin and remain unified in its response to the war.

“It would trigger a response in kind,” the US president said at a press conference when asked whether the use of chemical weapons would prompt a military response from NATO, adding that the alliance would decide how to react “at the time”.

Biden was speaking after he met leaders of NATO members to debate the appropriate response to the possible use of weapons of mass destruction by Russia, as well as military aid for Ukraine and tighter sanctions on Moscow.

The NATO summit, called by the US president at short notice, was Biden’s first stop on a multi-day trip to Europe intended to fortify opposition to Putin’s war on Ukraine as the increasingly brutal invasion is set to enter its fifth week.

“The single most important thing is for us to stay united,” Biden said after the summit, warning Putin would be emboldened if he believed the west would “crack in a month, six weeks, or two months”. He added: “They can take anything for another month.”

He added the “maintenance of sanctions” and “increasing the pain” on Russia would demonstrate to Moscow that the west is determined to “sustain what we’re doing”.

The US president also said he would support Russia’s expulsion from the G20 but said “that depends on” the other members of the intergovernmental forum. “If Indonesia and others do not agree, then we should in my view ask for Ukraine be able to attend the meetings.”

The Brussels summit comes as Biden is trying to drum up support for a united US-Europe front against China should Beijing decide to provide assistance for Russia’s invasion.

Biden said he had used a telephone call last week with Xi Jinping, his Chinese counterpart, to warn there would be “consequences” if Beijing were to help Russia. US officials believe that Moscow has asked Beijing for military equipment to support its invasion of Ukraine.

“I had a very straightforward conversation with president Xi . . . I made it clear to him, I made no threats, but I made it clear to him that he understood the consequences of him helping Russia,” he said.

“I pointed out the number of American and foreign corporations that left Russia as a consequence of their barbaric behaviour . . . China understands that its economic future is much more tied to the west than it is to Russia.”

Although Russia’s military has suffered setbacks and failed to gain control of major Ukrainian cities including Kyiv, the capital, it has launched a series of increasingly brutal attacks on civilians and targeted key infrastructure.

Biden’s trip to Brussels is his third to Europe since taking office at the White House last year. He is scheduled on Friday to travel to Poland, where the US has deployed thousands of additional troops in recent months to support the eastern flank of the Nato alliance that is most exposed to the Russian threat.

SOURCE

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Fahdiga(m): 9:07pm On Mar 24, 2022
Russia is hell bent on causing WW3

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by DoctorOlasDesk: 9:09pm On Mar 24, 2022
Anti-NATO miscreants like Iran, China, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Turkmenistan watching their leader in shame. So, this is the giant they were counting upon to lead an Anti-West.

I'm beginning to think this war was fated to expose the weakness and unclothedness of Russia to the entire world and its self, to inspire and usher new humility that will lead for peace that would go on to span for decades.

Thanks to Ukraine for the sacrifices made to ensure this new reality is achieved.

Russia the puss. Putin is a walking corpse. The only way this way ends since it's now a stalement with no progress and no humility to return home. End Putin, use any of the ambitious colonels to achieve this feat and the needless killings ends.

This war will put these Anti-NATO miscreants in check for atleast 50 years

Another thing i love about this war, the sanctions and all I find surprising is the audacity of the American stance

1. USA Started and maintained the pressure even before allies like Germany came onboard

2. Germany has been fighting American leadership long before almost asusming itself as a peer-mate. This war has humbled even Germany to follow like a faithful and loyal servant should

3 The ability to tame the bear and the dragon together, Russia and China without breaking a sweat

4. Putting China in it's place. USA has been telling China it would face consequences if it lends a hand. China has been mute like a wet chicken

5. Saudi Arabia is secretly thrilled and watching from the sidelines. No wonder she ordered for American patriot missiles just last week in its fight against the yemeni houthis

6. Turkey is humbled

7. India can't make " fem "

God bless USA. God bless the west. God bless Christianity

332 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by fergie001: 9:10pm On Mar 24, 2022
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Thursday said consequences would be "very, very severe" if Vladimir Putin deploys chemical weapons.

"I think it would be catastrophic for him if he were to do that. And I think that he understands that," Johnson said.

He added that he thinks Biden was right in saying Putin's comments are a "clear sign" Russia is weighing the use of chemical weapons.

"I think [President] Joe Biden is right to warn ... because you know, when the Russians start doing this stuff about, 'oh, well … the factories in Ukraine producing American biological weaponry,' you know that is a prelude to a false flag operation and they could well do something, but I think it will make a profound and a disastrous mistake for Putin."

SOURCE

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Gentlerespect76: 9:10pm On Mar 24, 2022
fergie001:

SOURCE

You see this Joe ehn, you dey fall hands. Where did Russia say it was planning to Nuke Ukraine? Why do old men like to behave like children? What we need now is deescalation of tension, not threats.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Elvictor: 9:16pm On Mar 24, 2022
Lol.. Joe Biden dey talk tough nowadays grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Drenimarcus(m): 9:17pm On Mar 24, 2022
Same Mo the US used in Syria. Why would Russia use chemical weapons when there are still kalibr and cruise missiles in abundance? Hypersonic still plenty in the arsenal.

Today marks the 23 years since NATO bombed Yugoslavia to the oblivion, no news about that.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Northernblood5(m): 9:19pm On Mar 24, 2022
Gentlerespect76:

You see this Joe ehn, you dey fall hands. Where did Russia say it was planning to Nuke Ukraine? Why do old men like to behave like children? What we need now is deescalation of tension, not threats.

To know them is not hard. To know those same people that an old man with Nepa certificate promised to liberate from poverty and corruption is not hard. The stupidity is always written all over they do or say.

Is it not the same Russia that Mocked USA intelligence when they reported that Russia will invade Ukraine back then, only to later Invade on a different day ?
Is it not same Russia that asked Ukraine not to join Nato B4 peace will return that is still bombarding Ukraine despite Ukraine pulling off it's interest in NATO ?

131 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by harqinhola(m): 9:25pm On Mar 24, 2022
ALL THIS WON'T MATTER IN HEAVEN..... I See a brutal World War 3

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Okortor: 9:29pm On Mar 24, 2022
Nato and west na mouth una get,

Be like Yoruba agbero with making mouth.

Anyways, Like for Buhari, share for Putin.

9 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Downtrod: 9:29pm On Mar 24, 2022
Ghen ghen
Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by AJSfan: 9:29pm On Mar 24, 2022
Lol Joe the comedian. When did Russia ever threaten to use chemical weapons? Na mouth una dey. Una no warn Libya when una troups enter oo

27 Likes

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Anaerobi(m): 9:29pm On Mar 24, 2022
NATO are secretly fighting this war

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Theunbothered: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2022
Werey pass werey
Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by NwaNimo1(m): 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2022
Correction: We will attack Russia if Ukraine stage a false flag chemical attack on themselves.....

66 Likes

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by iCauseTrouble: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2022
US, Biden and NATO are just toothless dogs grin

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by RichDad1(m): 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2022
No time.
If Putin think he’s crazy and can bully Ukraine at will, there are more powerful men out there that will make him kowtow and beg for mercy.
Chemical weapons full ground like sand.
You act mad, you see proper madness.

No brainwashed Putin fanboys should quote me to spill thrash. angry angry

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by ikorodureporta: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2022
grin

People for Europe & US go dey do vigil make war no make dem return to africa..
I wonder how this one no go escalate to worldwar

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Jackpat(m): 9:31pm On Mar 24, 2022
Wahala
Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Giffted(m): 9:31pm On Mar 24, 2022
it's about to go down
Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by ImoleNaija: 9:31pm On Mar 24, 2022
iCauseTrouble:
US, Biden and NATO are just toothless dogs grin

If everyone believes your opponent wouldn't take more than a blow from you before falling & it turns out that, after taking several blows, he's still standing, then you lose some respect even if you finally win.

Take it or leave it, Putin is the toothless dog here.

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Toks2008(m): 9:32pm On Mar 24, 2022
Fahdiga:
Russia is hell bent on causing WW3

It has started already... Just a matter of time before it escalates.

5 Likes

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by SultanOfPuna: 9:32pm On Mar 24, 2022
Ok
Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by NeoWanZaeed(m): 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2022
I miss Trump

2 Likes

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Laggafin: 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2022
Joe Biden to my surprise is doing a good job much more dan Trump would have done.. the Nato front is more United than ever before and he has shown great leadership.. Russia just succeded in bringing the bonds of all NATO allies to an all time high and degrading itself

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Transcriber: 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2022
I don't care. Make Una kill yourself off the earth. Bloody hypocrites

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by NeoWanZaeed(m): 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2022
USA is reduced to media power

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by Theunbothered: 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2022
Gentlerespect76:

The only party that can deescalate is Russia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by OneKinGuy(m): 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2022
Clickbait

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ukraine war: NATO will respond in kind if Putin uses chemical weapons - Biden by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2022
Gentlerespect76:

People want NATO to respond but they're showing the highest level of restraint. I think that’s the best course of action, hold out until there’s ‘probable cause’

29 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Duduzane, Jacob Zuma's Son Differs From Father By Launching Pro-Gay Party (PICS) / Gunman Opens Fire At Perm State University, Russia. 8 Dead (Graphic) / Angela Merkel Wins German Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.