Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,101 members, 7,814,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline (27589 Views)

Tinubu's CSU Records: David Hundeyin Shares Written Copy Of Deposition / US Court Assumes Jurisdiction On Atiku’s Case Seeking Tinubu’s CSU Records - SR / Yahaya Bello: I Will Defeat Atiku Before 2pm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by dre11(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2023
U.S. court fast-tracks release of Tinubu’s Chicago records to Atiku before Supreme Court filing deadline

Judge Jeffrey Gilbert strongly advised lawyers on both sides of the matter to appear in court for a hearing on Tuesday ahead of an imminent ruling during the week.

A federal court in the United States is racing to complete Atiku Abubakar’s request to subpoena Chicago State University (CSU) for President Bola Tinubu’s academic records after learning that Mr Abubakar has only 14 days to appeal the judgement of the election petitions tribunal at the Supreme Court of Nigeria using the requested records.

Specifically, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago has moved up the date for in-person arguments of the lawyers of Messrs Abubakar, Tinubu and CSU from September 15 to September 12, citing “exigent circumstances” of the request, per court documents seen by Peoples Gazette.

“Upon further reflection, in light of the exigent circumstances presented by the Application [1] and to account for the possibility of any appeal of the Court’s ruling,” Judge Jeffrey Gilbert said, “this matter is set for hearing in-person on 9/12/23 at 1:30 p.m. in Courtroom 1386.”

Mr Gilbert strongly advised lawyers on both sides of the matter to appear in court for the proceeding, with the docket indicating an imminent ruling on the matter during the week.

“If out-of-town counsel want to appear by telephone, they should contact the Court’s courtroom deputy. The Court’s preference, however, is for counsel who will be speaking at the hearing to appear in person.”

To pre-empt any further delay, the Court asked CSU to file any objections (if any) it might have against the scope of the requested records not later than 5:00 p.m. on September 11. The school had been previously given a longer period to file objections to the subpoenas’ broadness.

Hours after a panel of five appellate justices struck out petitions against the incumbent president on Wednesday, an aggrieved Mr Abubakar asked the U.S. Court to expedite the issuance of the CSU subpoena as he intended to use the records sought to file an appeal with Nigeria’s Supreme Court within 21 days. But the plaintiff’s U.S. lawyers, led by Angela Liu, appeared not to have been aware of a recent update to the Supreme Court filing deadline for election-related appeals. The court has only 60 days to hear and deliver a verdict on the matter in line with the amended electoral regulations.

Chris Uche, chief counsel for Mr Abubakar and the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party, clarified that an appeal of the tribunal’s verdict must be filed within 14 days, not the 21 days that the U.S. attorneys had previously asserted.

Mr Tinubu’s lawyers have argued the records are no longer critical because the deadline for submitting evidence has lapsed. But Mr Abubakar’s lawyers cited a Supreme Court rule that allows the introduction of crucial evidence under special circumstances, which they believe the release would force.

Despite being a major fixture in Nigerian politics since he was first elected senator in the 1990s, Mr Tinubu’s background has remained shrouded in secrecy. His real name, parents, childhood neighbourhood, primary and secondary education, among other pieces, are still undiscovered.

He said he was at first a top accountant at Deloitte and later an executive at Mobil in the 1980s, where he purportedly made his money, but his involvement in Chicago’s dreadful narcotics business that led to the confiscation of his funds in the 1990s has further complicated his supporters’ ability to successfully cast him as a scrupulous, avuncular politician with a longstanding dedication towards a democratic order in Nigeria.

https://gazettengr.com/just-in-u-s-court-fast-tracks-release-of-tinubus-chicago-records-to-atiku-before-supreme-court-filing-deadline/

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:26pm On Sep 10, 2023
Next news!

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by successmatters(m): 2:26pm On Sep 10, 2023
Why is Atiku tormenting the druggie, does reno have a hand in this oppression of a sitting president?

This is so unfair

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by FIRDAUS3(m): 2:38pm On Sep 10, 2023
Hours after a panel of five appellate justices struck out petitions against the incumbent president on Wednesday, an aggrieved Mr Abubakar asked the U.S. Court to expedite the issuance of the CSU subpoena as he intended to use the records sought to file an appeal with Nigeria’s Supreme Court within 21 days. But the plaintiff’s U.S. lawyers, led by Angela Liu, appeared not to have been aware of a recent update to the Supreme Court filing deadline for election-related appeals. The court has only 60 days to hear and deliver a verdict on the matter in line with the amended electoral regulations.

oya So pé ọtílọ grin

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by duro4chang(m): 2:42pm On Sep 10, 2023
There is nothing against Tinubu beside you cant tender anything against him apart from the one you have submitted even at the SC.

128 Likes 7 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by ElSudani: 2:42pm On Sep 10, 2023
I doubt the privacy Act will allow your personal data to be released to a third party.

Another lule is warming up for these sore losers.

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by OkCornel(m): 2:42pm On Sep 10, 2023
Hmmm
Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by BoldBrainz(m): 2:44pm On Sep 10, 2023
😂.
Another one for the die-hard Obidients and the Emilokan congregation.
Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by helinues: 2:48pm On Sep 10, 2023
Futile efforts.

The opposition would learn in a very bitter way

122 Likes 10 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by Throwback: 2:52pm On Sep 10, 2023
successmatters:
Why is Atiku tormenting the druggie, does reno have a hand in this oppression of a sitting president?

Atiku is tormenting himself, while giving fellow losers like yourself hope so that you do not despair as Peter Obi encouraged his zombies.

120 Likes 11 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by Morbeta11(m): 2:54pm On Sep 10, 2023
aQUINandmore:
I feel like posting my nudes on nairaland so I can go viral.

Ok
Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by successmatters(m): 2:58pm On Sep 10, 2023
Throwback:

Atiku is tormenting himself, while giving fellow losers like yourself hope so that you do not despair as Peter Obi encouraged his zombies.

Face Atiku, collect his slaps and stay quiet.

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by tinsel: 3:06pm On Sep 10, 2023
FIRDAUS3:

oya So pé ọtílọ grin
Is he even allowed to tender new evidence at the Supreme Court ?

121 Likes 5 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by seunmsg(m): 3:22pm On Sep 10, 2023
Atiku chasing shadows as usual. He lost on Election Day. He lost at the presidential election petition court. He will lose at the US and the Supreme Court as well. Eventually, he will be retired to Adamawa to tender to goats and cattle.

115 Likes 4 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by Godfullsam(m): 3:27pm On Sep 10, 2023
aQUINandmore:

.... and what value will your viral nude pictures add to your life?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by aQUINandmore: 3:28pm On Sep 10, 2023
Godfullsam:

.... and what value will your viral nude pictures add to your life?

I need attention, I want people to talk about me, I want to be a celebrity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by Godfullsam(m): 3:30pm On Sep 10, 2023
aQUINandmore:
I need attention, I want people to talk about me, I want to be a celebrity.

You don't have to make your nude pictures go viral to achieve all these...

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by DaTruths: 4:18pm On Sep 10, 2023
grin
Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by abbey621(m): 4:19pm On Sep 10, 2023
Atiku customer dada ni......Lawyers must chop grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by thatigboman: 4:20pm On Sep 10, 2023

Despite being a major fixture in Nigerian politics since he was first elected senator in the 1990s, Mr Tinubu’s background has remained shrouded in secrecy. His real name, parents, childhood neighbourhood, primary and secondary education, among other pieces, are still undiscovered.

Na waa

112 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by iamtardey: 4:20pm On Sep 10, 2023
aQUINandmore:
free world free will do your thing 🫡

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by IkeGod9891(m): 4:20pm On Sep 10, 2023
aQUINandmore:
hahahaha
Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by Woodshot: 4:21pm On Sep 10, 2023
grin grin

Even if it's Usain Bolt level of fast track or snail performance slow track everything would end up favouring Tinubu

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by kilonshele101(m): 4:21pm On Sep 10, 2023
Terrorists are so happy right now, forgetting that this won’t help their lord commander in any way grin

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by Tecnophone: 4:22pm On Sep 10, 2023
He doesn't went to any school, an old baron, narcotic.

4 Likes

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by juman(m): 4:22pm On Sep 10, 2023
I laugh oooooooooooo.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Atiku is merely wasting his time and money.
He didnt get 2/3 twenty five percent of states required by the constitution.

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Court Fast-tracks Release Of Tinubu’s CSU Records To Atiku Before Deadline by Zxcvbnmghtr: 4:22pm On Sep 10, 2023
successmatters:

Case dismissed. grin tongue Penguin2 has not been so frequent on NL. cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Result Sheets From Rivers Rerun, PDP Leads / Governor Makinde Commissions 100 Security Vehicles To Improve Security In Oyo / Ganduje Laments Killing Of 16 Kano Indigenes On Abuja-kaduna Highway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.