Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,420 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement (1100 Views)

Comparision Of Tinubu's Certificate To INEC Vs CSU Copy Of Other Students / CSU: US Court Says Many Interested 3rd Parties Sending Emails To Influence Court / Atiku Vs Buhari: Daily Trust Newspaper Opinion Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by politicoNG: 11:33am On Sep 14, 2023
A befuddled Judge Jeffrey Gilbert of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois on Tuesday reserved judgement on the subpoena application for Bola Tinubu’s records, after learning that the Nigerian president’s college transcript, which he used to gain admission into Chicago State University (CSU) in 1977, indicated it belonged to a female.

The judge said he was prepared to rule on the matter when he scheduled a hearing for September 12, but he needed additional time to digest his decision after learning that there was a transcript bearing Bola A. Tinubu released by CSU under a separate court subpoena that carried the owner’s gender as female.

The female issue was raised by Mr Tinubu’s lawyer, Christopher Carmichael, who tried to use it to demonstrate the frivolity of the case before the court, dismissing it as a fishing expedition based entirely on a conspiracy theory being peddled in Nigeria by Mr Tinubu’s political detractors.

‘It is like Donald Trump coming up in 2010 to claim that Barack Obama was not born in the United States,” Mr Carmichael said.

But Alexandre de Gramont, lawyer to plaintiff Atiku Abubakar, quickly informed the court that the possibility of Bola Tinubu, who attended CSU in the same 1970s, being a woman was first revealed in records produced by the school itself. The school had, in mid-2022, submitted Mr Tinubu’s records in its possession while complying with a state court subpoena.

The records, handed over to Nigerian civil rights lawyer Mike Enahoro-Ebah, showed that Bola A. Tinubu was admitted into CSU in 1977 based on a transcript from Southwest College Chicago that was marked as belonging to a female.

Judge Gilbert became confused after CSU lawyer Michael Hayes confirmed that the school had indeed turned in records to Mr Enahoro-Ebah in 2022, but insisted that Mr Tinubu, the Nigerian president, was the one who attended and graduated from the school.

Mr Hayes, however, said he could not explain the contradictions, and the school’s administrators would not be able to state under oath that the certificate Mr Tinubu has been parading was genuine or otherwise.

“Is the diploma authentic or is it a forgery? My client can’t answer yes to either of those questions,” Mr Hayes said of Mr Tinubu’s certificate that he submitted to be Nigeria’s president.

Consequently, a confused Judge Gilbert said he would need additional time to process the confusion, especially given Mr Hayes’ confirmation of the records released last year by CSU.

“I will have to take this matter under advisement,” the judge said, adding that his court would communicate a new judgement or hearing date with counsel to all parties. The judge said additional documents or clarification about already submitted documents may be required from the parties.

Mr Gilbert’s docket was updated at night on September 12, hours after the judgement, and also confirmed that the matter is “taken under advisement for the reasons stated on the record.”

Judge Gilbert had earlier in the hearing said the court has always taken a liberal and broad view in granting similar requests under Section 1782, a statute that allows the release of documents and evidence domiciled in the U.S. to be obtained and used in a foreign proceeding, especially with countries that have legal reciprocity arrangements with the U.S. like Nigeria.

Mr Abubakar, the plaintiff and presidential candidate of the February polls, seeks the subpoena to clarify outstanding questions regarding Mr Tinubu’s background, particularly the age, gender and citizenship status under which he was admitted to CSU, records he said he wanted to use to prove his case that Mr Tinubu should not be Nigeria’s president because he submitted a forged certificate to electoral office INEC in violation of Nigeria’s Constitution.

Section 137 (1)(j) of the Nigerian Constitution (amended in 2010) specifically stated that no one would be legitimately elected president of Nigeria if the person “has presented a forged certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission.”

On June 17, 2022, Mr Tinubu submitted a certificate to INEC that he said under oath was issued to him in 1979 and signed by Elnora Daniel, purportedly president of the school at the time. But Ms Daniel only arrived at CSU in 1998 from Hampton University. She resigned from CSU on June 30, 2008, following months of financial mismanagement scandal that engulfed her the last months of her tenure.

Citing insufficient or improperly filed evidence of forgery, the Nigerian Court of Appeal affirmed Mr Tinbubu’s February 2023 election on September 6. Mr Abubakar, who filed the main petition against Mr Tinubu, said he was going to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court, believing strongly that Mr Tinubu had committed grievous assault against the Nigerian Constitution and should not be allowed to remain in office as a consequence.

Mr de Gramont pleaded with the court to expedite a ruling on the subpoena application because Mr Abubakar’s window to submit brief to the Supreme Court was running. The Nigerian president now has only six days left of the statutory 14 days to appeal the tribunal decision that affirmed Mr Tinubu’s election victory last Wednesday.

Source: PeoplesGazette
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by TemplarLandry: 11:35am On Sep 14, 2023
cool
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by killsmith(f): 11:42am On Sep 14, 2023
The magnitude of the forgery and criminality don scatter the judge brain.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by pquaver(m): 11:42am On Sep 14, 2023
politicoNG:

Source: PeoplesGazette

Obidients will soon insult USA and judge Gilbert the have been praising since ooo. Watch next line is "Biden helped Tinubu to bribe Gilbert".... No be obidients again.. Wait make judge Gilbert judgement no favour them first...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by gaby(m): 11:46am On Sep 14, 2023
A very well-written article. This is how to report, no be idiotic bloggers wey don take over the cyberspace with their illiteracy.

I just gained a better insight into this legal tussle.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Shawnnn01: 12:04pm On Sep 14, 2023
I just de fear for the judge social media account now
pquaver:

Obidients will soon insult USA and judge Gilbert the have been praising since ooo. What next line Biden help Tinubu to bribe gilbert.. No be obidients again.. Wait make judge no favour them first...
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Isobug: 12:08pm On Sep 14, 2023
pquaver:

Obidients will soon insult USA and judge Gilbert the have been praising since ooo. What next line Biden help Tinubu to bribe gilbert.. No be obidients again.. Wait make judge no favour them first...
You did not read the content. I doubt it

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by EyeCumInPiece: 12:09pm On Sep 14, 2023
Doesn't change the fact that Tinubu is a smart criminal that has so far managed to cover his criminal tracks and avoid prosecution. 👋

1 Like

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Bigkoko: 12:13pm On Sep 14, 2023
I feel for Honorable Judge Gilbert, he was simply stupefied by the scoop & possibly scale of the fraud and identity theft done by Asiwaju! And how he has been getting away with it since early 90s! Do you know that as far back as 1990, CSU has found out that Tinubu used an Oluwole to gain Admission into CSU. That is why they have refused to issue him a genuine certificate and dude has to resort to get it through the back door!

There is a case currently in the supreme court in the US that looks like this.

A genuine graduate came back to the school to issue him an affidavit that he graduated from the school. Mind you, this ex student has certificate, matriculation and all that. But for certain type of jobs in the US, you affidavit of this sort. This affidavit is needed for the new job the graduate just got. Guess what? The school searched their archive and found where a staff wrote a memo of sexual harassments brought against the ex student. The school refused to issue him the Affidavit. The graduate took the school to court requesting full disclosure about the allegation.

The reason for this is that once a certificate is issued, it simply means you who issued it have check 7 found that person worthy. And if at the time you issued it, and it is found that you have some information proving that that person isnt worthy, guess what? You can be sued for misleading the public!

United States of A is not a banana republic, it is a well run & well documented environment anyone sane would love to live!

1 Like

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by DevilsEqual(m): 12:14pm On Sep 14, 2023
Seeing how Obidients are already celebrating

It proves again why an average black man needs true mental independence
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Isobug: 12:15pm On Sep 14, 2023
gaby:
A very well-written article. This is how to report, no be idiotic bloggers wey don take over the cyberspace with their illiteracy.

I just gained better insight into this legal tussle.
I'm telling you. This is what I call comprehensive content. Now I understand the whole issue
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Gucciboy: 12:16pm On Sep 14, 2023
DevilsEqual:
Seeing how Obidients are already celebrating

It proves again why an average black man needs true mental independence

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by pquaver(m): 9:50pm On Sep 14, 2023
Isobug:

You did not read the content. I doubt it

I am telling what u will soon do.. No be u again... Wait make Gilbert dismiss the case... You will find one thing to accuse him... Dat 1 na sure banker..
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Chinjo2: 10:46pm On Sep 14, 2023
OLUWOLE
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by missionmex(m): 11:06pm On Sep 14, 2023
pquaver:

I am telling what u will soon today.. No be u again... Wait make Gilbert dismisssthe case... Youwill find one thing to accuse him... Dat 1 na sure banker..
U think they are corrupt like you here.
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Jiokejohn: 11:30pm On Sep 14, 2023
The Baggage is excess!
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by pquaver(m): 11:32pm On Sep 14, 2023
missionmex:

U think they are corrupt like you here.

Shebi na here we dey?
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Fkmodhi: 1:35am On Sep 15, 2023
I trust this court to unveil who the criminal Nigeria President is…. I just can’t wait tbh
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Gadafii: 2:29am On Sep 15, 2023
You can not defend tinubu, buhari and anything or anyone associated with APC without sounding stvpeed or idiooticc 😂😂😅
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Gadafi001(m): 2:38am On Sep 15, 2023
wink
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by BitterTruth01: 3:00am On Sep 15, 2023
The judge is stupefied and confused by the audacity of the agbado general
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by BitterTruth01: 3:00am On Sep 15, 2023
The judge is stupefied and confused by the audacity of the agbado general

cheesy
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 5:21am On Sep 15, 2023
law
Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Goodvibes007: 5:40am On Sep 15, 2023
Sensational news from gazette. They have read the mind of the judge and knows how he feels lol

The university confirmed that he graduated and are sticking to their guns.

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by Goodvibes007: 5:43am On Sep 15, 2023
Also from CBS news and not gazette sensational one.

If you drag CSU for the next 100 years, their story is not going to change.

Re: Atiku Vs CSU: US Court Reserves Judgement by pquaver(m): 6:32am On Sep 15, 2023
Isobug:

I'm telling you. This is what I call comprehensive content. Now I understand the whole issue

I am sure u see the foolishness of the hye from obidients...like the have proven something.. We waith for the judge

(1) (Reply)

Emefiele To Return 50 Billion Naira, Reached Agreement With FG / Kamala Harris Will Be The 1st Female US President. / Efcc In Nigeria Are They Really Helping Matters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.