Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,268 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide (25659 Views)

Doguwa: My Re-election To The NASS Absolves Me Of Culpable Homicide / Lekki Shooting: 81 Dons Write Biden, Seek Travel Ban For Culpable Officials / Maiduguri Airport Mutiny: Army Captain, 70 Others Detained For Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by TajuDEENaMao: 12:06am On Sep 15, 2023
The President, National Union of Road Transport Workers, Tajudeen Baruwa and 21 others, including three other national officers of the union are currently being detained by the police in Abuja, and have been charged with alleged criminal conspiracy, culpable homicide, public disturbance, and conduct likely to cause breach of peace.

They were arrested and detained between Tuesday and Wednesday, and subsequently moved to the facility of the defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad popularly known as abattoir, located in Guzape, Abuja, The PUNCH reports.

Confirming the development in an exclusive interview with our correspondent on Thursday night, the spokesperson for the FCT Police Command, Josephine Adeh revealed that the suspects would be charged in court following the conclusion of the police investigation.

“The NURTW President was arrested alongside 21 others. They’re being charged with criminal conspiracy, culpable homicide, public disturbance, and conducts likely to cause breach of peace. They’ll be arraigned in court once investigation is concluded,” Adeh revealed.

The PUNCH had on Tuesday reported that at least one person was killed, and several others injured, while the FCT Commissioner of Police, Haruna Garba earlier confirmed the arrest of 23 male suspects, and recovery of three riffles, following the chaos that engulfed the Garki area of the FCT on Tuesday during a violent clash between two factions of the NURTW on Sapele Crescent, off Ladoke Akintola Boulevard, Garki II, Abuja.

Speaking over the development in an exclusive interview with our correspondent on Tuesday night, CP Garba said, “Twenty-three persons have so far been arrested, and the death toll is only one; a yet-to-be-identified male. And three rifles were also recovered from the suspects.”

Meanwhile, our correspondent gathered that following the chaos that ensued on Tuesday, CP Garba invited Baruwa to a meeting on Wednesday which was also attended by the faction other NURTW faction led by its former Vice President, Tajudeen Agbede and Musiliu Akinsanya aka MC Oluomo, who was formerly leading the disbanded Lagos Park Management Committee whose members now occupy the NURTW Headquarters in Abuja.

A source who spoke in confidence for fear of victimisation, said Baruwa honoured the invitation believing that the meeting would help address the ongoing rift, but he was instead arrested and detained alongside three other NURTW national executives – the General Secretary, Chukwudi Asogwa, the Deputy General Secretary, Abdulkadir Musa, and another officer whose name could not be ascertained as at press time.

However, members and supporters of the Lagos State Park Management Committee led by Agbede who allegedly forcefully took over the NURTW national secretariat located at Garki 2 after a violent attack, were neither arrested nor detained.

The PUNCH reports that Baruwa had on several occasions raised the alarm and sought the intervention of the Nigeria Police Force and Department of State Services over an alleged plot by the Agbede and MC Oluomo’s group to launch a violent attack on the secretariat but the security operatives feigned ignorance.

Baruwa also alleged that the police were working in connivance with Agbede and Oluomo’s NURTW faction; an allegation that led the Nigeria Labour Congress to give the NPF a 48-hour ultimatum to vacate the secretariat of the union.

In a communiqué signed by the NLC President, Joe Ajaero, and the General Secretary, Emmanuel Ugboaja, the union had threatened it would muster all its affiliates for a showdown in support of what it said is the legally elected NURTW leadership.

It had accused the NPF of interfering in the internal affairs of NURTW and other unions, saying the police have usurped powers of arbitration in disputes, contrary to the dictates of statutes governing industrial relations.

It also alleged that the Inspector-General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun did not intervene following the invasion of the NURTW national secretariat by thugs to unseat the elected leadership of the NURTW. The NLC affirmed the legality of the Baruwa-led NURTW leadership, and warned that moves to upturn governance of the transport union could lead to breakdown of law and order.

https://punchng.com/breaking-nurtw-president-baruwa-others-detained-over-alleged-culpable-homicide/?amp

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Fkmodhi: 1:29am On Sep 15, 2023
Thiefnubuuuui boys working so hard to take over Abuja NURTW all d way from Lagos very great development…. Our darling daddy boys must take over either by snatching it or destroy it….

104 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Jlow2: 2:03am On Sep 15, 2023
The squad that came from Lagos to take over the abuja office, and brutalized people in front of police and dss, why were they not arrested?

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Jbleenk: 2:48am On Sep 15, 2023
Hmm this is so brazen. Did I read right? My Oluomo Lagos disbanded team stage a violent take over and went Scott free? I’m a supporter of Tinubu but this is not something I will support.

NPF need to do the right thing and bring those who should be bought to book to book.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by ONEjoblessGUY: 2:48am On Sep 15, 2023
Since tajudeen baruwa don loose guard nah.......
Mc oluomo becoming NURTW national president had come easy............

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Racoon(m): 3:30am On Sep 15, 2023
So MC Oluomo boys invaded Abuja in broad daylight to ensure he become the national chair of the NURTW by those acts of hooliganism, brigandage & gangsterism?

Meanwhile the DSS, NPF and even the trigger-itchy and happy #EndSARS Nigerian Army sat as lame ducks amusing themselves while anarchy reigned supremely in the nation's seat of power?

What the sane people envisaged has happened. The legalization of toutism, thuggery, and agberoism @ the national level. This is the lawlessness Seunmsg here on the platform was defending with all his might. When Asari Dokubo and his branded thugs invaded Abuja was when I acknowledged that Nigeria is now a criminally captured state.

107 Likes 14 Shares

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Racoon(m): 3:37am On Sep 15, 2023
Fkmodhi:
Thiefnubuuuui boys working so hard to take over Abuja NURTW all d way from Lagos very great development…. Our darling daddy boys must take over either by snatching it or destroy it….
Power: "Grab it, snatch it and run with it" - Bola Tinubu.

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Houseofglam7(f): 5:09am On Sep 15, 2023
Their business

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by magabounce(m): 5:12am On Sep 15, 2023
Hmmmmm.... Abuja don cast be that oooo
Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by AllenSpencer: 5:18am On Sep 15, 2023
The Nigerian police need to be eliminating these thugs in captivity.

Is it too difficult to poison someone in jail?

6 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Chibuzoripob: 5:22am On Sep 15, 2023
sad Oluomo is really doing Baruwa shege
Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by obi58: 5:22am On Sep 15, 2023
AllenSpencer:
The Nigerian police need to be eliminating these thugs in captivity.

Is it too difficult to poison someone in jail?

How can you write something like this?

What if this happens to one of your loved ones?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:23am On Sep 15, 2023
Any one guilty should face the consequences of their evil act.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by AllenSpencer: 5:23am On Sep 15, 2023
obi58:

How can you write something like this?

What if this happens to one of your loved ones?

If my loved one is a miscreant, it’s welcomed!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by DeTribalisedCit: 5:23am On Sep 15, 2023
It's not like this is unexpected. It was already foreseen that the violence meted out by Tinubu boys during the elections would come with some form of national reward.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by slimjohn2k5: 5:24am On Sep 15, 2023
Their style of justice will soon catch up with them.

3 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Zupay: 5:25am On Sep 15, 2023
Thugs.....so MC Oluomo and im boys don take over NURTW Headquarters in Abuja, Tinubu's administration is really favouring him and his boys. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by madmohamed(m): 5:26am On Sep 15, 2023
TajuDEENaMao:

https://punchng.com/breaking-nurtw-president-baruwa-others-detained-over-alleged-culpable-homicide/?amp
I don't understand the people who are not into transportation business will be fighting to become chairman of the organization

The should go to onisha and do that nonsense

4 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by 96ACE: 5:29am On Sep 15, 2023
They’re clearing way for MC to take over grin

2 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Boyooosa(m): 5:29am On Sep 15, 2023
Let thine be eliminateth, if found guilty without furthereth delay embarassed
Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by princeade86(m): 5:31am On Sep 15, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by emmabest2000(m): 5:32am On Sep 15, 2023
Homicide

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by jubrilELsudan: 5:33am On Sep 15, 2023
I NO FIT LAFF

THUBV NO SEND MC OLUOMO AND HIM GANG AGAIN

BY THE TIME THUBV FINISH WITH DEM....DEM GO CARRY BIBLE BEGIN DEY PREACH

2 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Xkale1996(m): 5:36am On Sep 15, 2023
This mc oloumo I no just understand the criminal

2 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Bedminton: 5:37am On Sep 15, 2023
Lol, how do expect an organisation to thrive when the bedrocks are th*gs

Video editors, fantastic messi slideshow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5r4keJfMhI

2 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Blitzerz: 5:39am On Sep 15, 2023
Fct people better resist mc oluomo and his gang now.
Otherwise future elections in that place will be bloodshed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by Nobody: 5:40am On Sep 15, 2023
What a disgrace but I am not surprised... 😒

2 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by quickee: 5:44am On Sep 15, 2023
TajuDEENaMao:

What do you all expect? A failed country where everyone does whatever pleases him as long as he has people in power.

3 Likes

Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by OneCandleAway(f): 5:48am On Sep 15, 2023
madmohamed:
I don't understand the people who are not into transportation business will be fighting to become chairman of the organization

The should go to onisha and do that nonsense

Does this comment make sense to you?
Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by otomatic(m): 5:49am On Sep 15, 2023
As expected.
Re: NURTW President, Baruwa, Others Detained Over Alleged Culpable Homicide by OKUCHI11(m): 5:49am On Sep 15, 2023
They'll surely dismiss the case on the ground of
1. lack ok enough evidence and
2. secondly they lack the Locus Standi to bring up the issue and
3. thirdly the case came out as a civil case and

4.fourthly the issue has been going on before the general election so it is a pre-election matter
5. There is no special status attached to those that died so they should be treated as other citizens that have died and their cases swept under the carpet ...

And my Lord why must I also use numbering when I have already itemized my point... CASE SHOULD BE THROWN OUT OF TO THE DOGS

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko-Haram Amnesty; Jonathan Betrayed Igbos? / I Am Now Fully Obidient - See The Reasons - Odewale Adesoye / Hushpuppi: Kyari Not Reinstated — Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.