Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? (1042 Views)

Why Do We Call Ourselves Nigeria? This Is Songhai Empire. Our Name Is SONGHAI. / 2023: Jonathan Shouldn't Mess Up His Good Name By Contesting - Idahosa / What Will Be A Good Name For A South South Republic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by Fejoku: 1:19pm On Sep 15, 2023
Yorubas and fulanis can adopt the name Songhai after Nigeria has disintegrated. We from the Eastern side had no contact or business with Songhai. We have our own identity which was well recorded in history and that name was BIAFRA. As you all know, we have bled for that name and it is what we still prefer to identify with. Therefore, whatever is your reason for coming up with Songhai should remain with you and those who have any affiliation with it.
Egbe biri, ugo biri. Nke si na ibeya agaghị ebi, nku kwakwa ya.

3 Likes

Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 1:27pm On Sep 15, 2023
The new Songhai £ would be 7.40 to the dollar once 2 zeros have been taking out from the current rate of 740 to the dollar.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by pandax: 1:31pm On Sep 15, 2023
KnowAll:

My grandfather a wealthy ondo farmer and the first man to have a car in Ondo, used to have Igbo’s and midwestern carry him in a hammock to his farm. Would you call such indentured workers slaves. That was how they lived back in the days.

Indentured servitude is different from slavery

Afamefuna in Achebe's "Thing Fall Apart" could be regarded as an Indentured Servitude worker, but not a slave
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by pandax: 1:35pm On Sep 15, 2023
KnowAll:
The new Songhai £ would be 7.40 to the dollar once 2 zeros have been taking out from the current rate of 740 to the dollar.

You may be testing the waters for the Presidency, but it will not fly. The currency redenomination might fly, but not Songhai for Nigeria
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 1:37pm On Sep 15, 2023
Fejoku:
Yorubas and fulanis can adopt the name Songhai after Nigeria has disintegrated. We from the Eastern side had no contact or business with Songhai. We have our own identity which was well recorded in history and that name was BIAFRA. As you all know, we have bled for that name and it is what we still prefer to identify with. Therefore, whatever is your reason for coming up with Songhai should remain with you and those who have any affiliation with it.
Egbe biri, ugo biri. Nke si na ibeya agaghị ebi, nku kwakwa ya.

The problem with igbo’s is you have never been organised. Like yorubas and the Hausa city state. The only paramount ruler is the obi of Ontisha and I understand he migrated from Benin.

It is a new contraption now that every little community now have a chief, it is a new phenomenon borrowed from the west and North.

Having said that, how dear Igbo nation reject d name Songhai when they have never had any organised community in their existence. Is it wonder y the east is bedlam’s of unknown gun men because every wants to be boss. At times u need to succumb to authority.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by Fejoku: 1:55pm On Sep 15, 2023
KnowAll:

The problem with igbo’s is you have never been organised. Like yorubas and the Hausa city state. The only paramount ruler is the obi of Ontisha and I understand he migrated from Benin.

It is a new contraption now that every little community now have a chief, it is a new phenomenon borrowed from the west and North.

Having said that, how dear Igbo nation reject d name Songhai when they have never had any organised community in their existence. Is it wonder y the east is bedlam’s of unknown gun men because every wants to be boss. At times u need to succumb to authority.
If I don't know Yoruba history, I would.have been misled to assume the jargons you typed made any sense. When Yorubas were fighting Kiriji wars and killing themselves because they couldn't agree on anything among themselves, we in Igboland were leaving peacefully. Your ancestors had to beg the Europeans to intervene and save you from yourselves. Even Ilorin was lost to the fulanis- you current masters because Yorubas failed to agree among themselves. Am I lying? Do you want me to bring proofs to all the claims I made in this comment?
Ndigbo- a formidable people whose history recorded us as living in peace with other smaller groups all around us proves the level of egalitarianism found among us. We have an identity before the colonialism and we still have our identity till date. A stupid nitwit from the jungles of Oshogbo can't be the one to tell us what to adopt and what not to.
Keep your Songhai to yourselves and your fulani masters while we keep our BIAFRA to ourselves and our brothers in our region.

4 Likes

Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by godofuck231: 1:55pm On Sep 15, 2023
oyatz:

How do you re-value the Naira?
think of devaluation
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 2:00pm On Sep 15, 2023
Fejoku:

If I don't know Yoruba history, I would.have been misled to assume the jargons you typed made any sense. When Yorubas were fighting Kiriji wars and killing themselves because they couldn't agree on anything among themselves, we in Igboland were leaving peacefully. Your ancestors had to beg the Europeans to intervene and save you from yourselves. Even Ilorin was lost to the fulanis- you current masters because Yorubas failed to agree among themselves. Am I lying? Do you want me to bring proofs to all the claims I made in this comment?
Ndigbo- a formidable people whose history recorded us as living in peace with other smaller groups all around us proves the level of egalitarianism found among us. We have an identity before the colonialism and we still have our identity till date. A stupid nitwit from the jungles of Oshogbo can't be the one to tell us what to adopt and what not to.
Keep your Songhai to yourselves and your fulani masters while we keep our BIAFRA to ourselves and our brothers in our region.

How can a people who loosely organise fight anyone. I told you my grandfather had more than 500 indentured Igbo labourers.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by ValarDoharis: 2:16pm On Sep 15, 2023
Your bigotry was easily triggered
KnowAll:

Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by ValarDoharis: 2:18pm On Sep 15, 2023
Laborers? You could have called them slaves but you don't wanna call your grandfather a slave master
KnowAll:

How can a people who loosely organise fight anyone. I told you my grandfather had more than 500 indentured Igbo labourers.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by Fejoku: 2:25pm On Sep 15, 2023
KnowAll:

Your grandfather also had 1000 unicorns... I wonder why you forgot to add it to your claims.
Igbo sub-groups ensured to deal with any ambitious kingdoms around us. The Benin felt it hence they built a moat on their Eastern flank. The Igalas warriors on expansion felt it and many had to assimilate. We don't really believe in violence as Igbo people. Anyone who has lived with us will observe it but if the need to defend arises, then be sure that the opponent will be stung beyond what he expected.
Keep Songhai to yourselves while we keep BIAFRA to ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by sunboy(m): 2:34pm On Sep 15, 2023
KnowAll:

Rather than go for all this your Bo-something names I think Wazobia might be better or Songhai.

We have no business with Songhai, we can’t adult a name that reflect other peoples history.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 2:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
Fejoku:

Your grandfather also had 1000 unicorns... I wonder why you forgot to add it to your claims.
Igbo sub-groups ensured to deal with any ambitious kingdoms around us. The Benin felt it hence they built a most on their Eastern flank. The Igalas warriors on expansion felt it and many had to assimilate. We don't really believe in violence as Igbo people. Anyone who has lived with us will observe it but if the need to defend arises, then be sure that the opponent will be stung beyond what he expected.

In other climes they may be called slaves but were at d beck and call of the old who was a high chief with about 20 wives.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 2:50pm On Sep 15, 2023
sunboy:

We have no business with Songhai, we can’t adult a name that reflect other peoples history.

Wazobia has know history behind it. It is a shallow name without any significance. The ethnic minority would feel slighted by the name sef.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 2:59pm On Sep 15, 2023
The most important thing to know is that Northern Nigeria and as far south to Oyo, Ogun, Oshun state where part of the empire that explains the relevance of the empire religion Islam in as far south as Lagos.

Uthamn danfodio did not bring Islam to the SW, it was brought to the SW between the time of Mali/ Songhai empire.

Islam was also wide spread in Southern Dahomey , Togo and Ghana.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by ednut1(m): 4:22pm On Sep 15, 2023
gidgiddy:

What it did for them is that they no longer answer a colonial name created by the white man, which is a disgrace to do after achieving independence
same white man controls the reserves of Benin, Ghana is also controlled by the west. This is like saying I broke up with my boyfriend. But the boyfriend can call you to come cook or have sex with him. Have you broken up
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by Fejoku: 6:23pm On Sep 15, 2023
KnowAll:

In other climes they may be called slaves but were at d beck and call of the old who was a high chief with about 20 wives.
Whatever makes you happy as long as it remains in your head then it is fine by me.
Keep your Songhai to Yoruba land and the territories controlled by your fulani masters.
We have our own identity already.

1 Like

Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by sunboy(m): 9:41pm On Sep 15, 2023
KnowAll:

Wazobia has know history behind it. It is a shallow name without any significance. The ethnic minority would feel slighted by the name sef.

I agree with you, but wazobia with no significance to our history is still closer to us than Songhai.
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by oyatz(m): 1:32am On Sep 16, 2023
godofuck231:
think of devaluation

But the Nair wasn't devalued either.

The ere of valuation or devaluation is gone a long time ago.

The Naira was just left for market forces to determine it's value
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by godofuck231: 1:44am On Sep 16, 2023
oyatz:

But the Nair wasn't devalued either.

The ere of valuation or devaluation is gone a long time ago.

The Naira was just left for market forces to determine it's value
there are no forces, its a thing of mental bandage, if the nigerian central bank starts stacking up gold bars watch the way the west will attack nigeria with war or the leader gets killed or ousted like gaddafi
Re: Is Songhai A Good Name For Nigeria??? by onumadu: 4:00am On Sep 16, 2023
Fejoku:

Igbo sub-groups ensured to deal with any ambitious kingdoms around us. The Benin felt it hence they built a moat on their Eastern flank. The Igalas warriors on expansion felt it and many had to assimilate. We don't really believe in violence as Igbo people. Anyone who has lived with us will observe it but if the need to defend arises, then be sure that the opponent will be stung beyond what he expected.

These people can't understand Igbo people at all. lol
The day their eyes will clear is the day that Nigeria disintegrates.
With the way they are going about things in Nigeria, it will surely disintegrate.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

CSU Registrar: Tinubu Graduated With Distinction / What If Biafran Successfully Seceded After 2 Years into the war? Part 1 / Inec Prof. Maurice Iwu-the Unverified Umpire With A Fake Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.