Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist (39631 Views)

I Have Great Respect For People With These Professions. / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude? / 10 Nigeria Professions That Never Escape Law Of Karma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by RichThug(m): 1:48pm On Sep 18, 2023
kilonshele101:
I would have made a lot of money from one of these professions. Don’t ask me which one grin

Rat Catcher?? grin
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Mayoisemj4real(m): 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2023
Noted
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Kenmatt(m): 1:55pm On Sep 18, 2023
I was actually hoping to see Legal Profession.

Since that day these men were Sleeping when national issue were being crushed before them, I began to see that Profession as obsolete.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Akerele44(m): 1:58pm On Sep 18, 2023
Buhari4dullard:
Tinubu & S0uth Waste people no go gree thuggery die.

They took it from Lagos to Abuja.
Thats what happens when a druglord becomes president

Sense restoration in olden days
Pls come and restore this mumu brain 🧠

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by pendragonbladgo(m): 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
kilonshele101:
I would have made a lot of money from one of these professions. Don’t ask me which one grin
Aba I know nah, grave robbing
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by peacettw: 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
AllBlack:
interesting.
Many modern day jobs will become outdated with the coming of 5G and AI.
while you are waiting for the "trumpet" to sound, don't forget to make yourself relevant.

Good one
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by ThatCEO: 2:06pm On Sep 18, 2023
So oyinbo self get "Skullarship" wink

Bring back the cigarette girls please grin
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Pootle: 2:15pm On Sep 18, 2023
things happen for yester years oo shocked
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by alwayzonlyn(m): 2:21pm On Sep 18, 2023
Very interesting and enlightening.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by uuzba(m): 2:25pm On Sep 18, 2023
OP is just showing useless information.
The NORMAL ones here in Nigeria that are supposed to exist, you didn't show those ones.
You are busy showing bullshit/bizzare white people jobs that NEVER existed in Nigeria in the first place.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Banbanna(m): 2:25pm On Sep 18, 2023
Insightful piece really. But wait o, not quite long ago I came across a documentary where leaches were placed on the skin of certain persons by a therapist to do some of the bloodletting, removing some dead skin cells. This one isn't exactly extinct. Medical experts still consider it as some sort of alternative remedy, kinda naturopathic. And those ice cutters job could just be a seasonal one, coz I doubt it freezes all year round except in the Arctic region, else they'll have to go far up north for ice.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by uuzba(m): 2:26pm On Sep 18, 2023
Kenmatt:
I was actually hoping to see Legal Profession.

Since that day these men were Sleeping when national issue were being crushed before them, I began to see that Profession as obsolete.

OP is just showing useless information.
The NORMAL ones here in Nigeria that are supposed to exist, he didn't show those ones.
He is busy showing bullshit/bizzare white people jobs that NEVER existed in Nigeria in the first place.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Jsucre(m): 2:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
Buhari4dullard:
Tinubu & S0uth Waste people no go gree thuggery die.

They took it from Lagos to Abuja.
Thats what happens when a druglord becomes president
it's another Monday, you Neva move on. Hapụ asị, chere echi
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Omoawoke2(m): 2:53pm On Sep 18, 2023
jeffkennedy:
Same way a lot of jobs currently in existence will become obsolete, as a matter of fact, a lot of courses in our university are not relevant in our society. This explains the reason why we have graduates that cannot create jobs rather everyone is looking for a non existent job. As an individual reading this, make yourself relevant or look for a relevant skill to learn otherwise you will be in a difficult situation sooner tha n later.

Absolutely correct.

Coding for example will soon be a thing anyone with logic can do. Just tell AI what you want and it will code it perfectly rather than learning a programming language from start

1 Like

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Daataane: 2:55pm On Sep 18, 2023
You forgot to add recharge card sellers in traffic, people that download music and Video on your phone and you pay them at the end of the day

C Ds sellers that play louds music in the neighborhood etc

Our society is in constant change... maybe in the nearest future, dispatch Riders, Truck drivers and other jobs would-be taken care of by AI

1 Like

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by diesel86: 3:01pm On Sep 18, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Taxi... this is my stop!

@OP nice one sire. we don't get to see interesting and educative topics like this on this forum smh. It's always about BBnaija and other craps!

Reason an average Nigerian lack basic knowledge in world history.

If you ask 100 random Nigerian men how Adolf Hitler died... You would probably get around 99 wrong answers.
Ask 100 women the same question, you would get 200 wrong answers(The female are worse, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it because I'm a female)

Meanwhile there are 11 years old boys/girls who can recite all past BBNAIJA winners till present.

Not funny.

"Those who do not know the past are condemned to repeat it"

"Ignorance is dangerous, it is the biggest enemy of development and a killer of civilization"

Take it is easy, it is not only a Nigerian issue it is a GLOBAL problem, Youth in U.S.A are even more guilty of this
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by EmmyMaestro(m): 3:26pm On Sep 18, 2023
That no. 9, if that was what they called revealing outfit then, they need to see what women are wearing today
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by bergs2: 3:28pm On Sep 18, 2023
ShoeWorld1:
Rats catchers are being replaced by snake catchers.

We even have a snake MOD on Nairaland.

Lala the snake man.....
I go chop ban very soon
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by MimiSheWrote(f): 3:38pm On Sep 18, 2023
diesel86:

Take it is easy, it is not only a Nigerian issue it is a GLOBAL problem, Youth in U.S.A are even more guilty of this
There are ignorant people everywhere around the world, no doubt about that.... even in the U.S like you said.

I'm just saying that when you compare that to the level of ignorance in Nigeria/Africa it would get swallowed a whole.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by riches4me(m): 3:41pm On Sep 18, 2023
6. Rat Catcher is still in vogue. New York sometime required their services due to rats infestation in the city
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by tonicyril: 3:47pm On Sep 18, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Taxi... this is my stop!

@OP nice one sire. we don't get to see interesting and educative topics like this on this forum smh. It's always about BBnaija and other craps!

Reason an average Nigerian lack basic knowledge in world history.

If you ask 100 random Nigerian men how Adolf Hitler died... You would probably get around 99 wrong answers.
Ask 100 women the same question, you would get 200 wrong answers(The female are worse, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it because I'm a female)

Meanwhile, there are 11 years old boys/girls who could recite all past BBNAIJA winners from season one to present.

Not funny...

* "Those who do not know the past are condemned to repeat it"

* "Ignorance is dangerous, it is the biggest obstacle to development and a slayer of civilizations"

sebi na poison kill Hitler?? Abi?
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by jojothaiv(m): 3:48pm On Sep 18, 2023
RepoMan007:
Humans are naturally selfish. Claiming machine(robots inclusive) will take away jobs is just another expresionnof that selfish instinct. If these professionals could learn other trades and survive on, we should stop being afraid of more productive robots and machines. They are only making things cheaper to make.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by drlateef: 3:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
Rapmoney:
10. Groom of the Stool
This job may be one of the strangest thus far, but someone had to do it.

The Groom of the Stool was responsible for speaking with the King and providing them with the essentials they needed to go to the bathroom.

In addition, they would supply the monarch with towels, water, and a washbowl to finish his business.

It’s still debatable whether the Groom of the Stool wiped the King’s butt, but there is no definitive proof on this one.

The Groom of the Stool would also empty the chamber pot.

Going to the bathroom was extremely private, and the position was necessary since the Groom also acted as a confidante to the leader.

Under Henry VIII, The Groom even monitored the King’s bowel movements to ensure he was in good health and, if not, spoke to doctors to remedy the situation.

Eventually, this position evolved but never lost value; most could attribute a financial advisor to a Groom of the Stool.

I was looking for one profession that died in Nigeria about 30 years ago. Indomie generation might not know them. They were the NIGHT SOIL MEN. Are you wondering what that meant? They were people who used to evacuate feaces from bocket toilets that was common in those days. They would use shovel to pack feaces into their own buckets and carry it on their head to the feaces tank driven about from street to street in Lagos and other states in Nigeria. Most of the professionals came from one ethnic group in Nigeria. I won’t say more than that because the people from that ethnic group hate to be identified with that job. It is still a stigma on that ethnicity till today.

1 Like

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by millhouse: 3:55pm On Sep 18, 2023
However the oldest profession known to man ( Prostitution) is still here with us till tomorrow , only the name changes .

1 Like

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by wunaESQ(m): 3:57pm On Sep 18, 2023
those cigarette girls... na dem de do hookup today.... d job is very much alive
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Ikennaford: 4:00pm On Sep 18, 2023
Rubbish, wetin concern us with this kinda job, non of 'em ever existed here in Africa and we don't know it, so why creating shit niqqi
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Kingcalls: 4:06pm On Sep 18, 2023
I would have done extremely well as a human alarm clock.... and I think most Nigerian roads need the street lamblighter
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by dahunsi12(m): 4:06pm On Sep 18, 2023
EmmyMaestro:
That no. 9, if that was what they called revealing outfit then, they need to see what women are wearing today

You want to shake table abi
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Dpaulie(m): 4:08pm On Sep 18, 2023
Let's talk about extinction jobs in Nigeria and Africa
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by EmmyMaestro(m): 4:17pm On Sep 18, 2023
Abi I lie. ?

dahunsi12:

You want to shake table abi

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top Things That Take Your Monthly Salary Silently- Cotenant.com.ng / What Is The Lowest Income A Person Living In Lagos Should Earn To Live Decently? / How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.