Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,534 members, 7,812,661 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist (39624 Views)

I Have Great Respect For People With These Professions. / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude? / 10 Nigeria Professions That Never Escape Law Of Karma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by omoyankee3(m): 5:08pm On Sep 18, 2023
Read about the "resurrection man" in Tess of the D'urbervilles
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by TongueTwista(m): 5:11pm On Sep 18, 2023
kilonshele101:
I would have made a lot of money from one of these professions. Don’t ask me which one grin

You be like who go sabi catch rats wella😂.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Mcreloaded(m): 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2023
[quote author=Cholls post=125869439] My brother this list is not complete o. What about people that carry shiit(pupu) in the midnight[/quote

Night soil men

Aka Agbekpo
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Mcreloaded(m): 5:40pm On Sep 18, 2023
Cholls:
My brother this list is not complete o. What about people that carry shiit(pupu) in the midnight

Night soil men

Aka Agbekpo
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by professore(m): 5:42pm On Sep 18, 2023
Ice cutter grin
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by MimiSheWrote(f): 6:16pm On Sep 18, 2023
tonicyril:
sebi na poison kill Hitler?? Abi?
Uhm actually he committed suicide by swallowing a cyanide capsule along side his newly wedded wife.. and then proceeded to shoot himself in the head.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by armadeo(m): 7:15pm On Sep 18, 2023
Rapmoney:
5. Lamplighter
It was the duty of a lamplighter to light the streets at night, just as it is with today’s electric streetlights.

Lamplighters used a long pole with a wick on one end to light the oil or candles in streetlamps, then returned to snuff them in the morning.

It’s challenging to locate a full-time lamplight, particularly in the United States, but they may hang out in tourist attractions in other countries.

Lamp lighting started to decline with the invention of gas lamps in 1814 in Europe and possibly even faster because of the incandescent light bulb by Thomas Edison in 1879.

The profession was obsolete and all but extinct by the early 1900s.

The boys had a character called lamplighter.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by tonicyril: 7:22pm On Sep 18, 2023
MimiSheWrote:
Uhm actually he committed suicide by swallowing a cyanide capsule and shooting himself in the head.

I guess he didn't want to take any chances.

Only a man like Hitler can lead a war....

I salute his courage....

One certain man from enugu would have absconded living behind millions of p!glets just to be roasted by the zoo army grin grin grin
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by RussellRutherfo: 7:37pm On Sep 18, 2023
kilonshele101:
I would have made a lot of money from one of these professions. Don’t ask me which one grin

It was rat catching that you did at your Village for free. Only to discover that people made so much money from it in the time past.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Obasempiree(m): 7:39pm On Sep 18, 2023
Rapmoney:
There was a time when certain professions were in high demand, but as our society evolved and advanced, some of these professions became obsolete.

Moreover, with the aspect of ever-changing technology, many jobs that exist today are vastly different – or nonexistent – from those 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

So, what happened to all those old careers?

This list will discuss some of the strangest but back-then-necessary jobs that have disappeared.

You can mainly attribute the disappearance of many of these ways to make money to technological advances.

For example, modern bowling alleys have elaborate systems that collect balls and pins, so pinsetters are no longer necessary.

Likewise, with the spread of proper refrigeration, the cool job of ice cutters became a thing of the past.

This article will discuss ten strange professions that no longer exist.

Who knows, maybe you’ll learn about a job that your ancestors did before you were born.

1. The Human Alarm Clock
In the days before alarm clocks, people used to hire others to wake them up in the morning.

It may not seem complicated, but it was quite an essential job in the 1800s.

The “Human Alarm Clocks” or “Knocker Uppers” would often use long poles to tap on the windows of their employers or even shoot peas at the glass of their windows.

It may seem like an unnecessary job, but think about it, didn’t people back then need to wake up at certain times too?

After all, you could miss an important meeting or appointment if you oversleep.

Can you imagine having to pay someone to wake you up every morning?
This is why learning is important, very soon many jobs today will also be obsolete. Learn and evolve tech is taking over today. Maybe in a few years time:
1) data science/computerized data recording would completely replace accounting/accountants.

2) Lawyers might be replaced by advance robotic justice system.

3) airline pilots might be replaced by self flying planes.

4) Therapists might be replaced by artificial diagnostics intelligence.

5) etc and so on.

Just never stop learning/ evolving the world is moving really fast.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by motymop: 8:23pm On Sep 18, 2023
Ice cutters still exist in Nigeria
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by jhonmartin61515: 8:44pm On Sep 18, 2023
Thank you for shedding light on these intriguing and now obsolete professions. It's fascinating how technology has transformed the way we live and work, rendering some roles from the past obsolete. The 'Human Alarm Clock' role is a great example of how Insta Zara daily routines have evolved with time and innovation. It's a reminder of how far we've come!
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Raf4: 9:02pm On Sep 18, 2023
Buhari4dullard:
Tinubu & S0uth Waste people no go gree thuggery die.

They took it from Lagos to Abuja.
Thats what happens when a druglord becomes president

Same way you still embrace osu caste practiced by your ancestors, even in this 21st century. Shame 🫠

1 Like

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Lincton: 9:37pm On Sep 18, 2023
When was the last time you see:

Umbrella repairers

Cooking pot fillers (pots with holes)

Bicycle repairers

Advancements cause changes

2 Likes

Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by ojonugba2014(m): 10:06pm On Sep 18, 2023
AI ( artificial intelligence) WL take a lot of people off thier Jobs in years to come

If u like ,don't think ND be smart oooo

Sapa pro max awaits you on Future
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Adgraced: 11:02am On Sep 20, 2023
Wow. The ice cutter though! Meanwhile DM me for your original Honey. Wholesale ( from 20 litres) also available.
Re: 10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist by Swiftgrp: 10:45pm On Oct 30, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top Things That Take Your Monthly Salary Silently- Cotenant.com.ng / What Is The Lowest Income A Person Living In Lagos Should Earn To Live Decently? / How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.