Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,877 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful (39430 Views)

Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election / Obasanjo: I Have Seen Three Olu Of Warri, I Don’t Want To See Fourth Coronation / Obasanjo: I Am Not An Ex Military Man But A Former Military Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Reflect7: 4:26pm On Sep 18, 2023
Rodinat:
So Queen of England during her life time used to stand up for premier minister?
This people just come to brainwash us, what they are not doing in their land,they telling you to do it.Youruba ronu o

Honestly I just don’t know what is wrong with us as a people.

We are so easy to conquer mentally, whereas others are not.

That’s why we’re in this situation.

We are mentally WEAK as a people.

We lack mental fortitude.

It’s pitiful.

Because someone comes with a gun, they abandon their culture and start worshiping the person. The Chinese, Indians and Japanese don’t do this. Only Africans.

Tufia.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by vannessa7(f): 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2023
LARRYOBRAIN:
During the Gubernatorial election the same governor will be visiting Obas soliciting for votes; now he is powerful.
Baba Obasanjo got it wrong on this.

God bless you, as I read the comments from first page I was looking for someone with this line of thought but unfortunately common sense is not common.
The obas represent the people more than any governor and the people feel more emotionally attached to their kings than their governor anywhere, also the governor's tenure is four years after which he start lobbying for votes again and even if he succeeds he then spend another 4years whereas the obas position is for life, as a governor if you disrespect a king his people might feel offended and not vote you in any election again unless you don't have a political career anymore. The obas can also move his people to support and vote a political candidate or go against him. That governor had better find a way to make amends with the king's or else this incident will wait for him in the future.
As for Obasanjo he is just a sore loser, he is bitter against Yorubas right now for voting Tinubu. Grapevine has it that Obasanjos father is an igbo man and if true he is aware of that fact thus his love hate relationship with Yoruba. In his bid to revenge he has nothing to lose but he is about to sacrifice the political career of the governor and his offspring because Yorubas don't forget.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by OneCandleAway(f): 4:27pm On Sep 18, 2023
Reflect7:

You are the ONLY intelligent person on this thread. The rest are just thoughtless zombie slaves of British agenda. Completely brainwashed to hate themselves and their heritage. They are disgusting.

Thanks for your fresh air of insight and intelligence.

It is an ABOMINATION for ANYBODY to command a traditional leader to stand up.

It is a DESECRATION of African culture and tradition, and OBASANJO is a an absolute WORTHLESS ANIMAL and a BASTARD to dare try and justify his ABOMINATION.

Nonsense.

So because foreigners invaded us with guns a century ago, we must now abandon our thousands of years old culture of respect for traditional leaders?

Now ORDER traditional leaders to stand up and sit down?

Because the British came here with guns?

How can a people be so fcking stupid and hopeless mentally?

How can you allow foreigners to come in and use a GUN to destroy your age old traditions?

Demented, stupid people.

Tufia.

You need to relax. There are levels to this kingship issue. Obviously a first class king will be addressed respectfully.

So many people that were originally baale were converted to King's and you can't expect them to have the level of respect that a historical king will have.

Do you remember when ajimobi had issue with olubadan and made about 10 baale into King's, is that the people supposed to be disrespecting the governor.

Nigeria has no business creating new King's that are a burden on the government purse. Especially when there is no historical backing to that kingship
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Reflect7: 4:37pm On Sep 18, 2023
OneCandleAway:

You need to relax. There are levels to this kingship issue. Obviously a first class king will be addressed respectfully.

So many people that were originally baale were converted to King's and you can't expect them to have the level of respect that a historical king will have.

Do you remember when ajimobi had issue with olubadan and made about 10 baale into King's, is that the people supposed to be disrespecting the governor.

Nigeria has no business creating new King's that are a burden on the government purse. Especially when there is no historical backing to that kingship

Sorry, I disagree. These are excuses.

The disrespect by Obasanjo is against the institution of traditional leadership.

You MUST respect the institutions of our African traditional culture, which are tens of thousands of years old, long before any British people existed.

You cannot say because you appointed someone a traditional leader, it gives you the right to disrespect the INSTITUTION of traditional leadership. They are two very different things.

You can meet the traditional leader in private to discuss your disagreements with him. But to come out in PUBLIC and be shouting “stand up!”, and “sit down” at them, is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND AN OUTRAGE, and must be condemned fully by all Nigerians.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by GistFullGround: 5:04pm On Sep 18, 2023
I love OBJ!
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by musicwriter(m): 5:16pm On Sep 18, 2023
Reflect7:

You are the ONLY intelligent person on this thread. The rest are just thoughtless zombie slaves of British agenda. Completely brainwashed to hate themselves and their heritage. They are disgusting.

Thanks for your fresh air of insight and intelligence.

It is an ABOMINATION for ANYBODY to command a traditional leader to stand up.

It is a DESECRATION of African culture and tradition, and OBASANJO is a an absolute WORTHLESS ANIMAL and a BASTARD to dare try and justify his ABOMINATION.

Nonsense.

So because foreigners invaded us with guns a century ago, we must now abandon our thousands of years old culture of respect for traditional leaders?

Now ORDER traditional leaders to stand up and sit down?

Because the British came here with guns?

How can a people be so fcking stupid and hopeless mentally?

How can you allow foreigners to come in and use a GUN to destroy your age old traditions?

Demented, stupid people.

Tufia.

The generation of Africans born around 1930's to 1940's were born when African traditional institutions gave way to European domination, so they grew up as the first generation of Africans not witnessing what it really means to be an African speaking an African language ONLY, believing in an African god ONLY, passing through an African educational system ONLY, living in a country called by an African name ONLY, being ruled by an African king ONLY, etc.
That's why no matter their social status today, they still think like semi-slaves. It doesn't matter who the person is. They're part of our problem in the African continent as they don't believe we can ever get things right without the collaboration of white people.

The good news is that their generation is now all dead or dying. Once they all die, a new generation of Africans leaders would replace them and we may see some greater independence or at least something better than we have today, in fact, the shift is happening as I speak, though we don't know it. But the coup d'etat going on in francophone African countries is all part of it. Something even bigger than that is coming to sweep all over the African continent.
Remember this is a taboo and not supposed to be said.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by bestplayermaver(m): 5:45pm On Sep 18, 2023
quote author=DamnnNiggarr post=125866391]

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2023/09/18/obasanjo-i-ordered-obas-to-stand-because-they-were-disrespectful/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter[/quote]
If they born am well let him try it for oba of Benin only god knows what would happen to Obasanjo people should be careful you are in government you are have tenure but rulers they are born to rule
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by wolebest: 5:45pm On Sep 18, 2023
rajiedreez:
Will he have instructed Oba of Benin or Emir of Kano to stand up if they were there

If dem no wan stand up to greet the dem go remain for their palace.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by 2016easy2017: 5:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2023/09/18/obasanjo-i-ordered-obas-to-stand-because-they-were-disrespectful/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

This BASTARD LIAR using military tactics to deflate issues. He's trying to use the governor as a shield.
He's a bastard from Onitsha.

He's a liar. He's never been truthful.

He did tha to spite them because they refused him and his Obidient agendas
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by wolebest: 5:57pm On Sep 18, 2023
rajiedreez:
Will he have instructed Oba of Benin or Emir of Kano to stand up if they were there

If dem no wan stand up to greet then dem go remain for their palace.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Deleolu75: 6:40pm On Sep 18, 2023
Wat concerns obi wit this case .. some people are not wise
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Teenaira: 7:43pm On Sep 18, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2023/09/18/obasanjo-i-ordered-obas-to-stand-because-they-were-disrespectful/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Obasanjo does not have respect for any Yoruba, whether Oba or an individual. One thing I know is that one day is coming when he will be disgraced by Yoruba youth.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by maasoap(m): 8:05pm On Sep 18, 2023
Kingcalls:
He is an ex 2 time president ... they were meant to stand up when he got to the podium ...that's courtesy

Still, he's not an Oba. Obas are fathers to political office holders, gov wouldn't mind if they don't stand up to greet him because he didn't expect them to. Obj was just being petty and self serving, eye service at best
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by maasoap(m): 8:10pm On Sep 18, 2023
Tntsi:
President obasanjo did nothing wrong.
I do not know of any top personality living or dead that respects traditional lnstitution like president obasanjo does, despite his age and personality.

The truth is that with the exception of very few kings and obas, the traditional stool has been bastardized by the so called rulers.

Many so called rulers are miscreants and touts.
Imagine the miscreant oba in lekki lagos who brought out "oro" in broad day light during election, in the name of stopping people from voting LP.
Many others were disgracing themselves here and there for tinubu.

Oba of Lagos who is usually threatening people here and there during election was only silent and humble this time around because of the Nebuchadnezzar treatment given to him the other time.

The oba of Benin is one of the few who shows how kings should rule.
There is one first class Oba in ekiti state I can't remember his name. He is also a shining light.
There are few others here and there.

As a king, you are father to all. You are not a political party coordinator. You reduce yourself to a joke when you go political.

If what Obasanjo did is what you termed respect for traditional rulers, I don't think you understand what respect is at all. All he wanted to achieve was to set the gov against the traditional rulers.

So, traditional rulers should stay from governance or state functions? Did report say that they were at the campaign ground? Some people just like typing nonsense
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Bringbackmandat: 8:45pm On Sep 18, 2023
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

baba Obj, Na lie you dey lie🤥

We know say you're trying very hard to shield Obi's image from public dragging.
We know say na Peter Obi manipulated you into disrespecting Yoruba monarchs.

Oya! let's come together and blame Peter Obi

Haba!
is it that these my able bodied guys don't identify sarcasm when they see one or what?
Broses, na sarcasm jare.

Let's blame Peter Obi according to one lunatic like that, that calls himself FFK.
gerrout.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Bringbackmandat: 8:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
Why did they go to the event if they cannot respect the governor. The same governor that is paying you salaries and appointed you is the one you want to disrespect? It can't happen when an elder like obj is there.
Weldon obj.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by ALARAPE22(m): 9:38pm On Sep 18, 2023
But if it is one pastor that said Obas should stand up during Church program or Church event that one is not disrespectful abiii. I dont want to mention name but if the so called pastor want to enter podium to preach, all obas in that garden will stand up oooo. I dont understand why we Nigerians are like this. The message is clear, no president can told Oba (King) to stand up in his palace that is the culture. but so far you are in government event, you respect the governor with due respect, that is the constitution. Respect is reciprocal. The so called Obasanjo will go to any obas palace and prostrate no matter how the Oba small to him with is age and his position in this present Nigeria even in African as a whole. And that person is in event with the governor and the so called Oba did not want to give him his due respect, he supposed gun them down with speech nii.....Baba Obasanjo did not get any blame at all. Do what you need to do to avoid story that touch.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by mywells: 9:49pm On Sep 18, 2023
Lol you'revery funny oba akiolu was treated nebuchadneza way.
Tntsi:
President obasanjo did nothing wrong.
I do not know of any top personality living or dead that respects traditional lnstitution like president obasanjo does, despite his age and personality.

The truth is that with the exception of very few kings and obas, the traditional stool has been bastardized by the so called rulers.

Many so called rulers are miscreants and touts.
Imagine the miscreant oba in lekki lagos who brought out "oro" in broad day light during election, in the name of stopping people from voting LP.
Many others were disgracing themselves here and there for tinubu.

Oba of Lagos who is usually threatening people here and there during election was only silent and humble this time around because of the Nebuchadnezzar treatment given to him the other time.

The oba of Benin is one of the few who shows how kings should rule.
There is one first class Oba in ekiti state I can't remember his name. He is also a shining light.
There are few others here and there.

As a king, you are father to all. You are not a political party coordinator. You reduce yourself to a joke when you go political.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Equity15(m): 9:52pm On Sep 18, 2023
NzogbuNzogbu:
lol, he wan die

Even if he is drunk to say it, na the gov he is doing it for go carry microphone wash his hand from the matter
oga nothing will happen. Emir of kano that a govenor removed like a baby. Govenors have more powers than traditional rulers.
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 8:05am On Sep 19, 2023
Thank you; you are right, aroba ni baba itan.
vannessa7:

God bless you, as I read the comments from first page I was looking for someone with this line of thought but unfortunately common sense is not common.
The obas represent the people more than any governor and the people feel more emotionally attached to their kings than their governor anywhere, also the governor's tenure is four years after which he start lobbying for votes again and even if he succeeds he then spend another 4years whereas the obas position is for life, as a governor if you disrespect a king his people might feel offended and not vote you in any election again unless you don't have a political career anymore. The obas can also move his people to support and vote a political candidate or go against him. That governor had better find a way to make amends with the king's or else this incident will wait for him in the future.
As for Obasanjo he is just a sore loser, he is bitter against Yorubas right now for voting Tinubu. Grapevine has it that Obasanjos father is an igbo man and if true he is aware of that fact thus his love hate relationship with Yoruba. In his bid to revenge he has nothing to lose but he is about to sacrifice the political career of the governor and his offspring because Yorubas don't forget.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Went Wrong With Fashola? / 2023: Pastor Tunde Bakare Reveals Where Buhari’s Successor Should Come From / Jega: Prediction On Nigeria’s Breakup May Be Fulfilled (Punch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.