Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? (212 Views)

Between Yorubas And Hausas-fulanis, Who Are The Dirtiest People In Nigeria? / Was The US Army Handbook Right About Yorubas, Igbos, And Hausas In 1964? / We Are More Than Just Egyptians, Moors, Igbos, Hausas And Yorubas. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? by LexNuel(m): 9:30pm On Sep 19, 2023
Am I the only one that have not seen an hausa person listening to the general pop or afro music? Not to talk of other genres like jazz or Rock. They seem to prefer songs in their language that make use of their traditional instruments. I don't even know whether there is a recognised name for that music genre.

Both the formally educated and informally educated have a patriotic love for their traditional songs.

Is it just me that havent seen one or are there actual hausa people who vibe to the likes of wizkid and the likes?

PS: This is not a shade on hausa people. It's just an honest observation.
Re: Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? by dawnomike(m): 9:51pm On Sep 19, 2023
LexNuel:
Am I the only one that have not seen an hausa person listening to the general pop or afro music? Not to talk of other genres like jazz or Rock. They seem to prefer songs in their language that make use of their traditional instruments. I don't even know whether there is a recognised name for that music genre.

Both the formally educated and informally educated have a patriotic love for their traditional songs.

Is it just me that havent seen one or are there actual hausa people who vibe to the likes of wizkid and the likes?

PS: This is not a shade on hausa people. It's just an honest observation.
They do listen to it but sometimes, you just wonder if they are listen to it the other way round.
Re: Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? by Probz(m): 10:36pm On Sep 19, 2023
Your observations are crap.
Re: Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? by illicit(m): 10:53pm On Sep 19, 2023
Who are the Hausa people sef

Almost every northerner speaks Hausa
Re: Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? by Probz(m): 10:56pm On Sep 19, 2023
illicit:
Who are the Hausa people sef

Almost every northerner speaks Hausa

They do. Maybe not as their native first language but you can’t really tell the difference between a Hausa and other northerner any more than with Ibibio and Anaang now (because let’s be real). The Fulanis what are lumped in with Hausas are the ones with the clearest distinctions to them (not many actual Hausas are that light-skinned for one thing).

1 Like

Re: Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? by illicit(m): 11:02pm On Sep 19, 2023
Probz:

They do. Maybe not as their native first language but you can’t really tell the difference between a Hausa and other northerner any more than with Ibibio and Anaang now (because let’s be real). The Fulanis what are lumped in with Hausas are the ones with the clearest distinctions to them (not many actual Hausas are that light-skinned for one thing).

There are so many tribes in the north.
Almost all them speaks Hausa

Who is the real Hausa

I have never met a real Hausa
Re: Do Hausas Listen To Contemporary Pop Songs? by Probz(m): 4:22am On Sep 20, 2023
illicit:

There are so many tribes in the north.
Almost all them speaks Hausa

Who is the real Hausa

I have never met a real Hausa

It sure-is weird when people you grew up with and were led to believe were Hausa end up being Berom or something like that after all. Hausas are often stated as the biggest ethnic group in Nigeria (not that Igbo and Yoruba aren’t actually more) but it’s often a conglomeration of Hausas and Fulanis. And Kanuri + other northern tribes that no-one splits hairs about. You never know who’s really who exactly when it comes to ndi Hausa.

I am actually lucky to know some absolutely lovely Hausas, to be fair. But (just as it should be anyway) the tribe’s totally secondary to them as people and their loveliness. I don’t look at them and see Hausa but I know that’s what they actually are tribally.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fear. A Feeling Part 3 / Trade Nigeria / Don't Expect Gifts From Your Wedding Guests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.