Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,169 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill (7433 Views)

Ozekhome Counters Malami, Says NASS Has Constitutional Powers To Summon Buhari / Abaribe Says NASS Might Have To Takeover Government Economic Policy Direction / APC Style Of Fighting Corruption And Poverty Attracted Me - Akpabio Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Morbeta11(m): 5:31am On Sep 20, 2023
‘There’re existing laws’ — Akpabio says 10th NASS will not review social media bill

Senate President Godswill Akpabio says the 10th national assembly will not review the social media regulation bill.

Akpabio, who was represented by Shuaib Salisu, chairman of senate committee on ICT, spoke on Tuesday during the opening of the parliamentarian symposium at the 12th African Internet Governance Forum (AfIGF2023), expressed doubt on the possibility of a new bill regulating the social media.

The theme of the three-day forum taking place in Abuja is “Transforming Africa’s digital landscape: empowering inclusion, security, and innovation”.

[b]“I am not sure that there is going to be a specific bill on social media regulation. However, there are emailing laws in various areas, social media is just one space,” he said.

:So, rather than having a specific legislation on social media. I will rather say social media is just one platform. The same way people have used regular media platform, to commit libel.”
[/b]
The senate president said the symposium is historic and marked a pivotal moment in Africa’s efforts to bridge the digital divide.

“The theme of the forum is instructive. It is a reflection of the deepest yearnings of all Africans for a concerted effort to keep in step with the rest of the world in the ICT reigns,” he said.

“We now live in a digital world and the significance of the internet and digital policy in shaping the future of our nations and the African continent at large is not lost on us.

“The global internet governance forum provides stakeholders from diverse backgrounds with a unique platform to come together, exchange ideas and encourage collaborations that will contribute to realizing the theme, the internet we want and empowering all.”

Speaking with journalists at the event, Samuel George, a member of the Ghanian parliament and the secretary-general of the African parliamentary network on internet governance, said with social media now being a major source of information for many, efforts must be made to create safe spaces on the internet for users.

“About five years ago, it was realized that there was a need for stakeholders and tech players to have direct conversations with members of parliament because when you’re talking about issues of internet governance, you’re talking about legislation, creating safe spaces on the internet and making sure governments have the right framework for internet governance,” he said.

“Most people get their information now from social media and traditional media is now trying to catch up.

“We need to ensure there are safe spaces on the internet for the citizens. Issues of internet governance, internet shutdowns, internet manipulation by the government and data laws need to be examined.

“We believe governments in Africa are doing well in terms of internet governance and digitalisation, but this doesn’t mean there isn’t more to be done. A lot more resources need to be put into it.”
https://www.thecable.ng/therere-existing-laws-akpabio-says-10th-nass-will-not-review-social-media-bill/amp

1 Like

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by wittywriter: 5:37am On Sep 20, 2023
OFF YOUR MIC Catalyst!
The new sherrif in senate.

Wittyness.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by TemplarLandry: 5:38am On Sep 20, 2023
cool
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by MrsTwrite(f): 5:56am On Sep 20, 2023
These people should receive sense.

4 Likes

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by MrsTwrite(f): 5:56am On Sep 20, 2023
These people should receive sense. What is all these internet talk
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Helpfromabove1(m): 6:10am On Sep 20, 2023
Or are you saying the reverse indirectly, because to you personally social media as been your biggest obstacle and a treat

Social media as always increase the volume on your secret and blunders

Off the mic
Holiday prayers to the senators mail box
Let the poor breathe

Anyway thank you for telling us in time we are ready for you when the time comes

6 Likes

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by happney65: 6:13am On Sep 20, 2023
Stop playing. When the Tinubu administration sends it to you to pass don't pass it.

We shall see

4 Likes

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Chinjo2: 6:55am On Sep 20, 2023
Make thunder fire you there. You think you can shut the masses up.

7 Likes

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Varunpulyani: 8:42am On Sep 20, 2023
Okay.

The audio investors Bola A Thubv signed in India o come invest 50000000 quatazillion dollars are seeing this news

2 Likes

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Whitecoal711: 8:43am On Sep 20, 2023
Leave the bill
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Okpokpo09: 8:45am On Sep 20, 2023
Only an Igbo man can fixe this country. Every other tribe has tried and failed. Nigeria is bleeding under this current administration because from head to toe of the governing body are criminals

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by shielaAhmed: 8:51am On Sep 20, 2023
Ok
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by cjudy(m): 8:52am On Sep 20, 2023
cheesy
Social media is a scam.

I have a question to ask. Why is it that Mannabbq guy will insult and post rubbish on Nairaland and the admin won’t ban him, if you try to quote him for admin, his name won’t show rather it will show post 123 or so and she will use her NLpolice account to report you to admin for insulting him back. Nairaland is bias and I’m saying it loud and clear. I was ban by admin because I insulted the BBQ guy. Yes I insulted him with my clear chest and if I meet him or her anytime life, I will teach him or her a lesson he won’t forget soon. He insulted a whole tribe and people and you can’t quote him or report him. Once you reply him, he will use NLpolice account to report you back to admin. seun is this partial or what?
Let’s air our view. If you don’t want a certain tribe to be in your platform Seun osewa just make it known that using the back door.
Thank you

7 Likes

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by NinjaMetahuman: 8:53am On Sep 20, 2023
There is no need for social.media bill.

You are currently totally not anonymous. If you say shit, Dss will come knocking down your door.

Like the stupid girl that accused eniola badmus of nonsense.
Or like the reportera guy.
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Jennieee4(f): 8:58am On Sep 20, 2023
Hmm
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Wealthoptulent(m): 9:13am On Sep 20, 2023
Nass!
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by THMT: 9:22am On Sep 20, 2023
There was a country.... The world has gone digital ( Advanced technologically) but we are still on this

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by slimfit1(m): 9:36am On Sep 20, 2023
NinjaMetahuman:
There is no need for social.media bill.

You are currently totally not anonymous. If you say shit, Dss will come knocking down your door.

Like the stupid girl that accused eniola badmus of nonsense.
Or like the reportera guy.

DSS should try to find who is killing us in Kaduna

1 Like

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by israelmao(m): 9:39am On Sep 20, 2023
cjudy:
cheesy
Social media is a scam.

I have a question to ask. Why is it that Mannabbq guy will insult and post rubbish on Nairaland and the admin won’t ban him, if you try to quote him for admin, his name won’t show rather it will show post 123 or so and she will use her NLpolice account to report you to admin for insulting him back. Nairaland is bias and I’m saying it loud and clear. I was ban by admin because I insulted the BBQ guy. Yes I insulted him with my clear chest and if I meet him or her anytime life, I will teach him or her a lesson he won’t forget soon. He insulted a whole tribe and people and you can’t quote him or report him. Once you reply him, he will use NLpolice account to report you back to admin. seun is this partial or what?
Let’s air our view. If you don’t want a certain tribe to be in your platform Seun osewa just make it known that using the back door.
Thank you
I notice that too,that guy/lady seems to be a sacred and special breed to the custodian of Nairaland,he/she operates other account(s) on the platform and he/she rarely insults or replies you directly.

3 Likes

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by Basic123: 9:41am On Sep 20, 2023
Okpokpo09:
Only an Igbo man can fixe this country. Every other tribe has tried and failed. Nigeria is bleeding under this current administration because from head to toe of the governing body are criminals
Leadership failure started with ojukwu,kaduna Nzogwu, Nnamdi Azikwe and Ironsi.
They started coup,put an end to our federalism,started nepotism,started civil war and corruption

14 Likes

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by cjudy(m): 9:41am On Sep 20, 2023
israelmao:

I notice that too,that guy/lady seems to be a sacred and special breed to the custodian of Nairaland,he/she operates other account(s) on the platform and he/she rarely insults or replies you directly.
He replies using the moniker NLpolice account. And yet the admin in this forum are bias

1 Like

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by iampeterben(m): 9:46am On Sep 20, 2023
Good one allow our social media laws remain in peace without interference.
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by PoliteActivist: 9:48am On Sep 20, 2023
Apkabio didn't say anything!
Shuaib Salisu did!
Fraudulent press!
Stop deceptive reporting!
Only in Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by easyfem(m): 10:11am On Sep 20, 2023
Naira is losing value, Patrol is increasing and u guys cant find solution into it ?
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by tiswell(m): 10:38am On Sep 20, 2023
The uncommon transformer!

Anang mma!!!
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by AishaDant(f): 10:40am On Sep 20, 2023
With all the issues and problems Nigerians are facing, social media is their immediate concern? It is a finished country. sad
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by AishaDant(f): 10:41am On Sep 20, 2023
easyfem:
Naira is losing value, Patrol is increasing and u guys cant find solution into it ?

No! Social media is a more pressing issue. The country has gone beyond shithole status. SMH
Re: ‘There’re Existing Laws’ — Akpabio Says NASS Will Not Review Social Media Bill by saintnegroid(m): 10:54am On Sep 20, 2023
Chinjo2:
Make thunder fire you there. You think you can shut the masses up.
did you even read at all?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sanusi Marks 51st Independence In Church / 4 Shocking Findings About Buhari: / Bye-election; Live Monitoring And Updates (cross River, Kwara, Bauchi & Katsina)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.