Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,302 members, 7,829,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination (28057 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Share Funny Incidents Of Culture Shock. / Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / "Nigeria Nurses Working Abroad, Share your experience" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by falopey: 5:49pm On Sep 21, 2023
TheCongo2:

Okay, can you give me the data.
What is the percentage of the liberal supporters that work for the Canadian Human Rights commission ?
I need facts and not opinion.

Tell me, what do you think will happen to any government institutions or Canadian Human Rights employees that openly speaks out against BLM or lgbtq by saying there are only two genders. The speaker will be fired and cancelled. That’s only the fact you need that explains it all
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:50pm On Sep 21, 2023
Rossikk:

TYPICAL NIGERIAN DUNCE WITH NO BRAIN.

‘’THE TRIBALISM IN NIGERIA IS WORSE THAN THE RACISM IN AMERICA.”

“EVEN ME I HAVE BECOME TRIBALISTIC”.

Ignorant peabrain confessing to be PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Go to any government office in Lagos and you will see how non-Yoruba speakers are discriminated against.
Go to Abuja and you see how Fulanis discriminate against Nigerians

Who is the dunce now?
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by TheCongo2: 5:50pm On Sep 21, 2023
falopey:

Tell me, what do you think will happen to any government institutions or Canadian Human Rights employees that openly speaks out against BLM or lgbtq by saying there are only two genders. The speaker will be fired and cancelled. That’s only the fact you need that explains it all

So, your point is, there is no racism in Canada. Right ?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by IjeBos(m): 5:50pm On Sep 21, 2023
falopey:

There’s no element of racism in everything you highlighted. Just police doing their job probably responding to an emergency call. Were you not let go after you complied and not trying to play the fool like how a lot of Americans do? Were you not allowed to leave after you were properly identified? So police can’t do their job again? That’s not racism

You're wrong, to pull you over or detain you the police have to have a "reasonable suspicion". Is carrying a book bag a reasonable suspicion?
I think that is what is dangerous in what you are saying. Most of my black friends have similar stories, none of my white friends do. Now, in all those situations, I got out alive. What would have happened if I had made the wrong move, or stood up for my rights. When black people have statistical more of these encounters there is a greater probability of bad things happening.

Edit: I get it, you have a misunderstanding about the law. In the US we have a right per the Fourth Amendment against unreasonable searches and seizures. This isn't Nigeria. They just can't stop me to identify me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by ayandee: 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2023
TheCongo2:

Finally someone who understands how racism in Canada work.
10000000000 likes
Yeah. I have worked with them and built social relations with them outside of work. Even the nicest of them have that bias. I understand it and don't take it personally.

I love them and enjoy having their perspectives and feeling their pulse on various issues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Rossikk(m): 5:51pm On Sep 21, 2023
ayandee:
I will share a bit of what i have discovered in my short stay here in Canada. Whites are very accepting of you as a black provided you stay within certain defined limits that exists in their subconscious minds. They are very ok with you working as a clerk, an entry-level officer in a bank or in a government agency or working as a support or care giver. They start rolling their eyes when you start breaking borders and moving into more traditional, professional roles which they consider their enclaves e.g being a lawyer or getting into management. You need to wear a thick skin at that level.

With black medical doctors and nurses though, they really don't have a choice. Same goes with IT. There's a shortage of professionals in those fields. I call them the "colour blind" professions.

With time, determination, a positive outlook, and having the right qualifications and skills, I find it's easier to break through those racial barriers than the nepotism and tribalism that exist in Nigeria.

OH PLEASE SHUT UP.

What nepotism and tribalism In Nigeria stops you from professional success?

In Nigeria the problem is lack of jobs, NOT on the job discrimination based on ethnicity or a refusal by employers to hire people based on their ethnicity.

In America and the UK, there are literally MILLIONS of Africans and Asians who work jobs below their qualifications. Thousands of Nigerian graduates in America work as taxi drivers, including PhD holders. ALL BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACKS AND HAVE AN AFRICAN ACCENT.

Even the Afro Americans suffer extreme disparities in education funding, with schools in black neighbourhoods getting low funding compared to schools in white neighbourhoods, and there is serious employment discrimination based on race for which numerous studies have been made, so it is NOT open to debate.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by wolverine78: 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2023
Fck your stupid myopic mindset. I've lived in the US about 20 years. I live in a predominantly white neighborhood. My white neighbors are the best. When I lived in a Black neighborhood, my Black neighbor will come borrow everything and never return it. I'd rather Bleep with a White Person than a Black person. You live in Nigeria where there is no racism, how is that working for you. Keep believing that rasicm is what is holding you back like most dumb ass "African-Americans" (I don't even know why they call themselves African-Americans and they are not even from Africa. Me being from Africa I'd rather be referred to as an AMERICAN)

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by sonnie10: 5:53pm On Sep 21, 2023
planetx:
Stiff upper lip, common with the British. It means nothing and it's very superficial. More like a cultural thing not that they like you.
I thought as much!
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Professor822714: 5:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
You didnt pick the subtle nuanced behaviorslol
akube34:
been heqre four years. Never experienced such

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:54pm On Sep 21, 2023
SeaTrade:
This happened in Germany,
So this white fucking toilet cleaner in Frankfurt airport was cleaning the toilet after every user that was on the queue(travellers will know how airport toilets have so much traffic),
Got to my turn,she didn't clean after the guy before me so that I'll use a dirty toilet(afterall I'm African),
I went in ,emptied all I had in my guts since i just finished smoking and didn't flush so that she'll come and clean the real deal after me lol.
As I dey commot,see person carry mop the pursue me lol,I ignore am waka go my way.
Make she go wash my big black shit,Idiot.
Very good 😂🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by GambaOsaka: 5:55pm On Sep 21, 2023
Personally I’ve not experienced people saying it to my face here in the US , but I know it exist. People would want to stoop down on you especially when you are new in a place ; workplace for example. It gets worse if you have an accent like me. The way out is for you to know and do your job well to the point that they know your value. You’ll be surprised that they’ll all begin to move closer and push back on all the things that seem like racism.
Just know your job well and don’t give a shit about what the murmuring. Always stand your ground.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 21, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:
💯💯💯💯💯💯
Mad ooo....
Hahahaha 🤣🤣🤣

Savage!

See Obiano walking his dog comfortably in the US without an iota of shame.
Why couldn't he build a covered drainage in Anambara during his 8year rule so others could walk their dogs or kids ride their bikes.

Why allow IPOB and UGM to become a monster under his watch so much that others cannot walk their dogs safely on the street. That is one example of a black man with black mentality.

35years ago, the Chinese were heavily racially profiled but see what they have managed to acheived within a short span of time.

Out of every 5 blacks on the earth, 1 is a Nigerian. That is the ratio of Nigeria to the black world population. If Nigeria could get her shits together, respects for blacks would skyrocket worldwide and racism will reduce.

The energy we put into religion and tribalism, we could use same energy to develop Nigeria and elect credible leaders.

I nor dey join any yeye BLM protests.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by oakenfold: 5:56pm On Sep 21, 2023
Skyview01:

As much as I despise racism, some of the rednecks may have a little justification for racism and if I may play the devil's advocate for a bit. Their country is developed, they've managed to build a working system through sheer hard work over the years and some of them have never had contact with blacks before. Also, there are some places where blacks are always in the news for the wrong reason all the time.

What exactly is the reason behind tribalism? All the tribes in Nigeria are equally backward with very little to show the last time I checked and we are the same fvucking black skin.

Why exactly does one backward tribe think they are better than the other backward tribe? it's the same shit in different toilets.

I apologize for my frankness.

The strength of the USA today did not come on the back of "rednecks". Have you been to the average redneck town today? Are you so ignorant of US history. Spewing bigoted racism apologia here, calling it frankness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Rossikk(m): 5:56pm On Sep 21, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Go to any government office in Lagos and you will see how non-Yoruba speakers are discriminated against.
Go to Abuja and you see how Fulanis discriminate against Nigerians

Who is the dunce now?

Abeg go and sit down!

The same LAGOS I grew up in as an Igbo?

Unless now they can’t stand you Igbos since you have turned NASTY against the entire country.

Which Fulani discriminated against you in Abuja, you LIAR?

How many Fulanis are even in Abuja?

LIar. Abeg commot for my face.

The ONLY people causing problems in this country are bandits in the north and IPOB Igbo territorists in the East.

Once we are rid of those two nasty elements, we will be fine.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by TheCongo2: 5:57pm On Sep 21, 2023
ayandee:

Yeah. I have worked with them and built social relations with them outside of work. Even the nicest of them have that bias. I understand it and don't take it personally.

I love them and enjoy having their perspectives and feeling their pulse on various issues.

You wrote something very powerful that the majority of people are missing:
Whites are very accepting of you as a black provided you stay within certain defined limits that exists in their subconscious minds.

Black people who claim they had never experienced racism is because those Black folks are standing where the white people want them to stand.
From my experience, as a black person you can't live in the west and never been discriminated against. It is close to impossible.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by falopey: 5:57pm On Sep 21, 2023
TheCongo2:

So, your point is, there is no racism in Canada. Right ?
There is. My point is, black people’s mind have been reconditioned to see everything as racist when 99% of the time it’s not. Leftists capitalize on that to manipulate black people for votes

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 21, 2023
oakenfold:

The strength of the USA today did not come on the back of "rednecks". Have you been to the average redneck town today? Are you so ignorant of US history. Spewing bigoted racism apologia here, calling it frankness.

My appologies for not being being specific?

The topic was about Nigerians living abroad. I have never been into the US except for occasional stopovers and inbetween flights.

I was responding in the context of "abroad generally" and not the US experience specifically viz a viz the Nigerian victimhood mentality.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by achimendy(m): 6:03pm On Sep 21, 2023
CandidAdmin:
Nigerian based abroad, please share your experience with racist or when you are being discriminated because of your color.

Note: This is not an Anti Japa thread.

I've not travelled b4, so I don't have any experience.

But still has plans for it though.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by ayandee: 6:04pm On Sep 21, 2023
Rossikk:

OH PLEASE SHUT UP.

What nepotism and tribalism In Nigeria stops you from professional success?

In Nigeria the problem is lack of jobs, NOT on the job discrimination based on ethnicity or a refusal by employers to hire people based on their ethnicity.

In America and the UK, there are literally MILLIONS of Africans and Asians who work jobs below their qualifications. Thousands of Nigerian graduates in America work as taxi drivers, including PhD holders. ALL BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACKS AND HAVE AN AFRICAN ACCENT.

Even the Afro Americans suffer extreme disparities in education funding, with schools in black neighbourhoods getting low funding compared to schools in white neighbourhoods, and there is serious employment discrimination based on race for which numerous studies have been made, so it is NOT open to debate.

Try applying to top-tier government agencies in Nigeria. I am talking CBN, NIMASA, NNPC and the likes. Prepare a good CV and meet the statement of merit criteria. Attend all the interviews. At some point, you will need a god-father of some sort to make things happen. Many can relate.

In Canada, as a legal migrant (emphasis on the word "legal"wink, you can get jobs in these kind of government organizations based on merit. If you meet both basic and asset qualifications for the job, your chances are high.

I don't know about the UK or other countries.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by plaetton: 6:07pm On Sep 21, 2023
CandidAdmin:
Nigerian based abroad, please share your experience with racist or when you are being discriminated because of your color.

Note: This is not an Anti Japa thread.

I
face more discrimination in Nigeria than I have ever faced anywhere abroad.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by ayandee: 6:08pm On Sep 21, 2023
TheCongo2:

You wrote something very powerful that the majority of people are missing:
Whites are very accepting of you as a black provided you stay within certain defined limits that exists in their subconscious minds.

Black people who claim they had never experience racism is because those Black folks are standing where the white people want them to stand.
From my experience, as a black person you can't live in the west and never been discriminated against. It is close to impossible.

You get my point. Thank you.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Rossikk(m): 6:12pm On Sep 21, 2023
falopey:
There is. My point is, black people’s mind have been reconditioned to see everything as racist when 99% of the time it’s not. Leftists capitalize on that to manipulate black people for votes

You are BRAINLESS AND DUMB.

It’s not hard at all to go online and locate ACADEMIC STUDIES which EASILY PROVE RACIAL DISCRIMINATION in Canada and the US.

So it’s not something you ARGUE it doesn’t exist or is only 1%.

This is why Afro Americans can’t stand you people.

You are proper Coons, Coconuts and House negroes, as they term SELLOUTS.

During slavery there was the field negro and the house negro.

The field negros did the hard work of picking cotton in the fields, while the house negro lived in the ‘massa’s house’ and was more comfortable working as a servant in the house.

When the field negroes plotted to ambush the ‘massa’ or escape, the house negro, if alerted, would inform the white ‘massa’ of their plans, and wreck the program.

A full 95% of Nigerians like you are HOUSE NEGROES.

You are disgusting.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by TheCongo2: 6:13pm On Sep 21, 2023
falopey:

So! your conclusion is that there is no racism in Canada.
Have you lived in Canada?

People are talking about their personal experience with racism and you are here talking about vote and politic.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by TheCongo2: 6:14pm On Sep 21, 2023
Rossikk:

It’s not hard at all to go online and locate ACADEMIC STUDIES which EASILY PROVE RACIAL DISCRIMINATION in Canada and the US.

You are proper Coconuts and House negroes, as they term SELLOUTS.

The field negros did the hard work of picking cotton in the fields, while the house negro lived in the ‘massa’s house’ and was more comfortable working as a servant in the house.

When the field negroes plotted to ambush the ‘massa’ or escape, the house negro, if alerted, would inform the white ‘massa’ of their plans, and wreck the program.

A full 95% of Nigerians like you are HOUSE NEGROS.

You are disgusting.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Be very careful, you are talking to a flight trainee learning on the job working as a flight instructor grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Highlife217: 6:14pm On Sep 21, 2023
Tribalism in Nigeria is much worse than the racism the diaspora may receive. Especially if you’re Igbo, you don’t have that tribalism working against you in other countries. To them you are just black/African.
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Codes151(m): 6:18pm On Sep 21, 2023
CandidAdmin:

Like I said, this is not an anti japa thread.
I just love reading people's experience with things. That all.
you are a demon.. u just sit and reason a stupid thing to bring into social media... no go find work... jobless Mofo
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by oakenfold: 6:20pm On Sep 21, 2023
Rossikk:

You are proper Coconuts and House negroes, as they term SELLOUTS.

A full 95% of Nigerians are HOUSE NEGROS.

You are disgusting.

These idiots come to the USA, stand on the achievements from centuries of the struggles, blood and lives of Afro-Americans, then side with white racists. Spewing white racist talking-points with no shame, even as they try to roll back progress.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by motymop: 6:21pm On Sep 21, 2023
ayandee:

Try applying to top-tier government agencies in Nigeria. I am talking CBN, NIMASA, NNPC and the likes. Prepare a good CV and meet the statement of merit criteria. Attend all the interviews. At some point, you will need a god-father of some sort to make things happen. Many can relate.

In Canada, as a legal migrant (emphasis on the word "legal"wink, you can get jobs in these kind of government organizations based on merit. If you meet both basic and asset qualifications for the job, your chances are high.

I don't know about the UK or other countries.

lets be realistic, there are also thousands of people applying for the few spaces in CBN,NIMASA,NNPC and co just like you, some are also using God fathers like you, and many also have good qualification like you, what are the chances that you will get the job?

as someone wrote, the problem here in Nigeria is the lack of jobs not really tribalism. too many people are competing for the few jobs we have here in Nigeria, too many people are applying to the same parastatal, only the lucky few get it.

just go to any interview and see the number of people trying to apply for just 1 position advertised by a company.

One thing i know for sure is that, once you get into those organization, you will move up the ladder as long as you are qualified and have pass their promotion exams.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by 360command: 6:23pm On Sep 21, 2023
Racism dey everywhere, I try to avoid it and mind my business. Till the extent ,I do not share office with my colleagues. I go to a corner and do my thing.
They ask, why don't you be with us. I try to make them understand that I am here to work, gather money and build something for myself also avoid disrespect based on my color and nationality. It shocks them when I say it and we tend not to joke in any slight way.

One day, I was leaving and 2 Hispanic guys said, "where is the KKK when you need them". I walked passed them, took a pause and moved. **I think my boss (white) Might have heard but did not hear well.. **

Due of the halt gesture I made and not talked to him(Hispanic boss) and walked away. He knew he messed up and came to apologize. I Went into the car to think about it. Trust me, it does not matter who would have said that to me but if I am in Nigeria, I will fight you.

This Hispanic boss came to apologize but the deed is done. I drove off, he drove away but I felt the racial insult he used. I then saw our main boss( he is white) driving off and then I waved my hands telling him to stop.

I came to him and told him, I have just been racially insulted and it got me deeply. He held me, and told me "who did this to you"? and what he said. I said, the Hispanic boss "Jose", and he said, "where is the kkk when you need them" on my way out. And then I later went further to say, I have been racially abused by others but always ignore it.

My boss said, who else did. I made mention of Two names and what they did by bringing a loop(rope) into the office in my presence.

The next 2 days, the bigger bosses came to the office, called upon those guys who racially insulted me and told them to leave but they needed to apologize first. They all got fired.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Pootle: 6:25pm On Sep 21, 2023
we call our own tribalism
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by Goodman247: 6:26pm On Sep 21, 2023
Nigerians in Nigeria share your experience with tribalism in Nigeria, yeye they smell
Re: Nigerians Abroad. Share Your Experience With Racism And Discrimination by oakenfold: 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2023
Goodman247:
Nigerians in Nigeria share your experience with tribalism in Nigeria, yeye they smell

Start your own topic about that now? What exactly is stopping you? Your low IQ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Helipad: Check Out Its Uses And How It All Started - Photos / 5 Passengers Dead Including A Baby After Danfo Bursts Into Flames In Lagos.PICS / FAAN Gives Guidelines For Passengers Ahead Of Flight Resumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.