Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,039 members, 7,810,849 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? (5372 Views)

Salt And Hot Water As A Vaccine For Ebola? / The Best Drug For Malaria? / A Cure For Malaria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by mukina2: 11:51am On Oct 19, 2011
Malaria Scientist celebrates success after 24 years

(Reuters) - For Joe Cohen, a GlaxoSmithKline research scientist who has spent 24 years trying to create the world's first malaria vaccine, Tuesday, October 18, 2011 goes down as a fabulous day.

"There were many ups and downs, and moments over the years when we thought 'Can we do it? Should we continue? Or is it really just too tough?," he told Reuters, as data showing the success of his RTS,S vaccine were unveiled at an international conference on malaria.

"But today I feel fabulous. This is a dream of any scientist -- to see your life's work actually translated into a medicine , that can have this great impact on peoples' lives. How lucky am I?"

Final stage clinical trial data on RTS,S, also known as Mosquirix, showed it halved the risk of African children getting malaria, making it likely to become the world's first successful vaccine against the deadly disease.

While scientists say it is no "silver bullet" and will not end the mosquito-borne infection on its own, it is being hailed as a crucial weapon in the fight against malaria and one that could speed the path to eventual worldwide eradication.

Malaria is caused by a parasite carried in the saliva of mosquitoes. It kills more than 780,000 people per year, most of them babies or very young children in Africa.

Cohen's vaccine goes to work at the point when the parasite enters the human bloodstream after a mosquito bite. By stimulating an immune response, it can prevent the parasite from maturing and multiplying in the liver.

Without that immune response, the parasite re-enters the bloodstream and infects red blood cells, leading to fever, body aches and, in some cases, death.

Although Cohen's scientific work has been largely in Belgium, where he runs a GSK laboratory, the final-stage trials of RTS,S were conducted in Africa, where malaria hits hardest.

With GSK working in partnership with the non-profit PATH Malaria Vaccine Initiative (MVI), the trials became Africa's largest-ever medical experiment as the vaccine was tested in around 16,000 children across seven countries.

Cohen said that if all goes to plan, RTS,S could be licensed and rolled out by 2015.

SOUL SEARCHING

As he looks back at the vaccine's long, slow development, the bearded 68-year-old molecular biologist laughs at how naive he was when he first agreed to take on the task.

It was April 1, 1987 when his boss at the drug company, then called Smith, Kline & French, asked him to be head of the malaria vaccine research program, just after an early-stage experimental vaccine and failed a test.

"Unfortunately, it was not a great success. Only one volunteer out of the several that were vaccinated was actually protected. So, after quite a bit of optimism, there was then quite a bit of soul searching," Cohen said.

"I did not actually know much about malaria, apart from about the enormous medical burden it represented. But I felt I was taking on an enormous scientific challenge, and that was exciting for a relatively young scientist."

Having come from academia and post-doctorate studies into what he said were "sometimes esoteric questions" of molecular biology, he was also attracted by the prospect of doing something "very meaningful" in terms of global health.

Getting on for a quarter of a century later, Cohen said he had "never dreamed it would take this long."

He was also careful to underline that this was a first step, as well as a world first. GSK, MVI and several other research groups and drug firms are already working on next generation vaccines and on other ways of making malaria shots they hope will better the roughly 50 percent success rate of RTS,S.

"The work is not over, that is for sure," Cohen said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/18/us-malaria-vaccine-scientist-idUSTRE79H59220111018
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by buzugee(m): 11:58am On Oct 19, 2011
hopefully they test it on europeans first. the ones who trvel to tropical countries
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by lafuria1(m): 12:05pm On Oct 19, 2011
na 2day, they shld keep on researching, later u guys will want Africans to come and pay 4 d so called vaccines. i hope this pple are not broke
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 19, 2011
that will be one of the biggest breakthru in science,
apart from the malaria, we need to get the carriers off our planet.

these days, it appear they have swapped their proboscis for a set of teeth
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by Seun(m): 12:13pm On Oct 19, 2011
la furia:
na 2day, they shld keep on researching, later u guys will want Africans to come and pay 4 d so called vaccines. i hope this pple are not broke

It's already been tested on African kids.  50% of them granted immunity to the disease.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by MrCork17: 12:16pm On Oct 19, 2011
Mosquito coil don’t work anymore? undecided
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by yomz1e(m): 12:27pm On Oct 19, 2011
fact is the Anopheles mosquito keeps evolving, the US spent millions on ways to stop this epidemic as its the major sickness that affect their soldiers in countries where the insects are. why blame the mosquito when fresh blood is tastier than local paraga blood, i myself witness this when i visited home recently, the mosquitoes were no interested in other people in the room except for jand blood naw grin as they know when them go chop dis kind blaaaad again? anyways back to the subject. the fact is that once a cure has been found, the disease will develop a resistance to the drugs which means back to square 1.

best way to combat this is adequate irrigation system and destruction of breeding areas of this parasites!!! simples! cool
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by ugotuf(m): 12:40pm On Oct 19, 2011
webdezzi:

that will be one of the biggest breakthru in science,
apart from the malaria, we need to get the carriers off our planet.

these days, it appear they have swapped their proboscis for a set of teeth
hypodermic needles instead.
this is a welcome breakthrough,one of the biggest science has achieved so far. i cant wait to hear 'malaria eradicated'
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by kingsrod: 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2011
Wetin do Agbo and Ota Piapia Vaccine dem, dem no wan promote our own vaccine
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by Princek12(m): 12:56pm On Oct 19, 2011
buzugee:

hopefully they test it on europeans first. the ones who trvel to tropical countries

You sound like you allow your emotion to cloud your reasoning. Why should they first test it on Europeans who vacation in African countries? Does that make sense to you? The group of people who suffer from Malaria the most and who are in need of the vaccine are Africans, and they should be the ones who are tested first. The vacationing Europeans are not the primary victims of Malaria. I recognize your sentiment, but this is not one of those situations where a vaccine that is developed for worldwide use is being tested on Africans first, putting them at risk ahead of Europeans; this vaccine is being developed for areas that are seriously afflicted with the Malaria epidemic, of which Africa is a significant part. Numerous lives have been lost to this disease in Africa. I wholeheartedly welcome this development.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by 2bosun: 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2011
Read the full article.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204346104576639211016347824.html

It's far from a finished product as some of the side effects include meningitis, fever etc. We would also need to talk about what happens if the plasmoduim mutates into another form. I do believe in the next 10 years Malaria will be history if we go by how much research is devoted to it.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by proffmanue(m): 1:18pm On Oct 19, 2011
this is good but such research should be done by those most affected (Africans). abi we no get scientist?
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by buzugee(m): 1:27pm On Oct 19, 2011
Princek12:

You sound like you allow your emotion to cloud your reasoning. Why should they first test it on Europeans who vacation in African countries? Does that make sense to you? The group of people who suffer from Malaria the most and who are in need of the vaccine are Africans, and they should be the ones who are tested first. The vacationing Europeans are not the primary victims of Malaria. I recognize your sentiment, but this is not one of those situations where a vaccine that is developed for worldwide use is being tested on Africans first, putting them at risk ahead of Europeans; this vaccine is being developed for areas that are seriously afflicted with the Malaria epidemic, of which Africa is a significant part. Numerous lives have been lost to this disease in Africa. I wholeheartedly welcome this development.
ahhh the bliss of naivety and ignorance. must be nice to be a virgin to human  intentions. why dont you take your daughter and son and go collect the vaccine now. come tell us in 2 years time how ya kids are faring healthwise, the truth of the matter is that you guys in africa are breeding like rats. the population of the world is getting out of control and you africans keep on breeding like rats. something has to be done about this. either forcibly or trickery. thats the job of the pharmaceutical industry. eugenics. population control.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by yomz1e(m): 2:01pm On Oct 19, 2011
@ buzugee, why dont you start by jumping off third mainland bridge and then we don't have to worry about you and your future generations who would make africa more over populated, jooh o!
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by Princek12(m): 2:33pm On Oct 19, 2011
buzugee:

ahhh the bliss of naivety and ignorance. must be nice to be a virgin to human  intentions. why dont you take your daughter and son and go collect the vaccine now. come tell us in 2 years time how ya kids are faring healthwise, the truth of the matter is that you guys in africa are breeding like rats. the population of the world is getting out of control and you africans keep on breeding like rats. something has to be done about this. either forcibly or trickery. thats the job of the pharmaceutical industry. eugenics. population control.

who is naive and ignorant? Me or you? You are just someone who relishes in cynicism. I am sure you take medicines when you are sick. You probably do not know that all those medicines you take had at one point undergone clinical trials. Someone has to be the guinea pig for new drugs or vaccine, as in that person has to make sacrifices in order to get the drug approved for commercial use. And in this situation, it makes sense that the people who are most afflicted, and who are in dire need of the vaccine, should be the ones in the clinical trials.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by LordReed(m): 2:36pm On Oct 19, 2011
This is an inspiring story of dedication! 1987! Wow!
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by buzugee(m): 2:39pm On Oct 19, 2011
Princek12:

who is naive and ignorant? Me or you? You are just someone who relishes in cynicism. I am sure you take medicines when you are sick. You probably do not know that all those medicines you take had at one point undergone clinical trials. Someone has to be the guinea pig for new drugs or vaccine, as in that person has to make sacrifices in order to get the drug approved for commercial use. And in this situation, it makes sense that the people who are most afflicted, and who are in dire need of the vaccine, should be the ones in the clinical trials.
ok first off i dont use western drugs. lets throw that out there. you may find me dabbling in echinacea, goldenseal, milk thistle, garlic , dandelion and whatnot. as per relishing in cynicism, you have to look at the track record of the person who wants to give you what to put into your  body. are you comfortable with their track record ? well good-luck to you and yours
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by buzugee(m): 2:42pm On Oct 19, 2011
yomz1e:

@ buzugee, why dont you start by jumping off third mainland bridge and then we don't have to worry about you and your future generations who would make africa more over populated,  jooh o!
i cant swim so i would choose to renege on your generous offer. of course i am assuming that third mainland bridge is built over water.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by buzugee(m): 2:48pm On Oct 19, 2011
you have to remember, its your body. its your responsibility to put the right thing in it.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by dinah777: 2:50pm On Oct 19, 2011
No be small kind vaccine,i will never forget the fear of the itching of chlorquine,ThankGod for all these aje butter drugs now,Abeg where can we find the vaccine.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by DExplorer1: 2:59pm On Oct 19, 2011
@ SEUN

The last time pfixer tested their new 'invention' on our kids in kano the outcome wasnt interesting. It's easy to get pass NAFDAC and gain approval of any sort but i had advice they test run it in their country for a while before distribution.

You Need To Read These! After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

21 Reasons He Hasn't Proposed to You Yet

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship

16 Raw but Bitter Truths Ladies Must Know
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 19, 2011
Good news.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by milllitant: 3:16pm On Oct 19, 2011
@MMM
Hmmm, nigerian mosquitos expecially warri mosquitos has developed a new anti vaccine systems.
Mosquito coils and nets are just an infinitesimal to them. grin grin grin
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by metro10: 3:56pm On Oct 19, 2011
I heard it on the news some days ago here in Kenya that they will be using the vaccine nationwide soon. It's well accepted here in kenya. I suggest NAFDAC should quickly do their investigation and if its worth it, launch it nationwide and free as in kenya.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by liksy(f): 4:04pm On Oct 19, 2011
This is Bad news for Mortein Insecticides and their counterparts, No More fleeting the rooms with sheltons[b][/b] cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by Obinoscopy(m): 4:30pm On Oct 19, 2011
Thats good news. I actually knew when the first clinical trial was successful. I've no doubt that the vaccine will be of immense help in bringing about a reduction of neo-natal and child mortality.

My only major concern would be the high cost of the vaccine since it was a pharmaceutical firm that did the research. GSK will have the sole patent right to market the vaccine (mosquitrix) thus they can afford to inflate the price to cover on the cost of R&D incurred during the vaccine development and the cost of future research ventures. I just pray the likes of WHO, global fund, Bill and Melinda Gates can either convince GSK to reduce the cost or buy off the patent from them.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by kemmeye: 4:42pm On Oct 19, 2011
believe me with the amount of mosquitoes that have bitten me and my every 2months malaria that vaccine cannot work because even ordinary medication that i used to take would not work anymore.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by Princek12(m): 4:53pm On Oct 19, 2011
buzugee:

ok first off i dont use western drugs. lets throw that out there. you may find me dabbling in echinacea, goldenseal, milk thistle, garlic , dandelion and whatnot. as per relishing in cynicism, you have to look at the track record of the person who wants to give you what to put into your  body. are you comfortable with their track record ? well good-luck to you and yours

so you have never used western drugs? look me in the eyes and tell me you have never used western drugs? . so if you catch malaria or typhoid or pneumonia or a bacterial infection, you will start drinking milk and garlic and echinachea and blah blah blah? Get outta here, bloody liar.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by paragonpro: 5:18pm On Oct 19, 2011
Personally i doubt if this medicine or vaccine would work in the long run. Mosquitoes and the parasite - Plasmodium Falciparium seem to outsmart everything we can throw at them. Every so often a new drug is discovered and hailed as a final cure for malaria only for the drug to become useless 5 - 10yrs down the line. Name them, Chloroquine, Halfan, artisunate, and lots of others. The parasite adapts to quickly. I feel the best methods are prevention instead of cure.

I wish this new drug and their promoters good luck.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by buzugee(m): 5:29pm On Oct 19, 2011
Princek12:

so you have never used western drugs? look me in the eyes and tell me you have never used western drugs? . so if you catch malaria or typhoid or pneumonia or a bacterial infection, you will start drinking milk and garlic and echinachea and blah blah blah? Get outta here, bloody liar.
grin i have not used western medicine in over 10 years. i use herbs. if i catch all those things you said, i will simply eat raw ginger and garlic and drink concentrated lemon juice. i may even dabble in a session of sauna to sweat out the toxins as i work internally with the herbs. echinacea is always an immune system booster.

1 Like

Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by buzugee(m): 5:31pm On Oct 19, 2011
may i also interest you in apple cider vinegar. it is quite the body tonic. fine tunes your body.
Re: A Vaccine Has Been Found For Malaria? by eros(m): 5:47pm On Oct 19, 2011
Great work to the Scientist. 24 years is such a long time to achieve this great feat. Its time to get paid man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit / How To Get Rid Of That Stubborn Pimples / Pictures Of A Half Head Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.