Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

No More 'How Was Your Night?'! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No More 'How Was Your Night?'! (29278 Views)

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English / Best Answer For How Was Your Night! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Listic1: 10:50am On Apr 02, 2018
There is a growing but troubling trend in Nigeria. When your neighbours see you in the morning, they exchange the normal pleasantries: 'Good morning'. Immediately after that they go forcefully: 'How was your night?'. The (reluctant) response most times is: 'Fine'. But is this correct? Hold it for a second. Is the question even proper in the first place? Let us see.

When people sleep, they practically die. They are unaware of their environment and so, cannot truthfully answer any question relating to that episode. On those occasions when they did not really sleep, do we expect them to relay their activities to their interrogator? How do we expect a married person, for instance, to bare out their nightly activities with their partner to a neighbour? This cannot be right. To put it in very plain terms, it is inappropriate!

Well, how can we go around this faux pas? It is pretty straightforward. Instead of asking: 'How was your night?', we could say: 'I hope you had a good night's rest?' or 'I hope you slept well!' or something along those lines. In that case, the one being asked can truthfully say: 'Yes, thank you'. However, if the respondent's experience was unpalatable, they could, at their discretion, explain why that was so.

As a rule of thumb, in conversing with friends, acquaintances and even strangers it is best to concentrate on or limit oneself only to what is before the parties: the person! There is actually no point asking very personal and private questions. It does not show that one truly cares. As we take these suggestions on board, we introduce decorum into our conversations.

@ODNEsq; Listic1

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by nsiazu: 11:39am On Apr 02, 2018
Very educative...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Fabulous47(m): 1:26pm On Apr 02, 2018
So," how was your night" is wrong? undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by erad(m): 1:33pm On Apr 02, 2018
I feel Nigerians lack a sense of priority.
Imagine the pressing problem to some is the question, "How was your night"?
I guess different strokes for different folks though.
That said, I really see nothing wrong with the question.
While you might decide to be hypersensitive about it, that's strictly your opinion and feeling.
It would have made more sense if you stated not to like it and move on to state your reasons, rather than trying to speak for everyone else.
Personally, I appreciate when my friends ask how my night was especially considering the fact that I suffer from insomnia and don't get to sleep that often.
Someone asking how your night was doesn't warrant you narrating your night's activities to them, it's just their way of caring. Should they feel guilty for caring about you?
If you don't like the question, you tell them and that's that.

All those jargons up there is strictly my opinion.
Thank you.

208 Likes 12 Shares

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by jaymichael(m): 1:41pm On Apr 02, 2018
Listic1 op, Following your logic, saying sunrise and sunset is wrong because technically, the sun neither rises nor set. The earth just rotate and revolve around the sun giving the 'appearances' of sunrise and sunset from the earth.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by samwobi(m): 2:01pm On Apr 02, 2018
jaymichael:
Listic1 op, Following your logic, saying sunrise and sunset is wrong because technically, the sun neither rises nor set. The earth just rotate and revolve around the sun giving the 'appearances' of sunrise and sunset from the earth.
Bless You

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by samwobi(m): 2:05pm On Apr 02, 2018
The reason I Was Expecting You To Present Is Not The One You Gave. I Read Somewhere That When Someone Ask You You 'how Was Your Night?' It Means How S3z Of Last Night Went, On This Basis I Believe It Is Wrong

6 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Jackossky(m): 2:42pm On Apr 02, 2018
samwobi:
The reason I Was Expecting You To Present Is Not The One You Gave. I Read Somewhere That When Someone Ask You You 'how Was Your Night?' It Means How S3z Of Last Night Went, On This Basis I Believe It Is Wrong

So na your own point be that abi

Abeg, someone should help me with the meme

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by samwobi(m): 2:54pm On Apr 02, 2018
Jackossky:

So na your own point be that abi

Abeg, someone should help me with the meme
I said i read somewhere. I don't knw hw true it is. That Is The Origin According To What I Read.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by sirgalahad26(m): 3:26pm On Apr 02, 2018
nice write up and very educative
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by patola02(m): 4:59pm On Apr 02, 2018
nice 1
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by AuntyAmope(m): 5:07pm On Apr 02, 2018
Nonsense! I was actually expecting him to grammatically prove how wrong it is. Not the friday sermon he wrote. undecided

11 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by ObservantFellow: 5:27pm On Apr 02, 2018
If the person slept well.. It means the person was practically "well dead", and therefore cannot give an accurate account of whether the sleep was a good one since he/she didn't witness it undecided

So, just let sleeping dogs lie

5 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by YorubaAssasin: 5:32pm On Apr 02, 2018
CRAP! Just wasted 70 seconds of my life reading this.. undecided undecided

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by ilevic(m): 6:25pm On Apr 02, 2018
I can't even make any sense out of the crap written by the Op.

Now look at this

My neighbor: Good morning Mr Ilevic, How was your night

me: My night wasn't too good

my neighbour: Heyaa sowie. What happened?

me: I couldn't sleep. I battled with mosquitoes all night

My neighbor: That's serious, I think you need to buy XYZ brand of insecticide

me: I Used ABC

my neighbor: Oh that is not effective. Buy XYZ

me: thanks am grateful

Op abeg tell where did u see anything like "how was last night s3x in the above conversation?. Pls don't miseducate us jare.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Nobody: 7:15pm On Apr 02, 2018
nonsense, oversabi is really a big problem

17 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Greene66: 7:22pm On Apr 02, 2018
Nonsense.
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by rosita33(f): 7:51pm On Apr 02, 2018
nice one
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Ay04z(m): 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2018
Too.much book dey cause ejaculations grin

7 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by mikool007(m): 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2018
Dude it is not that deep, just answer the damn question it is not an interrogation

5 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Deckline(m): 9:55pm On Apr 02, 2018
Ay04z:
Too.much book dey cause ejaculations grin
WILL YOU KEEP KWAYET
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by bobydo: 10:07pm On Apr 02, 2018
Listic1:
There is a growing but troubling trend in Nigeria. When your neighbours see you in the morning, they exchange the normal pleasantries: 'Good morning'. Immediately after that they go forcefully: 'How was your night?'. The (reluctant) response most times is: 'Fine'. But is this correct? Hold it for a second. Is the question even proper in the first place? Let us see.

When people sleep, they practically die. They are unaware of their environment and so, cannot truthfully answer any question relating to that episode. On those occasions when they did not really sleep, do we expect them to relay their activities to their interrogator? How do we expect a married person, for instance, to bare out their nightly activities with their partner to a neighbour? This cannot be right. To put it in very plain terms, it is inappropriate!

Well, how can we go around this faux pas? It is pretty straightforward. Instead of asking: 'How was your night?', we could say: 'I hope you had a good night's rest?' or 'I hope you slept well!' or something along those lines. In that case, the one being asked can truthfully say: 'Yes, thank you'. However, if the respondent's experience was unpalatable, they could, at their discretion, explain why that was so.

As a rule of thumb, in conversing with friends, acquaintances and even strangers it is best to concentrate on or limit oneself only to what is before the parties: the person! There is actually no point asking very personal and private questions. It does not show that one truly cares. As we take these suggestions on board, we introduce decorum into our conversations.

@ODNEsq; Listic1

My night is my private life. I can decide to go to the club, vigil, or meeting with my village people in Edo or sex out with my Bae. Rather ask about my evening better
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Dollarship(m): 10:28pm On Apr 02, 2018
Ok cheesy
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by jidxin(m): 12:00am On Apr 03, 2018
Help....... Why am I seeing this as not being educative..... If I asked you how your night was I'm not asking you to give me a detailed review. It's just like asking you "how are you" if I were to go by what the op analysed then I will start explaining. But merely asking about your night is just a gesture of goodwill. I'm not asking for wat transpired BTW couples, if d FCK was awesome den u had a wonderful night. And if u had an undisturbed night a pseudo death then your night was fantastic .....

7 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by millomaniac: 4:11am On Apr 03, 2018
Listic1:

@ODNEsq; Listic1

Oga english teacher you are missing the point.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Engraced2020: 4:21am On Apr 03, 2018
Educative....But have you checked my signature today?
Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by Onyenna(m): 6:06am On Apr 03, 2018
Nonsense!....

I know of a lady who suffers "sleep disorder"..[insomnia or maybe "acute insomnia"]....Most times, she's only able to sleep a little with the help of drugs.... I sometimes ask her how her night was......

2 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by LegendaryArnold(m): 6:22am On Apr 03, 2018
Op, how was your night? undecided

2 Likes

Re: No More 'How Was Your Night?'! by lafuria1(m): 7:39am On Apr 03, 2018
you asuume everyone sleeps well at night abi

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Girl Electrocuted,As Electric Wire Falls on Her At New Hall, UNILAG / Job Boutros Eteng: Missing UNICAL Final Year Student (Photo) / NNPC/CHEVRON JV National University Scholarship Awards 2016 Application Is On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.