Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) (28372 Views)

What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Passionate888: 2:31pm On Sep 25, 2023
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by pongwa(m): 2:35pm On Sep 25, 2023
tolaade1960:
I would like to know the difference between BSc and BSc(Hons).
My thought is when a student graduates without a Failed course throughout his study years , he earns BSc(Hons).
Or what is your opinion?
failed course has nothing to do with it. It depends on the program and the institution awarding it
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by BabaIbo: 2:36pm On Sep 25, 2023
PinkNature:
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.

Hysteresis (Sept 02, 2017).

I don't think this is correct for Nigeria's educational/academical system.

It has to do more with graduating without a failed course or carryover than what you explained there.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Cool83(m): 2:38pm On Sep 25, 2023
Emperor95:
BSC (Hons) means you graduated with honors. usually 3rd class and above. BSC without Hons means you had a pass
Yes, in some institutions

1 Like

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by spencekat(m): 2:39pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:
I really don't think there is any difference in the two.

I graduated after two extra years and what was written in my certificate is Bsc (Hons) Chemical Engineering
And not B. Eng?
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by spencekat(m): 2:40pm On Sep 25, 2023
kapelvej:
Bsc chemical engineering ?
Na waaa. is it not supposed to be B.eng or something like that. Engineering is not science nawwww
May be it was Bsc in the 70's or 80's
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by casualobserver: 2:41pm On Sep 25, 2023
a B.sc is a pass degree (aka let my people go) B.sc(hons) simply means you got 1st class, 2:1, 2:2 or 3rd class.

it simply means your B.sc (hons) is a honourable degreem, while your B.sc is not, it is more or less a certificate of attendance.

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by FunnyDude(m): 2:42pm On Sep 25, 2023
Trash
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by yinkeys(m): 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:

what u don't know pass u.

I graduated from Unilag (no 1 university in Nigeria) if u care to know
Shhhh shocked
It’s Ibadan

You must like organic chemistry, ordinary
differential equation & partial differentiation
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by ChangeHolder(m): 2:44pm On Sep 25, 2023
You get a B.SC degree with Honor if you graduated with first, second or third class. But your degree is without honor if you graduated with Pass degree.

A pass degree is the only class of degree without honor

1 Like

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Earthstorms(m): 2:47pm On Sep 25, 2023
tolaade1960:
My thought is when a student graduates without a Failed course throughout his study years , he earns BSc(Hons).
Or what is your opinion?

According to Agbodo miscreants, if you graduate with Honors means you graduated with 1st class.

They say Tinubu graduated with Honors and they interpreted that to mean that he graduated with 1st class.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by femoree2(m): 2:48pm On Sep 25, 2023
Razgas:
the difference is that Honours is gotten after an extra 1 year research dissertation while bsc is gotten after 3 years of coursework
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Drone95(m): 2:51pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bacherlor of science in psychology
With Second class (Honours) upper division.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by toprealman: 2:54pm On Sep 25, 2023
LLSAINT:
Your school must be a mushroom one (no offence grin)
This is why if you need to do a certificate evaluation abroad, they will score you less even from your transcript
Globally, there is a difference as explained above.......
Stop exposing your ignorance. For him to have typed that, he definitely must be more resourceful than you!
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by wittywriter: 3:00pm On Sep 25, 2023
illicit:
At UNILORIN even if you have 3rd class, it's Hons

You don't get Hons when u have Pass

ChangeHolder:
You get a B.SC degree with Honor if you graduated with first, second or third class. But your degree is without honor if you graduated with Pass degree.

A pass degree is the only class of degree without honor

Wittyness
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by toprealman: 3:02pm On Sep 25, 2023
Even with all the free resources available, we still assume that failing a course will give you BSc and not failing a course will give you BSc (Hons).
Interesting🤣
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by KingRabota: 3:06pm On Sep 25, 2023
Taaaaaaaa mechie onugi dia.

UNN ahead of everything and everyone else.

phemsie:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Elibaba1: 3:08pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:

How is Unilag no1 university in Nigeria oga?
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by deavicky(m): 3:11pm On Sep 25, 2023
socialmediaman:
To graduate with BSc (Hons), you need to spend an extra year or two depending on the field of study. The idea of the extra year(s) is to gain a deeper understanding in the course of study while also developing research skills

(Hons) could also help you get accepted directly to a PhD program if you meet the requirements of the school you’re applying to
without masters degree?.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by socialmediaman: 3:17pm On Sep 25, 2023
deavicky:
without masters degree?.

Yes
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by UtuokeAlcoholic: 3:21pm On Sep 25, 2023
tolaade1960:
Or what is your opinion?
First class, Second class upper and Second class lower are BSc (Hons) while Third class and pass degrees are only BSc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by wman(m): 3:30pm On Sep 25, 2023
LLSAINT:
Your school must be a mushroom one (no offence grin)
This is why if you need to do a certificate evaluation abroad, they will score you less even from your transcript
Globally, there is a difference as explained above.......

OAU does the same too even if you have extra years
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by highbee02: 3:42pm On Sep 25, 2023
Razgas:
the difference is that Honours is gotten after an extra 1 year research dissertation while bsc is gotten after 3 years of coursework

Who told that B.Sc. doesn't require dissertation/project?
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by DevilSignature: 3:42pm On Sep 25, 2023
PinkNature:
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.

Hysteresis (Sept 02, 2017).

Baba stop all these grammar

Bsc Hons simply means the student graduated without a single carryover in his/her courses
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by bisqit: 3:54pm On Sep 25, 2023
Razgas:
I thought bsc is four years
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by bisqit: 3:57pm On Sep 25, 2023
Olachase:
Once am done with this my mechatronis Engineering course, I swear even signboard I no day read again
go and do your masters
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by stanbright(m): 4:02pm On Sep 25, 2023
DevilSignature:

Baba stop all these grammar

Bsc Hons simply means the student graduated without a single carryover in his/her courses
Lie
First class, second class and third class are all Hons while pass is just Bsc
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by phemmyfour: 4:19pm On Sep 25, 2023
tolaade1960:
Or what is your opinion?
The main difference between a normal BSc and a BSc Honours degree is the level of academic achievement and the depth of study.

A normal BSc degree is typically completed over a period of three years and focuses on providing a broad education in a particular subject area, with a mix of theoretical and practical courses.

On the other hand, a BSc Honours degree is usually completed over a period of four years and requires students to complete a more rigorous and specialized program of study, including a research project or dissertation. Honours degrees often have higher entry requirements, and students are expected to achieve a higher standard of academic performance than in a normal BSc program
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by DECLAN2015(m): 4:20pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:

A lot of olodo in that place
Success is in u not in the university you attend

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by NairaMaster1(m): 4:35pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:

I graduated after two extra years and what was written in my certificate is Bsc (Hons) Chemical Engineering

Which school is that? Because an engineering course can't be a BSc but B.Engr.

I am hearing this for the first time.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by perdollar(m): 4:52pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:

I think it means u were honourably discharged

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities / My Son Is Not Interested In His Secondary Education But Taught Himself Coding / HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.