Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,962 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) (28383 Views)

What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by WithFact: 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2023
Make difference by aquiring knowledge. It is better than just get certificate.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Archtype(m): 5:00pm On Sep 25, 2023
Here in Nigeria there is no difference, infact, it actually depends on the university that you graduated from, some university gives BSc and some adds Hons to their own and both of them are still that 4years
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by adewale2011(m): 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2023
In summary, the main difference is the level of specialization and research involved. BSc(Hon) programs are typically for students who want to delve deeper into their chosen field and are interested in pursuing research or advanced study, while a BSc is a more general undergraduate science degree.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by sonofthunder: 5:24pm On Sep 25, 2023
PinkNature:
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.

Hysteresis (Sept 02, 2017).

I think Ghanaian universities offer just BSC cause all the folks I know who studied engineering there spent a year less.

Also most people I know from Nigeria graduated with BSC Hons regardless of grade.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by rawmandicky: 5:25pm On Sep 25, 2023
Reads more like it’s from ChatGPT just like the following

The primary difference between a Bachelor of Science (BSc) and a Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc Hons) lies in the level of academic achievement and the depth of study.

1. **Bachelor of Science (BSc):**
- A BSc is typically a three-year undergraduate degree program.
- It provides a broad foundation in a specific field of study, such as physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, or mathematics.
- BSc programs usually include a mix of core courses, electives, and practical work.
- Upon completion, students receive a BSc degree.

2. **Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc Hons):**
- A BSc Hons is an extended version of the BSc program, typically lasting for four years.
- It includes a more in-depth and research-focused curriculum.
- Students pursuing a BSc Hons often complete a research project or thesis in their final year.
- BSc Hons programs are generally considered more academically rigorous and may have higher entry requirements.
- Graduates are awarded a BSc Hons degree, which is seen as a mark of higher academic achievement.

In summary, while both BSc and BSc Hons are undergraduate degrees in science-related fields, the BSc Hons program typically involves a more intensive study, research, and a longer duration. It is often chosen by students who have a strong interest in research and academic excellence.

blueghost:
grin
The main difference between a Bachelor of Science (BSc) and a Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc Hons) lies in the level of academic achievement and the depth of study. Here are the key distinctions:

1. Academic Level:

BSc (Bachelor of Science): This is an undergraduate degree typically awarded upon the completion of a three-year program of study. It is a standard bachelor's degree that signifies the successful completion of a broad range of courses in a specific field of science.

BSc Hons (Bachelor of Science with Honours): This is also an undergraduate degree, but it is typically awarded after completing a four-year program of study. The "Hons" designation indicates that the degree includes an additional year of specialized and often more in-depth study compared to a regular BSc.

2. Depth of Study:

BSc: A BSc program provides a solid foundation in the chosen field of science, covering core topics and introducing students to various aspects of the subject. It is designed to give students a comprehensive understanding of the field but may not delve as deeply into specific topics.

BSc Hons: BSc Hons programs are more in-depth and specialized. They often involve advanced coursework, independent research projects, and a higher level of critical analysis. Students pursuing a BSc Hons typically have the opportunity to explore a specific area of their chosen field in greater detail.

3. Research Component:

BSc: While BSc programs may include some research opportunities or projects, they typically have a more structured curriculum with a focus on coursework and foundational knowledge.

BSc Hons: BSc Hons programs often include a substantial research component, where students are required to undertake an independent research project or thesis. This research component is a significant part of the program and allows students to develop research skills and contribute to the field's knowledge.

4. Career Opportunities:

BSc: A BSc degree provides a solid academic foundation and can lead to entry-level positions in various industries related to the field of science. It can also be a stepping stone to further education, such as master's or doctoral programs.

BSc Hons: A BSc Hons degree is often seen as a more prestigious qualification and can open doors to more advanced or specialized career opportunities. It is particularly valuable for those considering research-oriented careers or pursuing advanced degrees.

In summary, the key difference between BSc and BSc Hons is the level of academic achievement and the depth of study. BSc Hons programs typically involve an extra year of specialized study and a research component, making them more rigorous and research-oriented compared to standard BSc programs. The choice between the two depends on your academic and career goals.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by ndidibabe(f): 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:
I really don't think there is any difference in the two.

I graduated after two extra years and what was written in my certificate is Bsc (Hons) Chemical Engineering
Lol. Anyway in Naija, the hons is irrelevant because for all undergraduate courses, you must write a dissertation. In countries like UK, a student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by MightySparrow: 5:54pm On Sep 25, 2023
Which one concern me. My own has horns

B. SC (Horns)

Don't stand in my way, My B.Sc Will gore you.
grin grin grin
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Exceed15: 7:36pm On Sep 25, 2023
Does it matter?
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Ten06(m): 8:05pm On Sep 25, 2023
A BSc Hons (Bachelor of Science with Honours) is a degree program that typically requires an additional year of specialized study beyond a standard BSc (Bachelor of Science) degree. The main differences lie in the depth of study and the level of specialization.

In a BSc Hons program, students usually have the opportunity to engage in more advanced coursework, independent research, and sometimes even a final-year project or dissertation. This extra year allows for a deeper exploration of the chosen field of study, which can be advantageous for those seeking a more comprehensive understanding or planning to pursue further academic or research endeavors.

On the other hand, a standard BSc program is usually completed in three years and covers a broader range of topics within the chosen discipline. While it provides a solid foundation in the subject, it may not delve as deeply into specialized areas as an Honours program.

Ultimately, the choice between a BSc Hons and a BSc depends on your academic and career goals. If you're looking for a more in-depth and research-oriented experience, an Honours program might be the better choice. If you prefer a broader overview of the field, a standard BSc program could be suitable.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by aremubabs: 8:21pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
No carry over

I don't expect a graduate to still believe that students with carryovers end up with a Bsc (without honours).
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Dchampion65: 8:34pm On Sep 25, 2023
It is not really matter these days

B.Sc Hons are meant for those who graduates as at when due

B.Sc are meant for those who has extra years.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Heybeedee(m): 8:35pm On Sep 25, 2023
illicit:
At UNILORIN even if you have 3rd class, it's Hons

The only time you don't get Hons is when u have Pass
For real!

1 Like

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 25, 2023
highbee02:

Who told that B.Sc. doesn't require dissertation/project?
bsc project is not dissertation
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Gee64: 10:05pm On Sep 25, 2023
Honours or no honours, Nigerians nor dey smile as dem hold these certificates because no job even dey honour dem at the end of the day.
My 2:1 lie down for my box dey laugh me there. grin
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by albert19217(m): 10:14pm On Sep 25, 2023
Both BSc and BSc(Hon) degrees can be conferred upon completing the prescribed course duration, which can vary between three and four years depending on the country, provided the individual successfully finishes the program. The distinction lies in that if an individual completes the program within the designated time frame, they will be granted a BSc(Hon). However, if their studies is extend due to extension (carry over) by an additional two years, for example, stretching a four-year program to six years, they will be awarded a BSc without Honors.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by ericmor: 11:55pm On Sep 25, 2023
phemsie:

what u don't know pass u.

I graduated from Unilag (no 1 university in Nigeria) if u care to know

i was about to mention that because i also graduated from the school and extra year student also got the Hons
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by phemsie(m): 1:32am On Sep 26, 2023
NairaMaster1:

Which school is that? Because an engineering course can't be a BSc but B.Engr.

I am hearing this for the first time.

University of Lagos

And BEng is for university of technology only
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by phemsie(m): 1:33am On Sep 26, 2023
perdollar:
I think it means u were honourably discharged

I still graduated with a second class upper, for ur information
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by sirqeeboi(m): 6:27am On Sep 26, 2023
kapelvej:
Bsc chemical engineering ?
Na waaa. is it not supposed to be B.eng or something like that. Engineering is not science nawwww
There is science aspect of Engineering
They are not actually the same outside Nigeria, I have seen an international school Master degree requirement for Engineering that requires you have minimum 2.1 bsc in Engineering and 2.2 Beng for the Master.
Is like Nigeria institutions just use it anyhow.. there must be something that differentiates Bsc or Beng in Engineering.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by perdollar(m): 9:12am On Sep 26, 2023
phemsie:

I still graduated with a second class upper, for ur information
did I say anything wrong bro
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by phemsie(m): 11:35am On Sep 26, 2023
perdollar:
did I say anything wrong bro

perdollar:
I think it means u were honourably discharged

@bolded
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Deogratiasfx: 11:48am On Sep 26, 2023
kapelvej:
Bsc chemical engineering ?
Na waaa. is it not supposed to be B.eng or something like that. Engineering is not science nawwww

From CSU maybe.....
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by perdollar(m): 12:10pm On Sep 26, 2023
phemsie:

@bolded
ok. Honourably graduated
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by phemsie(m): 12:32pm On Sep 26, 2023
KingRabota:
Taaaaaaaa mechie onugi dia.

UNN ahead of everything and everyone else.

Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by Martinsuno: 1:59pm On Sep 26, 2023
A Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is thought to be more advanced than a Bachelor of Science degree. Academically, the Bsc (Hons) degree is considered to be higher than the regular Bsc degree.
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by highbee02: 5:08pm On Sep 26, 2023
Razgas:
bsc project is not dissertation

Sure now
Re: Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) by NairaMaster1(m): 9:24pm On Sep 26, 2023
phemsie:

University of Lagos

And BEng is for university of technology only

OK. Unilag is superb. Mine is B.Pharm from unijos. We don't have engineering. My secondary school mate got B.Eng from FUTY, that's all I know. Thanks bro. Good luck

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HND Holders Threaten Industrial Action, Lament Discrimination / Police Uncover Body Of Paul Erie, AAU Abducted Lecturer / Cancellation Of 2nd Choice Option In JAMB UTME 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.