Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato (41690 Views)

'How Tomato Paste Importers Are Killing Nigerians' - Erisco Foods (2015) / Nagiko Threatened To Kidnap & Kill Me Over Erisco Tomato Review - Chioma Egodi / Nigerian Yam Porridge Without Palm Oil: How Make Yam Porridge In Tomato Sauce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Hassan88(m): 7:41pm On Sep 25, 2023
Cooldowntemper:

Are you ready to get a job ?

Yes Please 🙏
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by ponishah: 7:43pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

Support Local manufacturers

Erisco is 100% local and only puree company that patronize local farmers

The problem with this IPOB youth is they talk carelessly online like they are invisible or mobs would protect them

You are just a stupic incurable bigot, she made commentt based on taste and she got arrested and you said that.
the police station would have been overfilled with nigerians and the whole world from comments people make on cocacola coke

5 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Nobody: 7:44pm On Sep 25, 2023
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by BrodaBenad: 7:44pm On Sep 25, 2023
osuofia2:
My Igbo brothers are making a lot of enemies for themselves this days

By reviewing a product?

Are you even listening to yourself?

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Babalegba(m): 7:46pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

The problem with this IPOB youth is they talk carelessly online like they are invisible or mobs would protect them

Fork off. I'm boycotting that useless intimidating manufacturer from today. It is idiotic of them to arrest an innocent citizen like that. It is an abuse of power and abuse of police time.
They should have countered her observations and compare their formulation with the others. I hope people boycott their products for this stupid brutality.

6 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by shegzee43: 7:46pm On Sep 25, 2023
yemex04:
I am 100% with the Erisco Foods Ltd. As much as the Consumer can always be right,the Manufacturers should equally be protected from sponsored & careless malicious defamation of their products.Customers can complain but certainly not through the Social Media..What if the Product conforms with acceptable standard? That your taste board feels higher concentration of sugar doesn't mean others will feel same.

It's her right as a consumer to make reviews through any medium.

4 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Makunahatata: 7:49pm On Sep 25, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
On what basis have these lady being arrested?

What crime did she commit?
be like u go like to join her😂
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by lascos912(m): 7:52pm On Sep 25, 2023
the company only have a right to sue her not to arrest her

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by hegelian: 7:52pm On Sep 25, 2023
SmartPolician:
I love this. Companies and government agencies must step up their games in monitoring what people post online.

You cannot be destroying the image that brands invested time, efforts and resources to build in the name of cruise.

Wrongdoings must have consequences in Nigeria.

In all of this, police is the enemy.. Must they be used every time to intimidate people.. Why arrest people for something like this and even whisking the person to Abuja.. This country na just banana republic..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by solex75(m): 7:53pm On Sep 25, 2023
yemex04:
I am 100% with the Erisco Foods Ltd. As much as the Consumer can always be right,the Manufacturers should equally be protected from sponsored & careless malicious defamation of their products.Customers can complain but certainly not through the Social Media..What if the Product conforms with acceptable standard? That your taste board feels higher concentration of sugar doesn't mean others will feel same.

You too hit the nail on the head!
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Hausa(m): 7:56pm On Sep 25, 2023
The comments I've been reading on this is so weird.
Did you all read her post?
She never said anything insensitive.

Mehn, things here dey embarrass me. OMG!

3 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by solex75(m): 7:56pm On Sep 25, 2023
lascos912:

No she needs to be arrested for questioning to ascertain if she was sponsored by competitors to run down the brand.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Omoluabi16(m): 7:57pm On Sep 25, 2023
In all of this, I think it is very easy to use the police to arrest somebody. Just have smoh power and money. Was a warrant even issued?
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Juniorangel(m): 7:59pm On Sep 25, 2023
Does the product have NAFDAC no, if not then the lady is line with what she said.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by soccerlite: 8:00pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

Laughable
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Slymonster(m): 8:00pm On Sep 25, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
You're a very foolish bigots. Your life must be very useless for you to carry ethnic issue on your head like gala like this.

I'm a Yoruba man living in ikorodu

Sense is far from you if not, you won't be supporting this kind of madness.

I've seen people complaining about products online, this is the first time I will see someone getting arrested for complaining about what she bought.

It's a shithole country, just look at the first page and see people supporting this rubbish erisco did.
Just like other countries and product around the world. There will always be negative review but you work towards it. The image they are trying to protect now has gone sour because most blogs have carried this story.

3 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by soccerlite: 8:02pm On Sep 25, 2023
Hausa:
The comments I've been reading on this is so weird.
Did you all read her post?
She never said anything insensitive.

Mehn, things here dey embarrass me. OMG!

That's what nairaland has turn into

A place of negativity, fraud, bigotry, lack of common sense

2 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by NOwazobia: 8:04pm On Sep 25, 2023
SmartPolician:
I love this. Companies and government agencies must step up their games in monitoring what people post online.

You cannot be destroying the image that brands invested time, efforts and resources to build in the name of cruise.

This is stupid.

Nothing wrong with what she said, she only gave a review base on her experience.

Apps, Movies, and anything manufacterd always pass through review all over the world.

Not very smart after all.

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Hedonisco: 8:05pm On Sep 25, 2023
Lawlessness in Nigeria is too much. You don't abuse the shitty system to show 'power' over every little thing. Even if you're rabidly litigious, this matter is purely civil. This is not what police 'arrests' anybody about. But because Nigeria is a jungle, every 'big man' who has small change must abuse the system to oppress anyone he feels bigger than who annoys him. Disgusting.

I hope this does more damage to the useless Erisco Foods. Nobody should buy their useless, SUGARY tomato poison.

Useless country.

3 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by samuelson06(m): 8:06pm On Sep 25, 2023
SmartPolician:

What if she was right?

2 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Julius1995(m): 8:08pm On Sep 25, 2023
This unfortunate guy will also talk about how it is the culture of Yoruba to show respect always. It would have been better if they dont give birth to people like you. I'm sure you are a muslim.
Bliss24:

If it's a job to fvck your mother ... Why not

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Bluffly: 8:09pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

It was an observation and doesn't warrant an arrest. All they need to do is prove her wrong. By rushing to seek an arrest means so something is fishing and they need to cover up asap by been fast. They will pay heavily if they are not careful. I hope the lady preserved the one she opened well

5 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Angelfrost(m): 8:10pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

I don't understand... She shouldn't have voiced her opinion about the product?!

Do you know how many companies and manufacturers get dragged online in America every single day?!! Do they go about arresting and oppressing the critics?!

There are better ways for the company to have reacted... For starters, do they even have an active and accessible customer support line?!!

Batch errors can occur in manufacturing processes... This is not alien or new. When you get such complaints, you investigate, even invite or reach out to those complaining, and then issue statements or even apologies.

But nope... Everything about your nation is using Security architecture to oppress those lower than you are.

If a well positioned and popular celebrity had made that statement online, would the company have taken the same action?!!! We both know the answer to that.

Let's stop encouraging lawlessness...!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by AkumTemi: 8:10pm On Sep 25, 2023
Wisdomkosi:
The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has said that it will issue a summon to Erisco Foods Limited over the arrest and detention of Chioma Egodi Jnr.

The Executive Vice Chairman/CEO of FCCPC, Barrister Babatunde Irukera, made this known on X (formerly Twitter) following the arrest of Egodi, who made a review of Erisco’s product.

“UPDATE: @fccpcnigeria operatives have confirmed arrest & transfer of the case to Abuja by the Police Force. She was no longer at the station on arrival,” Irukera posted.

“Working to determine exact current location & engaging Force HQ in Abuja. Summons being issued to @EriscoFoodsLtd immediately.”

The lady in question, Egodi Jnr, made a post on Facebook on September 17, 2023, where she said she tasted too much sugar in the tin tomato she bought, a product of Erisco Foods.

“I went to buy tin tomatoes yesterday (September 16) that I will use to make stew; I didn’t see Gino and Sonia, so I decided to buy this one,” she wrote.

“When I opened it, I decided to taste it omo! Sugar is just too much! Haaa biko let me know if you have used this Tin tomato before because this is an ike gwuru situation!”

The management of Erisco Foods Limited thereafter issued an official statement about the post Egodi made on Facebook about their product and also said they would take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on their reputation.

“The attention of Erisco Foods Limited has been drawn to a Facebook post by one Chioma Egodi Jnr on September 17, 2023, alleging that Nagtko Tomato Mix, one of the three tomato paste variants of Erisco Foods Limited, contains an unhealthy amount of sugar and therefore not fit for human consumption,” Erisco wrote.

“While this claim is untrue and unfounded in its entirety, we wish to put on record that Erisco Foods Limited, from inception Is built on the vision and mission to manufacture and promote healthy, wholly Made-in-Nigeria tomato products with the commitment to feeding not only Nigerians but also Africans with healthy foods.

“Our Initial reaction was to ignore and disregard the post which was obviously intended to mistead our esteemed customers and discredit the image of Ensco Foods Limited, as previously instigated by some elements and syndicates who are uncomfortable with our increasing market dominance as a leading indigenous manufacturer of 100% natural tomato pastes. Considering, however, that Erisco Foods Limited has built a reputation as a credible organization committed to due process and the good of humanity, we have decided to bring the said publication to the attention of relevant authorities.

“In light of the above, we wish to reiterate that Erisco Foods Limited is solely committed to the production of healthy tomato products, including other products that have the full regulatory stamp and approval of NAFDAC and Standard Organization of Nigeria.

“While we recognize the rights of our consumers to make genuine observations about our products, we want to thank our esteemed customers for their continued patronage of Erisco Foods Limited. However, having built our reputation on healthy and quality products which have earned us both local and international awards, including the National Productivity Order of Merit Award, we will take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on our reputation.”

Egodi was arrested and whisked away to Abuja by the Police Force, as confirmed by the FCCPC boss, Irukera on X (formerly Twitter) on Monday.

“This has come to our attention @fccpcnigeria & we are engaged. Saw statement & deepening learning of the circumstances right now,” he posted.

“We have a team seeking to clarify arrest/detention status of the subject; & activating regulatory process to secure explanation from @EriscoFoodsLtd.”

Source : https://9newsng.com/erisco-foods-arrests-woman-for-saying-there-is-too-much-sugar-in-its-product/

The lady misfired with that rubbish post, why not buy other products if you are not okay with Erisco products. She is just looking for online attention and sympathy. It was just a childish attitude from the lady.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Bluffly: 8:11pm On Sep 25, 2023
SmartPolician:

Which stupid image is been destroyed. Is it different from the usual reviews we make on products online. They will pay for the step they took

3 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by cezarman(m): 8:12pm On Sep 25, 2023
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Southwestidiot: 8:13pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

Proper headline

Erisco reported to the authority debranding and demarketing of their products

Police authority took action to invite the culprit

Erisco did not arrest anyone, they reported a complaint

I know this person he dey work as a secretary for erisco

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by wirinet(m): 8:14pm On Sep 25, 2023
lascos912:
Sue her for what exactly? She did not say the product was spoilt or poisoned, she only complained of too much sugar.
Customer reviews are part and parcel of marketing, some companies pay millions of naira to obtain customer reviews. Erisco should gave used this negative review to their marketing advantage (that is if what the lady said was false). They should have engaged her by stating the exact percentage of sugar in their product. Arresting her will bring negative publicity to the product and the company as a whole.

Except it can be proven that the lady had malicious intent, the case us dead on arrival.

3 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Angelfrost(m): 8:20pm On Sep 25, 2023
AkumTemi:

The lady misfired with that rubbish post, why not buy other products if you are not okay with Erisco products. She is just looking for online attention and sympathy. It was just a childish attitude from the lady.

You have already concluded when there is no evidence that the lady was wrong in her assertion or that she confessed to trying to ruin the company.

Batch errors occur in every area of production and manufacturing... Companies even recall their products or faulty batches.

I'm not taking sides personally, but the act of the company in the face of criticism is looking more oppressive and dictatorial especially in a democratic dispensation.

Why not invite the person and check the product in question to determine or disprove her assertions before allowing the law take action... Why quickly resort to oppression?!!

Abi is there more to the story?!!

...And by the way, what are NAFDAC and SON saying about this?!! This should fall squarely within their jurisdiction.

4 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by NOwazobia: 8:22pm On Sep 25, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
You're a very foolish bigots. Your life must be very useless for you to carry ethnic issue on your head like gala like this.

I'm a Yoruba man living in ikorodu

Sense is far from you if not, you won't be supporting this kind of madness.

I've seen people complaining about products online, this is the first time I will see someone getting arrested for complaining about what she bought.
They are further sending a very wrong signal to the public about their product.

Arresting a customer for simply giving a review with her experience is the height of stupidity and a very bad marketing team they must have.

3 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by ceejay80s(m): 8:25pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

PS:

Proper headline

Erisco reported to the authority debranding and demarketing of their products

Police authority took action to invite the culprit

Erisco did not arrest anyone, they reported a complaint

Where is ur brain, idiotica

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Party Guests Served Food From A Hot Stove In Nigeria (Video) / Name Any Nigerian Dish And The Tribe It's Associated With / Abuja Based Man Downs Plate Of Rice Garnished With 'Exotic' Lizard Meat. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.