Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,816 members, 7,827,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato (41642 Views)

'How Tomato Paste Importers Are Killing Nigerians' - Erisco Foods (2015) / Nagiko Threatened To Kidnap & Kill Me Over Erisco Tomato Review - Chioma Egodi / Nigerian Yam Porridge Without Palm Oil: How Make Yam Porridge In Tomato Sauce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Advancedman(m): 10:11pm On Sep 25, 2023
Wisdomkosi:
The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has said that it will issue a summon to Erisco Foods Limited over the arrest and detention of Chioma Egodi Jnr.

The Executive Vice Chairman/CEO of FCCPC, Barrister Babatunde Irukera, made this known on X (formerly Twitter) following the arrest of Egodi, who made a review of Erisco’s product.

“UPDATE: @fccpcnigeria operatives have confirmed arrest & transfer of the case to Abuja by the Police Force. She was no longer at the station on arrival,” Irukera posted.

“Working to determine exact current location & engaging Force HQ in Abuja. Summons being issued to @EriscoFoodsLtd immediately.”

The lady in question, Egodi Jnr, made a post on Facebook on September 17, 2023, where she said she tasted too much sugar in the tin tomato she bought, a product of Erisco Foods.

“I went to buy tin tomatoes yesterday (September 16) that I will use to make stew; I didn’t see Gino and Sonia, so I decided to buy this one,” she wrote.

“When I opened it, I decided to taste it omo! Sugar is just too much! Haaa biko let me know if you have used this Tin tomato before because this is an ike gwuru situation!”

The management of Erisco Foods Limited thereafter issued an official statement about the post Egodi made on Facebook about their product and also said they would take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on their reputation.

“The attention of Erisco Foods Limited has been drawn to a Facebook post by one Chioma Egodi Jnr on September 17, 2023, alleging that Nagtko Tomato Mix, one of the three tomato paste variants of Erisco Foods Limited, contains an unhealthy amount of sugar and therefore not fit for human consumption,” Erisco wrote.

“While this claim is untrue and unfounded in its entirety, we wish to put on record that Erisco Foods Limited, from inception Is built on the vision and mission to manufacture and promote healthy, wholly Made-in-Nigeria tomato products with the commitment to feeding not only Nigerians but also Africans with healthy foods.

“Our Initial reaction was to ignore and disregard the post which was obviously intended to mistead our esteemed customers and discredit the image of Ensco Foods Limited, as previously instigated by some elements and syndicates who are uncomfortable with our increasing market dominance as a leading indigenous manufacturer of 100% natural tomato pastes. Considering, however, that Erisco Foods Limited has built a reputation as a credible organization committed to due process and the good of humanity, we have decided to bring the said publication to the attention of relevant authorities.

“In light of the above, we wish to reiterate that Erisco Foods Limited is solely committed to the production of healthy tomato products, including other products that have the full regulatory stamp and approval of NAFDAC and Standard Organization of Nigeria.

“While we recognize the rights of our consumers to make genuine observations about our products, we want to thank our esteemed customers for their continued patronage of Erisco Foods Limited. However, having built our reputation on healthy and quality products which have earned us both local and international awards, including the National Productivity Order of Merit Award, we will take all necessary actions against any malicious attack on our reputation.”

Egodi was arrested and whisked away to Abuja by the Police Force, as confirmed by the FCCPC boss, Irukera on X (formerly Twitter) on Monday.

“This has come to our attention @fccpcnigeria & we are engaged. Saw statement & deepening learning of the circumstances right now,” he posted.

“We have a team seeking to clarify arrest/detention status of the subject; & activating regulatory process to secure explanation from @EriscoFoodsLtd.”

Source : https://9newsng.com/erisco-foods-arrests-woman-for-saying-there-is-too-much-sugar-in-its-product/

She was only served her own stew.
She ought to have channel her discovery of infraction to the right channel by notifying the appropriate Agencies and Authority including the company.
Until they failed to recall the product and compensate for the inconveniences before she can drag them online.
Note it's also subject to others consumers with similar complaint.
Calling other competitors product brand is a NO!
Everything is not social media cruise this is an official matter.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by FireUpNow(m): 10:13pm On Sep 25, 2023
Most of this food companies are another danger in harming consumers through their products. The atrocities are becoming too much
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by NoToPile: 10:15pm On Sep 25, 2023
I saw the post on FB, I didn't get to read the killing part though I only saw the review part and I wondered what Ike gwuru meant.

On that same FB another person gave excellent reviews of one tomato and pepper paste I think by Tiger foods that I can't remember it's name now I wasn't interested because I use tinned tomato for jollof only.

They also said Tiger products are of good quality, well I have used their bay leaves and curry masala and they are quite good and I agreed with them in my mind.

What I don't get is why arresting her, if you feel she's defamed your product sue her, go to court shikena. Which one is whisking away, transferring case to Abuja Lori kini? this police intimidation when you are influential is nonsense.

It's a customer review in my opinion, we can't pretend some tinned tomatoes don't contain sweeteners.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by yemex04(m): 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2023
Mckandre:
can u [b]prove she was sponsored or affiliated with a competitor? [/b]Consumers have every right to review the product they patronise,its only in Nigeria I've seen consumers harassed for making reviews.must every review be a positive one? Its left for the company to come out in ads and media to debunk such claims and reach out to that customers and reason with them amicably and run their in house investigation on that production line. Its only Coca-Cola that understood the importance of customer relation because its not an indigenous company.

The bolded.
But you can out outrightly rule the possibility of her sponsorship. This is Nigeria, it is possible! The Police investigation should unravel that. If she kills the company via her so called reviews which can be done through another channel, 100s of jobs will be lost & people like you will still complain of lack of Jobs forgetting that you have carelessly or willfully contributed to the death of the few Jobs available. Moreover,wether or not a Product(Food) is healthy for consumption can only determined by a subjective chemical properties of same by regulatory bodies like NAFDAC/SON & not by mere taste of an Individual whose taste board might have been affected by anything.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by BabaIbo: 10:23pm On Sep 25, 2023
solex75:

No she needs to be arrested for questioning to ascertain if she was sponsored by competitors to run down the brand.

Pov erty don disfi gure your brain, so you don't know your rig hts again.

She can't be arrested because it is oppression but can be invited for questioning.

If she is educated and buoyant, she will make good fortune from this stupid act of that company.

Infact, I don ban any of their products from my house.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by EjehDtiger: 10:25pm On Sep 25, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool
In all my experience as a marketer product reviews and feedbacks are key aspect of marketing. I don't see why erisco should arrest chioma for drawing their attention to what she doesn't like about a product she bought from them.

Chioma don't worry, just a few days of mosquitoes and you'll be out. Just get ready to sue the ass of erisco or whatever they call themselves, they just made you rich.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by toprealman: 10:35pm On Sep 25, 2023
She only asked a question!!!
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by bukatyne(f): 10:40pm On Sep 25, 2023
Extraordinary things happen daily in Nigeria.

And the thought process of some NLers? Even more extraordinary shocked
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by 2elliot: 10:41pm On Sep 25, 2023
SmartPolician:

She should go and prove it in court.

Do you know what it means to have sugar in tin tomatoes?

What is sugar doing in a tomato paste company?

As far as I am concerned, that lady was only catching cruise. So, she never saw this coming. She obviously belongs to the "Come and beat me; I dey my house" crew. Now, she's getting what she deserves.

There are people who are obsessed with what they will post online every day just to stay relevant because they feed on clout chasing. It's okay if they chose to live that kind of lifestyle, but not at the detriment of another man's efforts, resources and time.
U be mumu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by falopey: 10:49pm On Sep 25, 2023
yemex04:
I am 100% with the Erisco Foods Ltd. As much as the Consumer can always be right,the Manufacturers should equally be protected from sponsored & careless malicious defamation of their products.Customers can complain but certainly not through the Social Media..What if the Product conforms with acceptable standard? That your taste board feels higher concentration of sugar doesn't mean others will feel same.

Here in the US, we leave both negative and positive reviews on products we buy everyday whether our taste bud is wrong or right. No one threatens or arrests us. This can only happen in the “zoo” called Nigeria and “zoogerians” would think this is okay. Customers are always right. Reviews are meant to make manufacturers do better

2 Likes

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by 2elliot: 10:58pm On Sep 25, 2023
Luckysbab:

In her follow up comment, she insinuatedtbe product had the capacity to kill. Obviously that was out of spite.
Even a child knows that sugar can kill, so what is your point?
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by sucess001(m): 11:02pm On Sep 25, 2023
SmartPolician:
I love this. Companies and government agencies must step up their games in monitoring what people post online.

You cannot be destroying the image that brands invested time, efforts and resources to build in the name of cruise.

Wrongdoings must have consequences in Nigeria.

Ode
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by fineberry(m): 11:02pm On Sep 25, 2023
Some people are their own problem.

Its Not everything you see that you talk.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by mkoabiola: 11:03pm On Sep 25, 2023
Why would she be arrested?

What if truly there was sugar in that particular tomato?
What will happen after arrest
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Mckandre(m): 11:05pm On Sep 25, 2023
yemex04:

The bolded.
But you can out outrightly rule the possibility of her sponsorship. This is Nigeria, it is possible! The Police investigation should unravel that. If she kills the company via her so called reviews which can be done through another channel, 100s of jobs will be lost & people like you will still complain of lack of Jobs forgetting that you have carelessly or willfully contributed to the death of the few Jobs available. Moreover,wether or not a Product(Food) is healthy for consumption can only determined by a subjective chemical properties of same by regulatory bodies like NAFDAC/SON & not by mere taste of an Individual whose taste board might have been affected by anything.
sentiments🤦🏽‍♂️one thing that affect most Nigerians is attaching emotions on running business without minding their's bound to be challenges,they think every negative feedback from people is always on a mission to bring down their business. Once you go public with your commodities,theirs bound to be mix reactions from people of various class and taste that have used variety of other products,which exposes u to various scrutiny from them. See they apprehended one person because of her review,what happens to other people? u can't silence everyone at ones pal. LOTELA Beauty parlour comes to mind,hows things going about for her? Look at tecno product, despite people backlash of their phones,they re still waxing strong because they listen and improve from people reviews.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Ikea81: 11:09pm On Sep 25, 2023
Arrest her for what? whats her offence. so i cant voice my opinion. mtchew
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by sisisioge: 11:09pm On Sep 25, 2023
grin grin grin

Local girl no understand brand protection. She go understand by the time the matter reach court. She better ask Falz papa to represent her cos brands like that have a whole unit dedicated to legal matters grin
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by ConfidentialDoc: 11:13pm On Sep 25, 2023
Bliss24:
cool

Support Local manufacturers

Erisco is 100% local and only puree company that patronize local farmers

The problem with this IPOB youth is they talk carelessly online like they are invisible or mobs would protect them

PS:

Proper headline

Erisco reported to the authority debranding and demarketing of their products

Police authority took action to invite the culprit

Erisco did not arrest anyone, they reported a complaint

Then no one is safe anymore.
So it's now a crime to voice your dissatisfaction with a particular brand or service.

Let's all just boycott the SM space since there's no longer freedom.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by nedekid: 11:35pm On Sep 25, 2023
SmartPolician:
I love this. Companies and government agencies must step up their games in monitoring what people post online.

You cannot be destroying the image that brands invested time, efforts and resources to build in the name of cruise.

Oga, Supprisenly, last week I was at justrite doing the normal grocery shopping. I wanted to buy tomatoe paste, I usually buy that gino brand that has onion and pepper. I saw the nice looking erisco product and decided to buy as it is a Nigerian brand. Guess what? madam stopped me. I asked why, she said it was supplied to the catering department of her place of work and the cooks used it, people complained about the food, the caterers said it was the paste supplied to them that was unsatisfactory. That batch of paste was discarded for the regular paste they use. This is a relatively large catering that feeds over 650 people daily.
I thought of calling or writing the customer service of the company to express my observation as a feedback but forgot. And reading about this ladies ordeal, guess I saved my arse by not writing them.
While I believe we should patronize this Nigerian brand, obviously they have an issue that that needs to be sorted out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by kkins25(m): 11:43pm On Sep 25, 2023
maureensylvia:

She didn’t choose her words properly
There’s a room for constructive criticism, she didn’t apply it
The negative review is understandable but going further to mention killing, I think it irked the company
Their business
the only legal approach was to sue her...arresting her was illegal.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by kkins25(m): 11:44pm On Sep 25, 2023
sisisioge:
grin grin grin

Local girl no understand brand protection. She go understand by the time the matter reach court. She better ask Falz papa to represent her cos brands like that have a whole unit dedicated to legal matters grin
she will counter sue them nd d police..
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by nedekid: 11:46pm On Sep 25, 2023
fineberry:
Some people are their own problem.

Its Not everything you see that you talk.
Abi, that is my attitude now. Mind my business. While back then people take criticism positively, it helps them make amends, but now, na fight, it causes quarrel.
You tell someone he needs to get roll on because of armpit odor, or tell a person he has mouth odour, they take it as insult.
The other day, I was ast the bank and met an old schoolmate, I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. She asked me what happen to my elbow, that how could I leave the house like that? That is not that it was me, she would have said it was craw craw! Lolz. On my observation I saw it was dry skin, just like hammatan. Note ohh, I always day AC, from house to car to office, and I don't rub cream. It looked unpleasant. Omo, I thanked her ohh. When I got home I was upset no one told me. I had to get a moisuriser to rub daily and it cleared within 3 days. Now I regularly mosturise for the dry skin.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by fkj950ax(m): 11:52pm On Sep 25, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
On what basis have these lady being arrested?

What crime did she commit?

The minimum is libel.
She has to show evidence of people killed by the product.
Secondly, if there is no sugar in the ingredients of the product, then she has to demonstrate where she found sugar and also, what the economic and financial implications of her statement is on the business.
There is freedom of speech, but it has its limit.
I hope her father has money sha because the damages or out of court settlement will be beautiful

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by LADEMINUS: 11:55pm On Sep 25, 2023
ify84:
There is no law that says people can't do review of goods on public forum. Erisco is wrong and will suffer damages more as people will side with the young lady more.

You may have missed the part she said the ingredient was killing people on her wall...

It's called defamation.

The Law is an ass

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by LADEMINUS: 11:56pm On Sep 25, 2023
nedekid:

Abi, that is my attitude now. Mind my business. While back then people take criticism positively, it helps them make amends, but now, na fight, it causes quarrel.
You tell someone he needs to get roll on because of armpit odor, or tell a person he has mouth odour, they take it as insult.
The other day, I was ast the bank and met an old schoolmate, I was wearing a short sleeve shirt. She asked me what happen to my elbow, that how could I leave the house like that? That is not that it was me, she would have said it was craw craw! Lolz. On my observation I saw it was dry skin, just like hammatan. Note ohh, I always day AC, from house to car to office, and I don't rub cream. It looked unpleasant. Omo, I thanked her ohh. When I got home I was upset no one told me. I had to get a moisuriser to rub daily and it cleared within 3 days. Now I regularly mosturise for the dry skin.

Great, now imagine that lady had said your hand was white because you probably do drugs....

Get it?
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Godsonkemz(m): 12:05am On Sep 26, 2023
The customer is always right because he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches. If the product tastes sugar, the company has an explanation to the public to counter the claim not by victimizing the complainant because of her review which further validates her claim.
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Nobody: 12:22am On Sep 26, 2023
Why are we so wicked to ourselves, erisco is the only surviving indigenous tomato paste in Nigeria.

I wonder, how a Nigerian will want to pull down his own product. Yet we cry of being treated like slaves in foreign owned companies.

I have used, this product especially while i was at school. It doesn't have any sugary taste.

Why are women this wicked, that was how one fool came out to say, eniola badmus love-vendor girls to politicians.

Another girls came out to accuse davido of impregnating them just for clout.

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Nobody: 12:26am On Sep 26, 2023
Godsonkemz:
The customer is always right because he who wears the shoe knows where it pinches. If the product tastes sugar, the company has an explanation to the public to counter the claim not by victimizing the complainant because of her review which further validates her claim.
Are you aware, nafdac reviews ingredients used in production .

These companies also take gift items to these nafdac officials to fast track any documentation.

Or nafdac staff are also not customers.

I see why, most indigenous companies use their fellow citizens like mumu to work. Walaihi most nigerians have wickedness in their hearts. Yet they attend religious gatherings the most

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 26, 2023
kkins25:

she will counter sue them nd d police..
please goto her page and see the derogatory words she used, when a lady asked her why she was attacking her brother's business

1 Like

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by Ayatullah(m): 12:38am On Sep 26, 2023
[quote author=NoToPile post=126020301]I saw the post on FB, I didn't get to read the killing part though I only saw the review part and I wondered what Ike gwuru meant.

On that same FB another person gave excellent reviews of one tomato and pepper paste I think by Tiger foods that I can't remember it's name now I wasn't interested because I use tinned tomato for jollof only.

They also said Tiger products are of good quality, well I have used their bay leaves and curry masala and they are quite good and I agreed with them in my mind.

What I don't get is why arresting her, if you feel she's defamed your product sue her, go to court shikena. Which one is whisking away, transferring case to Abuja Lori kini? this police intimidation when you are influential is nonsense.

It's a customer review in my opinion, we can't pretend some tinned tomatoes don't contain sweeteners.[quote author=NoToPile post=126020301]I

As long as our policemen love to please and dance to the tunes of the moneybags ordinary citizens will always be oppressed.

It is very clear ERISCO oppressed the lady in question.

Let's give kudos to the concerned agency now rising up to condemn ERISCO's illegal arrest and oppression.

Shame on ERISCO FOODS!

Shame on the NPF for illegal arrest.

Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by YouAreNobody: 12:59am On Sep 26, 2023
SmartPolician:

Some of your comments on this forum make me wonder if you have a functional brain.
Well, I wouldn't blame you though, you live in a shithole and you've never left the shithole so you reason like a shithead
Re: Erisco Foods Arrests Chioma Egodi For Saying There Is Too Much Sugar In Tomato by MeineMutter: 1:22am On Sep 26, 2023
Let NAFDAC take samples across Nigerian markets for laboratory analysis. It’s as simple as that.

Let another independent lab do the same and compare their findings and then make the report public.

The lady in question didn’t do anything out of order.

She’s just being hara.ssed and intimid.ated for airing her view about a product.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

White Rice With Spicy Chicken Stew. Fresh Tomatoes Is Scarce Today So.... / Lady Orders Cake for her Baby's Birthday Online, But See What was Delivered. PIX / Party Guests Served Food From A Hot Stove In Nigeria (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.