Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,780 members, 7,851,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:16 AM

Face of Absolute Poverty - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Face of Absolute Poverty (1791 Views)

United States Army Incredible Nuclear Missiles Of Absolute Devastation. / US To Give Buhari $2.3bn To Fight Poverty / Allowing Britain To Atack In Sokoto Was An Act Of Absolute Folly By Gej (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Face of Absolute Poverty by osisi5: 4:38pm On Sep 13, 2007
doyin13:

@osisi

It is the fate of charity in the world that much of the
effort will be inefficiently dissipated, regardless of where
the charity operates, first or third world. It occurs so frequently to
qualify as a truism.

Now it is especially tragic in the third world where the failure of aid
has even graver consequences.

But I will never question the moral uprightness of charity workers.
Unlike the cynical ones amongst us, they make sacrifices to a society
which more than often does not appreciate them.

In my opinion they should a priori get the benefit of doubt

I understand your point but I doubt if social work is charity work.
In nigeria social workers can only be as efficient as the government
so they have just a fraction of the blame.
I don't expect them to build houses and house people out of their pockets but I expect it to be part of what they should push for.
If truly this situation is as bad as it seems,that must be their next agenda that children should not be living on the streets.
And our government ought to hear that plea.
Re: Face of Absolute Poverty by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 13, 2007
Again Osisi, how can you substanciate such claims you are making, I and my collgues work really hard and justify any fund we recieve. We cannot afford to pay for so much publicity so much of our work is unnoticed except by the few beneficiaries.
For your information, my Organisation does not recieve one cent from USAID because of some policy issues. So our funding right now is pathetic, we have to source funding from private sources and projects on consultancy basis but we are one of the Oldest and most credible NGO in Nigeria, we have been operating for 45 years and we have strong grassroot presence. true there are some chop money NGOs but it is wrong to write off the whole system as failed.
A lot of us work for months some times without pay, most peole have left but some of us who are in it not for the money but for the passion are still here so it is wrong to make such sweeping statements
Re: Face of Absolute Poverty by doyin13(m): 4:59pm On Sep 13, 2007
Well I hate the term 'government', cause it is a bit impersonal
and relly doesn't place responsibility on any body.

Same as 'society', which assumes we are one identical collective.

I think it is a naive distinction between the corrupt third world and
relatively cherubic developed world. Corruption prolly occurs in similar proportions
only in different sectors and of a somewhat different nature.

People also bloody get royally screwed out of their money in America.

All this diatribes against the govenment are all well and good but I fear they are
directed against the wrong cause

The problem is that Money stolen leaves the country and essentially is a form of thrift.
And even the Bible from the parable of the talents frowns upon it.

The Rockefellers, Henry Fords and the monopolists of the early industrial era had no such
conduit for their money. They money had to circulate in a system which enjoyed the consequences
of further re-investment of illicit profits

I am aware I might be making an argument for corruption, perhaps I am, but I would rather think I am being realistic.

IF we can eliminate the tunnels through which these monies are siphoned out of our society
then it might not matter if this money is stolen or not.

My apologies for the monologue by the way grin grin
Re: Face of Absolute Poverty by Mamajama(m): 6:01pm On Sep 13, 2007
Question how were our fore fathers able to provide and feed their families back in the days? AGRICULTURE> Not until we go back to our root and reconcile with what makes us the GIANTS of AFRICA. we will always continue to have this poverty issue. A farmer can never go hungry, every one need food to survive and people need to stop migrating to places where they have no skills to enable them get a fair living condition. What happen to operation green nation? Operation feed the nation? better life for rural women?
Re: Face of Absolute Poverty by Afam(m): 7:48pm On Sep 13, 2007
aisha2:

Again Osisi, how can you substanciate such claims you are making, I and my collgues work really hard and justify any fund we recieve. We cannot afford to pay for so much publicity so much of our work is unnoticed except by the few beneficiaries.
For your information, my Organisation does not recieve one cent from USAID because of some policy issues. So our funding right now is pathetic, we have to source funding from private sources and projects on consultancy basis but we are one of the Oldest and most credible NGO in Nigeria, we have been operating for 45 years and we have strong grassroot presence. true there are some chop money NGOs but it is wrong to write off the whole system as failed.
A lot of us work for months some times without pay, most peole have left but some of us who are in it not for the money but for the passion are still here so it is wrong to make such sweeping statements

@aisha2,

What is the name of this NGO you work for? Hope you don't mind providing the name.
Re: Face of Absolute Poverty by labiyemmy(m): 10:08pm On Sep 13, 2007
dumb answers, dumb arguments -

justifying disobeying the laws of the land due to poverty or something is arrant nonsense, there are poor people in developed countries, there people who cant even afford education, who cant afford the basic things in life, but yet they obey the laws of the land, but in my country- it is good to disobey the laws of the land because people are poor, because people cant eat, because few people in government are bad - its all good to disobey the laws of the land and justify it in a way.

These same people will travel abroad and obey all the rules and regulations but when they come to Nigeria, they disobey every rule/law and order and when u dare accost them, they tell u who they are and even threaten u you will loose your job if u tell them to obey the law.

Good riddance to bad rubbish,
Re: Face of Absolute Poverty by tundewoods(m): 7:41am On Sep 14, 2007
@ Labiyemmy

You appear to me as highly ignorant and arrogant regarding the issues raised on this thread.The points raised about the face of absolute poverty by aisha2 is clear and obvious.

No matter how much you try to ignore the issue of social responsiblity it will continue to haunt the people in power,the citizens have to catered for with basic ammenities.

In most cases,the approvals for these illegal structures erected were given from the GOVT,how ever change in govt brings about insane new policies that leads to the new people on power suddenly declaring structures as illegal and marking them for demolition with out giving them an alternative settlement.

My dear boy,you certainly are unaware of the politics that goes on in Abuja so stop ranting about what you know little or nothing about.

@labiyemmy:

dumb answers, dumb arguments -

Please stop refering to people's post as DUMB that is quite a dumb thing to do
Re: Face of Absolute Poverty by labiyemmy(m): 3:43pm On Sep 14, 2007
who is your boy?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Hated In South Africa, Watch Video / Not A Single Job Vacancy In Lagos State? / T.b Joshua Predicts Suicide Bombing On Local Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.