Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,043 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso (22921 Views)

FOREX Crises: 2024 Budget Suffers Major Dislocations / 2023: I Will Tackle Insecurity As President - Amaechi / Femi Adesina: Buhari Will Tackle All Our Challenges Before Leaving Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by dre11(m): 10:04am On Sep 27, 2023
CBN governor: transparency, compliance to rules will be upheld

Michael Olayemi Cardoso yesterday began his tenure as the 12th Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) governor following his clearance for the position by the Senate.

He promised to provide transparent and focused leadership with full adherence to the rules and return the apex bank to its core monetary policy responsibility.

He also pledged to work in synergy with the fiscal authorities in the overall interest of the economy in the short and medium term.

Cardoso, 66, a former chairman of Citi Bank, was Lagos State Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning.

He spoke during his screening alongside the four deputy governors by the Senate. All of them were cleared.

The deputy governors are: Mrs. Emem Usoro, Mr. Muhammad Sani Abdullahi Dattijo, Mr. Philip Ikeazor and Dr. Bala M. Bello.

The deputy governors also responded to some of the questions posed by senators, including Senate President Godswill Akpabio.

All the nominees left the senators in no doubt about their capacity and capability.

Cardoso said for 12 years, between 2010 and 2022 he had the privilege of serving as the chairman of Citi Bank where: “I dedicated myself to enhancing both the financial and non-financial operations of the institution.’’

He told the Senate that the issue of exchange rate of the Naira to other currencies was worrisome.

For the type of economy that we want, we need to have an exchange rate that is stable and we must apply short and medium term measures to achieve this,’’ he said.

Cardoso added that CBN’s new management team would evolve rules that were open and transparent and comprehensible by all players in the finance business.

“We cannot expect serious foreign investors and portfolio investors who have an impact on the market to do so if we do not have a transparent system that everybody understands and can rely on,’’ he said.

On inflation, he said: “There is the need to significantly revamp the infrastructure at the central bank with respect to data and to ensure that our data gathering capacity is significantly enhanced.

“This is necessary so that we can make decisions based on stellar data. This is crucial in measuring inflation
,’’ he stressed.

He added that reliable studies showed that in the past 10 years to 15 years, at least 50 per cent of inflation resulted from money supply and deficit financing.

“This is a big problem; at least it certainly has been over a period of time and it is something we have to face frontally.

“You have been hearing a lot of complaints. There are various measures to be taken and some of them are already being taken like the removal of fuel subsidy and fast-tracking the collection of taxes,” he said.

Cardoso added: “In refocusing CBN to its core mandate, there is need to pull the CBN back from direct development, finance interventions into more limited advisory roles that support economic growth. These advisory roles would include, for instance, one, act as a catalyst in propagation of specialized institutions and financial products that support emerging sectors of the economy, facilitate new regulatory frameworks to unlock enormous capital, accelerate access to consumer credit, and expand financial inclusions to the masses.”

He assured the Senate that the CBN under his watch will not be hijacked or used by politicians.

He said: “This is a position of great trust and with that it comes with huge responsibility to meet up that trust …and my idea is to do what is right and how it is right. We have seen the effect of not doing what is right and we do not intend to go that route.

“Secondly, on the issue of not obeying the hallowed chambers’ summons for conversation, frankly, I have absolute no doubt that that has got to be part of the engagements that I spoke about earlier.

“Part of that is that the law specifies that such dialogue should take place twice in a year and as I said in resetting the Central Bank, we must ensure that we do not run foul of the law.

“It goes back to the issue of culture of compliance. We are going to ensure we maintain a culture of compliance in the CBN. There will be zero tolerance for non-complying with orders and I can assure you that that tone would be fully set from the top.”

He added: “What is important to us is the element of economic growth. Our feeling is that in identifying the important issues with economic growth, we believe very strongly that size matters.

“The economic policy proposal of the administration has identified a set of fiscal reforms and growth patterns that will achieve $1trillion GDP within eight years.

“In reviewing selected growth targets that can achieve $1trn GDP, selected countries with large population and similar characteristics as Nigeria, it is interesting to identify micro-economics indicies that points to Nigeria’s economic trajectory, being faithful to implementation of the proposed economic reforms.

“In economies bigger than $1trillion, these indices include moderate inflation, sizeable foreign reserves and capacity to creating rebound from economic downturns.

“In other words, to the extent that the administration has defined such a bold target for the country, it is our feeling that achieving this is very critical to achieve the stability that we require in various economic indices.

“It is not the only thing, but it is very important. So we believe that this is the right way to go.

He insisted that the immediate issues his team would address at the CBN include both Operational and Systems.

He added: “It is what I will term uncorrelalational issues. We are aware that there are unsettled obligations by the CBN. Whether it is $4b, $5b or $7b I don’t know but definitely the immediate priority is to ascertain the extent.

“We need to find a way to take care of that. It will be naive for us to be expecting to succeed if we are not able to handle that side of the foreign exchange market.

According to him, the medium term measures in reviving the economy “have to do with balance of payments over a period of time like the sort of things that are being done already with respect to ensuring that we are getting more from petroleum resources with the removal of fuel subsidy and diversifying the economic base of the country.

“That I believe will continue by the present administration and of course it will take time. I think we should take that as a medium term measure than the immediate.”

Many financial experts rated the appearance of the CBN governor and his deputies high, especially their pledge to return the apex bank to its core responsibilities.

https://thenationonlineng.net/how-i-will-tackle-inflation-naira-forex-crises-by-cardoso/

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by kettykings: 10:07am On Sep 27, 2023
No clarity on how the endemic economic issues will be resolved

89 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Taylor92: 10:07am On Sep 27, 2023
Rubbish

No be Tinubu appoint you ?

We already know the ending from the beginning

100 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Runaway: 10:16am On Sep 27, 2023
Work and stop talking....

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Bruisecruise: 10:16am On Sep 27, 2023
Nonsense.

The same thing Emefiele said during his screening back then.

Naira is on a free fall forever till it becomes worthless to even the government of the day.

No single foreign entity willing to bring their valued dollar into the economy because your CBN and the presidency would quickly print Naira and mop it up within few days and all back to square 0.

If you like inject $500 billion dollars into the economy of Nigeria, it’d be gone within 3 days because those with control over the useless currency “Naira” would simply print trillions of it and take the valued dollars and keep for themselves.

80 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Ventura1: 10:16am On Sep 27, 2023
Okay, Tinubu have boasted about your pedigree.
We are watching cool

3 Likes

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Authoreety: 10:17am On Sep 27, 2023
Oya get to work big man

who else has noticed that buhari has not been invited for any international, national or even local gig since he left aso rock..?

That guy was a disaster😜

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Taylor92: 10:17am On Sep 27, 2023
Bliss62:
May God guide him
lipsrsealed

God will not guide him anything

God has already given us wisdom to choose between light and darkness

You won’t vote in darkness and gaslight God to turn it to light

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by iCauseTrouble: 10:17am On Sep 27, 2023
It is not too late to start earning in dollars, or buy dollars and keep.
This APC government is clueless.
I see Naira going to 2k+ per dollar before the end of Tinubu's tenure.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by tuoyoojo(m): 10:17am On Sep 27, 2023
How to kick start the economy

Encourage the growth of small and medium scale enterprises by reduce excess taxation, provide affordable power, cheap transportation and access road

Ensure the refineries are working and reduce our over dependency on oil

Invest in manufacturing and education

Speedy prosecution of financial fraud, starting from the top, no matter who you are. Make an example of 5 or 6 big men and see how everyone would fall in line

Above all , reduce govt spending spending or budget inflation and see how things would turn around

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by spartan50(m): 10:18am On Sep 27, 2023
Usual rubbish

3 Likes

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by olaiya2007(m): 10:18am On Sep 27, 2023
All the best

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by slivertongue: 10:18am On Sep 27, 2023
under APC all promises are cancelled

2 Likes

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Akfrenzy(m): 10:18am On Sep 27, 2023
grin EMEFIELE PRO MAX has spoken 😆😆😆

1 Like

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Zupay: 10:18am On Sep 27, 2023
Observation mode.

1 Like

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by bbode1(m): 10:19am On Sep 27, 2023
All his talk are just big English. Talk how u will tackle inflation and naira depreciation u dey talk shit

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by wittywriter: 10:19am On Sep 27, 2023
As usual...Future Continuous Statement...
The masses need action not words.

Wittyness

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Exceed15: 10:19am On Sep 27, 2023
Dem don start.. Get to work and let your result speaks for you..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by AmigoDeDon(m): 10:19am On Sep 27, 2023
I am waiting sir

Please make una patronize my hustle
Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Ikpunnegi01: 10:20am On Sep 27, 2023
grin😂 😂 😂 Oya Hit the ground aground! 😂 😂

3 Likes

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Viccur(m): 10:20am On Sep 27, 2023
No practical solution just theory

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by vincenteger: 10:20am On Sep 27, 2023
Just shut up and start working

An empty container makes the loudest sound

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Creamypie(m): 10:20am On Sep 27, 2023
Back and forth talk. Okonjo iweala and zoludo no talk. Them face work straight. the whole country enjoyed them b4 APC brought that forger of nysc, kemi wey start inflation problen

5 Likes

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Themanleshey: 10:20am On Sep 27, 2023
My own be say make una rescue this coun3 before he go spoil finish . We need results not talk !

Thank you .
Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by lightwind(m): 10:20am On Sep 27, 2023
Sir please help our naira to bouce back. Thank you.
God bless
Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by AwokenVawulence: 10:20am On Sep 27, 2023
A
Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by LordBillionz: 10:20am On Sep 27, 2023
Ventura1:
Okay, Tinubu have boasted about your pedigree.
We are watching cool
Same way he boasted about himself and we've sent the result
Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by clearcrystal: 10:21am On Sep 27, 2023
Nzogbu Nzogbu people will still complain

1 Like

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by adioolayi(m): 10:21am On Sep 27, 2023
I sincerely wish you all the best Mr. Cardosso..

May whatever you believe in guide you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by damoobaba: 10:21am On Sep 27, 2023
Ok, lets get the party started
Re: How I Will Tackle Inflation, Naira, Forex Crises, By Cardoso by Orathird: 10:22am On Sep 27, 2023
We will wait and see

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Northern Pastors Endorse Osinbajo’s Nomination- Guardian Newspaper / 700 Million Dollars Raw Cash Found In Petroleum Ministers House / Excess Crude Account Now $2.26bn – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.